Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's something I actually do dislike about DRG but I've come to accept it and get over it at least. I'm not enough of a bad that I single target dps on big pulls, I can at least say.

See the thing is, running out of TP isn't a bad thing unless you're hitting just 1-2 mobs with your doom spike and everyone is over half life when you're running dry. Basically switch to single target after you've popped invigorate and you're sub 400 TP again. Other than that always be doom spiking.

You can also pop BotD at the start of a pull to get a geirskogul in for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also, some of this may change in Stormblood, where a lot of aoes are getting diminishing returns. why that is, i don't know. it seems bizarre to me to penalize aoe abilities for being used on large pulls.

isn't it just that one scholar thing to bring it in line with holy and gravity already having diminishing returns? i think they just don't want the dps jobs with good AoE to get their niche intruded on

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also, some of this may change in Stormblood, where a lot of aoes are getting diminishing returns. why that is, i don't know. it seems bizarre to me to penalize aoe abilities for being used on large pulls.

The goal is to reduce the amount of megapulling that happens now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

They probably don't want you to pull as many mobs at once.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

isn't it just that one scholar thing to bring it in line with holy and gravity already having diminishing returns? i think they just don't want the dps jobs with good AoE to get their niche intruded on

BLM AoE spells also have diminishing returns though, and have had them since HW.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

People are still going to go for the biggest possible pulls and will still clear faster than the groups that single pull. At least until the dark day when we get a locked door between every trash group or a dungeon made entirely out of Baelsar's Wonkavators.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brother Entropy posted:

No, AoE potency is down across the board with a handful of exceptions. For instance Fire 2 is 100 potency (180 in Astral Fire 3) on live, but is becoming 80 potency (144 in AF3) if current tooltips are to be believed.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

If you won't respect the content, Yoshi will make you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

No, AoE potency is down across the board with a handful of exceptions. For instance Fire 2 is 100 potency (180 in Astral Fire 3) on live, but is becoming 80 potency (144 in AF3) if current tooltips are to be believed.

oh yikes, hadn't heard about that one

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Elswyyr posted:

So I haven't played this game since the start of this year, but I'm an EU player on excal and i've heard stuff about the lag being really bad post data center move. How has the rest of the eu diaspora dealt with that? vandes tell me what to do

I'm on the same boat. My ping on resource manager stays around 170-190. I have been playing fine, but there is a considerable adjustment you have to do. Many times I got hit ages after I left the aoe marker. You really have to pay more attention to it, but it's perfectly possible.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

vOv posted:

BLM AoE spells also have diminishing returns though, and have had them since HW.

Fire II potency is down to 144 in Astral 3 though and that's the highest spammable AoE that's not subject to diminishing returns or has some other cost to it (Doom Spike will be a combo action off of Sonic Thrust etc.)

Edit: ef;b

Thundarr posted:

People are still going to go for the biggest possible pulls and will still clear faster than the groups that single pull. At least until the dark day when we get a locked door between every trash group or a dungeon made entirely out of Baelsar's Wonkavators.

The other shoe dropping will be with the encounter design either emphasizing Baelsar's style 'waves' or the individual trash packs being quicker to AoE down in smaller groups than larger groups.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 5, 2017

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, being as how I'm two patches away from finishing up HW and fishing around for some things to do while I await Early Access, I thought I'd begin leveling up Gathering and Crafting and quickly got sucked down that rabbit hole.

I realize it's not rocket science, but I'd *love* direction to a good, up-to-date, concise guide on how to best level up quickly with some reference resources to finding items/levequest nodes quickly. Does anyone have a link to something that might suit that?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thundarr posted:

It's weird, yeah. The devs clearly don't seem to want people to be doing big pulls, but none of their attempts to curb it actually solve the problem of "it is the fastest available way to clear the dungeon". Nerfing aoes is just another half measure; it'll be slower and less fun, but still the fastest way to clear, so people are still gonna do it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only thing the AOE nerf is going to accomplish is make things suck more for the good players and make the bad players feel more justified for being bad.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

So, being as how I'm two patches away from finishing up HW and fishing around for some things to do while I await Early Access, I thought I'd begin leveling up Gathering and Crafting and quickly got sucked down that rabbit hole.

I realize it's not rocket science, but I'd *love* direction to a good, up-to-date, concise guide on how to best level up quickly with some reference resources to finding items/levequest nodes quickly. Does anyone have a link to something that might suit that?

I too would like this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its like a game that makes its money on subs is trying to prolong gameplay as much as possible.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Leal posted:

Its like a game that makes its money on subs is trying to prolong gameplay as much as possible.

careful friend, you're cracking this whole thing wide open with that sort of talk

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

This guide seems pretty comprehensive for crafting stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Leal posted:

yeah they're definitely going to really eek out that extra $13 because people are spending 10 extra GCDs in the 2 dungeons they run a day

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i hope to poo poo stuff is easier to kill when questing, gently caress mobs had waaayy too much hp while questing in heavensward.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the funny thing about the devs not liking big pulls is that those're the times when honest healing is actually the most understandable, weaving in some cleric'd holies and aero 3s is way riskier when there's 9 or 10 enemies wailing on a tank than when there's just 3

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Leal posted:

my man have you ever heard a good thought about this game? are they charging us to rent time now in dungeons or something?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Players will receive a set of gear in a box from the level 70 job quest, from which you can pick a set of Artifact Gear. This is to ensure all players are the same item level when they hit Level 70.
Hell yeah gimme those baller outfits.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Elswyyr posted:

So I haven't played this game since the start of this year, but I'm an EU player on excal and i've heard stuff about the lag being really bad post data center move. How has the rest of the eu diaspora dealt with that? vandes tell me what to do

Unlike the other two people we have seen some seriously annoying problems with casting oGCDs and dodging AOES. I feel like it's not really reasonable to have to react to aoes and instakills before they even happen. There will be some new EU servers opening up with free server transfers when stormblood hits, some EU goons will be moving to one of those. So I guess ymmv? :shrug:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
they've also already solved the issue of chain pulls. I don't think you can pull more than 2x packs in sohm al hard, which is about how much I'd really want to anyway. if you want people to pull less mobs, stop them from doing it. expecting players to do the math on how much to pull is expecting way too much from like 95 percent of players in the game.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

VHGS posted:

This guide seems pretty comprehensive for crafting stuff.

Incredibly comprehensive and updated two days ago? That's amazing. Thank you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they've also already solved the issue of chain pulls. I don't think you can pull more than 2x packs in sohm al hard, which is about how much I'd really want to anyway. if you want people to pull less mobs, stop them from doing it. expecting players to do the math on how much to pull is expecting way too much from like 95 percent of players in the game.

But then you go into Baelsar's and a lot of parties die on the first full chainpull (or even just the double pull) because those Sagittarii are magnificent bastards.

But also they disabled the last chain pull in Sohm Al HM (the last mob pack now can only spawn when the second last group is fully dead.)

So these AoE efforts might be aimed at people trying to do Baelsar's shenanigans rather than Sohm Al HM ones.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
blah.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 5, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Brother Entropy posted:

the funny thing about the devs not liking big pulls is that those're the times when honest healing is actually the most understandable, weaving in some cleric'd holies and aero 3s is way riskier when there's 9 or 10 enemies wailing on a tank than when there's just 3

Stoneskin/regen at the start, cleric aero III, swiftcast holy, divine seal, holy, holy, holy, holy and if the tank gets low benediction him and keep holying.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Stoneskin/regen at the start, cleric aero III, swiftcast holy, divine seal, holy, holy, holy, holy and if the tank gets low benediction him and keep holying.

Yeah, you shouldn't be weaving Holy because Holy is the most effective and practical crowd control and defensive skill in the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

hey i'm not saying i don't dps in big pulls, just that the idea of doing so can be understandably intimidating to less-skilled players

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Benediction is 3 minutes in SB so at least Holy spam got a buff.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is incorrect. If you have time to stoneskin before a pull, it means that your tank isn't pulling fast enough and you should facepull the mobs for the tank.

Furthermore, the opening is Divine Seal -> Regen -> Swiftcast Holy -> Aero 3 -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> Shout MANA SONG on mumble.

Use asylum too if it's a hard pull.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

nuru posted:

Benediction is 3 minutes in SB so at least Holy spam got a buff.

And tetragrammation will heal for full potency while you DPS.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ntan1 posted:

This is incorrect. If you have time to stoneskin before a pull, it means that your tank isn't pulling fast enough and you should facepull the mobs for the tank.

Furthermore, the opening is Divine Seal -> Regen -> Swiftcast Holy -> Aero 3 -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> Shout MANA SONG on mumble.

Use asylum too if it's a hard pull.

You can move divine seal to after swiftcast holy and it will last longer. Regen and your SW/Holy have no cast time and you're not using an oGCD after them anyways. That's why you'd want to use it after swiftcast holy. And yeah, I was thinking that aero III should be after. The important thing is to hit that holy button until you can't hit it anymore. Might be good to pop shroud at some point too.

oh yeah assize. mash that poo poo on cooldown.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 5, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Skaw posted:

With the SCH changes the way they are, I'm feeling more like dungeon WHM is the way to go for roulettes unless something changes before release.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Skaw posted:

And so will Assize.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Assize is the real winner for SB. Now you get both high heals and high aoe damage all the time instead of choosing between the two. I think I'm going to judge all whms from now on if they're mashing that button on cooldown or not.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I usually don't put regen on the tank on the pull, because the mobs are gonna be stunned for the first 10 seconds anyway, so the regen ticks are wasted. Plus, I'm gonna benediction the tank when it gets low anyway. I generally just drop divine seal and regen when I have to leave cleric stance to tetragrammaton when benediction is on cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I was taking the reduced potency on aoes as an adjustment made to counter accuracy being replaced with direct hit.

• Locked thread