Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Pictures from earlier:

I have no idea what happened to the picture quality here, but whatever.

Also we couldn't figure out how to resolve combat with multiple levels, couldn't find anything in the rules about it. We just let them fight guys within an inch and ignored verticality.

Ah yes, the famous battle where the Tyranids took Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Pictures from earlier:

I have no idea what happened to the picture quality here, but whatever.

Also we couldn't figure out how to resolve combat with multiple levels, couldn't find anything in the rules about it. We just let them fight guys within an inch and ignored verticality.

Merde! Les Carnifeques! Shootez-vous! SHOOTEZ-VOUS!!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like this board. It's like the Tyranids have invaded some cheap, lovely Las Vegas planet.

e: now I want to make an army of Nevadian guardsmen.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Once 8th drops, will Dark Vengeance models go up or down in value? Like, are they going to stop being produced? Because I was thinking of buying a box and having my mother paint everything and then selling it on eBay

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

Once 8th drops, will Dark Vengeance models go up or down in value? Like, are they going to stop being produced? Because I was thinking of buying a box and having my mother paint everything and then selling it on eBay

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40k: Letting Mom Paint Your Models to Flip on eBay

Like...are you being serious right now?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I think you missed my earlier post where I said my mother is old and disabled and doesn't have anything else to do but she's a really good painter and wants to pick something up to make money on the side since she can't work anymore and is really bored

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

I think you missed my earlier post where I said my mother is old and disabled and doesn't have anything else to do but she's a really good painter and wants to pick something up to make money on the side since she can't work anymore and is really bored

Okay yes I did, out of context it looks like you are farming out your mom to fund your hobby. My bad.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

I have no idea where that thing came from, it's been sitting in the terrain closet at the store for like 3 years and have always joked about using it, so gently caress it

He was upset that carnifexes can fit under it but not the trygon

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Random list:

1 Tyrant w/ 4 crazy deathpitters = 184
1 Prime w/ boners = 104
1 One Eye = 140

2 Tyrant Guard = 74
4 Zoanthropes = 160
3 Hive Guard w/ Impaler = 144

25 Hormies = 125
25 Hormies = 125
5 Warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 venom cannon = 125

2 Carnifex = 188

1 Tyrannocyte w/ 5 Deathspitters = 130

Should fit in one detachment, 1499 points

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

LordAba posted:

Random list:

1 Tyrant w/ 4 crazy deathpitters = 184
1 Prime w/ boners = 104
1 One Eye = 140

2 Tyrant Guard = 74
4 Zoanthropes = 160
3 Hive Guard w/ Impaler = 144

25 Hormies = 125
25 Hormies = 125
5 Warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 venom cannon = 125

2 Carnifex = 188

1 Tyrannocyte w/ 5 Deathspitters = 130

Should fit in one detachment, 1499 points

So I have been wondering what the value of hormagaunts are over termagants in this new edition. Seems like you are paying +1 point per model for 2" of speed a turn and +1 str 3 attack in the combat phase and losing a str 4 attack in the shooting phase. Seems like a kind of bad trade, especially since you can add a couple of devourers in there. Maybe I am missing something important but it seems like the little gaunts are going to be there to bubble wrap important stuff so they don't get smited/charged. Unless you really need the extra 2" to keep up I don't see why you pick them over termagants unless you just like the model more. As someone who has 90 painted hormagaunts and thinks a horde of hormagaunts is the coolest thing in the nids army this makes me sad.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I have been wondering what the value of hormagaunts are over termagants in this new edition. Seems like you are paying +1 point per model for 2" of speed a turn and +1 str 3 attack in the combat phase and losing a str 4 attack in the shooting phase. Seems like a kind of bad trade, especially since you can add a couple of devourers in there. Maybe I am missing something important but it seems like the little gaunts are going to be there to bubble wrap important stuff so they don't get smited/charged. Unless you really need the extra 2" to keep up I don't see why you pick them over termagants unless you just like the model more. As someone who has 90 painted hormagaunts and thinks a horde of hormagaunts is the coolest thing in the nids army this makes me sad.

They reroll to-hit and to-wound of 1 as well. They can do some solid damage. Anda 6 inch consolidate lets them drag in enemy models really well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TKIY posted:

Merde! Les Carnifeques! Shootez-vous! SHOOTEZ-VOUS!!!!

:lol:

JBP posted:

I like this board. It's like the Tyranids have invaded some cheap, lovely Las Vegas planet.

e: now I want to make an army of Nevadian guardsmen.

And I kinda want to make an army of Mars Attacks GSC

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pendent posted:

Hey we have marines who base their entire chapter culture on a warped view of Rome, The Mongols, etc. Why not an entire world of Crepe Marines?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

General Olloth posted:

Okay yes I did, out of context it looks like you are farming out your mom to fund your hobby. My bad.

Yeah no I make enough to buy my own dudes but when I told her about how people will literally spend hundreds of dollars on some painted plastic figurines on eBay she was amazed

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hey we have marines who base their entire chapter culture on a warped view of Rome, The Mongols, etc. Why not an entire world of Crepe Marines?

Introducing: The Space Frogs. :france:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Yeah, they can keep up with the tyrant before he passes them off to the zoanthropes, and they are able to tie up a bunch of models. Plus it is how I played a couple editions ago: 2 chunky units of hormies and a warrior unit where my base of operations. I don't expect them to do much but prevent other CC units from getting into my shooting units, since Hive Tyrants are garbage in CC unless you give them specific weapons (which is a weird thing, though garbage might be a bit much).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Played my first game of 8th at my local GW today with just the stuff I have in the display case down at the shop. It was me (Admech - Cawl, Techpriest, Rangers, Vanguard and a Dunecrawler) and a friend (a Knight) against another dude (Astra Militarum). The AM players was hands down the worst 40k player I've ever played with. He took a power list to an intro game, which was kinda lame.

8th has potential, but I still have the same complaints as I did before with my AdMech. They just die too fast. I lost my entire rangers squad to fire from 2 manticores and 2 basilisks in the first turn. Had them in cover, they saved a poo poo ton of their saves, but just died from tons of rolls.

I'm really not sure how to do better with AdMech. I keep them in cover, I keep them all within range of Cawl, but they just don't have the staying power of other armies. They just get taken out too quickly.

I was thinking of from now on just running a minimum number of troops, probably just Kataphron Destroyers from now on, and filling out the rest of the army with more dunecrawlers.

I don't want to be a dick player, but it's at the point where I'm not even having fun playing my army any more because they're dying before I even get to use them.

My rangers have yet to ever even fire their rifles. They always die first turn.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I don't know anything about AdMech in 40k but that sounds awful, sorry.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

I don't know anything about AdMech in 40k but that sounds awful, sorry.

I think this particular game was bad because of my opponent. I did have a knight on my side, but man, the amount of Lascannons that IG can take is crazy.

I'll play a few more games of 8th and see how it pans out. I have a feeling i'm going to wait until the AdMech codex actually drops before playing more.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
My experience in 7ed with admech was expected the vanguard to die fast their basically cheap mest shield. Keep rangers in cover and pop them out to shoot at tanks with arc rifles. Bring lots of dune crawler and robots to do the real damage.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

chutche2 posted:

They reroll to-hit and to-wound of 1 as well. They can do some solid damage. Anda 6 inch consolidate lets them drag in enemy models really well.

Don't the termagants get to reroll their better shooting attacks also though? seems like a wash to me.

I would be surprised in if the hormagaunts are actually killing a lot of things on their own. They lost an attack on the charge, hit on 4+, wound most things on 5+, and you get your full save against them. In an edition where most things were made more tough. And with the changed to cover its going to be even harder to get them combat without them losing a bunch of models. Like before it was pretty easy to get them 3+ cover saves, now it will be be a -1 to hit rolls and sometimes a 6+ armor save (no way you are getting 30 gaunts into cover at once regularly unless you play on some wierd board with giant ruins).

I would use gargoyles over hormagaunts to screen a hive tyrant, 1 more point per model and you get +4" move, blinding venom, and a gun all you lose is +1 attack, but yea I get wanting to use hormagaunts cause they are cool.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Redid my Ultramarine list, dropped the Devastators. Went all in on Tacticals and Razorbacks.

Battalion Detachment - 1997
Headquarters - 190
Captain Sicarius - 132
Sergeant Chronus - 58
Elites - 70
Eversor Assassin - 70 - So if this list has a weakness, it is having very little reach beyond 24-36 inches. Instead of trying to match my enemy's guns, the Eversor has the ability to launch a charge immediately upon infiltrating, 3d6 charge with the ability to reroll using CPs. If my opponent has something like Broadsides/Las-Devs/Predator this is a cheap way to kill them or tie them up.
Troops - 777
Tactical Marine Squad - 5x Marines - Meltagun + Combi-Melta + Power Axe - 106
Tactical Marine Squad - 6x Marines - Meltagun + Combi-Melta + Power Axe - 119
Tactical Marine Squad - 6x Marines - Meltagun + Combi-Melta + Power Axe - 119
Tactical Marine Squad - 6x Marines - Grav-Cannon + Combi-Plasma + Power axe - 126
Tactical Marine Squad - 6x Marines - Grav-Cannon + Combi-Plasma + Power axe - 126
Scout Marines - 5x Scouts - 55

Dedicated Transports - 600
Razorback + Twin Assault Cannon - 100
Super Heavy Detachment
Roboute Guilliman - 360

Everything other than the scouts and the Eversor are meant to synergize. We have Razorbacks providing 72 shots at Str 6 AP -1, and 36 Tactical Marines with various anti-tank and heavy infantry weapons. I figured dropping the Devastators allows me to fully take advantage of Sicarius's special rule, so even if my poor Marines find themselves on the receiving end of a charge they will be in a position to sell their lives dearly. Dropped the chaplain to save 14 points and pick up Chronus who can pilot one of the Razorbacks for added shooting and survivability.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

Yeah no I make enough to buy my own dudes but when I told her about how people will literally spend hundreds of dollars on some painted plastic figurines on eBay she was amazed

That's a good point. To actually answer your questions, yeah I'm pretty sure they are going to discontinue that box, although it is possible the models end up in a different box because that seems like a waste of a perfectly good mold they already made.

Also her painting was pretty good, I did see the picture.

Maybe don't bank specifically on that particular box being more or less profitable, and just start doing small stuff here and there and see what moves better.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Zaphod42 posted:

Introducing: The Space Frogs. :france:

I would unironically love a race of space frogs to join my Guard as abhuman auxiliaries.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Zuul the Cat posted:

They just die too fast. I lost my entire rangers squad to fire from 2 manticores and 2 basilisks in the first turn.

Not to poo poo on you dude, but a squad of infantry was shot by 4 pieces of artillery and died, I think that's - to be expected?

As for 8th Ad Mech, I can't really comment on how to help, I just remember being steam rolled by rust stalkers in 7th and my Guard being utterly destroyed by robots that reflected shots back.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Endman posted:

I would unironically love a race of space frogs to join my Guard as abhuman auxiliaries.

Forgeworld's got you covered! https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Daemon-Plague-Toads-of-Nurgle

Yeast posted:

Not to poo poo on you dude, but a squad of infantry was shot by 4 pieces of artillery and died, I think that's - to be expected?

Yeah 2 Manticores and 2 Basilisks will kill most things in one turn!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 5, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

General Olloth posted:

These two things don't have to be mutually exclusive...

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

As for 8th Ad Mech, I can't really comment on how to help, I just remember being steam rolled by rust stalkers in 7th and my Guard being utterly destroyed by robots that reflected shots back.

No, I get that. I was more complaining about him taking that much artillery in an "introduction to 8th" match when I literally just used what I had at the store.

Maybe I'll pick up some Kastelan Robots.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Oh dear lord those are both horrifying and amazing models

But mostly horrifying

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyway, the lesson learned from this game is that I shuffled around points some to give both my tac squads a combi-flamer.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Zuul the Cat posted:

No, I get that. I was more complaining about him taking that much artillery in an "introduction to 8th" match when I literally just used what I had at the store.

Honestly that's not a bad idea regardless.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Played a couple 500 point games tonight, Astra Militarum versus Blood angels, two horde lists against one another the first game, then a mixed tank/infantry guard versus a rhino, captain on a bike, and 17 marines.

I retract all the what I said early about heavy weapons squads, they are stupidly cheap and much more effective than before, auto-giving orders and cheap powerfists on guard characters can actually let infantry squads stand up to marine assault squads without immediately being pasted.

First game I won off of a single dice roll, managing one wound on an overwatch flamer with one guardsmen left to hold the objective against his Captain, was suitably amazing.

Second game went off the rails fast, space marine captain on a bike, hitting on 2+ in close combat and re-rolling ones means nearly 4 guaranteed hits/wounds a phase when using a power maul. Battle cannon russ could not hit anything with its 4+ attack and got tangled up in meltas, overall played the game in about an hour and a half, while the first game was closer to two and a half hours.

Need to remember command points more, but overall was very pleased by the scope of the new system. No firing arcs/angles needed for vehicles is really strange in practice though. We played with a friendlier view of cover than the RAW so standard tactical squads rolled 2+ saves most of the game, but it seems a lot more fair now that guardsmen get 5+/4+ saves on bolter fire. Rhinos are also very scary with two storm bolters firing on basic guard squads.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone interested in the AdMech 7th codices & data cards, the Fall of Cadia book and an Imperial Bunker new on sprue? PM me if so!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Did you guys not use points or anything? I mean... that's what's gonna happen.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Think it means he took one of the heavy support detachments.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Fashion question: any goon here have the eldar visarch model? How's the scale compare to a guardsman?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe he sits on a 30 - 40mm base, standing a little taller than a kabalite.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

chutche2 posted:

I spotted this the other day, and basically if the model has a base there's no rules to allow it. You only get to measure from the 'hull' of a model if it has no base; Defilers and Hierophants are ok but most other units won't be.

Hopefully it'll get FAQ'd soonish because someone the size of Magnus not being able to kill guardsmen that climbed a flight of stairs is quite silly.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Has there been any indication of how/of allies will work in 8e?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Has there been any indication of how/of allies will work in 8e?

They don't, unless you want to bring different flavors of imperium or chaos.

• Locked thread