Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

WW going over the top on No Man's Land and storming that occupied village are the best things the DCEU has offered, easily supplanting the first part of BvS.

Hell I'd say that everything involve Charlie's character outshines every single moment and character in every other DCCU film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I really liked how much Diana underestimated her power the whole time. They steadily bring it out: When she Fus Ro Dahs the other amazons by accident, when she climbs the tower by punching herself handholds, and throws an armored car into a building.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

xeria posted:

Land it where? One of the characters says (I think) that the gas is on a timer to be released no matter what/where, and he doesn't have a lot of tech options available to him (and no especially tech-y members of his squad) in the early 1900s to stop that short of taking it somewhere it won't harm anyone but himself and detonating it. And Diana was too busy dealing with Ares at the moment to consider whether or not she might be able to also handle the plane/gas herself (and too shaken/temporarily deaf to stop Steve in the first place).

Land it back at the airfield it just took off from. Blow it up on the ground like they blew up the warehouse stocked full of the gas.

The suicide didn't really make much sense.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Putting aside whether it is or not (it's not), suffering through goons rehashing the same arguments about it and gushing over it in every thread is well past its use by date.

I liked WW quite a bit. It has a weak third act but the first two acts are phenomenal. WW going over the top on No Man's Land and storming that occupied village are the best things the DCEU has offered, easily supplanting the first part of BvS.

Paragraph one: complaining about people talking about another WB/DC film. Paragraph two: primarily talking about Wonder Woman as it relates to other WB/DC films.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Deadulus posted:

Land it back at the airfield it just took off from. Blow it up on the ground like they blew up the warehouse stocked full of the gas.

I believe Diana stated she didn't want to explode and kill all the people there. Burning it up in the sky was presented as the best available option.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

I believe Diana stated she didn't want to explode and kill all the people there. Burning it up in the sky was presented as the best available option.

But didn't they do that anyways when the blew up the warehouse full of it? I thought that was what the rest of the guys were doing while Diana fought Ares and Steve was going after the plane.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deadulus posted:

There isn't any gas in the warehouse, they used all of it to load the plane. Because at that point they're aware that the armistice is coming and a mere atrocity on the Western Front might not keep the war going, so they escalate to attacking London.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Paragraph one: complaining about people talking about another WB/DC film. Paragraph two: primarily talking about Wonder Woman as it relates to other WB/DC films.

Wow you got me that was totally like a 10,000 word serious post about how deep and Frasier-like Man of Steel was

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Wow you got me that was totally like a 10,000 word serious post about how deep and Frasier-like Man of Steel was

Those don't actually exist, unlike what he was quoting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Those don't actually exist, unlike what he was quoting.

Let's be fair here, if you compile all the goon posts on Man of Steel talking about all the themes, symbolism, imagery and all that good stuff, it'd probably amount to that. Not as much as poo poo people make up they say happened in the film, but a sizable amount.

I saw the film this morning and I quite enjoyed it. I do agree with the criticisms of the last act being pretty weak. I'll probably post something a bit more in-depth than this as I work out what I liked and what I didn't like. But it's definitely a solid film. I think it kind of wasted the setting a bit but in execution I think it got the point across. The second act did definitely feel like it was more about women's suffrage than the war, since it focuses on how little all the men think of Diane, her presence and how Steve basically kept on telling her what she could and couldn't do until she decided to show them all what exactly she (women) could do, which I thought was loving incredible.

I put it just behind Man of Steel in terms of ranking the DC films so far. As much as I loved Batman v Superman (and it I find the Ultimate Cut so very good), it definitely was a weaker film because of how stuffed it was.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Putting aside whether it is or not (it's not), suffering through goons rehashing the same arguments about it and gushing over it in every thread is well past its use by date.

I liked WW quite a bit. It has a weak third act but the first two acts are phenomenal. WW going over the top on No Man's Land and storming that occupied village are the best things the DCEU has offered, easily supplanting the first part of BvS.

Really though the only reason many of us rehash arguments about MoS and BvS being good is because idiots who complain about them have less a grasp on reality than an average Fox and Friends debate. Then they compare them to other movies in the same genre, only the comparisons are about things that never happened in the films. Or they just constantly say "but my superman would never! . . . !!!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jimbot posted:

Let's be fair here, if you compile all the goon posts on Man of Steel talking about all the themes, symbolism, imagery and all that good stuff, it'd probably amount to that.

I agree, but that's over a 4 year period. In the same timeframe, GBS has written the same amount of words about sardines.

There's this really stupid idea where actually taking time to discuss things in-depth on this discussion forum is something to be sneered out. Well I've got great news - Blockbuster Video has been created and you can throw out pithy three-line posts about cinema to your heart's content. And if you think I'm criticizing that style of discussion about movies (or even sardines) - I'm not. Please enjoy.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

You're absolutely right, the movie actually is darker because superman breaks a chunk off a mountain :jerkbag:

Maybe Tony Stark had his robot butler buy the mountain off screen just before Supes wrecked it. That would make things better

Superman is a fascist with a distaste for accountability who is simultaneously positioned as the hero. So, yeah.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I simultaneously liked and disliked the ending part with her jumping off a rooftop while voice over wrapped things up for us.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MacheteZombie posted:

I simultaneously liked and disliked the ending part with her jumping off a rooftop while voice over wrapped things up for us.

She wouldn't be a super hero if she didn't have a monologue on a roof.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I agree, but that's over a 4 year period. In the same timeframe, GBS has written the same amount of words about sardines.

There's this really stupid idea where actually taking time to discuss things in-depth on this discussion forum is something to be sneered out. Well I've got great news - Blockbuster Video has been created and you can throw out pithy three-line posts about cinema to your heart's content. And if you think I'm criticizing that style of discussion about movies (or even sardines) - I'm not. Please enjoy.

I regularly forget that subforum exists now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm not entirely certain if Wonder Woman can fly or if she just has really huge floaty Hulk Jumps. Because Ares could, and she's obviously on par with him in the end.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DC Murderverse posted:

I don't think he's sympathetic because of the former, but being created to be a military general specifically does probably gently caress with your head. Richard Spencer doesn't have a genetic excuse for being an rear end in a top hat.

Again, I'm sure we get very little of this in the Krypton series, which will probably be really lame between being on Syfy and being written by David Goyer.

I'm hoping whoever else is involved with this show at Syfy brings whatever god-tier level game they brought to The Expanse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Panfilo posted:

I'm not entirely certain if Wonder Woman can fly or if she just has really huge floaty Hulk Jumps. Because Ares could, and she's obviously on par with him in the end.

She probably can. She levitates at the end of the film

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I regularly forget that subforum exists now.

So did 99% of SA

Panfilo posted:

I kinda dig how her super power set wasn't fully defined. She can just do it all when need be and that's fine with me.

Tenzarin posted:

She wouldn't be a super hero if she didn't have a monologue on a roof.

Agreed

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 5, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm at the point where I wish they would end them in a different way.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The thing I'm really going to miss in the debate over this film is people saying it was good or bad depending on how much merchandise is in their local department store. That was definitely one of the absolute weirdest features of arguing about movies online over the past couple years, but I don't think it will be part of this particular slapfight.

I will miss the long discussions about how many people were killed by the superhero. Wonder Woman kills many people in this movie, and the critics have spoken--they never actually cared about such things.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Toady posted:

I will miss the long discussions about how many people were killed by the superhero. Wonder Woman kills many people in this movie, and the critics have spoken--they never actually cared about such things.

Uh her sword is magic and sent those German soldiers to another dimension, and the same with the explosions. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm at the point where I wish they would end them in a different way.

*record scratch, freeze frame*
". . .You might be wondering how I ended up this way"

Wonder Woman will return

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

No Man Land's scene almost wasn't part of the movie.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-womans-most-fantastic-scene-nearly-didnt-get-mad-1795811939

DC still gotta DC, yo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

No Man Land's scene almost wasn't part of the movie.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-womans-most-fantastic-scene-nearly-didnt-get-mad-1795811939

DC still gotta DC, yo.

Dammit! Zack Snyder almost ruined another film!!!!!!!!!

A shame those clowns who were fighting that scene will still have jobs after all this critical and financial success.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

DC still gotta DC, yo.

I mean, this isn't just a "DC" thing. Marvel pushed Edgar Wright out over similar issues of control, and Jenkins herself had been dropped from Thor 2 -- turns out they were wrong and she was the significantly better choice to direct a mythology based super hero.

That being said the people who wanted it gone in the first place are morons and hopefully lose some influence. It's just ironic to say "DC is so stupid that almost* took creative control from a director who Marvel poo poo all over".

*but ultimately didn't

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Toady posted:

The canon purists won't complain about that because she's always been presented as the killer among DC's trinity.

"My Superman/Batman" wouldn't blah blah blah

"My Wonder Woman" would.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, this isn't just a "DC" thing. Marvel pushed Edgar Wright out over similar issues of control, and Jenkins herself had been dropped from Thor 2 -- turns out they were wrong and she was the significantly better choice to direct a mythology based super hero.

That being said the people who wanted it gone in the first place are morons and hopefully lose some influence. It's just ironic to say "DC is so stupid that almost* took creative control from a director who Marvel poo poo all over".

*but ultimately didn't

I think Ant-Man was still very much an Edgar Wright film. Admittedly it could be because it was so far along and practically right before shooting maybe they didn't have a choice. And yeah Jenkins may have been a good fit for Thor 2...but at least it meant we got less Portman? I like Portman as an actor but she's just kind of there in both Thor films.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wonder Woman has such a catchy theme. It also really works well with the fact that Diana is so eager to help people and it plays the soft string version.

I'm looking forward to a montage of Worldstar type videos where a woman goes apeshit on some rear end in a top hat with the Wonder Woman theme in the background.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

The canon purists won't complain about that because she's always been presented as the killer among DC's trinity.

"My Superman/Batman" wouldn't blah blah blah

"My Wonder Woman" would.

It's very interesting that Wonder Woman slashing soldiers and chucking them out the window is accepted as heroic, even as she believes they are innocent men under the influence of Ares, while Batman defending himself in his batplane isn't. The society Diana comes from is a bunch of 300-style killers. Diana and Leonidas both leave their fretting mothers to become gods of war. But it's okay because Diana wants to help people...by killing a bunch of other people so she can kill Ares and replace him. The rationalization is the same used by the Spartans, that military violence is an expression of love and justice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also it's world war loving one trench warfare of course she can kill people.

Stick Batman on the front lines in WW2 and I'd be fine with him killing too. Context.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Also it's world war loving one trench warfare of course she can kill people.

Stick Batman on the front lines in WW2 and I'd be fine with him killing too. Context.

This is, of course, nonsense.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Toady posted:

It's very interesting that Wonder Woman slashing soldiers and chucking them out the window is accepted as heroic, even as she believes they are innocent men under the influence of Ares, while Batman defending himself in his batplane isn't. The society Diana comes from is a bunch of 300-style killers. Diana and Leonidas both leave their fretting mothers to become gods of war. But it's okay because Diana wants to help people...by killing a bunch of other people so she can kill Ares and replace him. The rationalization is the same used by the Spartans, that military violence is an expression of love and justice.

As a Greek Demigod, Diana is a Hero in the original Homeric sense. The moral system of the time is vastly different than ours.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Charlz Guybon posted:

As a Greek Demigod, Diana is a Hero in the original Homeric sense. The moral system of the time is vastly different than ours.

This doesn't make any sense.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

This doesn't make any sense.

Read some epic poetry. They're all superpowered jerks and they're celebrated by their society for being so.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah Diana's a hero in the mythical sense that she's capable of killing tons of dudes and has the wherewithal to smoke out and kill the biggest baddest dude. But oh poo poo...that actually isn't heroic because there is no one single dude that makes all the evil in the world, so she peaces out.

Toady posted:

This is, of course, nonsense.

It's also canon. :D

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Unfortunately the audience does not consist of Greeks who share this moral framework. If it was there would be no tears for Snyder's DC Murderverse.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Charlz Guybon posted:

Read some epic poetry. They're all superpowered jerks.

So why is it acceptable for a character who is explicitly not from that literary tradition to emulate it? Because she's (hypothetically) of the same ethnicity as the people who wrote that literary tradition? This argument applies equally well to Superman or Batman or Spider-man or Howard the Duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

So why is it acceptable for a character who is explicitly not from that literary tradition to emulate it? Because she's (hypothetically) of the same ethnicity as the people who wrote that literary tradition? This argument applies equally well to Superman or Batman or Spider-man or Howard the Duck.

Weird it's almost like superheroes are stand-ins for something.

• Locked thread