Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
new shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Seeing them 10 minutes apart and not together and them both having the same "skeevy rear end in a top hat" vibe

Yeah I'm not having this be some "lol goons" thing, it was a legit mistake, try someone else

to be fair not only did they look nothing alike but they carried themselves in completely opposite ways

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

I thought the guy in the booth (Robert Horne, really? As in Audrey's son probably maybe?) was kinda channeling Frank Booth a bit. And I did not intend that pun, but maybe someone did? Though it came off less creepy and more downright brutal, but that's creepy in its own right. Especially at the roadhouse where most Twin Peaks fans watching regard as a more or less "safe" place. Was a bit of a fakeout really with the way Lynch ended the last 3 episodes!

I remember David Lynch specifically mentioning that he wasn't going to bother writing or editing for a TV format. He left it up to Showtime how and when they wanted to end each episode.

quote:

It's funny because my favorite fantasy series growing up (which I regularly re-read) is Ursula K. L Guin's Wizard of Earthsea series. There are 5 novels and a collection of stories in the series, but the first one is the one most have read or remember clearly. It's a fairly archetypal story of a young man who is a talented, but jealous and arrogant student of wizardry/magic (this was decades before Harry Potter and a very different kind of story), He winds up performing a very powerful spell that he cannot control, and in doing so sets loose a sort of metaphysical shadow of himself - the shadow is everything negative about the protagonist made manifest, and it pursues him ceaselessly in an attempt to take over his body and use it for extremely evil purposes. Sound familiar?

The book is very much influenced by Taoism and the ideas and philosophies of eastern religions, so I hope I'm not spoiling things when I say that the first book ends with him learning to understand and accept the shadow as a part of himself, understood and accepted and simultaneously mastered and surrendered to. In a way, I wouldn't be *totally* shocked if something similar happens here. That he will not be "Special Agent Dale Cooper" as we knew and loved him again until all the different parts of him floating around - good and bad - are brought together in some way.

While I could imagine something similar happening, I really hope Cooper isn't just a vegetable for the next five to ten episodes. The show itself has started getting impatient with him. Even Naomi Watts shouted at Dougie until he got out of her car.

Earthsea is a great series, though. I particularly love the second book with it's useless protagonist getting stuck in a dark maze. Kind of like Cooper, actually. It's a real shame that there hasn't been a single good adaptation of them. Even Miyazaki left Earthsea for his son to screw up. :sigh:

And More fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 5, 2017

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Seeing them 10 minutes apart and not together and them both having the same "skeevy rear end in a top hat" vibe

Yeah I'm not having this be some "lol goons" thing, it was a legit mistake, try someone else

lmao stop watching this show you idiot

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cromulent posted:

I was definitely spoiled by watching the first four in one chunk, because I felt like not enough happened last night.

I actually prefer having more time to unpack and speculate on whatever the gently caress is happening in a single episode for a week instead of just being baffled completely by a group of episodes.

I don't understand how somebody could binge watch this show and pick up on everything but everybody watches in different ways I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

lmao stop watching this show you idiot

lol goons

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm very fascinated by Mr. C as he appears to be the cooper doppelganger but is also inhabited by Bob. Unless I'm mistaken we've only see Bob inhabit Leland, Cooper's doppelganger at the end of the series, and just a tiny bit of near possession of Laura in FWWM. As a result this is the longest we've seen Bob inhabit anyone that wasn't Leland and seeing the differences is very striking. Mr. C is calm, cold, in control, and seems to be planning toward something beyond mere self preservation.

It seems like Mr. C carries with him Dale's intelligence while harboring the horrible otherworldly demonic force that is Bob, making him basically a super criminal. Mr. C appears to be up to some plan in our earthly realm that doesn't necessarily include merely collecting garmonbozia and feeding the other inhabitants of the black lodge (Given the extensive vomiting scene it would appear Mr. C has been keeping all that garmonbozia for himself). In the original show and FWWM Bob appeared to fulfill a role for the black lodge in that he's allowed to roam free every now and again to generate garmonbozia through pain/suffering but is pulled back to feed the rest of the black lodge team to distribute the substance. It's not a stretch to consider that Bob has always resented this arrangement and possibly hates the other members of the black lodge if nothing else out of instinct.

Mr. C clearly knows the black lodge is on his tail and wants him him back in (possibly through intel from Jeffries?) but what has he been up to for 26 years? I don't think that all his machinations were purely to keep himself from getting sent back to the black lodge and is he still on earth to do something he wants to accomplish. I'm very interested in watching to find out what that is.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

I actually prefer having more time to unpack and speculate on whatever the gently caress is happening in a single episode for a week instead of just being baffled completely by a group of episodes.

I don't understand how somebody could binge watch this show and pick up on everything but everybody watches in different ways I guess.

Yeah. I really like having something to look forward to for a week rather than having something to binge, and no matter how good it is, move on from in a couple of days.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Steven seems more like a new Bobby than a creep like Richie.

I like how they only confirmed that Briggs' prints have been identified in 16 different places, which opens up a lot of possibilities for whats going on with his corpse.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

InfiniteZero posted:

Personally, I like to just watch stuff and see what sticks, at least the first time around. Getting super analytical right off the bat tends to take me out of the experience. :shrug:

Also, this is a lot easier to watch than Inland Empire or FWWM, so binging it is fun rather than anxiety inducing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

He's also the younger brother from Get Out.
He seems to be playing almost exactly the same character and for a little bit I imagined that Get Out was in the same universe.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I thought of this when Coop's shoes come off when he goes through the outlet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

He seems to be playing almost exactly the same character and for a little bit I imagined that Get Out was in the same universe.

He's a perfect example of why you should never let anyone say you're not handsome enough to be in pictures. :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He's a perfect example of why you should never let anyone say you're not handsome enough to be in pictures. :colbert:

You mean this guy?

I mean, I guess he's more pretty than he's handsome?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It seems like demons feeding on fear would be rather bloated after almost 20 years of the "War on Terror", to what degree is the world Twin Peaks is placed in following that path? Rather than expecting any blatant connection, if whatever Mr. C has been doing for twenty five years involved generating fear, to what degree is the world of Twin Peaks altered similarly to ours?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
okay I was making a gif of ep 2 and saw this and ep 5 makes more sense now

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

And More posted:

You mean this guy?

I mean, I guess he's more pretty than he's handsome?

I understand Dougie's purpose, but why did BOB also need to create a Conan O'Brien homunculus?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

Steven seems more like a new Bobby than a creep like Richie.

I like how they only confirmed that Briggs' prints have been identified in 16 different places, which opens up a lot of possibilities for whats going on with his corpse.

I think Dougie's ring on Briggs' body will lead the FBI to Dougie-Cooper. The military lady is flying out to SD to investigate and if there's something, they have to notify the FBI. So she's going to find Briggs' body, inexplicably, and Dougie's wedding band was on his finger. They report that to the FBI who tracks down Dougie-Cooper.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
Was it a wedding band?

Like, maybe I'm misremembering but I thought it looked like a moderately sized hoop earring

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lanz posted:

Was it a wedding band?

Like, maybe I'm misremembering but I thought it looked like a moderately sized hoop earring

I just rewatched the coroner scene they don't say it's a wedding band but it sure looks like it. You're right, the proportions seem weird but when the cop takes it from her it looks perfectly normal size relative to his fingers.

She finds it in Briggs' stomach and it's inscribed "to Dougie from Jamie E."

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I really like that Mr. C can't pass for a normal human even when he really needs to, like his stilted attempt at a conversation with Cole. It's immediately apparent that something is wrong about him and he's very off-putting.

Likewise anytime BOB was in full control of Leland there's just constant screaming/laughing/crying and he's never really attempting to not make it very obvious that he's a terrifying demon-man. There's just nothing normal about the Black Lodge folks at all even when they are trying to walk around in human society.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So wait I'm confused, do we know Briggs definitively died 25 years ago? We know that he went to his listening station and a fire was started there in which he was supposedly killed. The fire might've been started to cover up his abduction by Doppleganger Cooper and Jeffries or someone else, or it might've been started by Briggs himself to fake his own death and flee from them in order keep his wife and Bobby out of danger. He could've wound up in the Black Lodge or somewhere similar himself for a period of time. Remember, Cooper saw his face in the void whispering, "Blue rose!".

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This whole "3rd Cooper named Dougie" while there was already a character named Dougie Milford who was highly connected to Maj. Briggs and takes up almost half of the Secret History of Twin Peaks book makes me wonder if we'll get some explanation about the reason behind the name. Combine that with the fact that he died on his wedding night while wearing a gold ring with a green gem on it...

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

JazzFlight posted:

This whole "3rd Cooper named Dougie" while there was already a character named Dougie Milford who was highly connected to Maj. Briggs and takes up almost half of the Secret History of Twin Peaks book makes me wonder if we'll get some explanation about the reason behind the name. Combine that with the fact that he died on his wedding night while wearing a gold ring with a green gem on it...

Maybe because there was a BOB and Bobby, MIKE and Mike.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Confounding Factor posted:

So wait I'm confused, do we know Briggs definitively died 25 years ago? We know that he went to his listening station and a fire was started there in which he was supposedly killed. The fire might've been started to cover up his abduction by Doppleganger Cooper and Jeffries or someone else, or it might've been started by Briggs himself to fake his own death and flee from them in order keep his wife and Bobby out of danger. He could've wound up in the Black Lodge or somewhere similar himself for a period of time. Remember, Cooper saw his face in the void whispering, "Blue rose!".
All that was said is that he's dead and there was a fire at the station, and Cooper was the last one to see him alive. But it's not like they would mention autopsy reports and whereabouts of the body in casual exposition conversation 25 years later. I think all of the things you listed are possible. It's also possible he did die for real in 1991 and his body was taken to the lodge, where time doesn't work the same, hence why it wouldn't be decomposed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The Lodge is also really into making doppelgangers, so the headless body could be a doppel-Briggs, who knows.

Seems to me there's a lot going on with rings the last couple episodes. Dougie is wearing the Black Lodge green and gold ring, he gets sucked into the Lodge and then deflates into a gold ball (which is about a ring's worth of gold). It seems like Dougie was somehow created by BOB-Cooper to trick the Lodge into not sucking him back in. Then you've got Dougie's engraved wedding ring in Briggs' corpse and the FBI lady noticing different fingerprints for BOB-Cooper's ring finger.

Anyway it could mean anything but I suspect the military lady dispatched to SD will report Briggs' body to the FBI and then the wedding ring will eventually lead them to Dougie-Cooper.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

The Lodge is also really into making doppelgangers, so the headless body could be a doppel-Briggs, who knows.

Seems to me there's a lot going on with rings the last couple episodes. Dougie is wearing the Black Lodge green and gold ring, he gets sucked into the Lodge and then deflates into a gold ball (which is about a ring's worth of gold). It seems like Dougie was somehow created by BOB-Cooper to trick the Lodge into not sucking him back in. Then you've got Dougie's engraved wedding ring in Briggs' corpse and the FBI lady noticing different fingerprints for BOB-Cooper's ring finger.

Anyway it could mean anything but I suspect the military lady dispatched to SD will report Briggs' body to the FBI and then the wedding ring will eventually lead them to Dougie-Cooper.

meanwhile, the Great Northern Key could potentially lead Hawk down to Vegas as well.

Come Ooooooon Hawk/Albert/Preston/Air Force Officer Whose Name I Don't Know and is Working For Ernie Hudson/Cole team up

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Pellisworth posted:

Either there was a dopplebriggs leaving prints in 16 different places, or they have found16 copies of Briggs' body

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Watching Ep 5 for the second time to find things I missed. I think my favorite little moment is when Dougie can't find the hole in the coffee cup at first, and rotates it until he gets at the delicious nectar.

I also got caught up on American Gods last night after watching Ep 5 and it is messing with my head. What if Gillian Anderson is going to have a surprise role as Phillip Jeffries?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Either there was a dopplebriggs leaving prints in 16 different places, or they have found16 copies of Briggs' body

I assume the way the pentagon guy was talking that the other bodies were all false hits, whatever that means to them. So maybe they are doppelgangers but have a different blood type or teeth or something else they use to verify his identity.

It didn't seem like they were talking about prints LEFT at crime scenes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That moment with the coffee cup hole really was the best.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
This. loving. Show.

e: God drat, Madchen Amick still looks fantastic.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 6, 2017

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I had zero reason to doubt this, but I'm still just kind of amazed at how engrossing and great the new series is.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Eesh, maybe all the Briggs corpses are failed doppelganger attempts. Bad Coop was just practicing doppeling until he learned how to Dougie.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chinook posted:

Eesh, maybe all the Briggs corpses are failed doppelganger attempts. Bad Coop was just practicing doppeling until he learned how to Dougie.
He's obviously not a fan of Kate Upton

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Chinook posted:

:golfclap:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I've been trying to figure out the whole Dougie/Briggs/ring things, because while it seems like an obvious setup for Dougie created by BadCoop, there's stuff that I can't really make sense of.

It seems obvious that BadCoop set it all up (he was in the area at the time it happened and is probably the only person we might suspect having access to Briggs' body.) But at first it looks like it is to put the suspicion on Bill Hastings, who BadCoop seems to need some info from. But if he planted Briggs' body with Dougie's ring inside his stomach, that would seem to exonerate Bill Hastings. Why plant evidence for two different and (as far as we know) unrealted culprits. Maybe two-birds-one-stone?

But also, why use Briggs' body. That is certainly going to alert the military, which is going to put a lot of heat on the case. Which maybe makes sense if BadCoop wants to create a manhunt to find Dougie in case he escapes the assassins (who are obviously part of his plan since their boss sends a message to the device in Argentina), but that seems likely to be dangerous for BadCoop as well since he looks identical (and honestly more identical than Cooper, since Dougie had long hair more similar to BadCoops.)

Completely unrelated(?), I wonder what makes DougieCoop cry seeing Sonny Jim in the car? Certainly hard to tell at this point what is going through DougieCoop's mind (except coffee), but it doesn't seem like he's got any of Dougie's old memories (which would make sense if they are separate bodies and beings, which seems likely based on the manner of their exchange.)

Edit: I must be completely dense and probably missed many people mentioning this, but in the original two seasons, the original mystery of Laura Palmer's murder is concluded after 18 episodes.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 6, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If Cooper is slowly coming to his senses, and it seems to be the case that he is, it stands to reason that he feels for the kid. Sonny obviously has some affection for Dougie, and Dougie is gone. Cooper is not like Norma and Ed, he wont stay in a relationship just to avoid hurting peoples feelings.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just thought Cooper was sad because he realized he was as braindead as his kid

Like that kid was just staring forward with his mouth open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

moist turtleneck posted:

I just thought Cooper was sad because he realized he was as braindead as his kid

Like that kid was just staring forward with his mouth open

His mouth was closed.