Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jesus, the only way I can see that turning out okay is one of them getting a sudden windfall of money and buying the other one out of the house as soon as reality sets in.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So what does Snapchat do that Instagram (which I also don't use) didn't already do?

I have friends who like it over Instagram since it's more geared towards small groups of people and the pictures are pretty temporary. I'm not going to spend a cent on it, but it's a pretty cool thing to have. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In another terrible personal BWM edition:

My youngest brother (26) went to art school and dropped out after a single semester in 2010. He wanted to become an "automotive photographer." He managed to accumulate 35k in student loans for this one semester.

Instead of paying back the roughly half of the student loan he wasn't using anymore after dropping out, he prepaid his rent for the rest of the year and bought a 2.5k Macbook because "you need one for art projects."

- He eventually sold the Macbook to help pay for a down-payment on a lease for a Crossfire.

- He got a job as a power-washer to pay off his student loans and dropped a metal hose nozzle onto his car from 30-stories up and had to turn in the car and pay damages on it.

- He has no car, so he decided that his new career was to be a "Vine Celebrity" and he bought a new 2k Macbook "for making vines."

- Vine shuts down about 3 months later.

- He sells the second Macbook to his friend for his non-running 1993 Tercel.

- He has not fixed it and decided to pay to have it fixed.

- It is going to cost about 4k and he doesn't want to pay that, so he decided to make money online again.

- He leased - yes, leased - a third Macbook to become a Youtube star. Apparently, Apple/Best Buy will lease you a Macbook.

- He just has his friends take him to car shows, he films them on his phone, and adds commentary like, "Wow, this is sweet. This is one of the nicest cars I have ever seen. The Bugatti is very expensive." Then uploads to Youtube.

- Why does he need a 3k Macbook for this? I do not know.

- He has been living with my parents, rent-free, for the last 7 years (after the aborted Art School attempt) and they want to retire and move to North Carolina soon. Without him.

- They recently demanded to know how much money he was actually making from his Youtube channel and apparently he has not even turned on the monetization option on Youtube because "I need to grow my fanbase and people skip videos with ads."

- He recently posted a meltdown on Facebook and tagged all the family in it. The post included such phrases as "When my dad told me that I needed to get a real job, he basically told me that he doesn’t feel what I’m doing is worthwhile and that I’m knowingly wasting my time every day." and "If I were to let their words get to me, I would be in a job that I hate right now and I would be miserable. But worst of all, I would be letting down my Youtube subscribers."

- He also mentioned that "Only failures and those who failed to dream have 9 to 5 jobs." and "My parents had to get 9 to 5 jobs, but each generation is supposed to do better than the last. I don't want to end up like them."

Needless to say, this has caused quite a bit of family drama. But all his friends on Facebook has gotten into the comments to post memes and actually argue with members of my family that they have a duty to support artists.

His Youtube channel had it's first year anniversary last month and he still has made $0.00 from it and plans to make that his sole income source.

Solice Kirsk posted:

How does someone jump through this sort of mental hoop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Amazing. How many subscribers does he have?

Edit: Also lol @ yelling at the people who paid this kid's way that they need to continue supporting him forever because of some ... duty to support artists? Holy poo poo.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I gotsta know how many subscribers he has...

edit: ^^nice^^

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Last I checked he has about 1,000 subscribers.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Last I checked he has about 1,000 subscribers.

Holy poo poo, he's leaving literally TENS OF DOLLARS per month on the table, he needs to turn on monetization STAT!

(I bet 90% of those are follow for follow too.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love how some people think they can just sit down in front of a computer and think real hard and will themselves into a "career" as a "celebrity" :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I really wanna slap him as hard as I can for the line "Only failures and those who failed to dream have 9 to 5 jobs."

gently caress you so much I know people who would murder for a stable 9 to 5 job

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I feel like we're in for a M. Night Shyamalan twist where Leon Trotsky has multiple split personalities and all these stories are actually him. He just happens to have one really successful personality to bankroll all the bad ones.

It's more believable than him actually knowing all these people.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

In another terrible personal BWM edition:

My youngest brother (26) went to art school and...

This is like reading the saga of the guy who traded his way from a red paperclip to a house, in reverse.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

My cousin is on the path to BWM and I don't know how to help him out of it. He's been living at home and looking for a job, but racked up about $8k on his credit card in the process (over the course of a few years). But the thing is, he has about $10k in savings that he has accrued over his life and he's terrified of losing it, so he won't use it to pay off his card. Instead he'll transfer the balance to new cards after the 0% grace period ends and pay 2-3% each time. It's like he's paying credit card companies for the illusion of keeping his savings. Every time I try to convince him to face his situation and start budgeting, he says he wants to wait until he gets a job. Frustrating!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

I feel like we're in for a M. Night Shyamalan twist where Leon Trotsky has multiple split personalities and all these stories are actually him. He just happens to have one really successful personality to bankroll all the bad ones.

Really its that he has the motivation to write stuff up and does so in an entertaining fashion. I have similar Facebook friends and family members but anything I wrote would be horrible cause I'm a bad poster.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Krispy Kareem posted:

Growing up poor + social media = many BWM stories.

Working with many people who are either raised their entire life in poverty, only have a high-school degree, or both + the first point = An endless supply of BWM stories.

My family is a weird mismatch of potential and I don't make nearly enough money to bankroll their failures.

My one brother is a heroin addict, the other is an idiot (or as he calls it a ~*DREAMER*~), and I got two Masters degrees and was a lobbyist in DC until I quit to take a low-paying, but extremely cushy job in a low COL area. 21 days of vacation, a pension, and time to shitpost on SA for an hour or two a day is worth more than the salary and "prestige" of working 7 to 7.

I have another friend who went to Harvard and dropped out because he started dating a former Jehova's Witness who got him into cocaine. It is almost impossible to get kicked out of Harvard and he just came back next year and finished. He has been living in New York for 4 years working on "the next big novel" and hasn't finished it yet. He was on The Lampoon and got a job offer from B.J. Novak before he went crazy.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 5, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FateFree posted:

My cousin is on the path to BWM and I don't know how to help him out of it. He's been living at home and looking for a job, but racked up about $8k on his credit card in the process (over the course of a few years). But the thing is, he has about $10k in savings that he has accrued over his life and he's terrified of losing it, so he won't use it to pay off his card. Instead he'll transfer the balance to new cards after the 0% grace period ends and pay 2-3% each time. It's like he's paying credit card companies for the illusion of keeping his savings. Every time I try to convince him to face his situation and start budgeting, he says he wants to wait until he gets a job. Frustrating!

Would it help to tell him that more and more jobs do credit checks now and his stupid credit juggling could keep him unemployed?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

"But worst of all, I would be letting down my Youtube subscribers."

That's a good thread title

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also I really wanna slap him as hard as I can for the line "Only failures and those who failed to dream have 9 to 5 jobs."

gently caress you so much I know people who would murder for a stable 9 to 5 job

Thanksgiving/Christmas have been loving painful for the last 5 or 6 years because all the aunts and uncles I never see any other time of the year only ever ask us:

1) If you're dating anyone
2) When are you getting married?
3) How is your job/job search?

And it always results in a meltdown with my brother trying to explain how people are "literal millionaires" on Vine (now Youtube/Twitch) and he doesn't need their luck because he ISN'T TRYING to get a 9 to 5.

To tie this into the oldman/snapchat derail, I didn't really know what Vine was until my brother was crying about it getting shut down and ruining his life.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Holy poo poo, he's leaving literally TENS OF DOLLARS per month on the table, he needs to turn on monetization STAT!

(I bet 90% of those are follow for follow too.)

Doesn't Youtube pay you based on how many people watch ads and what type of ads they watch? What is the advantage to "follow for follow" subscribers?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 5, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Doesn't Youtube pay you based on how many people watch ads and what type of ads they watch? What is the advantage to "follow for follow" subscribers?

You're correct, it's based on views. But a high-subscriber channel looks popular and encourages "real" followers, or so I've read.

(I'm no expert on this stuff though.)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Buying fake followers is ridiculously cheap and would probably make his dumb rear end really happy as a birthday gift.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Buying fake followers is ridiculously cheap and would probably make his dumb rear end really happy as a birthday gift.

That's as tragic as hiring a hooker to pretend to like him.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I would think that a car-themed YouTube channel would be even worse than a video game channel. The reason being that for cars you have to attend shows, etcetera. That requires travel and expenses. Without any knowledge of automotive engineering, I really don't see what he can contribute either.

It's a low barrier of entry system and it is in my opinion a very dangerous pipedream for a lot of young men.

If I read that correctly, some college kid dismissed his father's plans for the money because of his father's "narrowed experiences." That's quite rich, don't you think? I love how that's followed with a request for an 18% annual return.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BarbarianElephant posted:

That's as tragic as hiring a hooker to pretend to like him.

Much cheaper tho.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/40168168/horse-airlifted-to-vet-in-los-angeles-suburb

This looks expensive. Horses: not once.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Solice Kirsk posted:

How does someone jump through this sort of mental hoop?
Stroll over to the r/relationships thread, where this story is downright mundane.

ate all the Oreos posted:

"Be your own boss!" is a plague on stupid people everywhere. The people who can't handle working a 9-5 job are also the people who are too lovely to succeed as an entrepreneur.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

Stroll over to the r/relationships thread, where this story is downright mundane.

"Be your own boss!" is a plague on stupid people everywhere. The people who can't handle working a 9-5 job are also the people who are too lovely to succeed as an entrepreneur.

"Why throw your money away on rent?"
"Gotta spend money to make money"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At my last job I had two mid-20s coworkers who had bought houses with very little money down because of that logic. I mentioned how I liked not having to pay for repairs and I didn't want to stay in the area, and that was enough to get them to stop trying to convince me to do the same.

I think I mentioned the one who put 1% down on a Department of Agriculture loan in the last thread. He was making $23 an hour in the front range of Colorado, and shortly before I left he found out his wife was pregnant. He was happy about it, so good for him I guess?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 6, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I would have replied ealier but 3 days weekends are great.

monster on a stick posted:

No deposit insurance? I guess that's one way to deal with moral hazard but :stare: Do you mean public or is there some kind of private deposit insurance that's going to go nuclear when things finally blow?

There is nothing. Nothing public or private. The banks will just have to convert deposits to bank capital. The Government has made noises saying that this leaves them with options and they will decide how they should act (which means they won't if it's really bad).

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Jesus I had no idea NZ was drowning under that much real estate debt. Did they not have a correction 8 years ago along with the rest of the world?

Hahaha, correction? That was a speed bump with some deleveraging of risky assets. The big hit was with a large number of failed finance companies. Some had risky derrivatives, some probably held MBS and the remaining three were ponzi schemes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finance_company_collapses,_2006-12_(New_Zealand)

We never had a bank event and now we have the most household debt relative to income ever. This graph from the RBNZ shows the comical speedbump prior to going headlong into disaster.
http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/statistics/key-graphs/key-graph-household-debt

Right now a lot of people are in denial. Auckland house sales volumes have dropped, next will be a price correction and then most likely panic selling. Get your popcorn out.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 6, 2017

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

I would think that a car-themed YouTube channel would be even worse than a video game channel. The reason being that for cars you have to attend shows, etcetera. That requires travel and expenses. Without any knowledge of automotive engineering, I really don't see what he can contribute either.

It's a low barrier of entry system and it is in my opinion a very dangerous pipedream for a lot of young men.

Worse yet, to be a successful car YouTuber it is requisite that you ACTUALLY OWN a supercar of some flavor, or obviously better yet a fleet of supercars if not a new and frequently upgraded vehicle of choice every 6 months or so. Also the most popular car YouTuber owns a McLaren 675LT spider but has less than 1MM subscribers (i.e. less than one tenth the most popular video gaming, prank vlogging, and "crushing/burning/smashing X with Y" channels) so there's that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Worse yet, to be a successful car YouTuber it is requisite that you ACTUALLY OWN a supercar of some flavor, or obviously better yet a fleet of supercars if not a new and frequently upgraded vehicle of choice every 6 months or so. Also the most popular car YouTuber owns a McLaren 675LT spider but has less than 1MM subscribers (i.e. less than one tenth the most popular video gaming, prank vlogging, and "crushing/burning/smashing X with Y" channels) so there's that.

You can also just be funny like the guy who does Regular Car Reviews.

Hey Leon, is your brother funny?

Still trying to get over buying and flipping that many MacBooks. Get get a Dell.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I think it's also a big reason why American workers don't fight for better wages/better benefits/more time off. Most people identify with the business owner/company president because they all think, "one day that'll be me!"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SquirrelFace posted:

I think it's also a big reason why American workers don't fight for better wages/better benefits/more time off. Most people identify with the business owner/company president because they all think, "one day that'll be me!"

There's an episode of DS9 that acknowledges that. People identify with being Ferengi.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nerd. John Steinbeck said it first. "Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

Yes, I know, maybe he didn't say that exactly, but he definitely said something close.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Krispy Kareem posted:

You can also just be funny like the guy who does Regular Car Reviews.

Hey Leon, is your brother funny?

Still trying to get over buying and flipping that many MacBooks. Get get a Dell.

If I learned anything from the movie Coyote Ugly, it was that if you want to make music, you've got to have a Mac. I assume the same holds true for Vines and car photos.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

At my last job I had two mid-20s coworkers who had bought houses with very little money down because of that logic. I mentioned how I liked not having to pay for repairs and I didn't want to stay in the area, and that was enough to get them to stop trying to convince me to do the same.

I think I mentioned the one who put 1% down on a Department of Agriculture loan in the last thread. He was making $23 an hour in the front range of Colorado, and shortly before I left he found out his wife was pregnant. He was happy about it, so good for him I guess?
Unless there is something you are leaving out, I don't see why you can't just be happy for him. $23 isn't too bad in a low COL area. Stupid if it is a McMansion of course.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

John Smith posted:

Unless there is something you are leaving out, I don't see why you can't just be happy for him. $23 isn't too bad in a low COL area. Stupid if it is a McMansion of course.

The Colorado front range isn't cheap.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Noctone posted:

The Colorado front range isn't cheap.
Oh. Ok, thanks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. The front range includes places like Denver and Boulder. He is in one of the cheapest parts of it, but I still wouldn't call it low CoL. Add the fact that his wife will probably have to quit working for a while, he's not going to be doing all that great. It might be one of the cheapest parts, but it also has a pretty bad job market unless you want to drive an hour to Denver every day. If he did, I guess within a few years he could be up to 70k+ which would be great for the area, but he would also never see his kid.

Also JFC people younger than me are intentionally having kids. Kids are BWM, join the no-spawn movement at r/childfree.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Driving an hour each way for work also eats into that potential 70k salary at a healthy clip when you factor in gas, repairs, and wear and tear.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Driving an hour each way for work also eats into that potential 70k salary at a healthy clip when you factor in gas, repairs, and wear and tear.

Maybe he should get a horse.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe he should get a horse.

What kind of maintenance fees can we expect for horseshoe wear and tear? What happens if you get a flat hoof and the nearest farrier is miles away!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

What kind of maintenance fees can we expect for horseshoe wear and tear? What happens if you get a flat hoof and the nearest farrier is miles away!!!

Take out a Horse Equinty Line of Credit and call the horse tow truck duh.