Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's just a tray of buttons and widgets... What would you propose??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol: The new 1-page control panel looks loving terrible.

It looks fine. I'm wondering where all my Homekit stuff will go though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It looks perfectly fine to me.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sonos not mentioned on the Airplay 2 compatibility list. Ugh.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

Sonos can't even do HDMI compatibility. gently caress Sonos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how they still dedicate space to that night mode icon. Certainly is a feature I'm glad to be able to toggle in an instant.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
AR games, have I clicked the wrong link and got a video from 2013?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eames posted:

Good, gently caress sonos

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
What the hell was that business about the lock screen and Notification Center?

Also why does my phone capitalize Notification Center.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

I like how they still dedicate space to that night mode icon. Certainly is a feature I'm glad to be able to toggle in an instant.

I do. I have it on most of the time, but I want to toggle it quickly for viewing colour accurate stuff.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ManSedan posted:

What the hell was that business about the lock screen and Notification Center?

Also why does my phone capitalize Notification Center.

Because it's an Apple product or feature. You can type iPad, iPhone, or iMac and Apple will auto-capitalize all the important parts.

Now try and type mac mini and see how Apple doesn't capitalize anything. :rip:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How can they call if they have your phone 😇

I of course always buy an extra backup every time I buy a new iPhone!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed with ios11? Logic indicates they are holding a bit back for the next iPhone, but was hoping for a new KB. updates to the springboard, etc. The iPad enhancements look great though

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
They are absolutely saving a bunch of iOS 11 specific features for the new iPhone announcements in the fall.

If past events predict future ones, they'll go through a quicker rundown of the iOS 11 updates they covered today before revealing the new slate of iPhones. Then dig deep into the specific exclusive features the new hardware will get with iOS 11.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I came in late and could have sworn I saw them just saying Facebook messages would not be interraged into iMessage but I must have misheard.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Vintimus Prime posted:

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed with ios11? Logic indicates they are holding a bit back for the next iPhone, but was hoping for a new KB. updates to the springboard, etc. The iPad enhancements look great though

it looks really good on the iPad. Really good.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

From Ars, looks like no support for the last of the 32bit devices for ios11

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/goodbye-32-bit-ios-11-ends-support-for-the-iphone-5-and-the-ipad-4/

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed with ios11?

Literally the only one.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thwomp posted:

They are absolutely saving a bunch of iOS 11 specific features for the new iPhone announcements in the fall.

If past events predict future ones, they'll go through a quicker rundown of the iOS 11 updates they covered today before revealing the new slate of iPhones. Then dig deep into the specific exclusive features the new hardware will get with iOS 11.

I figured this might be the case because holy poo poo was that a bunch of boring features. I guess I'm not sure what to expect at this point.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GoldfishStew posted:

I came in late and could have sworn I saw them just saying Facebook messages would not be interraged into iMessage but I must have misheard.

I hope not, Facebook messages need to stay on Facebook so I can continue to ignore them.

xzzy posted:

Isn't the whole deal with the new Notification Cetner that you can add/remove stuff as you wish? I know that's the first thing I'm removing, followed by Airplane Mode, Do Not Disturb, AirPlay Mirroring, and AirDrop, none of which I have ever used even once.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen the list of iOS 11 features, but people were bitching about iOS 10 being underwhelming when it had more new features that almost every other iOS revision.

I don't know what mythical Stevenote people are remembering that makes each new version look so much worse, but it must have been really good.

And I kind of doubt they're saving features for the Fall. They'll tweak stuff between now and then, but the Fall is all about hardware. It's going to be the same iOS 11 no matter what the iPhone looks like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The difference with old Stevenotes is that iOS was still new and gaining major features, so something like "Now with apps!" or "Notification center!" was a big deal. Now iOS is pretty mature so the new features are useful, QOL things, but not really game-changing. (I can see ApplePay person to person to be very useful though.)

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Have they announced Apple glasses or whatever yet? I want to be like those cool google pixel people and strap my phone to my face so that I can awkwardly watch Netflix or HBOgo.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Need to change their emojis into little blob people for iOS 11

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

And I kind of doubt they're saving features for the Fall. They'll tweak stuff between now and then, but the Fall is all about hardware. It's going to be the same iOS 11 no matter what the iPhone looks like.

iPhone models with new hardware always have some kind of exclusive feature in iOS when they launch. Siri debuted with the iPhone 4S. TouchID debuted with the 5S. 3D Touch with the 6S. The new hardware brought a bunch of exclusive iOS functionality with it.

Given that rumors point to a major redesign and new hardware in the iPhone 8/X/Edition, there will be associated exclusive iOS functions that work with that hardware. AR stuff seems to be a safe bet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The difference with old Stevenotes is that iOS was still new and gaining major features, so something like "Now with apps!" or "Notification center!" was a big deal. Now iOS is pretty mature so the new features are useful, QOL things, but not really game-changing. (I can see ApplePay person to person to be very useful though.)

Sure, but that feature from iOS 10 where you can leave one app to enter another app and then return to the first app by selecting it in the top left-hand corner? That's the poo poo.

So even small stuff can have pretty outsized improvements in how you use the device.

Thwomp posted:

iPhone models with new hardware always have some kind of exclusive feature in iOS when they launch. Siri debuted with the iPhone 4S. TouchID debuted with the 5S. 3D Touch with the 6S. The new hardware brought a bunch of exclusive iOS functionality with it.

Given that rumors point to a major redesign and new hardware in the iPhone 8/X/Edition, there will be associated exclusive iOS functions that work with that hardware. AR stuff seems to be a safe bet.

Back when they announced Siri I don't think they had public betas. It's going to be real tough to hide something iPhone X-centric in the OS.

You're probably right though. They'll need to do something to make the iPhone X so much better than a plain 7s. But the hardware might be enough to differentiate.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 5, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You guys are silly if you don't use night mode while reading the forums in bed at 3am

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just have it set to auto and don't mess with it except that I turn it off on my iPad when reading comics.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The ipad stuff seems pretty good, and the driving stuff is potentially pretty good. The control center change is something I'm curious about because I use almost everything on all three panels so I wonder what that's going to look like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too bad there's nothing but preliminary studies regarding the effect of blue light and sleep quality. But hey everyone makes health decisions based off headlines so what's one more on the pile. :angel:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I was really hoping for standalone CarPlay when they started talking about it. I.e. The phone just turns in to CarPlay mode when I am in the car. But the do not disturb thing works pretty well as a concept

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Too bad there's nothing but preliminary studies regarding the effect of blue light and sleep quality. But hey everyone makes health decisions based off headlines so what's one more on the pile. :angel:

Regardless it's still way softer on your eyes in a dark room at night.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Except it doesn't?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Josh Lyman posted:

You guys are silly if you don't use night mode while reading the forums in bed at 3am

I love night shift on my phone, but I still can't get used to it on my Mac.

I've been playing with the new control panel. It's fine. I think they just reallllllly want people to use 3D Touch or whatever it's called.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why the gently caress would I want siri in my house

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/871859793442373632

Holy poo poo I can finally toggle cellular from control panel without having to do airplane mode and killing Bluetooth. There's one part of my commute when I come up from the subway where my phone gets stuck in 4G and doesn't kick over to LTE for about 15 minutes unless I toggle cellular.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

fourwood posted:

Yeah, in my experience they'll say "we'll call you when it's ready in a couple hours", unless it's something where they swap the whole phone for a refurb on the spot (not sure what the home button repair is like).

EDIT: I'm slow. gently caress me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Athletic Footjob posted:

Sonos can't even do HDMI compatibility. gently caress Sonos.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

xzzy posted:

That's literally not something I care about but I still desperately wish all of my screens to have that functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/871859793442373632

Holy poo poo I can finally toggle cellular from control panel without having to do airplane mode and killing Bluetooth. There's one part of my commute when I come up from the subway where my phone gets stuck in 4G and doesn't kick over to LTE for about 15 minutes unless I toggle cellular.

I'm in the exact same boat, this is great.