Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm in the middle of a game using a custom civ that Yadoppsi had recommended earlier in the thread.

The civ is:

Rapid Breeding
Adaptive
Repugnant

Traits are:

Egalitarian
Pacifist
Spiritualist

My main question is - how am I supposed to go to war without taking a massive hit to happiness? Maybe that just isn't possible? I've been avoiding war because of this but man some of these AIs need to be knocked down a notch or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vasler posted:

I'm in the middle of a game using a custom civ that Yadoppsi had recommended earlier in the thread.

The civ is:

Rapid Breeding
Adaptive
Repugnant

Traits are:

Egalitarian
Pacifist
Spiritualist

My main question is - how am I supposed to go to war without taking a massive hit to happiness? Maybe that just isn't possible? I've been avoiding war because of this but man some of these AIs need to be knocked down a notch or two.

Make them mad they'll get over it.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Make them mad they'll get over it.

Do you mean just go to war and everything will be fine?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vasler posted:

The civ is:

Rapid Breeding
Adaptive
Repugnant

Traits are:

Egalitarian
Pacifist
Spiritualist

If you want to cater to that Pacifist thing, you don't go to war. Otherwise, you do it anyway and let your pops stage planetary-scale sit-ins or whatever while you faceroll over some chump NPC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

it's 25%. So a planet that's 25% bigger than my 15 tile world (19 tiles) could do the same numbers.

Also, I have basically researched everything and have a couple of repeatable mineral techs, as shown in the mouseover image. So cut off 15% if you're looking for what you could get without those.

Isn't it 50%?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Is there a mod that means that now I've finally turned my people into synthetics, when I capture another empire I can force-upgrade my new subjects to join in the metal paradise? I really want to be the cybermen

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't it 50%?

There's two levels, high quality minerals (25%) and very high quality minerals (50%) Mine is the former.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I did a pacifist/spiritualist/something else run a few games ago and it just annoyed the gently caress out of me. As soon as I could I supported my empire in going full spiritualist at the expense of pacifist.

Some of the bonuses are nice but gently caress foreign policy becomes a nightmare. I tried the liberation / vassal integration route but even as a huge empire I was knocking off a groups of 1 and 2 planets from neighbors and they would never agree to vassalize. It just ended up with me surrounded by a bevvy of small powers who then all joined into a loving alliance closing off vassilization forever.

I will admit, though, my first non-pacifist war to smash that alliance and take my long overdue spoils was pretty fun.

Right now I'm having a LOT of fun abusing the gently caress out of the +minerals and -consumer goods empire abilities. Minerals are by far the most important resource until the mid game, and going forward they are still a major issue. Putting industrious and conservationist on your species is great, and if you play a hive mind and add ascetic it gets nuts. You will just run the gently caress away with the early game and by the mid game you're just a juggernaut.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Some of the bonuses are nice but gently caress foreign policy becomes a nightmare. I tried the liberation / vassal integration route but even as a huge empire I was knocking off a groups of 1 and 2 planets from neighbors and they would never agree to vassalize.

I don't quite get this part - I can reliably peel off 5 planets and have them accept vassalization immediately.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ulmont posted:

I don't quite get this part - I can reliably peel off 5 planets and have them accept vassalization immediately.

I was constantly at -10 or so on the vassel request thing. I could never, ever get it to happen. The game kept saying that "population" was the huge issue even when I was a 15+ world empire with full planets trying to get a one-planet nation to accept me as their overlord.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was constantly at -10 or so on the vassel request thing. I could never, ever get it to happen. The game kept saying that "population" was the huge issue even when I was a 15+ world empire with full planets trying to get a one-planet nation to accept me as their overlord.

What were the other modifiers?

Really there should be a larger positive modifier for newly liberated empires to become a protectorate or vassal of the empire that liberated them. If they don't they're pretty much guaranteed to be steamrolled in 10 years. Or worse, they accept someone else's offer before you. :argh:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So here's a lesson I learned: Repugnant leader + Hyper drive + spiral galaxy = you're going to have a bad time :v: .

(As you might imagine, all those borders were instantly closed)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The population modifier really should be relative rather than absolute in those instances, but I guess it's to stop large empirea devouring the entire galaxy at once. There's probably enough other factors already in play to prevent that, however.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuramor posted:

So, just ignore the planets natural resources? At what point does that become feasible. Or do you just do that from the beginning?
Ignoring adjacency bonuses, if you have a +20% or +25% planet modifier overwriting +1 tile resources becomes useful around tier 3. If your people are very happy or you've some other bonus to the thing you're planning to overwrite it's not really a net positive until tier 4.

Taking adjacency bonuses into account it's fine to lose a +1 science in exchange for +2 e/m/f from an otherwise well placed colony capital or a silo, unless it's a planet with a +science or - e/m/f modifier. If there's an applicable colony modifier it can be worth overwriting a +1 e/m/f too.

It's not really worth building the tile resource and then rebuilding, so if I've decided something's getting overwritten and there's no rush to sector it I'll just put off building that tile in favour of other ones. By the time minerals stop being scarce enough that "build this or this first" is no longer a thing I'm usually at tier 3 or 4 tech anyway.

The only times when overwriting +2 tile resources is really advisable are:

1) When you have Very High Quality minerals (+50%) minerals modifier
2) You've for some reason placed your colony capital beside a +2 science tile, especially if the planet has a +e/m/f or -science modifier
3) You've for some reason placed a silo beside a +2 non-minerals tile and the planet has a +minerals modifier or a -(whatever the tile resource is) modifier.

(for 2 or 3 just try not to place your stuff there)

I tend to go by the above guidelines. On the other hand, just overwriting everything on your prison mining colony is also a lot less thinky.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 5, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What were the other modifiers?

Really there should be a larger positive modifier for newly liberated empires to become a protectorate or vassal of the empire that liberated them. If they don't they're pretty much guaranteed to be steamrolled in 10 years. Or worse, they accept someone else's offer before you. :argh:

It's been a while and it was an ironman save so I can't flip back to look at it, but off the top of my head it was a huge + for having liberated them, a smaller + due to them just generically loving me, a large - due to population, a really tiny + due to being threatened, and then the base -50. It was annoying as hell.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I've never really had a problem getting liberated planets to accept being my vassal. Repugnant is a huge hit to opinion of course. Have you taken the opener for adopting domination? It now gives +20 to acceptance on diplomatic subjugation actions.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Splicer posted:

Ignoring adjacency bonuses, if you have a +20% or +25% planet modifier overwriting +1 tile resources becomes useful around tier 3. If your people are very happy or you've some other bonus to the thing you're planning to overwrite it's not really a net positive until tier 4.

Taking adjacency bonuses into account it's fine to lose a +1 science in exchange for +2 e/m/f from an otherwise well placed colony capital or a silo, unless it's a planet with a +science or - e/m/f modifier. If there's an applicable colony modifier it can be worth overwriting a +1 e/m/f too.

It's not really worth building the tile resource and then rebuilding, so if I've decided something's getting overwritten and there's no rush to sector it I'll just put off building that tile in favour of other ones. By the time minerals stop being scarce enough that "build this or this first" is no longer a thing I'm usually at tier 3 or 4 tech anyway.

The only times when overwriting +2 tile resources is really advisable are:

1) When you have Very High Quality minerals (+50%) minerals modifier
2) You've for some reason placed your colony capital beside a +2 science tile, especially if the planet has a +e/m/f or -science modifier
3) You've for some reason placed a silo beside a +2 non-minerals tile and the planet has a +minerals modifier or a -(whatever the tile resource is) modifier.

(for 2 or 3 just try not to place your stuff there)

I tend to go by the above guidelines. On the other hand, just overwriting everything on your prison mining colony is also a lot less thinky.

What do silos even do? Is there any point in getting them above mines or the Network?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Silos increase your mineral storage capacity. They probably aren't worth building since the adjacency was nerfed to +1 at all levels. You can just store minerals in a space port build queue if you really need to.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Silos have zero energy upkeep, so its basically 4 minerals for free. I like to build them diagonally from the capital so two slots get +3 adjacency bonus and higher cap is never unappreciated.

e: Tile and adjacency bonuses are added before % modifiers too, so with smart placement you actually get more than 4 minerals btw

Mondian fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 5, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nuramor posted:

What do silos even do? Is there any point in getting them above mines or the Network?

Not really unless its very early without mine upgrade tech and you have a spot where you can stick it into the middle of 4 mineral producing tiles.

Later with tech a regular mine will easily beat +4 minerals from adjacency.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Staltran posted:

Silos increase your mineral storage capacity. They probably aren't worth building since the adjacency was nerfed to +1 at all levels. You can just store minerals in a space port build queue if you really need to.

Hmmm on the other hand that sounds like tedious antifun.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuramor posted:

They increase your mineral storage cap, which helps you rebuild quickly during war. They used to provide +1 minerals adjacency bonus per tier so a perfectly placed tier 3 silo (placed on a blank square surrounded by blank or +mineral tiles with mines on them) was effectively worth two tier 4 mines, but now they're just +1 total.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nuramor posted:

Silos are basically adjacency 1 and add mineral storage. The maximum Mining Network can give you 5 (or 8, for the empire capital) minerals, which will beat a Silo even if surrounded by networks.

e;f, reminded to refresh before posting.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Splicer posted:

They increase your mineral storage cap, which helps you rebuild quickly during war, and provide +1 minerals adjacency bonus per tier.

Did they not change that a while back and also limit you to one silo per planet as well? People would build these crazy mine/silo planets that made it rain minerals and I guess Wiz did not approve.

Silos still have their place if you get lucky with resource placement but won't break the game anymore.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
God drat you I thought I'd ninja'd fast enough.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I never ever have issues hitting mineral cap how are you guys managing it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nuramor posted:

They increase your mineral storage cap, but for a good chunk of the game you should probably be spending minerals as fast as they come in, so they're not particularly useful?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
drat, I'm playing Pacifist - Fanatic Materialists and the Materialist faction has become so powerful that there are only 2 pacifist pops left out of 380 total. I want to get rid of pacifist and grab something else so I can engage in some more constructive wars but none of my other factions are close, Egalitarian is at 14% but supporting them hasn't resulted in any growth over ten years. Is there a way to just drop an ethic without supporting a new one or do I just have to hope that I someday hit 20% with Eg?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Does anyone have some updated mod recommendations, since the OP's seem to be a few major patches behind? I'd really like something to make combat in particular less tedious, since right now it pretty much seems like a resource optimization game. I tried rumbling with a fallen empire and the first round I tried to get clever with sending little raiding parties maneuvering around their death stack fleet into their undefended planets and optimizing designs against what I thought they were fielding and none of it meant anything, so second time I built a 130k point fleet of all the same battleship to throw at their 120k point fleet and just crushed them with virtually no losses.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Trundel posted:

drat, I'm playing Pacifist - Fanatic Materialists and the Materialist faction has become so powerful that there are only 2 pacifist pops left out of 380 total. I want to get rid of pacifist and grab something else so I can engage in some more constructive wars but none of my other factions are close, Egalitarian is at 14% but supporting them hasn't resulted in any growth over ten years. Is there a way to just drop an ethic without supporting a new one or do I just have to hope that I someday hit 20% with Eg?

Conquer someone who is egalitarian :getin:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hmmm on the other hand that sounds like tedious antifun.

Building silos is pretty tedious too, especially if you want to make use of the adjacency bonus. And how often do you want to keep more than 20K minerals on hand, anyway?

Probably not the right game for people who mind tedium too much anyway

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Main Paineframe posted:

They increase your mineral storage cap, but for a good chunk of the game you should probably be spending minerals as fast as they come in, so they're not particularly useful?

This exactly. Unless you're in the "everyone else's fleet power is rated at Pathetic/Inferior including FEs and AAs" literal post-scarcity phase, having a large amount of minerals stored (that you aren't saving for one particularly expensive upgrade run) is a bad sign. Use them to build more ships and/or spaceports.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Staltran posted:

Building silos is pretty tedious too, especially if you want to make use of the adjacency bonus. And how often do you want to keep more than 20K minerals on hand, anyway?

Probably not the right game for people who mind tedium too much anyway

Late game you need that high cap for some of the mega projects.

. . . unfortunately the only project really worth a drat is the sensor array, and even that isn't a must have.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is it worthwhile at all to try a Hivemind? I have no idea how different they are from standard species.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Splicer posted:

God drat you I thought I'd ninja'd fast enough.

Sorry, phone posting while waiting for a train. Missed like half the page.

Still though, the nerfed the gently caress out of silos but as others have demonstrated getting an abundance of minerals isn't that after the initial colonization rush. It's also a matter of not being hosed over by the RNG when it comes resource distribution.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Cyrano4747 posted:

. . . unfortunately the only project really worth a drat is the sensor array, and even that isn't a must have.
The mega project tech also massively increases your mineral storage so silos aren't very useful there either.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The tech for those megaprojects also gives you +20k mineral storage capacity though, so at most you'll be losing one months worth of minerals per Dyson Sphere upgrade.

Silos are bad.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is it worthwhile at all to try a Hivemind? I have no idea how different they are from standard species.

A hive mind with a habitability trait can be incredibly powerful, and expand quickly. But personally, I find them boring: no factions, no happiness, and they get a malus to diplomacy. They don't really get anything unique to make up for the loss of mechanics (however basic or broken they may be).

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Main Paineframe posted:

What are you spending your resources on? Are you colonizing? Are you building mining and research stations? Are you constructing buildings on your planets? Are you using Frontier Outposts to lay claim to resources and planets? Are you building your fleet up to the fleet cap? If you're fifty years in and still can't handle the early-game pirates, you're probably making some incredibly fundamental mistake.

This is my second game:

Q1: I am usually spending minerals on stations/ship upgrades, influence to replace leaders, I used my unity to start the prosperity tradition first.

Q2:I have colonized Alpha Centauri and Sirius, realizing the dream of humanity. After expanding to one more planet I have learned the lesson of sectors, but sectors kinda suck so i'm thinking of not expanding planets at all.

Q3:I am most definitely building mining stations and research whenever I can. My game had many more mineral worlds/asteroids than research station plots.

Q4:I am constructing buildings according to overall demand. If i am losing EC through constant mining station building, i make a power plant. If I expand and all of a sudden I am losing -5 food a month, i make a hydroponics lab. I have just recently learned of science labs, and I think that's my problem.

Q5: Only on the fringe worlds to expand my border range, and usually on a system that has a reasonable chunk of resources.

Q6: At the beginning, yes, with two construction ships/science ships and a lot of corvettes. Do civilian vessels count on your fleet cap? Now I just noticed that i'm at 33/60 for fleet capacity as I started building destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Conquer someone who is egalitarian :getin:

Wish I could, but the pacifist ethic that I'm trying to get rid of stops me from doing that directly.

I guess that I could find the closest egalitarian civ, liberate one planet, vassal them, and integrate them before their pop switches to bring up the Eg pop. Gonna take a while!

• Locked thread