Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

coyo7e posted:

Drop everything and watch Creed immediately. It will renew your faith in movies being something good and worthwhile about humanity

I did! It was really damned good. It makes me a little sad that Kensington is going to be altogether gentrified in the next ten to fifteen years.

A little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
poo poo now I wanna go watch Creed again. I doubt I'll regret it

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Given that the last thing I watched involving fighting was Iron Fist, the fight choreography in Creed was downright amazing. The long, tight shots circling the boxers was super intense. I don't know why the best Rocky movies are the ones where the protagonist loses, but Rocky, Rocky Balboa, and Creed are just great films, while the others only ever rise to "entertaining" at best.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm so glad the consensus about Creed is turning around. I felt like I was all alone saying back then that it was the best movie of the year that didn't involve a bullet farmer and his bullet farm.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm so glad the consensus about Creed is turning around. I felt like I was all alone saying back then that it was the best movie of the year that didn't involve a bullet farmer and his bullet farm.

That's weird, since I remember critical and general acclaim from the get-go.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I remember the Creed thread being very positive, who was calling it bad so I can murder them for having bad opinions?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Creed's reception was really strong, I even remember some real Oscar buzz before they shat all over it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, Creed's reception was really strong, I even remember some real Oscar buzz before they shat all over it.

Didn't Stallone get his first-ever Golden Globe for it, even?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Didn't Stallone get his first-ever Golden Globe for it, even?

Yeah, he was nominated for Rocky but didn't win.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just remember going nuts about it and getting a general response that it was "alright."

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I would not want to be up against Mad Max Fury Road for any sort of attention

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

coyo7e posted:

Drop everything and watch Creed immediately. It will renew your faith in movies being something good and worthwhile about humanity

Jesus Christ, it's a really good movie, but not THAT good. Way to overhype something to the point that people will go in with expectations that are far and above too high.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nihonniboku posted:

Jesus Christ, it's a really good movie, but not THAT good. Way to overhype something to the point that people will go in with expectations that are far and above too high.

It's not nearly Rocky good and somewhat worse than Warrior or Rocky Balboa, but it's very good. Coogler busts his rear end to elevate a pretty dumb story about a rich kid son of a former champion cosplaying as an underdog to motivate himself.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

While we're on the genre, I'd put in a recommendation for Warrior, which should be available on Prime. It's cliched as all hell, but it uses those cliches really goddamn well. Even after several rewatches, the ending still gets me every time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I forgot what Warrior was until I hit Google and saw "Nick Nolte". Yes, that movie is very good but better than Creed? Haha nah man, nah.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I just remember going nuts about it and getting a general response that it was "alright."

I remember this too. And then I remember a bunch of people saying things like "It's actually alright, not as good as some of the Rocky films and definitely flawed, but alright."

And because of that I haven't seen it. I haven't even seen any of the original Rockys so I felt like "Well I should wait until I get around to those." And like, there's so many good movies out there to watch in a lifetime that Rocky was never at the top of the list.

This is the first time I'm hearing "It's great". But I trust you guys have decent opinions half the time. Maybe I should just commit myself to watching the first Rocky and Creed soon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BrainDance posted:

This is the first time I'm hearing "It's great". But I trust you guys have decent opinions half the time. Maybe I should just commit myself to watching the first Rocky and Creed soon.

The first two Rockys, Balboa, then Creed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

The first two Rockys, Balboa, then Creed.

What is "A comprehensive list of the only Rocky movies that should exist?", Alex.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
4 has its charm, as a sort of over the top cartoon version of that kind of movie. That said yeah pretty much.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i liked all of them except 5

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The strange thing about Rocky if you've never seen it is how much it *isn't* a boxing movie. There's like 5 minutes of boxing in it. It's a character study that just happens to have some boxing in it, not a boxing movie.

I only saw Jaws for the first time last year and although the shark features more in that than boxing does in Rocky, they're both similar in that whole "if all you know about this movie is that it's about a shark / boxing, you really don't know poo poo about this movie and should watch it" kinda way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finished all five seasons of The Wire.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

The strange thing about Rocky if you've never seen it is how much it *isn't* a boxing movie. There's like 5 minutes of boxing in it. It's a character study that just happens to have some boxing in it, not a boxing movie.

See also The Wrestler

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Perestroika posted:

While we're on the genre, I'd put in a recommendation for Warrior, which should be available on Prime. It's cliched as all hell, but it uses those cliches really goddamn well. Even after several rewatches, the ending still gets me every time.

Warrior was SO MUCH better than it had any right to be. The fights were intense but the family scenes knocked me the gently caress out.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

All the Rocky movies are worth watching.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Warrior was SO MUCH better than it had any right to be. The fights were intense but the family scenes knocked me the gently caress out.

drat good casting of Nick Nolte as a shitbag alcoholic because you got the sense it wasn't much of a leap.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Rocky 4 is amazing, guys. Definitely up there with the best. The only one I didn't love was 3.

The_Rob posted:

Like the fact that creed isn't seen as a modern classic is actually a shame to me. It's so rare these days to actually be able to see that there is an actual film maker behind the camera and not studio executives. Like you could feel the passion. Not to mention the music is great.

Given time, I think it will. It's had a bit of cultural impact. This article reports that both "Adonis" and "Creed" were on the rise for boy names. Another name that made a massive jump in popularity was "Kylo".

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/12/health/popular-baby-names-2016-trnd/index.html

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its been a short while but I still recommend MST3k old and new on NF for some very chill stupid fun

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know why any dad would think Kylo would be a good name for a son.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Buddy of mine named his kid Atreyu. True story.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

We had a huge spike in Luukes as the expanded universe picked up steam

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

It's not nearly Rocky good and somewhat worse than Warrior or Rocky Balboa, but it's very good. Coogler busts his rear end to elevate a pretty dumb story about a rich kid son of a former champion cosplaying as an underdog to motivate himself.

There's more ways to be an underdog than to be poor, Marx.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GonSmithe posted:

I remember the Creed thread being very positive, who was calling it bad so I can murder them for having bad opinions?
Qft. I will kill a birch if they hate that film. :hi5:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mover posted:

We had a huge spike in Luukes as the expanded universe picked up steam

regulargonzalez posted:

Buddy of mine named his kid Atreyu. True story.

This year I predict at least one Covfefe being born.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know why any dad would think Kylo would be a good name for a son.

It's even more dumb since Kylo isn't his name, or a name at all, it's a title, like "Darth" or "Captain" or "Sergeant" or "Colonel". His name's Ben.

Don't name your kid after a loving Sci-Fi name, holy poo poo people.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

It's even more dumb since Kylo isn't his name, or a name at all, it's a title, like "Darth" or "Captain" or "Sergeant" or "Colonel". His name's Ben.

Don't name your kid after a loving Sci-Fi name, holy poo poo people.

A girl in one of my college classes was named Galadriel. The LOTR movies being out at the time, nobody missed the reference but understood the embarrassment potential and didn't say anything... except the professor, who geeked out about it with her for 30 seconds going on eternity. She looked like she wanted to die.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

A girl in one of my college classes was named Galadriel. The LOTR movies being out at the time, nobody missed the reference but understood the embarrassment potential and didn't say anything... except the professor, who geeked out about it with her for 30 seconds going on eternity. She looked like she wanted to die.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem. There's a slight chance that the child will gain the appreciation of whatever the source material for their name is, but most likely they will loving hate it, resent the parent, and go by another name.

Your child will not be born a LotR fan just because you name them such. Sure, almost everyone likes Star Wars, but the child will never match the parent's enthusiasm.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that's the biggest problem. There's a slight chance that the child will gain the appreciation of whatever the source material for their name is, but most likely they will loving hate it, resent the parent, and go by another name.

Your child will not be born a LotR fan just because you name them such. Sure, almost everyone likes Star Wars, but the child will never match the parent's enthusiasm.

My niece's first and middle names are Raven Amethyst. When her parents told us that, I was like, "Do you want her to be a stripper?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Franchescanado posted:

My friends named their flaming red hair child Conan after Conan O'Brien. Think he's going to be a huge fan of the show when he's in his surly teenage years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
This is why I named my daughter Emma. Simple and she can already say it before she's two.