Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I did a similar thing last summer, when I needed some drain pipe:

A thunderstorm came in as I was shopping, I waited 15-20 minutes (when the store closed) before loading it up and it had *almost* stopped raining by then...

Two questions where I suspect the answer to both is "yes":

a) My speedo needle is "fluttering". Used to do it only at low speeds (30-50km/h), but this summer it's started doing it up until about 80km/h. Do I need a new speedo cable?

b) Cheapest place I can get them from seems to be the UK. Are the cables different for RHD and LHD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How much would I hate myself for replacing my NA with a base 987 Boxster instead of a NC?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Drive one before you buy. That fat pig is the opposite of Miata Life™.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Drive one before you buy. That fat pig is the opposite of Miata Life™.
He could pick up a 986 and not be too far off an NC, those (986) are ~2800lbs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you don't want an NA or NB, and can afford it over an NC, I think a Boxster is pretty nice. It has more scoot and handles well, though the power top is wretchedly slow.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Why not an S2000? They seem to be getting stupid cheap these days. Making me wish I didn't have a Miata so I could justify buying one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sadi posted:

Why not an S2000? They seem to be getting stupid cheap these days. Making me wish I didn't have a Miata so I could justify buying one.

Cheap? What?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm looking at a 39k mile Boxster for $15k. The equivalent S2000 would average around $25k. I would generally prefer an S2000 to a Boxster but a Boxster can carry infant car seats whereas an S2000 can't.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A coworker is selling his AP2 w/90k on the clock for 17k down near Atlanta.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Two years ago when I bought my Miata, the minimum price for an S2000 (in Atlanta in the summer) was $15k, but I'm not sure what your definition of "stupid cheap" is. S2000s were already fawned over by ricers before one was prominently featured in The Fast And The Furious and Initial D, so most of them are either still expensive or destroyed by teenagers.

I like driving my mother's '03 Boxster pretty well. It's easily quicker than my Miata in both a straight line and in corners, even if it doesn't feel like it since she has a Tiptronic.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I've seen several 100-150k S2000s locally for 5k-7k. High mileage but I never really hear bad reliability things about them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ionn posted:

Two questions where I suspect the answer to both is "yes":

a) My speedo needle is "fluttering". Used to do it only at low speeds (30-50km/h), but this summer it's started doing it up until about 80km/h. Do I need a new speedo cable?

b) Cheapest place I can get them from seems to be the UK. Are the cables different for RHD and LHD?
[insert photo of ikea coffee table stuck in the passenger seat here]

The answer for the first one is no, not necessarily. That's a typical issue that I also had, it's just down to a lovely connection in the sensor. I was going to try the DIY fix but ran out of time and just stuck it back in. This actually fixed it for like two years :v:

Anyway, the proper DIY fix is super easy: http://revlimiter.net/blog/2012/09/dead-nb-speedometer-fix/

E: Can someone confirm or share where I can do so myself if BPP340300C is the correct part number for the NBFL pre silencer? Turns out I'm overdue on my tech inspection so I can't waste any time with the wrong exhaust parts when there's no way I'm passing with the muffler effectively completely disconnected :D
I checked the service manual but it doesn't list the correct parts.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 31, 2017

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

The answer for the first one is no, not necessarily. That's a typical issue that I also had, it's just down to a lovely connection in the sensor. I was going to try the DIY fix but ran out of time and just stuck it back in. This actually fixed it for like two years :v:

Anyway, the proper DIY fix is super easy: http://revlimiter.net/blog/2012/09/dead-nb-speedometer-fix/

If I read that right, the NB has some kind of electric speedo sensor. The NA (which I have) has an old-school spinning cable thing. I would think that as long as the speedo shows anything whatsoever and the gearbox isn't falling apart, the problem could really only be either the cable or the speedo itself.

Edit: Also there are definitely different parts for auto or manual transmission. Some places say their part "fits RHD" or "fits LHD", but noone I've found shows two different parts for the two variants. I guess it's possible for them to be either the same, or be of different lengths.

ionn fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 31, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ionn posted:

If I read that right, the NB has some kind of electric speedo sensor. The NA (which I have) has an old-school spinning cable thing. I would think that as long as the speedo shows anything whatsoever and the gearbox isn't falling apart, the problem could really only be either the cable or the speedo itself.

Edit: Also there are definitely different parts for auto or manual transmission. Some places say their part "fits RHD" or "fits LHD", but noone I've found shows two different parts for the two variants. I guess it's possible for them to be either the same, or be of different lengths.

My bad, didn't really notice that from the photo without the headlights, and it's a common NB fault. In that case you might be screwed then. It would make sense that the cables are different, as the hole on the transmission is probably in the same place but it needs to go to different sides of the vehicle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YES!

I discovered how to easily remove a few more part and gain access to the compressor pulley! Should be able to get it out tomorrow after work!

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have a question about Miatas and I thought this would be a better place to ask it than the general questions thread.

I love how the ND Miata looks and plan to buy one a 2017 one in sport trim w/manual tomorrow or the day after. Are there any problems with this model & trim or things/quirks/concerns to be aware of before I buy it?

Im a relaxed driver and live in southern CA so I'm not worried about having to drive it in snow/bad conditions or having the fastest car on the block or anything. Thanks!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Some of the 2017 non-RFs have the old transmission which seems to crap out after several thousand miles.

The RF supposedly has air chopping issues with the top down at high speeds, so keep an ear out for that during test driving if you're interested in the RFs.

E: oh and the back of the inner liner of the soft top pops out if it doesn't have the newer clips in it yet. Mine has popped out but I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealership yet. I also read that some of the tops have issues breaking their support straps and rubbing when in the down position. Mine doesn't have those issues it seems.

Everything mentioned is covered by the warranty but it's a headache and things to look out for.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 2, 2017

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I have a bit to say about the air sound.
The RF at 60-80mph open sounds about the same as the soft top at 60-80 when open. Loud at 60 to really loud at 80.

Put up the windows and you can get some foop-foop-foop. Remove the wind blocker and it's just consistently loud as the right side of your head goes through a wind tunnel.

To be honest, I didn't even notice until I read about it on the internet, ruiner of all things. It's not nearly as bad as some sedans or suvs with windows down. Notably, my parents honda accord and odyssey both had unbearable buffering when the windows or sunroof were open on the highway

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get the Club at least.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

if you would have the funds to spring for the club, test drive a club as well as the sport. there's enough of a difference on the manual models for it to be worth comparing.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

p.s. dealership says my nd's oil pressure sensor is bad

I tell ya, getting the engine oil warning light as you pull into freeway traffic will certainly put a crimp in your morning

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciated it.

I ultimately signed for the 2017 sport MT. The club was good, but I would have gotten it at MSRP, while the sport was available for 1400 below MSRP, and the LSD + touch screen + bigger tires & sportier shocks didn't seem worth it to me for like 6k more. I don't drive hard at all either so I felt the full benefit of the sportier parts would be mostly lost on me anyway.

Now I just have to save up to get some slick seats to replace the standard ones (and get more headroom)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Googly eyes!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I missed the cheap Boxster by an hour.

Did all NC2 Grand Tourings have a LSD, or is there a package I need to look for?

Considering this https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6160928823.html

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Took 15 years but I did it

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

Get the Club at least.

It's a few K more and from what I've read the club suspension sucks. Might just be better to swap in an LSD. Haven't driven them back to back though (source = Keith from Flyin' Miata)

To everybody talking about noise, these are GAME changing:

Etymotic earplugs

Can't believe I went almost 10 years without using them with top down. Cuts out almost ALL of the wind noise while maintaining enough sound so you can ear people around you, the engine, etc. I got them as I shoot weddings and needed earplugs for receptions that I could still talk to people with and I've been thrilled with them. 100mph all day top down with no fatigue.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elysium posted:

Took 15 years but I did it

:golfclap:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

blk posted:

Did all NC2 Grand Tourings have a LSD, or is there a package I need to look for?

The package with the LSD was separate. Look for yellow shocks. That's usually a give away.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

blk posted:

Bullet dodged

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

blk posted:

Decent price, not amazing but perfectly fine. I think the NC2 had to have the performance/sport/suspension or whatever package to get the LSD. Mine has all the options other than AT so I'm not sure. I personally think the NC2 needs the appearance package to look it's best, but I'm not sure how many cars you have to choose from in your area.

I bought my 09 two years ago with similar miles on it, with all the packages and some good mods (full Godwin exhaust, konis, and nice wheels) for about the same price, but I had to fly halfway across the country to get it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MOTHERFUCKER

I dropped the pulley off to have the bearing pressed out and the dude just messaged me and says the pulley bent when they tried to push it out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Dropped off implies paying a professional, so at least the mistake is on their plate and they'll be replacing the pulley

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can get a street (emissions) legal SC kit for the NC now - https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=643006 - both CARB and TÜV approved, which is great news.

Now if only they'd get the paperwork done for the NB 1.8...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Bullet dodged

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
I'm selling my Garnet Red hardtop if anyone is interested.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/6166605762.html

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^^ why would you split that from the car??

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This sounds like a spectacularly bad idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sentient Data posted:

Dropped off implies paying a professional, so at least the mistake is on their plate and they'll be replacing the pulley

No Mazda dealer has just the pulley and bearing in stock. He's looking at options and a fellow goon is looking at his pile of parts for me. At worst, a pulled compressor is $125 on Ebay so this isn't the worst thing that could happen.

Probably selling the car as soon as it's back on the road though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Well, after searching for months to get the perfectly-specd NB I think I do have to sell it. :( The wife hosed up her knee and can't drive it, and there are too many times where she has the truck and I have music gear to haul. Boo.

Anyone who thinks they'd be interested soon in a black '01 LS w/6spd, LSD and ABS in the Bay Area hit me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The guy who bent the pulley is now saying maybe it's not too bad and he thinks he can use the press to fix it.

Jesus Christ.