Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I thought that was Reagan, and it was about delaying hostage release so he could take credit. Don't think it's proven though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Surprise_conspiracy_theory

Nixon [allegedly] torpedoed peace talks with the Vietnamese by promising a better deal if he won the election in '68

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Well, Lincoln

Guess there's going to be a Trump statue then.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Night10194 posted:

Didn't Nixon also torpedo peace talks?

Yeah, but secretly. Nixon was actually devious, Trump is just dumb as all gently caress.

Put Nixon in Trump's shoes and he has 60% approval ratings right now, and the FBI and CIA secretly cracking down on everyone to the left of himself instead of... well, himself, basically.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ShredsYouSay posted:

Did some people get shot in Orlando?
Five people were killed about 15 mins from my house at a place that makes awnings because the shooter was a disgruntled ex-employee. He also killed himself.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

MacheteZombie posted:

are there really no sellout musicians to approach for this gig?

I mean the song had turned into a Dodge Pickup Trucks selling device before it got taken off the air, so there is probably no better sellout musician for it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There are decent arguments to be made that the IRA was not a terrorist group strictly speaking.
No there aren't. They killed literally hundreds of civilians.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

I figured that any reputable e-discovery firm would have to be solid on crap like that. I'm reasonably certain my laptop would have self-destructed if I tried to put a thumb drive in it.

This was about 10 years ago and was all internal stuff.

Times started changing when hacks became nightly news.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Dear Mr. President,

I volunteer to be ambassador to Costa Rica. I will also accept Dominican Republic, Switzerland, Luxembourg, or Australia.

Thank you, and GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Fitz

Start saving your pennies. Ambassadors in the posh, easy postings are frequently expected to spend well in excess of their budget on entertaining from personal funds.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Start saving your pennies. Ambassadors in the posh, easy postings are frequently expected to spend well in excess of their budget on entertaining from personal funds.
On the other hand, what expectations?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, 90% of the unfilled nominations are all-work, no-glory positions that mostly require competence and experience, and no one who values their long term government careers wants to be associated with this White House. Wingnut Welfare only works if you're in a media-friendly position before you fall on your sword.

Even those no-glory positions are quite the payday. Being able to say "Well let's go over this with former Assistant Undersecretary of X" to wow a client is really valuable for lobbying firms, and corporations also like to keep those sorts of people around as advisors for the same reason. There are plenty of people that would be willing to take the positions.

Normal presidents would chose people to fill the important slots themselves (and use the really unimportant ones to give out cushy jobs to donors) and then delegate the rest by telling their chosen agency heads to get a good slate of candidates together. Trump doesn't want to put in the work to understand what each position does and doesn't delegate hiring decisions for fear for not getting someone sufficiently loyal, so here we are.

Its funny, he first came up with the excuse that he wasn't nominating people to those positions because the positions weren't needed. I guess he thought that made him look smart and business savvy, but of course he can't keep his story straight for more than ten seconds at a time so now we have another completely contradictory excuse for the positions not being filled.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Chard posted:

On the other hand, what expectations?

Hm... yeah and actually in this administration you could probably just lay low and be like that one goon that kept getting paid to not do a job.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

... Trump doesn't want to put in the work to understand what each position does and doesn't delegate hiring decisions for fear for not getting someone sufficiently loyal, so here we are.

Haha oh man I'd never considered this aspect of the unfilled nominations.

This loving guy

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/871836350709891073

I'm very shallow so my first thought about this was "I can't believe this woman's first name is Reality"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FourLeaf posted:

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/871836350709891073

I'm very shallow so my first thought about this was "I can't believe this woman's first name is Reality"

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/871835957481394176

B B
Dec 1, 2005

For anyone engaging in online discussions related to terrorism, here's some pretty comprehensive research into who has committed terrorist acts in the U.S. since 9/11:

https://www.newamerica.org/in-depth/terrorism-in-america/

This chart is particularly handy:

Mainly posting this because my idiot brother started spouting off after the London attack about keeping refugees out of the country, and the chart above shut him up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the intercept appears to have shared the ORIGINAL COPY OF THE DOCUMENT THEY RECEIVED with the NSA when asking for comment which is how the NSA figured out who leaked it

what loving morons

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/871842516458496001

if you're going to leak stuff apparently the intercept should not be on your list

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

evilweasel posted:

if you're going to leak stuff apparently the intercept should not be on your list

Also like send email about that kind of stuff from personal throwaway email account, on a personal device, from starbucks Wifi, over VPN. Not at work jeez.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 5, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Our government, yet again prosecuting the person reporting the crime and ignoring the crime

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I mean, I seriously think the Intercept was just covering their own rear end, they can't be that loving dumb.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you're going to leak something just leak it into the nether and wait for every news outlet to jump on it. Don't go specific.

I think that would work?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Mike Catanzaro, a solar panel installer with a high school diploma, likes to work with his hands under the clear Carolina sky. That’s why he supported President Trump, a defender of blue-collar workers. But the 25-year-old sees Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris climate agreement as a threat to his job.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.6c53fde60fa8

How do these people remember how to breath? :psyduck:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

B B posted:

For anyone engaging in online discussions related to terrorism, here's some pretty comprehensive research into who has committed terrorist acts in the U.S. since 9/11:

https://www.newamerica.org/in-depth/terrorism-in-america/

This chart is particularly handy:

Mainly posting this because my idiot brother started spouting off after the London attack about keeping refugees out of the country, and the chart above shut him up.

It's the same in Europe, vast majority are homegrown violent criminals eager to take their revenge on society for 'wronging' them with a flimsy religious justification.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you're going to leak something just leak it into the nether and wait for every news outlet to jump on it. Don't go specific.

I think that would work?

Leak it from an anonymized email address so the reporters you're leaking to don't know who you are. How loving hard is a blind drop? WaPo has one.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they are going to pin this all on a lone staffer, I mean everything and that will be their answer to everything.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Leak it from an anonymized email address so the reporters you're leaking to don't know who you are. How loving hard is a blind drop? WaPo has one.

Speaking of the Wapo thing, if leaking classified info is a crime, wouldn't it also be a crime for an outlet like the Wapo to announce that they have a system to allow for that very thing?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, and I thought the Intercept had one as well but jesus christ

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Lindsey Graham seems unconvinced that the Senate will be passing a health care bill this year:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/871846772624285696

If they don't get it done this year, it's probably not happening after after midterms, right? I feel like it'd be incredibly hard to get something like this passed during election season, which will be in full force by the new year.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Trump basically supported every position on earth at some point becuase he just played to the crowd everytime. Since he never had (and still doesn't) have any kind of guiding policy, idiots just saw he said a thing they liked once, and assumed that was the real position and ignored everything else. Its like that lady who married an illegal immigrant and then was shocked when Trump deported him.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The Intercept is Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill's outfit. The latter of which I had enormous respect for. I hope he resigns in protest over this incompetence. :(

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So much for Gorsuch

https://twitter.com/FRCdc/status/871815847068786688

First Liberty posted:

Because the Supreme Court did not decide to review the case, the travesty below by the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces will now stand,” said Kelly Shackelford, President, CEO & Chief Counsel for First Liberty. “The military court’s outrageous decision means federal judges and military officials can strip our service members of their constitutional rights just because they don’t think someone’s religious beliefs are important enough to be protected. Our service members deserve better.”

Freedom Research Counsel posted:

The Supreme Court’s refusal to hear this case has the unfortunate effect of allowing a chill on religious expression in the military to continue, and only underscores the need for the Trump administration to root out the anti-religious animus allowed to fester in the military during the Obama administration. Defense Secretary Mattis must consider the many complex ramifications of anti-religious Obama-era policies that remain in effect.

The DOD and Congress need to ensure the priorities of the U.S. armed forces remain those that the Secretary has outlined: mission readiness, command proficiency, and combat effectiveness – not squelching religion – which is actually quite necessary to readiness and effectiveness. Holdover personnel from the Obama administration need to focus on these priorities, and not on the last administration’s social engineering projects that ignore military readiness.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

evilweasel posted:

Or at least don't correspond with who you're leaking to on your goddamned work computer.

Also I still can't over her name being Reality Winner.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Glumslinger posted:

Trump basically supported every position on earth at some point becuase he just played to the crowd everytime. Since he never had (and still doesn't) have any kind of guiding policy, idiots just saw he said a thing they liked once, and assumed that was the real position and ignored everything else. Its like that lady who married an illegal immigrant and then was shocked when Trump deported him.

To be fair, it would have been a pretty great strategy for him if he hadn't won. He probably could have made a fortune off of his idiot supporters without anyone expecting him to actually make good on his promises.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ballz posted:

Or at least don't correspond with who you're leaking to on your goddamned work computer.

Also I still can't over her name being Reality Winner.

it is definitely ironic now

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So much for Gorsuch

I know nothing about this case. Is it a good thing for the atheist anti-religious activist, or bad? It sounds good because the FRC are freaking out over it and saying it's a continuation of OBAMA'S ANTI-RELIGION INTOLERANCE IN THE MILITARY.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

:cheers:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

the intercept appears to have shared the ORIGINAL COPY OF THE DOCUMENT THEY RECEIVED with the NSA when asking for comment which is how the NSA figured out who leaked it

what loving morons

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/871842516458496001

Also don't e-mail the people you're leaking top secret documents to from your work computer.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

I know nothing about this case. Is it a good thing for the atheist anti-religious activist, or bad? It sounds good because the FRC are freaking out over it and saying it's a continuation of OBAMA'S ANTI-RELIGION INTOLERANCE IN THE MILITARY.

They claimed it was about bible verses...it was not

quote:

The charges against Sterling resulted from several separate, unrelated incidents over the course of five months. These incidents included failing to go to her appointed place of duty, disrespecting a commissioned officer, and disobeying direct orders from her superiors to wear the proper uniform. These incidents had nothing to do with religion or religious freedom.

The most serious of the charges that Sterling was found guilty of were her failing to go to her appointed place of duty, and her disrespecting of a commissioned officer in relation to that incident. Sterling was assigned the duty of giving out passes to family members visiting Marines who had just returned from a deployment.

This duty was to be for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. Sterling claimed that she couldn’t perform this duty because she was on medication for migraines that made her drowsy, but, as the court-martial found, there was no reason that this medication would have interfered with Sterling performing this duty if she took it at night as prescribed.

But, as Sterling admitted, she was not planning to take her medication as prescribed on that Sunday. She was planning to take it earlier. Her reason? She was going to church and the loud choir at the church service might bring on a migraine.

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They dared to say nice things about Shia Muslim groups in general and Iran in particular.

Sunni is not Shia. I am an idiot.

so did qatar say nice things like reaching out an olive branch to heal the shua sunni divide

or nice things like the mexico should invade usa analogy?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Hasn't a similar issue of religious liberty in the military been spelled out multiple times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol a 25 year old contractor who'd been there for 8 weeks could access this poo poo

lol just lol

• Locked thread