Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VitalSigns posted:

The point was you're from a country that's 92% white, which might have something to do with why you've never heard the term.

Come to the Southern US, black people, hispanic people, etc refer to themselves as people of color all the time. :shrug:

Well, it sounds like insincere patronizing, and only barely one step above saying "colored folk".
But if minorities use it, then I won't argue the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

sex things should not be used as jokes. that is why it's only with the most solemn face that I tell you all braniac five was caught doing sex things with a cd-rom of civilization 2 in a broom closet when they were a teen and their posting today reflects the tragic fact that they have never been able to surmount the all-suffusing shame they felt in that moment

EugeneJ posted:

I'm actually kind of insulted that B5 is claiming that anyone sucking off truckers is doing it for money

Some of us just do it for fun

:colbert:

So do these things sound convincing to you?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

WampaLord posted:

We were actually having a semi-good-faith discussion
Hah!

Also this because Kilroy probated himself leaving him unable to repost it.

Kilroy posted:

where do you stand?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

White Rock posted:

Hah!

Also because Kilroy probated himself leaving him unable to repost this.

So where do you stand on calling people gay whores as an insult?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

EugeneJ posted:

I'm actually kind of insulted that B5 is claiming that anyone sucking off truckers is doing it for money

Some of us just do it for fun

:colbert:

you don't give stds by sucking someone off, dummy

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

Hey Rodatose, is calling someone gay and a prostitute acceptable as an insult or not? I'm guessing you think it's OK judging from your smarmy little post here but I'm curious if you've got the guts to say so outright.

I didn't see any mention of payment.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

So where do you stand on calling people gay whores as an insult?

Who said you're gay?

We already know you're a whore

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

I didn't see any mention of payment.

Ah, that makes it all right. So how long before an LGBT person sasses you and you gaybash 'em in response?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Rodatose is giggling to himself about how I'm gonna eat it for not respecting Bernie voters enough, and yet all the Bernie voters in this thread feel fine with calling someone a fag to insult them. I guess we know where you stand on gay rights- forever second class.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is getting tedious.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

This is getting tedious.

I'm not surprised you're in favor of homophobic insults, rudatron. That is one of the least surprising things about you.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
i'm giggling because you ramble like some character in a russian novel who's completely detached from reality and makes grand monologues to everyone in earshot

you aren't going to "eat it" in any way

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I want all of you guys to take a step back, look at that b5 post, and ask yourself this:

"Is this person worth my time?"

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

sweet baby jesus, just put him on ignore and stop talking to him people
pages and pages of this poo poo

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

i'm giggling because you ramble like some character in a russian novel who's completely detached from reality and makes grand monologues to everyone in earshot

And that makes it okay to call me gay as an insult. I see. I hope you are stopped before you do anything to hurt the LGBT people around you.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

And that makes it okay to call me gay as an insult. I see. I hope you are stopped before you do anything to hurt the LGBT people around you.

In my mind I'm imagining the clock on your computer is hosed up and you still think the primary is going on in 2016

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
i don't hurt any lgbtq people around me, as i'm a sub. also way to forget the q, as fake allies always do. you have lost the chance to prove yourself as a high-tier gay and fall to the 'dan savage' tier

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Kingfish posted:

Haha oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlzx8D4hYw

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

Ah, that makes it all right. So how long before an LGBT person sasses you and you gaybash 'em in response?

I didn't say it was alright, I was just correcting a blatant lie. It's interesting how even when you are insulted and in the right, you still feel compelled to engage in such reckless hyperbole.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

rudatron posted:

I want all of you guys to take a step back, look at that b5 post, and ask yourself this:

"Is this person worth my time?"

I can't look away

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816838&userid=184018#post473037920

Is this post acceptable? Furthermore, would it be acceptable if it hadn't been addressed to me?

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

I didn't say it was alright, I was just correcting a blatant lie. It's interesting how even when you are insulted and in the right, you still feel compelled to engage in such reckless hyperbole.

Oh gently caress off. If I was in the right in your eyes, you'd have condemned the insult instead of making the post you had.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816838&userid=184018#post473037920

Is this post acceptable? Furthermore, would it be acceptable if it hadn't been addressed to me?

Humor is a thing that exists - by reading your posts, you would never know it

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Mister Facetious posted:

Well, it sounds like insincere patronizing, and only barely one step above saying "colored folk".
But if minorities use it, then I won't argue the point.
If you personally don't want to use the term "people of color", then I don't think it matters much if you decide not to. I think there's a pretty solid argument that noun-ify-ing adjectives like "blacks" is best avoided. There's not any obvious overt malice in that construction, but keeping adjectives as adjectives and nouns as nouns is just clearly better, unless someone has an active desire to remove humanity from specific groups.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

It's almost like he isn't posting in good faith and is trying to generate as much chaos as possible by interpretating every post in the most extreme fashion possible.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That whole derail started with 'Medicare for all' being dishonest or some poo poo. The Soviet equivalent would be 'peace, land & bread'. Incidentally one of the greatest slogans ever.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

Oh gently caress off. If I was in the right in your eyes, you'd have condemned the insult instead of making the post you had.

Nice, now you try to police when and where I gently caress. Also, I did condemn the insult. When I read it I said, "poo poo, that was wrong to say," aloud, since I think important things like that should be said in person instead of by written correspondence.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
what about the queer erasure, braniac five? why have you not apologized for it? Does that mean you want to erase anyone identifying as queer or who fits into a queer category from the world? how soon will it be before you join alongside the chechens who are genociding quiltbag folks?

(spoken in b5 voice)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Rodatose posted:

thats not what happens in russian novels

Brainiac Five posted:

it's a very stupid post no matter who it's responding to. despite your pm'ing death threats to me i don't have it out for you like you seem to think

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Look, let me help you guys ignore b5. This guy recently had an interview on chapo, but his article is I think interesting to read, it being relevant to idpol: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/ta-nehisi-coates-racism-afro-pessimism-reparations-class-struggle

Thoughts?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

respond to b5's posts on their merits or you get a six-hour break. the same goes for b5. if you can't do it, don't post about it. cheers

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

what about the queer erasure, braniac five? why have you not apologized for it? Does that mean you want to erase anyone identifying as queer or who fits into a queer category from the world? how soon will it be before you join alongside the chechens who are genociding quiltbag folks?

(spoken in b5 voice)

So do you think posts like these are good ones for straight people to make?

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Nice, now you try to police when and where I gently caress. Also, I did condemn the insult. When I read it I said, "poo poo, that was wrong to say," aloud, since I think important things like that should be said in person instead of by written correspondence.

That's real funny. Another good joke would be if the people laughing up their sleeves about this got violently assaulted because they were thought to be gay, that'd be loving hilarious.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

R. Guyovich posted:

it's a very stupid post no matter who it's responding to. despite your pm'ing death threats to me i don't have it out for you like you seem to think

No, I think that because you gave me a month with "time for a break" as the reason and probated someone threatening me with death for only 6 hours.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

R. Guyovich posted:

thats not what happens in russian novels
sorry, like the specific small set of romantic era novels that get touted as "european russian literature", made by people like dostoyevsky where someone comes down with "brain fever"

you probably know of a lot more russian novels and could speak of them more representatively

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

That's real funny. Another good joke would be if the people laughing up their sleeves about this got violently assaulted because they were thought to be gay, that'd be loving hilarious.

Actually all of that sounds horrible to me. It's telling that you find that funny though.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Actually all of that sounds horrible to me. It's telling that you find that funny though.

I don't know, it would mean that those people might take homophobia more seriously, where they had not before. Ideally, it wouldn't have to come to such a traumatic experience, but judging from your post saying "lol i said it out loud haha gently caress you for thinking homophobia should be called out", I just don't think there's anything short of that that might work. Consider the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Rodatose posted:

sorry, like the specific small set of romantic era novels that get touted as "european russian literature", made by people like dostoyevsky where someone comes down with "brain fever"

you probably know of a lot more russian novels and could speak of them more representatively

no worries, i shouldn't have been so serious in dismissal. just razzing

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Brainiac Five posted:

i'm not gonna ask forums posters for their gay credentials or assume their fellow queer status one way or another so i don't know if random poster #1000000 on the internet is queer or straight unless they've told me

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

i'm not gonna ask forums posters for their gay credentials or assume their status one way or another so i don't know if random poster #1000000 on the internet is queer or straight unless they've told me

I mean, I can tell you're straight from the posts you've made, especially this one, and I'm sure you know what your sexual orientation is, so I'm asking you if you think posts like that are good to make in the abstract, or bad in the abstract but good when it's defending Noble Saint Bernie, or what. I don't expect an actual answer because you've shown your character quite thoroughly but I hope you can feel some shame, and that you aren't completely gay-hating.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Brainiac Five posted:

I mean, I can tell you're straight from the posts you've made, especially this one, and I'm sure you know what your sexual orientation is, so I'm asking you if you think posts like that are good to make in the abstract, or bad in the abstract but good when it's defending Noble Saint Bernie, or what. I don't expect an actual answer because you've shown your character quite thoroughly but I hope you can feel some shame, and that you aren't completely gay-hating.
would you like to give me the ol rainbow bag test, zoux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

would you like to give me the ol rainbow bag test, zoux

This is another piece of evidence that you're straight- you're getting evasive and defensive over me suggesting that it was not a good idea for you to make a post like that, even if you somehow thought it was innocent fun rather than you capering in joy at the thought of someone getting crushed for opposing Bernie Sanders voters.

• Locked thread