Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hate playing as counselor because it feels like interesting gameplay ends for the most part after 7-8min. Most cabins have been looted at that point and objectives that are going to get done have already been done. So you're basically just looking for poo poo people missed and dealing with Jason. Or watching people do those things which is even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
In my experience if they haven't won the game by 7 minutes it's going to be an 8/8

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

When playing as Jason, is there something you can do against somebody with no fear buildup who's just sitting in a hiding spot waiting for the match to end? I was morphing around checking all the houses and hiding spots, and I only just happened to get lucky when I was about to leave a house after a cursory scan and heard the exhale. It's not fun for Jason, it's not fun for all the other dead people, and all you get for it is an extra 200 experience. Like what is even the point?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Other non-complaining observations:

I played a round with a Jason who pretended to be Mickey Mouse, which was a lot funnier than it sounds. One guy got let off the hook for saying that Mickey was so much better than Donald, Goofy, and all the other Disney characters.

There must have been a physics glitch in one round as Jason was killing someone, because I suddenly saw the red minimap marker flying across the map out of bounds, and a few seconds later we won.

I had a pretty amazing game as Tommy, where I was trying to help the last surviving counselor call the cops. He died, and after giving Jason the runaround for a bit, I managed to fix the phone, kite Jason, call the cops, and kite Jason some more until the cops came, finally escaping just as the cops opened fire on him. I had a lucky break when one of the houses I jumped into had both a healing spray and a pocket knife. I think he was somewhat inexperienced, because I managed to manually break free twice and I don't think he realized he had rage, but it was nail-biting nonetheless.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 5, 2017

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

404notfound posted:

When playing as Jason, is there something you can do against somebody with no fear buildup who's just sitting in a hiding spot waiting for the match to end? I was morphing around checking all the houses and hiding spots, and I only just happened to get lucky when I was about to leave a house after a cursory scan and heard the exhale. It's not fun for Jason, it's not fun for all the other dead people, and all you get for it is an extra 200 experience. Like what is even the point?

I'm not really sure what you want to happen in this situation? It is actually very difficult for survivors to stay hidden, especially when Jason is investigating the area. Simply being near Jason is enough to start raising your fear. Hiding in a building doesn't stop the building from lighting up to Sense - all it does is buy the survivor a little time forcing Jason to check beds and listen for the survivor to either freak out because they didn't hold their breath or exhale because you can't hold your breath for more than a few moment.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

joylessdivision posted:

Jesus Christ the people I've played with.

I watched two counselors have a fight to the death. Not sure why but we all watched. It was kinda great. Then we tried to kill Jason but everyone was talking over each other and the poor guy playing Tommy swung the machete instead of hitting the prompt. We were shortly massacred.

Next game the obnoxious poo poo I'd muted was Jason. I spawn outside the cabin with the phone. I find the fuse inside. Fix the phone and watch as four counselors escape with the car. I call the cops and figure I'll wait him out, gently caress him and his constant begging to be Jason and million dumb questions about the movies.

I hide in a closet watching the map. The other two counselors are waiting at one of the exits. A tricky gamble but it pays off and they escape. I pop out and start my run down the road to the cops, flare gun in hand. Jason is standing there waiting. I pop him with the flare and run past. Clean sweep. All I hear in post game chat is laughing and people clowing on the dude who is apparently screaming about how they lied to him about setting him up for a Jason death scene. He gets kicked from the game.

This game is kinda terrible when played with pubbies
FTFY

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

TOOT BOOT posted:

looking for poo poo people missed

You'd be surprised.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I have had so many of my quick play lobbies fill up with people with Chinese characters in their name, then when the game starts they all quickly leave if they didn't get Jason. The guy (with Chinese characters in his name) playing Jason is super duper angry in broken english as he makes the kills.

Anyone else finding this?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Hamshot posted:

I have had so many of my quick play lobbies fill up with people with Chinese characters in their name, then when the game starts they all quickly leave if they didn't get Jason. The guy (with Chinese characters in his name) playing Jason is super duper angry in broken english as he makes the kills.

Anyone else finding this?

Never been killed by, nor seen someone survive with those names.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i had no idea this game had actually come out on consoles? Is this game worth going through the brokeness it supposedly has to be worth the $40? The OP makes it sound magical.

Also it seems there's more of a community on PS4 than Xbox but all my friends play on xbox :(

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i had no idea this game had actually come out on consoles? Is this game worth going through the brokeness it supposedly has to be worth the $40? The OP makes it sound magical.

Also it seems there's more of a community on PS4 than Xbox but all my friends play on xbox :(

Technical issues on PC have been mostly resolved. Aside from a few days of lovely login / database issues, it's been fine.

I cannot speak to consoles, they are still having problems I guess?

I've had way more than 40$ of fun-value from this game, thanks to Goons. Once you're decent enough, even public matches can be fun as you clown on Jason and get everything done, or wreck 8/8 with Jason.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You'd be surprised.

No, no I wouldn't. I spent ages in one round looking for the propeller as I has fueled the boat and Jason and the rest of the counselors stuck to the other side of the map. Eventually, Jason came for me. I flare gunned him, dove into the building nearest the boat and grabbed a weapon that I had seen earlier on the table.

It wasn't a weapon, it was the propeller :negative: I deserved my death after that.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Still kinda annoyed about the console versions being buggy as hell. Dropping games, etc but still having a lot of fun and always roleplaying Jason as close as I can to his iteration. Part 8 only does the head punch off kill, for instance. Never dodge shotguns either. You TANK it. Jason doesn't serpentine!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The goons and Duster have gotten good at killing Jason. The counterplay? Roll Jason III and go ham with LMB.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

Still kinda annoyed about the console versions being buggy as hell. Dropping games, etc but still having a lot of fun and always roleplaying Jason as close as I can to his iteration. Part 8 only does the head punch off kill, for instance. Never dodge shotguns either. You TANK it. Jason doesn't serpentine!

I do the same thing, I never try to dodge flares or guns. Jason doesn't know from that poo poo, he just keeps going forward.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basebf555 posted:

I do the same thing, I never try to dodge flares or guns. Jason doesn't know from that poo poo, he just keeps going forward.

I try to force these our as early as possible in the game. If someone has one, I chase until they feel they have to use it. There are only so many flare guns and shotguns on the map, and now you won't have it when you are trying to get the car going.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
There was a beautiful half day on Sunday where the quickmatch feature was working and every lobby I entered I ended up as Jason.

Then I unlocked part 8, the quickmatches stopped again and every lobby I joined the host would elect themselves Jason.

Got a few rounds in at part 8 though. Wasn't expecting to like him, but he's pretty good and deserved a better movie.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Had a lot of fun playing this for the first time yesterday. Anyone on PC who is on the fence, go for it. There's enough goons that private games were getting filled fast and everyone was friendly and having a good time.

What's the preferred method of getting around as a counselor? Should I be sneaking everywhere, jogging around, or what?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

There was a beautiful half day on Sunday where the quickmatch feature was working and every lobby I entered I ended up as Jason.

Then I unlocked part 8, the quickmatches stopped again and every lobby I joined the host would elect themselves Jason.

Got a few rounds in at part 8 though. Wasn't expecting to like him, but he's pretty good and deserved a better movie.

I love part 8. Try the trick where you avoid the door-buster animation - you'll have half the map broken down in no time. Perfect for stalking into those cabins later on.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sdoots posted:

Had a lot of fun playing this for the first time yesterday. Anyone on PC who is on the fence, go for it. There's enough goons that private games were getting filled fast and everyone was friendly and having a good time.

What's the preferred method of getting around as a counselor? Should I be sneaking everywhere, jogging around, or what?

Generally jogging is good, though sneaking can be important later on when there's only a few of you left since Jason's likely to go for the more noisy players first. Just keep in mind you don't want to blow all your stamina and run into trouble unexpectedly, so jogging with short walking/crouching breaks if you're going long distances can be a good idea.

The noise issue becomes a bigger and bigger problem the more stealth characters there are on your team, particularly if you aren't one of them. I've noticed even early on Jason will go for the non-stealth folks just because they're more noticeable than the others, which can lead to some real quick deaths if you're not ready for it.

And keep in mind that if you're in the woods alone, you want your flashlight on to minimize fear gain. More fear = more noise = more visible to Jason. Ducking into lit buildings kills your fear pretty quickly too (which is why Jason wants to cut the power whenever possible).

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Sdoots posted:

The answer is: it depends.

When the match starts, Jason is at his weakest with the longest cooldowns. He is generally easy to get away from, and has a lot of things on his priority list that needs doing if he is any good. The odds of him taking the time to chase you down are slim unless you make some really stupid mistakes and look like an easy kill. If he is going after you, you're probably in the house with the phone or near to it.

As such, you generally want to grab things and loot cabins as fast as possible early game. If you're a Vanessa or Bugzy, you can sprint around without too much fear of him suddenly rolling up on you. I usually dart around cabins as fast as I can early-game. Also, I would discourage more than one counselor per cabin early game, as you're not looting as efficiently as you could be.

Once you get a little deeper into the game jogging becomes the preferred method, and you'll want a bit of stamina reserved almost always. This may or may not hold throughout the end of the match depending on your counselor. Sneaky types probably want to be more sneaky as the match progresses.

Again, this all depends on the Jason, the counselor, how long the match has been going on for, and what you're near to.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Roy is objectively the best Jason. If you don't love Part 5 you're a real dummy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I just watched Part 7 for the first time, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but that ending with zombie dad was a real wtf. I watched the special features containing the horrible workprint quality deleted gore scenes. It's too bad that footage is lost, the head crush and sleeping bag kill were so much better there.

I still think I like Part 6 more. I haven't seen every movie all the way through though.

The remake is weird for me to watch because i was working on a show with the actress who has the big ol topless sex scene. Me and my coworkers saw it together and were not expecting that. Especially the phrase "perfect nipple placement". And that scene just kept going, too.

Which version of the remake did you watch

The Theatrical version basically had that be a never ending softcore sex scene for virtually no goddamn reason.

The Killer Cut actually gave it a purpose, though it was still pretty gratuitous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I could be getting my bad movies confused but isn't the remake the one where the money shot of the boobs are very obviously not real breasts and just some kinda prop?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Your tits are so juicy dude" is the best line in any movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite line in the remake is "It even curves to the left like my penis".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The goons and Duster have gotten good at killing Jason. The counterplay? Roll Jason III and go ham with LMB.

Another good counter one for Jason- if you hear mother, you get the gently caress back there right now right now right now.

Duster was lucky you had already came in as Tommy and even then I barely survived thanks to the space.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If you know people are likely to attempt a J-Kill Scenario, it doesn't hurt to throw a trap down in your hut doorway, if you've got some to spare. Not all Jasons can really 'waste' it there though.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

Another good counter one for Jason- if you hear mother, you get the gently caress back there right now right now right now.

Duster was lucky you had already came in as Tommy and even then I barely survived thanks to the space.

I got nabbed at the far west one at Packanack last night. You have to go on this loop-around hidden path which is super narrow. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, one easy shift + grab and I was toast.

Kelp Plankton posted:

If you know people are likely to attempt a J-Kill Scenario, it doesn't hurt to throw a trap down in your hut doorway, if you've got some to spare. Not all Jasons can really 'waste' it there though.

There's enough space in the doorway to run around it. :smug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wonder what a Ms. Vorhees killer would be like. It'd probably not really work since she was pretty easy to kill.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder what a Ms. Vorhees killer would be like. It'd probably not really work since she was pretty easy to kill.

Earlier in the thread, someone had the idea that she could be easily killable but have access to a bow and her music wouldn't kick in until she attacks someone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Earlier in the thread, someone had the idea that she could be easily killable but have access to a bow and her music wouldn't kick in until she attacks someone.

That'd be neat! And she could have more traps.

And a move where she murders someone's beloved pet snake.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i just want good matchmaking on ps4.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Lurdiak posted:

I could be getting my bad movies confused but isn't the remake the one where the money shot of the boobs are very obviously not real breasts and just some kinda prop?

There's a scene in X where we cut to a pair of boobs, but the nipples fall off. It's the stoner dude trying to turn the android into a sex-bot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

There's a scene in X where we cut to a pair of boobs, but the nipples fall off. It's the stoner dude trying to turn the android into a sex-bot.

Nah that's not what I'm talking about. I have a distinct memory of watching a lovely modern horror movie where they cut to someone's breasts, but it's clearly an actress wearing a not-too-convincing prosthetic so she doesn't have to show her actual breasts, then the rest of the scene is shot to avoid showing anything. I think it was the remake but it could be a completely unrelated film from around the same time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Definitely not the remake.

Those tits ARE so juicy, dude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fair enough, I watch a ton of lovely horror movies all the time so I'm not surprised I get confused sometimes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Lurdiak posted:

Pamela as a killer was one of their stretch goals that failed to be met.

So... maybe as DLC?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

Pamela as a killer was one of their stretch goals that failed to be met.

So... maybe as DLC?

God drat, all those stretch goals we didn't get sound awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Despite the bugs and failure to launch the Devs seem real passionate and I get the feeling the wanted to reahc those goals themselves... So I have a gut feeling me'll probably see them all at some point.

• Locked thread