Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

cowboy elvis posted:

AMD for the CPU is certainly an interesting choice.

down this path lies regret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

AMD for the CPU is certainly an interesting choice.

The bulldozer architecture was really, really bad, true, but the Zen architecture is pretty kick-rear end, especially with multi-threaded workloads of any kind, at least at its price point. I mean, you could get a 6/12 Intel processor but it's gonna cost you 1000 bucks.

Basically, if you're going to play DX12 games, buy an AMD processor, because DX12 can actually deal with spreading computing loads out over all those cores. (Civilization and Rise of the Tomb Raider is noticeably faster on Ryzen than on any i5.)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 5, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've got fond memories of the Athlon days

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Phenom II

GET ON MY LEVEL

Unrelated: cranking the sperg up to eleven.. and then going right past it to twelve.

Warning: really spergy, no joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Athlon days back when they basically turned your computer into a portable space heater and the cpu cooler sounded like very small angry jet engine

They were good days

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Some days I miss that old Athlon 64 space heater...

And then I remember how often it overheated and shut down.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

Phenom II

GET ON MY LEVEL

Unrelated: cranking the sperg up to eleven.. and then going right past it to twelve.

Warning: really spergy, no joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

"but to answer that, we need to talk about parallel universes"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

tastefully arranged labia posted:

They're coming out with a new CPU in the next month or so called the Ryzen Threadripper. It's basically an enterprise server CPU. 16 cores, 32 threads, QUAD channel DDR4 memory (most midrange CPUs have single or dual channel), 64 PCIe 3.0 channels (the absolute best stuff Intel offers has 44 PCIe 3.0 channels, and it costs $2000+ for the CPU), and it costs less than half of what Intel is selling their Skylake-X chips for.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The final days of the single-core processors were a good time to be an AMD fan. RIP 939.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ahem

Dirt 4 and wipeout coming out soon. Amazon says June 6th for both? Also Dirt 4 is $40 and has been on amazon with prime for the last week, it's always $48 for the discount, what gives? I thought I read something they were getting rid of the preorder prime discount?

Wipeout I'll probably just want in the console

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
behold the dumbest round of pubg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F22CYknu6Ww

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I got a crossbow!

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

gently caress Athlon, and its anxiety filled cooler installation process. That poo poo was traumatizing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'll consider AMD if they can string together several years' worth of competitive products. They're recent line up of video cards look great for the money but I remember aggravating incompatibility issues and weird driver behavior for all the previous ATI/AMD cards I've owned.

I pay more for Intel and Nvidia but I know that they're going to be well-supported, good products.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Missionary Positron posted:

gently caress Athlon, and its anxiety filled cooler installation process. That poo poo was traumatizing.

click click CRUNCH whoops there goes the corner of your core

We've all been there. Also using my smallest pair of needlenose pliers to unbend pins that hit the socket. Pinless CPUs were like inventing fire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We've all been there. Also using my smallest pair of needlenose pliers to unbend pins that hit the socket. Pinless CPUs were like inventing fire.

Frankly, I preffered the pins to the Land Grid Array poo poo, that if you hit it with the corner of the CPU and bent a couple of the array pins, it was hectic hours with a needle to unbend them.

For most of my server hardware, I stick with Intel, but for desktops, I generally use AMD. Granted, my laptop has an i7.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Was it a video card back in the 90s or CPU that you could unlock the other cores by melting some lead onto the chip?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

click click CRUNCH whoops there goes the corner of your core

Even better when you pop the top off the heat shield to seat the sink directly on the die. Pucker factor 9.5, easy.

Wasn't it the Opterons that were sold for cheap as unlocked server chips? That was like AMD's moment in the sun before they (and Radeon, Jesus) got brakes beaten off them by Intel/Nvidia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Wasn't it the Opterons that were sold for cheap as unlocked server chips? That was like AMD's moment in the sun before they (and Radeon, Jesus) got brakes beaten off them by Intel/Nvidia.

Opterons were always server chips from the beginning. And generally, for the price, they are still the better budget CPU for servers especially if you need high core count for virtualization.

cowboy elvis posted:

Was it a video card back in the 90s or CPU that you could unlock the other cores by melting some lead onto the chip?

The AMD Thunderbird Pencil Mod is what you are thinking of:

http://www.ocmelbourne.com/tutorials/PencilTrick/

You also had the AMD Athlon X2s and X3s that could have cores unlocked with the right Motherboard/BIOS combo.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 5, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

cowboy elvis posted:

Again, the Athlon days. More expensive chips that didn't pass QA had bridges knocked out so they could be sold as less expensive models. If you got one of these you could use a pencil to reconnect the bridges and have a slightly defective top of the line chip on the cheap.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Even better when you pop the top off the heat shield to seat the sink directly on the die. Pucker factor 9.5, easy.

What heat shields? I'm talking about the days before heat shields. Before I switched to Intel and got my first multicore all the AMDs I bought had an exposed core sitting above the die. So wrenching down that required aftermarket cooler was always tense.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think I'm bottlenecking on system performance. I upped to 16 GB of RAM and dropped in a 970 about a year and a half ago. The motherboard and CPU are older- I have an i5 4570. Would it be worth it to swap out the mobo and processor for something newer?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I think I'm bottlenecking on system performance. I upped to 16 GB of RAM and dropped in a 970 about a year and a half ago. The motherboard and CPU are older- I have an i5 4570. Would it be worth it to swap out the mobo and processor for something newer?

You playing CPU-heavy games? Can you see what CPU utilization rate is during gameplay?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

cowboy elvis posted:

You playing CPU-heavy games? Can you see what CPU utilization rate is during gameplay?

I should probably boot up GRW to see something recent but MGV runs 30-60%. Less optimized games can run higher. I also use this system for work sometimes and that software is heavy data handling and computation.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well that processor is going on 4 years old. No harm in upgrading if the money is around for a new cpu/mobo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Woo, preloading Wipeout. Amazon has codes for $40 if you dislike PSN. A physical copy is $32 on amazon via prime.

22gb btw

9PM tonight PST

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Any of you geeks nostalgic for Mega Man X?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6U93ZG0FU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7JAjqNXwws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8NfRfDvuI8

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322110

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 5, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I have played this game for awhile now in beta and it is really good. The net code was a bit bad but they have been doing continuous work on this. You can set the difficulty to how ever you want.

Spikes instant kill? Turn that on or off.

Also co-op internet play is great.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

I have played this game for awhile now in beta and it is really good. The net code was a bit bad but they have been doing continuous work on this. You can set the difficulty to how ever you want.

the system requirements are great

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
on the topic of mega man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opADNvgeZYY

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Third World Reggin posted:

I keep meaning to pick it up because I loving love MM and MMX series games (up to X3). One day soon I'll get after it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

:spergin:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You may run into problems with offloaders like that but good poo poo overall.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

You may run into problems with offloaders like that but good poo poo overall.

I need to tweak it so the trains will go to the leftmost offloader and only use the rightmost one if the left one is already in use. I think i have a clumsy solution if I use the "OR: X Seconds have passed" on the rightmost stop.

But in the end I want 2 trains per stop for iron and copper each going to their own mines.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Holy poo poo the shotguns in Rising Storm 2 are amazing :stare:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jfc the haru dungeon in persona 5 is a goddamn grind

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 6, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wipeout

Pretty much exactly what we should have been expecting, hits all the right spots. Do not expect anything new, it's just Wipeout on the big screen. If you've never played Wipeout, but are trying Omega, you're in for a treat. Once you get the feel down again and :catdrugs: into the music it's dope.

I haven't dabbled with anything online yet, but largely seems to be something you'd have to coordinate beforehand. Seems to be one game but the three games campaigns are all separate? Or?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 6, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Capn Beeb posted:

Holy poo poo the shotguns in Rising Storm 2 are amazing :stare:

The duckbill is pretty laffo. Hip shooting with it works drat good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/mega-man-legacy-collection-2-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

mega man legacy 2 for ps4/bone/pc

7,8,9, and 10 included

two of those sucked hard and 2 are cool i guess

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/mega-man-legacy-collection-2-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

mega man legacy 2 for ps4/bone/pc

7,8,9, and 10 included

two of those sucked hard and 2 are cool i guess

Sweeeet. I don't care if 7 and 8 are the godamn worst. Playing 9 and 10 without streaming is gonna be aces. I have all the roms but playing them on the PS4 is fun. Legacy 1 was a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dirt 4 is lovely. The newly revised simulation handling is very cool. You would all be wise to pick up the game. And if the more demanding sim aspects are a deterrent, there's an equally capable and fun gamer handling mode available.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 6, 2017