Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Old James posted:

"How to Kill Your Country's IT Industry in 8 Easy Steps"

If they actually make these insane demands the entire Fortune 500 will pull out of the UK. EVERYTHING uses encryption nowadays, both for customer data and internal/B2B stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

There has to be a better phrase to describe the Jontrons of the world other than "gamers".

or maybe like describe gaming as an interest but don't solely define yourself by the things you consume

it's a pity that gamers have ruined the term gamer but such is life

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I encountered someone who tried to kill themselves by shooting themselves and taking pills. Turns out the pills made them super drousy, so they missed, their son came in the room to find out what happened and they killed their son because they though he was a intruder.

:smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's a "The Aristocrats!" joke in there somewhere

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Is her mission just to tank the economy of the UK in any way possible?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Unzip and Attack posted:

All the GOP needs to do is poach enough Hispanics each cycle + voter disenfranchisement to equal or exceed the number of whites who die off. At this rate (more hispanics voted for Trump than Romney) they'll stay afloat for a while, or even make gains as they did last year. We will continue to see voter suppression increase and as long as it stays gradual there won't be any consequences for the GOP.

The white and racist part of their base won't accept them. If they openly court Hispanics they'll have to represent their views. They would have to adopt more leftist policies economically to appease them and that's not going to work.

In order to appeal to minorities the republican party has to get racists to break bread with minorities or adopt so many minorities that they'll replace the racist base that they shed. The republican party has gotten as big as it can get with the policies it has right now. If it could get any bigger and have any broader of an appeal it would already be doing that. They aren't. They can only try to marry Latinos with their racist base and I don't think it's going to work. I would have said that this was possible in the Bush era. In the era of compassionate conservatism where the Hispanic vote could be courted with little repercussion. Now they can't. The republican party went from dog whistle racism to real racism. Trump didn't dog whistle. He just blasted racism. Dog whistles are a training tool. Now trained the racist part of the party was ready to be openly racist.

The republican party can pick up some Hispanic votes, sure, but not enough to staunch the bleeding. The current culture of racism and hate is too toxic for most people to enter.

The act of courting Hispanic voters in this hostile environment will be seen as weakness and a primary challenger will rino him or her right the gently caress out of office. It's a pretty vicious cycle.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Look I like games too. I play games. But there's no denying that some really toxic things are happening in that community dude.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Female sportscasters get a ton of poo poo but it actually seems like they're making progress relatively quickly and the industry as a whole supports them. Like, when Schilling spoke out against women calling sports he got widely poo poo on. Now there's this bizarre "backlash" with Jason Whitlock running around saying ESPN is "liberal media" and ruining sports that seems like the usual yelling at progress (although that probably has more to do with stuff like Kaepernick and Trump attacks but I assume the huge increase in women on ESPN is part of it).

The whole "gamergate" thing seems way more problematic and metastasized. But maybe it just seems that way because I'm not in that world so I only see the lovely highlights. I'm content to just play my video games in peace on the weekend.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Man whats with the shade on gamers?

Gamers and gamer culture are trash and an embarrassment and I am ashamed to enjoy video games because I don't want to associate with those people.

To clarify, gamers act like literally every little thing is a massive assault on their hobby. It's like the gun nuts but worse because at least guns serve a purpose. This is a group that by and large dove head first into conspiracy theories about ~*ethics in gaming journalism*~ because a woman had sex with someone who wasn't them and made a game they didn't like. She did literally nothing to them other than exist in their space and a solid group of them dedicated themselves to utterly destroying her. It's a group that thinks the proper response to a discussion of feminism in gaming is bomb threats.

it's insanely misogynistic, racist and loves bullying others even as they claim to be victims of bullies their whole life. In short, they are 20something Republican voters who don't realize it yet.

To clarify, I'm speaking about people who willing self-identify with "gamers" and gamer culture. There are tons of people out there who play games but would never ID themselves that way.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 5, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Can Trump privatize the air traffic controllers unilaterally without any new bills passing in congress?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Female sportscasters get a ton of poo poo but it actually seems like they're making progress relatively quickly and the industry as a whole supports them. Like, when Schilling spoke out against women calling sports he got widely poo poo on. Now there's this bizarre "backlash" with Jason Whitlock running around saying ESPN is "liberal media" and ruining sports that seems like the usual yelling at progress (although that probably has more to do with stuff like Kaepernick and Trump attacks but I assume the huge increase in women on ESPN is part of it).

Jason Whitlock is a completely irrelevant blowhard who has been fired from every significant job he's ever had.

Now he's just colin cowherd's punching bag which is truly a fate worse than death.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FizFashizzle posted:

Jason Whitlock is a completely irrelevant blowhard who has been fired from every significant job he's ever had.

Now he's just colin cowherd's punching bag which is truly a fate worse than death.

Oh yeah, I thought that went without saying to anyone who knew who he was. I've gotten a weird kick out of seeing him pop up all over RWM lately crying about how the liberals at ESPN have tried to ruin his career but he's thriving on Fox Sports.

He also last week decided that Lebron made up the story about racist slurs on his home and doesn't have to deal with racism because he's rich. So for some reason someone seems to have lit a fire under Whitlock's rear end to get famous in the Trump era.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Its a sign of what an absolute garbage human being he is that not only had I forgotten about that, but that after googling it I have to ask "Which purple heart stunt?" The one from this April or last August?

I didn't even know there was an April Purple Heart thing.

In two years we've forgotten more Trump outrages than most politicians commit during their whole careers.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't generally have a problem with your posts but this here is some pretty heavy "Not all gamers" poo poo. Gaming in general has a huge problem of lovely people being vile to anyone who isn't a white straight male. Pointing this truth out is not an attack on you personally, and acting like it is obfuscates the actual problem.

This isn't just a gaming thing either. Anytime someone responds to "group X has a problem" with "but I'm a member of group X and I don't have that problem", they are actively moving the discussion away from trying to solve the problem.

Gaming has a problem with people being lovely to each other. It's also rife with trolly kids and internet assholes, and I don't think any of that is specific to games.

I'm a gamer who has gamed since the Atari and the word "gamer" means a person who plays games. It isn't a deplorable internet subculture of racism and sexism any more than reddit is nothing but the_donald posters.

This all started as shade thrown on Terry Crews for interacting with gamers (I'm assuming his OW doomfist stuff), like that alone is a scummy thing to be doing.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Chances of someone who identifies really strongly as a gamer being a shithead are about the same as someone who self identifies as a gun person.

Spending some time at the range is fine, whatever, but care a lot about it and chances are pretty good you also collect Nazi memorabilia and vote R every chance you can get. Same for "gamers". Said as someone with thousands pig hours on their steam account.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

I encountered someone who tried to kill themselves by shooting themselves and taking pills. Turns out the pills made them super drousy, so they missed, their son came in the room to find out what happened and they killed their son because they though he was a intruder.

AmericanDemocracy.txt

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

mcmagic posted:

Can Trump privatize the air traffic controllers unilaterally without any new bills passing in congress?

He can, but he'll be foiled if you compose an ode in praise of Manchin.

More realistically it would be incorporated into the FAA re authorization that will have to be passed before current legislation expires in November. It seems to me like Trump throwing mire at the Congress in the hopes of finding an easy win somewhere while they continue to stress under the burden of already critical legislation that has to be passed in the next 3 months.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

I'm a gamer who has gamed since the Atari and the word "gamer" means a person who plays games. It isn't a deplorable internet subculture of racism and sexism any more than reddit is nothing but the_donald posters.

Yeah you know how the word "queer" started out as a lovely thing you would call gays, and slowly it got reclaimed and now it's pretty neutral, "gamer" is like that but the other way.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Chances of someone who identifies really strongly as a gamer being a shithead are about the same as someone who self identifies as a gun person.

Spending some time at the range is fine, whatever, but care a lot about it and chances are pretty good you also collect Nazi memorabilia and vote R every chance you can get. Same for "gamers". Said as someone with thousands pig hours on their steam account.
I'd disagree, you're far more likely to encounter some unsavory worldviews among gun owners than PS4 owners, given that one owns and operates a loving murder weapon.

I've known plenty of people that do both. I'm still friends with people that play video games, even though I do not.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

It isn't a deplorable internet subculture of racism and sexism any more than reddit is nothing but the_donald posters.

Yeah well the content of twitch chat or any other place gamers congregate or talk with you disagrees with you.

Gamergate is 1 to 1 crossover with alt right pepe trump poo poo and is a substantial portion of the "gamer" population. Community os seroously rotten

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Look I like games too. I play games. But there's no denying that some really toxic things are happening in that community dude.

No doubt, i turn off chat in HOTS and avoid team chat in OW.

I don't do it because of all the racism.

Come to think of it, I stopped joining OW team chat because some assholes were harassing a girl. I should join and make fart noises when poo poo like that happens, shouldn't I?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

farraday posted:

More realistically it would be incorporated into the FAA re authorization that will have to be passed before current legislation expires in November. It seems to me like Trump throwing mire at the Congress in the hopes of finding an easy win somewhere while they continue to stress under the burden of already critical legislation that has to be passed in the next 3 months.

So he can't....

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This is the dumbest derail yet

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Gaming has a problem with people being lovely to each other. It's also rife with trolly kids and internet assholes, and I don't think any of that is specific to games.

This all started as shade thrown on Terry Crews for interacting with gamers (I'm assuming his OW doomfist stuff), like that alone is a scummy thing to be doing.

The real issue is any nerd/male-dominated hobby seems to be utter opposed to any attempt at change or god forbid, women showing an interest and react violently to it. You don't see people sending in bomb threats because a woman showed an interest in craft beer. But with comic books, D&D, video games, sports, etc., that sort of violent, childish tantrum is common. And if it isn't violence it's being a complete and utter creep, gatekeeping and driving out any poor women who show the slightest desire to get involved.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

farraday posted:

Trump is just trying to overload the system by throwing whatever he can at it. He needs something that he can display to his base as a win. He is also too stupid to realize that all those unfilled positions would probably help him push poo poo through if he filled them with more like minded idiots.

NAFTA and healthcare were supposed to be his guaranteed wins and they both blew up in his face.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

Come to think of it, I stopped joining OW team chat because some assholes were harassing a girl. I should join and make fart noises when poo poo like that happens, shouldn't I?

A better solution is to get on their team and teamkill them/throw the match/whatever you do in whatever garbage game that is.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Glumslinger posted:

I'd say the difference is that you still get all of the same terrible hot takes from sports dudes, but they don't send death threats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU-D-m2JY8
https://www.fastcompany.com/3059304/more-than-mean-tweets-female-sportswriters-stare-down-vicious-online-harassment
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/five-female-sports-reporters-and-the-disrespect-they-faced/article11719668/
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-25/ffa-demands-end-to-death-threats-directed-at-journalist-wilson/6974440

Do you ever think to search before you make these kind of dumbass statements?

Chilichimp posted:

There has to be a better phrase to describe the Jontrons of the world other than "gamers".
I'm partial to "Fucknuggets".

STAC Goat posted:

The whole "gamergate" thing seems way more problematic and metastasized. But maybe it just seems that way because I'm not in that world so I only see the lovely highlights. I'm content to just play my video games in peace on the weekend.

You're comparing the corporate side of sports with the culture side of gaming. On the corporate side, Gamergate did nothing but generate derision from studios, who are all actively moving to a more inclusive hiring process that has seen the number of women involved in the industry growing by years in every facet of prodution. Meanwhile, sports fans being douhebags isn't really stopping in any meaningful way.

Like, sports fans are just as soaked in macho bullshit and toxic masculinity as gamers are.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Yeah well the content of twitch chat or any other place gamers congregate or talk with you disagrees with you.

Gamergate is 1 to 1 crossover with alt right pepe trump poo poo and is a substantial portion of the "gamer" population. Community os seroously rotten

gently caress, its internet comments. Have you ever read the comments on youtube live feeds?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bottom Liner posted:

You know people see these sort of posts as challenges?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bottom Liner posted:

Mountain chat was much worse

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Bottom Liner posted:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

A better solution is to get on their team and teamkill them/throw the match/whatever you do in whatever garbage game that is.

I wish TK was an option in overwatch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I feel like that weird "no one in the east has ever seen nature" thing was probably a new bar set.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Yeah, when you actively have to seek out places that aren't filled with racist/sexist/homophobic garbage if you want any kind of community, there's a problem. People who don't want to deal with poo poo find their own enclaves and a lot of others just sit back and enable it by doing nothing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

You know people see these sort of posts as challenges?

For real, I think we can certainly do better

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Mountain chat was much worse

Yes. Gamer-chat at least has some sort of tie-in to modern political discourse. A lot of people seem to roll their eyes that idiots on 4cha had any impact on the 2016 elections, but at a minimum they are a hate-filled recruiting ground for disaffected young men. They're preying on people using the exact same strategies ISIS and cults use.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fulchrum posted:

You're comparing the corporate side of sports with the culture side of gaming. On the corporate side, Gamergate did nothing but generate derision from studios, who are all actively moving to a more inclusive hiring process that has seen the number of women involved in the industry growing by years in every facet of prodution. Meanwhile, sports fans being douhebags isn't really stopping in any meaningful way.

Like, sports fans are just as soaked in macho bullshit and toxic masculinity as gamers are.

I don't really doubt you. Like I said, I'm so far removed from "gamer" stuff that I only see the lowlights. I see more of the good stuff in sports but I long ago divorced myself from a lot of the more toxic elements like talk radio and online forums so I have no doubt that the same sort of vile poo poo is happening there. So my perception is probably way off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Trump is just trying to overload the system by throwing whatever he can at it. He needs something that he can display to his base as a win. He is also too stupid to realize that all those unfilled positions would probably help him push poo poo through if he filled them with more like minded idiots.

NAFTA and healthcare were supposed to be his guaranteed wins and they both blew up in his face.

There is zero constituency for privatizing Air Traffic Control...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

There's vile poo poo everywhere.

Especially in the east coast state of Ohio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mcmagic posted:

There is zero constituency for privatizing Air Traffic Control...

The .1% are pretty highly into it, they either make a bunch of money off the system or can afford to fly private anyway

• Locked thread