Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CharlestheHammer posted:

You are making a lot of assumptions.

That's pretty much the plot of the movie, according to the movie's website. Since she's not as glamorous as the other princesses she hunts down a magical pair of shoes that makes her outer beauty match her inner beauty. The dwarves are douchebag princes that were cursed by the same idea and turned into ugly little goblins.

It's pretty stock fairy tale movie and I can see an actor signing on to a project with that understanding and be blindsided when a marketing team that wasn't involved in the production takes it a whole other way. Plus apparently it's a joint Asian film so there's probably a lot of cultural clash going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Timby posted:

My favorite anecdote along these lines, but of a more humorous nature, is one that Harold Ramis told: One day, William Atherton was walking down the sidewalk in New York or Los Angeles, I forget which, and a bus full of people pulls up alongside him. He looks over and everyone shouts, "YO, DICKLESS! :haw:"

They should have given him popcorn.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coaaab posted:

That's insane to me since I think she gave more of a shades of grey performance.

Asian entertainment industries will never ever miss an opportunity to throw a woman under the bus (unless she's related to some rich-gently caress oligarch), though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn, I wonder if the coast guard is still getting calls to rescue the crew of the SS Minnow

Those poor people

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jenna Fischer gets constant crap from people mad that her husband isn't Jim

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And the link is already dead. I assume it was this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8MU2NhEvow

Yep!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Calaveron posted:

What a Duketastrophy

This warms my heart

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Coaaab posted:

That's insane to me since I think she gave more of a shades of grey performance.

Breaking apart the nuclear family, even a horribly dysfunctional one, is anathema to the moral values of 1960s Korean society, and that's before you get into the fact that her character straight-up murders a child. The film definitely doesn't paint a rosy picture of the husband and wife either, but it's easy to see why contemporary audiences would have sided with them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jenna Fischer gets constant crap from people mad that her husband isn't Jim

Are these the same people who give her crap for divorcing Gunn?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Eun-shim Lee never acted again after Hanyo because she was so vilified for her role as evil housemaid that no studio wanted to hire her for future projects.

I've read that they had a difficult time finding an actor to play the main villain in Wait Until Dark because no one wanted to be the person who terrorized Audrey Hepburn. Alan Arkin ultimately got the part.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Those poor people

Haaaa

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

to be fair to the people behind that marketing - fat people, like short people, have no reason to live.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was going to say that it's probably a safe bet that they'll end on a Shrek-like "It's okay to just be yourself, true beauty is inside, you don't need to hide it with magic!" note but uhhhh I don't trust Korean cinema to pull that off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I was going to say that it's probably a safe bet that they'll end on a Shrek-like "It's okay to just be yourself, true beauty is inside, you don't need to hide it with magic!" note but uhhhh I don't trust Korean cinema to pull that off.

It's kind of amazing that Shrek is still this high water mark.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its going to end with her getting cosmetic surgery and looking identical to all the background characters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schwarzwald posted:

It's kind of amazing that Shrek is still this high water mark.

I don't think people really have a problem with Shrek, right? Maybe just the overexposure or sequels or Smash Mouth but the first movie is good (if your kid hasn't made you watch it a thousand times).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Barudak posted:

Its going to end with her getting cosmetic surgery and looking identical to all the background characters.

Or how about
"You think I'm ugly? You haven't seen ugly!"
*starts carving up her own face and pouring acid on her head*
"Good. GOD."
"Oh honey, God won't save you. Not where you're going. And when you get there, tell 'em Snow White sent ya."
"Aaaagghh--!"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lobok posted:

I don't think people really have a problem with Shrek, right? Maybe just the overexposure or sequels or Smash Mouth but the first movie is good (if your kid hasn't made you watch it a thousand times).

It's less that Shrek is a bad movie--far from it--but I'm kind of astonished there hasn't been a better "you can still be beautiful even if you don't conform to strict cultural standards" animation since then.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Schwarzwald posted:

It's less that Shrek is a bad movie

Have you watched Shrek recently? It's painfully dated because about ninety percent of its jokes are pop culture references circa 2000.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Don't be ridiculous.

95% of the jokes are that. :v:

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
We now live in the era of rampant nostalgia though, so 95% of all jokes in all media are outdated references.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Shrek is good, but the franchise follows the words of Harvey Dent and lives long enough to become the villain that it mocked so well during the first movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Those dated jokes are still better than the poo poo we get today where saying "cuck" and "covefe" are the pinnacle of comedy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are the same thing dude.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I dunno if you've noticed but we're not exactly at the pinnacle of anything up in here in this, the era of Trump

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Doug Liman lived with Tom Cruise when they were filming American Made.

Doug Liman posted:

It was like The Odd Couple because he's super meticulous. Also, he eats nothing but greens and seeds. We ended up having two refrigerators because I'm all about frozen pizzas.

There was a lot of bitching about whose dishes were in the sink. I would clean stuff, and he would pull it out of the dishwasher and say, 'That's not clean enough.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Those dated jokes are still better than the poo poo we get today where saying "cuck" and "covefe" are the pinnacle of comedy

Not our fault you're a covfefe cuck

Electromax
May 6, 2007

:allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Len posted:

Boss Baby Fidget Spinner Covfefe Cuck My Mom NOT FAKE (2:48:44)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Guy Mann posted:

Boss Baby Fidget Spinner Covfefe Cuck My Mom NOT FAKE (2:48:44)

Boss Baby except everytime they say baby it speeds up 10% and the pitch goes down 15% (1:30)

1,324,982 Views 3k Likes 150 Dislikes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like Wonder Woman debut at over 200 million dollars worldwide. Pirates 5 is at half a billion after two weekends but fell to third place behind Captain Underpants.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

Looks like Wonder Woman debut at over 200 million dollars worldwide. Pirates 5 is at half a billion after two weekends but fell to third place behind Captain Underpants.

I went to Box Office Mojo just to see how Wonder Woman was doing and I forgot just how much loving money Beauty and the Beast made. Like, imagine if Wonder Woman made an extra $25m each day of this weekend.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

I went to Box Office Mojo just to see how Wonder Woman was doing and I forgot just how much loving money Beauty and the Beast made. Like, imagine if Wonder Woman made an extra $25m each day of this weekend.

drat near Smokey and the Bandit money

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DeimosRising posted:

drat near Smokey and the Bandit money

Now there's a franchise ripe for a reboot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Now there's a franchise ripe for a reboot.

Who would be Burt Reynolds though? I can't think of any charismatic actors today with a mustache that grand

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Len posted:

Who would be Burt Reynolds though? I can't think of any charismatic actors today with a mustache that grand

Walton Goggins.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Len posted:

I'm sure Oscar Isaac could rock one.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Dunno about the stache but chris pratt was my first thought.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

got any sevens posted:

Dunno about the stache but chris pratt was my first thought.

Was literally just about to post this. I'd see it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Len posted:

Oh for gods sake, Johnny Depp.

More importantly, need to replace Jerry Reed and Jackie Gleason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh for gods sake, Johnny Depp.

User name post c-c-c-combo

• Locked thread