Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jimbot posted:

Which weapons do you guys roll with when you play with the Gunslinger perks?

Go for the LAR first because the default pistols for Gunslinger suck, then go for the Desert Eagles as soon as possible, beyond that kinda varies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

aniviron posted:

What IS useful the guaranteed stagger you get from the level 20 perk on close range zeds. I have saved so many teammates from being chainsawed/flesh pounded by staggering them at the last second, letting my allies land the final shots instead of dying.

Thanks for this. I never really considered that skill would be much use but having tried it, its an absolute blast. I get to tank the big guys with a face full of flame and when they run at me I just stagger them back and repeat. Mind you, I have to make sure not to anger too many at once as they'll gang up and make a mess of me when I'm reloading. Staggering a FP that makes him fall off something and have to take a long run back around amuses me no end.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll have to give the Deagles a shot then. I always got the S&W .500 when I could afford them. I've enjoyed them and blowing zeds in half with those elephant killers. Every time I buy them I heard the RE4 merchant laughing at how ridiculous those things are.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7U_EEE7GUs

I always wondered what would happen if a zed got into the grinder in Infernal Realm. I don't have to wonder anymore.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I'll have to give the Deagles a shot then. I always got the S&W .500 when I could afford them. I've enjoyed them and blowing zeds in half with those elephant killers. Every time I buy them I heard the RE4 merchant laughing at how ridiculous those things are.

Do note that I haven't played above Hard and I've only leveled Gunslinger to 11 or 12 so my advice might have flaws to it(not to mention I'm a console player)

Also in my opinion here on PS4 the worst perks aren't Survivalist or Firebug, it's Sharpshooter, if mostly because of it needing consistent headshots to be any good, and that's not an easy thing to do with a controller, also because the level 5 & 10 skills are garbage(left side leaves you too vulnerable, right side are worthless)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Descent map map is dope as poo poo, love the concept off it and firebug REALLY shines there with crowd control.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I always sell the default revolvers on the gunslinger asap and get the dual Berettas. I also don't like the Winchester since it takes forever to reload even with the quick reload skill. The super magnums are good but I feel like the Desert Eagles are a bit better due to faster reloads and slightly more ammo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man that last game I was in really makes me wish there was an option that could be set to restrict the number of people using a specific perk, cause there really shouldn't be more than one of any given perk on a team

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are these developers just not capable of making good boss fights? When the game first came out there was no way to get the Dr. out of his stupid ultra fast charge and energy drain/heal, but I'm glad that got changed because it was incredibly stupid and poorly designed. Now we have the Patriarch running off the map and healing almost all his HP back multiple times without stopping him. On Easy, sure, but on anything else that's not likely to happen. How long until his retreat is disruptable? A few years? Until the next garbage boss?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

Are these developers just not capable of making good boss fights? When the game first came out there was no way to get the Dr. out of his stupid ultra fast charge and energy drain/heal, but I'm glad that got changed because it was incredibly stupid and poorly designed. Now we have the Patriarch running off the map and healing almost all his HP back multiple times without stopping him. On Easy, sure, but on anything else that's not likely to happen. How long until his retreat is disruptable? A few years? Until the next garbage boss?

That's literally how the Patriarch has always been, and you can stop him if you body block him or freeze him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

drrockso20 posted:

Man that last game I was in really makes me wish there was an option that could be set to restrict the number of people using a specific perk, cause there really shouldn't be more than one of any given perk on a team

The worst is when your doing really well as your class then someone else switches to the same one after a few rounds :reject:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Jimbot posted:

Play Berserker and body block him if you're hardcore enough.

Play Sharpshooter and freeze nade him when he breaks into his heal threshold if you aren't hardcore enough. Railgun does bonkers crit damage, anyways.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Having gotten to 25 with the gunslinger and using him frequently in suicidal pub groups, my strategy usually boils down to: Make do with the starting revolvers/pistol, save cash until you can pick up a 1911 and a .500; then kill the daylights out of everything until you fill your loadout with akimbo 1911's, .500's, a medic pistol, and desert eagles, in order of necessity (I enjoy the large ammo pool and lower cost of the 1911's over the eagles, but if want to go for the bigger punch first you're not gonna gimp yourself in any fashion)

Also remember that alt-fire with akimbo pistols changes your sighting method; the single-pistol-in-front is really nice for sniping pesky husks.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gunslinger feels like they really want you to use revolvers but I just don't feel like they get the job done, you spend way too long reloading and the extra damage they deal is just not worth it compared to magazine-fed weapons. The 1858s are maybe the worst weapons in the game. I was going for 1911s + deagles but have switched to spitfires and deagles lately.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the .500s, meanwhile, are some of the best weapons in the game

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Plus you can't beat seeing a zed fly across the level when you kill them with one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you create a game in which you only play with friends? I wanted to create a short normal game with a friend who hasn't played for a while and it's been sitting "searching" for the last ten minutes.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Psion posted:

the .500s, meanwhile, are some of the best weapons in the game

Yeah I do definitely switch from spitfires/deagles to 500s/deagles for the last wave or two and boss. As much as I dislike the revolvers, you can't beat the power that the 500s bring.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRtBso6WFww

Playing games with micspammers.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jimbot posted:

How do you create a game in which you only play with friends? I wanted to create a short normal game with a friend who hasn't played for a while and it's been sitting "searching" for the last ten minutes.

I run a server on my PC when I LAN game with friends, and they can also connect across the internet if I forward some ports on my router. It's on the same PC I play from, but doesn't stress the CPU at all. Maps take longer to load on my machine as it's doing twice the I/O as everyone else, but everything else works fine. I throw the web admin screen up on my second monitor and can easily change difficulty/maps/etc.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Gromit posted:

I run a server on my PC when I LAN game with friends, and they can also connect across the internet if I forward some ports on my router. It's on the same PC I play from, but doesn't stress the CPU at all. Maps take longer to load on my machine as it's doing twice the I/O as everyone else, but everything else works fine. I throw the web admin screen up on my second monitor and can easily change difficulty/maps/etc.

I did this with KF1, it was great. Webadmin is such a nice interface.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/646672845014781006

WWAUT just saying "hey we're makin' stuff."

The bolded letters in the update spells "are you ready for a game?"

Also call me a tryhard crybaby but I've been trying to transition to frequenting hell on earth over suicide and it's actually really boring. There's a super-high cap on the amount of zeds that can be on the map at once, so to balance this they space out zed spawns for really long stretches of time. If your team can easily wipe a zed spawn you'll spend about twenty seconds at a time waiting for new spawns to come in.

So bizarrely, suicidal is more challenging solely because zeds constantly are spawning on suicidal instead of being beefed up.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 14, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Theta Zero posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/646672845014781006

WWAUT just saying "hey we're makin' stuff."

The bolded letters in the update spells "are you ready for a game?"

Tripwire posted:

L krsh wklv phvvdjh pdnhv lw rxw! Kruclqh lv xs wr qr jrrg dqg wkh zruog qhhgv wr nqrz! Zlwk dqb oxfn brx'oo ghflskhu wklv dqg ilqg wkh foxhv L'oo eh ohdylqj. Brx duh wkh rqob krsh zh kdyh wr vwrs wklv ehiruh lw lv wrr odwh! lxusglxoktj/znkyzgxz.vtm

It's ROT-23.

"I hope this message makes it out! Horzine is up to no good and the world needs to know! With any luck you'll decipher this and find the clues I'll be leaving. You are the only hope we have to stop this before it is too late!"

The last part is in ROT-20 and has fromafriend/thestart.png. If you put it on the Tripwire site you will be redirected to ""

I miss when everything was ARGs, honest.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Can someone tell me how to be good with the Microwave Gun? I'm level 23 and play on Suicidal, and it just seems so ineffective when compared to the Flamethrower. I've tried shooting the ground for ground fires, using the alternate fire, etc but I just put out so much less damage. With heavy zeds I prefer using the Flamethrower and the Incendiary Shotgun to be honest.

edit: Actually I'll use the Microwave Gun whilst soloing because the alternate fire pushes large zeds back, but in a full team it feels ineffective.

on the computer fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 30, 2017

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Can someone tell me how to be good with the Microwave Gun? I'm level 23 and play on Suicidal, and it just seems so ineffective when compared to the Flamethrower. I've tried shooting the ground for ground fires, using the alternate fire, etc but I just put out so much less damage. With heavy zeds I prefer using the Flamethrower and the Incendiary Shotgun to be honest.

edit: Actually I'll use the Microwave Gun whilst soloing because the alternate fire pushes large zeds back, but in a full team it feels ineffective.

That's cause it's a Big Zed weapon, not a trash cleaner like the Flamethrower. It fucks up Scakes and FPs really fast, but if you use it on trash it's a wasted effort and not nearly as effective as any other weapon. Plus with Heat Wave you can knockback a Big Zed twice, incredibly useful.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The easy rule to remember with the Microwave Gun is that it's good against anything with metal, and the more metal is has the better the MG does against it. That means it's good exactly inversely to what the flamethrower is good against- the MG does okay against Gorefasts, is decent against bloats, great against Sirens, Husks, FPs, and pretty good against Skrakes. It's bad against crawlers and clots. The Flamethrower is great against clots and crawlers, good against gorefasts, alright against bloats, and not so great at sirens, husks, and big guys. Oh, and MG is great against both bosses too.

For most classes I honestly feel okay sticking with the starting gear and then moving straight to the 1500D weapon asap, but Firebug isn't really meant to be played that way. Get the flamethower early, use the heck out of it on the waves where there are a ton of weaker enemies without metal, and then sell it and switch to the MG late game where there's not nearly as much trash to take out. Alternately, just hold on to the caulk gun and use that against weak stuff and save your MG ammo for the big guys and sirens.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

aniviron posted:

The easy rule to remember with the Microwave Gun is that it's good against anything with metal, and the more metal is has the better the MG does against it. That means it's good exactly inversely to what the flamethrower is good against- the MG does okay against Gorefasts, is decent against bloats, great against Sirens, Husks, FPs, and pretty good against Skrakes. It's bad against crawlers and clots. The Flamethrower is great against clots and crawlers, good against gorefasts, alright against bloats, and not so great at sirens, husks, and big guys. Oh, and MG is great against both bosses too.

For most classes I honestly feel okay sticking with the starting gear and then moving straight to the 1500D weapon asap, but Firebug isn't really meant to be played that way. Get the flamethower early, use the heck out of it on the waves where there are a ton of weaker enemies without metal, and then sell it and switch to the MG late game where there's not nearly as much trash to take out. Alternately, just hold on to the caulk gun and use that against weak stuff and save your MG ammo for the big guys and sirens.

I like playing a gun-focused Firebug. The pistols are my favorite (especially with double magazine size, wow) but the shotgun is nice as well. I hope they introduce a Firebug SMG at some point, like in KF1.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Thanks for the tips, definitely had more success/fun only focusing on large zeds. Wish they would bring back the Husk fireball launcher.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I like playing a gun-focused Firebug. The pistols are my favorite (especially with double magazine size, wow) but the shotgun is nice as well. I hope they introduce a Firebug SMG at some point, like in KF1.

Yeah, that quick writeup was more focused on if you want to use the flamethrower style weapons. The Spitfires are great and so is the trench gun, I think it's totally viable to use just those for most of the game, though you'd probably want to switch to Microwave for the boss. Might run into ammo troubles on higher difficulties with a full server, too.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
If you get the new Rising Storm, Tripwires latest teamkilling simulator, you'll get these neat skins in KF2.

Also I found the worst custom map in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_rL_u512IA

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
KF2 is one of the free PSN+ games for July on PS4.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
There's new secret achievements. I have a feeling the first Summer Event for KF 2 is upon us.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Skoll posted:

There's new secret achievements. I have a feeling the first Summer Event for KF 2 is upon us.

Yeah, five of them. I posted before there's also some super-secret file directory hinting at the summer sideshow as well. Files names for props like "summersideshow_rollercoaster".

Speaking of which, I was on the dev stream for community night for a while. I got to ask them about some weird stuff and they said they were aware of a mod which turned KF2 into an endless mode and were having a lot of fun with it. Also for some reason all the devs were using controllers on the PC.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 3, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
They just posted renders of the latest guns they're implementing. A pump action with double barrel capabilities and literally the LAR with a scope.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I am hyped for any new shotguns and something to get out of my M14 EBR comfort zone.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
So the ARG is pretty much complete. People mostly finished the puzzle and it looks like this:

And decoded some text to say:

quote:

We can't wait to meat (meet) you once more, are you ready to play with us? We have been waiting to come out for such a long time, for you to return. It won't be long before the curtains rise. See you soon, The Ring Master And Friendly Zeds.

Hmm.

Also reminder that this is the best KF1 song only because of the Thriller ripoff at 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Osn6MwaOA

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 4, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I have a level 21 sharpshooter and only now is when I learn that the railgun has an alt fire. I was wondering why it was so underwhelming and it was because the homing shots do 50% less damage :negative:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Marogareh posted:

I have a level 21 sharpshooter and only now is when I learn that the railgun has an alt fire. I was wondering why it was so underwhelming and it was because the homing shots do 50% less damage :negative:

Even with manual mode engaged it still feels underpowered. Give me the AWP back so I can throw 1500 dosh bullets at things. New shotgun is nice. Scoped LAR is good and I hope it won't cost 10x times the LAR. Now give the Medic perk some alternate weapons, that is the one perk that doesn't really have any crossover weapons.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Revolver Bunker posted:

Even with manual mode engaged it still feels underpowered.
What.

Sharpshooter is my favorite class because of how downright overpowered it is. With every damage-boosting perks the railgun one-shots Scrakes and two-shots Fleshpounds on HoE. On the boss wave, if everybody gets the railgun it just melts the boss, whether it's Hans or Kevin, and I couldn't beat HoE solo as SWAT without just ditching my weapons and using the railgun off-perk because it does so much damage anyways. Sharpshooter is the best class solely because of the railgun and freeze grenades. The fact that they're buffing it in the next patch just blows my mind as to why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

What.

Sharpshooter is my favorite class because of how downright overpowered it is. With every damage-boosting perks the railgun one-shots Scrakes and two-shots Fleshpounds on HoE. On the boss wave, if everybody gets the railgun it just melts the boss, whether it's Hans or Kevin, and I couldn't beat HoE solo as SWAT without just ditching my weapons and using the railgun off-perk because it does so much damage anyways. Sharpshooter is the best class solely because of the railgun and freeze grenades. The fact that they're buffing it in the next patch just blows my mind as to why.

If you can't headshot it's not very good. People who can't headshot bring down the numbers.

Same reason they kept nerfing firebug repeatedly, no aim required means the bar to be good at it is pretty low.