Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who ever was saying the AI can't handle an early rush is right. I was doing my usual peacefull turtle style when I realized the cravers started right next to me and some how had 5 colonized systems to my 2. I made a guess that the AI doesn't horribly cheat so that means they've put all their production into colony ships, not military. I grabbed the first military tech that gives you real combat ships, built 2 attack and 1 defense ship and managed to take 3 of their systems with no pushback, they eventually truced out on me because I couldn't afford the influence to say no. Even cravers are push-overs to an early rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's really killing me right now are luxuries. So many of the luxuries are totally useless for development upgrades and if my corner of the galaxy only has poo poo luxuries it makes me just throw the game away. I wish they were a little more diverse so you don't end up with your consellation having 9 redsang deposits and all the juicy +dust +science +happiness resources not only don't spawn in your side of the galaxy but they never spawn at all.

Are there any console commands to like spawn resources or fiddle with the game? Map gen modding?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 4, 2017

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Thanks, I signed up.

Honestly, any of them. Sophons are probably the most vanilla/straightforward.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

I'd be interested if there's still room. Probably get wrecked though

Hey guys we'll be starting in 3.5 hours, here's the discord link. Add me on steam as well, my handle is same as forum name.
https://discordapp.com/invite/dPttr8G

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Gamesguy posted:

Hey guys we'll be starting in 3.5 hours, here's the discord link. Add me on steam as well, my handle is same as forum name.
https://discordapp.com/invite/dPttr8G

Anyone gonna stream this

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Anyone gonna stream this

Seconded, I'd watch the hell out of that

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Shab posted:

Seconded, I'd watch the hell out of that

Joke's on you, we'll probably desync and restart 6 times in 40 minutes and give up.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just lost my Sophons game to a Lumeris economic victory. I think I might turn that off next time. Are trade corporations still really busted? Mine were pulling in 20k alone at the end of the game.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I've only finished one game so far and that was also a Lumeris economic victory around turn 130, so I've been playing without it since then.

Trade companies seem to develop gradually up to a point and then they suddenly spike to utterly ridiculous amounts. I'm not sure exactly what causes it.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Game is up, join on discord and join on me in steam.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The current strategy is yeah, unless you're gunning for it yourself, turn off Economic Victory, or else you'll have factions running headlong into it as more trade companies open up. The most abusable aspect of trade routes is really Luxury Resource generation: on an Endless game I was playing, four or five of them were maxing out every turn, and I could dump them for a cool quarter of a million+ without feeding the crazy (55x) inflation rate more than my 100k dust/turn generation was.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Each trade company HQ forms a trade route to each of your trade subsidiaries, as well as each of the trade subsidiaries of any civs you have a trade agreement with. Each system along a trade route contributes dust, science and luxuries, so the longer the trade route, the more money/luxuries you get from it. So, ideally you want your trade HQs on one side of your empire, as far away from any allies as possible, and your trade subsidiaries on the other side of your empire. That said, positioning isn't super important compared to building those trade HQs/subsidiaries as soon as they're unlocked.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah trade is busted, and those big numbers end up meaningless when you spend more per production point, but it still ramps to a swift economic victory. That is by far the most unsatisfying win.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Multiplayer report. There are the occasional desyncs every 15 turns or so but reloading is quick and painless. So the game is playable.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How many players were aboard in that trip?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Picked it up due to word of mouth, can't even get through the tutorial without it hard-locking every time I try to click one particular star system (that apparently has something called an Academy in it?)

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

ZearothK posted:

How many players were aboard in that trip?

Merrill Grinch posted:

Picked it up due to word of mouth, can't even get through the tutorial without it hard-locking every time I try to click one particular star system (that apparently has something called an Academy in it?)

Go into options and disable the video that plays every time you explore a new system. This bug only happens in the tutorial.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Trip report: The technical aspect worked a lot better than I expected. We did have several desyncs, but in a surprise improvement from EL, they happen after the start-of-turn autosave, so they took literally 2 minutes to fix and with no progress lost.

On the other hand, we played for 3 hours and made it to about turn 50 with zero PVP combat. As much fun as Space Simcity is, I'm going to recommend that next time we do it, we play on Fast game speed, people make a conscious effort to not take 5-8 minute turns in the early game, and nobody sets their house on fire.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So is there any indication of which factions are overpowered or underpowered in a PvP setting? I'd imagine that the Pacifist factions would be a whole lot weaker when their opponents realize how big those bonuses can get. On the other hand, maybe people would just aim for allied victories with them?

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
Anyone ever had their food surplus start converting to industry once their planets fill up? I don't have the tech that makes this happen, and it seems really overpowered. I'm pretty sure it must be a bug, I'm Horatio if that matters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gammymajams posted:

Anyone ever had their food surplus start converting to industry once their planets fill up? I don't have the tech that makes this happen, and it seems really overpowered. I'm pretty sure it must be a bug, I'm Horatio if that matters.

The Horatio have a population bonus at 50 where they convert their surplus food into Influence. Are you confusing it with that? I mean, have you specifically checked that it's production getting boosted, or did you just see the 0 food and assume?

For the record though, they can double dip and convert their food into both influence and production at the same time if they have the tech.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 5, 2017

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I got the population bonus at 50, yes. I wonder if it's a bug where it becomes industry instead of influence, because my production just went crazy when my home system filled up. It was at 2-300 production and now it's at 928.

Edit: If this isn't a bug I'd like to know what causes it, because I want to be able to do this every game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, you can mouse over the production number to see exactly where it's coming from. If it says "converted from food" that would answer it.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Clarste posted:

Well, you can mouse over the production number to see exactly where it's coming from. If it says "converted from food" that would answer it.

Yes, my biggest industry system has 998 production, +730 of which is converted from food. I'd just be interested in knowing if this is a standard feature that always happens when a system fills up, or if I did something to trigger it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Whoever said the AI is never prepared for an early war was right. I got boxed in by the UE and managed to throw two small fleets at them and claim 3 planets, reducing them down to just their home system. I'm about to bust down the door and take that too. The Manpower system is still mystifying, but waiting a few turns before invading seems to make things a lot easier.

Also the custom factions system is too broken. I took the UE's trait and gave the pops the bonus of the Riftborn, and with a population booster it is nuts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gammymajams posted:

Yes, my biggest industry system has 998 production, +730 of which is converted from food. I'd just be interested in knowing if this is a standard feature that always happens when a system fills up, or if I did something to trigger it.

It's normally from a late-tier building called the Bio-Fuel Plant or something like that. If you haven't built one, then it must be a bug.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Serf posted:

Whoever said the AI is never prepared for an early war was right. I got boxed in by the UE and managed to throw two small fleets at them and claim 3 planets, reducing them down to just their home system. I'm about to bust down the door and take that too. The Manpower system is still mystifying, but waiting a few turns before invading seems to make things a lot easier.

Also the custom factions system is too broken. I took the UE's trait and gave the pops the bonus of the Riftborn, and with a population booster it is nuts.

As for what determines mapower generation rate I still don't know. But at fleet screen on the left you can see an icon that sort of looks like manpower symbol. Next to it is a percentage of maximum manpower of a fleet and a % of projected replenishment next turn. Next to it is an actual number of soldiers and tanks I think.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Manpower is generated by food. A fraction of the food you produce is taken away and turned into Manpower instead of Population. Which makes sense since they're people, so you get the more of them the same way you get more civilians.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Manpower is generated by food. A fraction of the food you produce is taken away and turned into Manpower instead of Population. Which makes sense since they're people, so you get the more of them the same way you get more civilians.

I got tired of Manpower taking so long to... do whatever it does, so I researched the +food to Manpower techs and built that stuff. Hasn't been much of a problem since. The food techs in general seem good because more pops faster is generally better. And that end-tier tech that converts excess food to production is also very good.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Clarste posted:

So is there any indication of which factions are overpowered or underpowered in a PvP setting? I'd imagine that the Pacifist factions would be a whole lot weaker when their opponents realize how big those bonuses can get. On the other hand, maybe people would just aim for allied victories with them?

Not from our game, which just didn't go very far. The Unfallen player had a significant lead scorewise and won several of the global achievements (first two Wonders, first to have a level 9 hero, first to have 8 planets), but I don't know if that was because he was Unfallen or just generally playing well.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Are there any guides for unit design, or does the auto design work well enough? I'm really enjoying what I've played so far, but I always bounce hard off of having to worry about the minutiae of my units.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

Not from our game, which just didn't go very far. The Unfallen player had a significant lead scorewise and won several of the global achievements (first two Wonders, first to have a level 9 hero, first to have 8 planets), but I don't know if that was because he was Unfallen or just generally playing well.

Unfallen do seem to get really good production and happiness bonuses, which pushes them ahead in the early game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Are there any guides for unit design, or does the auto design work well enough? I'm really enjoying what I've played so far, but I always bounce hard off of having to worry about the minutiae of my units.

in my experience, missiles on everything, and defensive modules to counter your current enemy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Unfallen don't get a production bonus per say, but they get a good food bonus. Guardians give them a nice happiness bonus, and there is usually one on your home planet to scan turn one for an extra pop. Their colonization mechanic lets them spread pretty fast, and if there are any of those +50 to X when you have your influence things around them their home system gets the bonus when it is vined. More people is more production, and not having to worry much about happiness/food/colony ships lets them focus more on industry/science/dust.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

in my experience, missiles on everything, and defensive modules to counter your current enemy.

Missiles have been pretty disappointing for me overall. Even if you win, you take a lot of damage because they're shooting you while the missiles are flying. I've been much safer with long-ranged lasers on everything and the Barrage tactic. Although that kind of requires you to have numerical or technological superiority.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Space combat and the tactical choices make sense to me. Enemy is all kinetic? Turtle. Enemy is all energy? Pump those shields! They seem to work and I understand when to use certain tactics to my advantage. Ground combat though, I have no loving idea.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I kinda wish they had the combat from ES1 again. Three stages with you picking a card for each stage would've been much more engaging. Just gotta have a one-button auto-resolve still.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Space combat and the tactical choices make sense to me. Enemy is all kinetic? Turtle. Enemy is all energy? Pump those shields! They seem to work and I understand when to use certain tactics to my advantage. Ground combat though, I have no loving idea.

There are two sides to ground combat, and they're completely different. For the invaders, you have Preemptive Bombardment, Guerrilla Warfare, and Blitz. Preemptive is the generically good one, assuming it isn't bugged. Guerilla is weak but but keeps your troops safe, generally used for when you're just waiting for reinforcements. Blitz is technically the strongest, but you also lose the most troops. It's for when you have an overwhelming manpower advantage.

For the defenders, you have Conscription, Protect System, and Tactical Surrender. Conscription eats up a population to give a huge boost to the manpower used in battle (this can even exceed the maximum, I believe). Protect is generically good. Tactical Surrender means you lose the system, but no buildings or population are lost and the enemy gains control of it slower; it's for when you expect to conquer it back immediately.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
While even on Endless I've found little micromanagement of your flotillas necessary after a point, generally the safest configuration before you fine-tune for whatever aliens you've decided to subjugate/eat is Kinetic Rounds for weaponry (unlike Missiles/Beams, they are usable at all ranges as opposed to just long/short respectively, and unlike your Star Wars turbolasers, they can shoot down enemy Missiles, which leads to hilariously one-sided engagements), either all hull plating or if you have the tech for it a combination of Shields and Plating for defense, and for support, as many engines as you can cram on the thing. You may find it necessary to swap in, say, damage/crit modules if your enemy has larger hulls or more advanced armaments to make up the difference, but most of the time these prove to be overkill, and not worth sacrificing the strategic advantage additional movement affords (since engine techs are tied to Science & Exploration tiers, even endgame the AI will usually be farting around with the beginner engines or just the Hyperium ones) as well as the passive evasion buff (which you can only otherwise get from Antimatter Shields).

While this does beg the question of what to do with support ships, I only ever used them for the fleet movement booster which if you cram your 1CP ships full of (oh this is another thing, bigger hulls are always more cost-effective if you can spot the Resources, except for the Tier 1 support hulls, which will be useful until the endgame for filling out your odd extra fleet CPs or cramming to the brim with repair/movement boost/Essence nomming modules), you can tugboat anything from a frigate to an Ark across the galaxy with a pool of hundreds of movement points in one turn. I would have probably told the Academy quest to gently caress off otherwise.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 6, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I've found kinetics on support and long-range lasers on attack plus a balance of shields and armour will deal with anything, assuming I pick the right card. Everything else just seems to end up losing more ships than is preferable. I always pick energy for my tech choice and hope I'll pick up a boosted kinetic cannon from ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Aethernet posted:

I've found kinetics on support and long-range lasers on attack plus a balance of shields and armour will deal with anything, assuming I pick the right card. Everything else just seems to end up losing more ships than is preferable. I always pick energy for my tech choice and hope I'll pick up a boosted kinetic cannon from ruins.

I ended up just running the highest level of whatever laser I could in my Vodyani game, as Vodyani heroes (of which I ended up with like 6) have a skill that boosts Energy damage by 40/80%, and the Quadrinix lasers I spent most of the game using, if I read them right, deal splash damage to the enemy fleet. I was also fortunate that the Riftborn, the only faction in that game that didn't stab me in the back or constantly tax me with Influence demands, researched the advanced Kinetic weapons, which you can trade for even after locking yourself out of that particular tech through research. I assume the same applies to all the other techs that present binary choices.