Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Thanks, hadn't even thought of using the friends filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know about Xon improving my power giancryst chances but I've run the black magic vortex one twice today and ive gotten 2 off it.

Jesus christ its like getting 60k fishes for 30nrg

I wish my power giantcryst rate was this good

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

PaybackJack posted:

I haven't needed more than 1. They don't stack and there aren't enough good swords to make it worthwhile really. Luneth is better off with Blade Mastery and Great Sword Mastery unless you have a really good sword for him and there are a ton of good Greatswords that are easy to TM.

Luneth's BiS by about 40 points in Moonblade/Excalibur with DKS (gets him to 956 atk with the other top of the line stuff). Excal/Genji is only 926, and even Excal/Enhancer with DKS is 920 because of his passive, and everyone has enhancer. Imo, you'd be much better off losing the 6 atk and putting the genji on someone else.

Additionally Orlandu's BiS (if you don't have Brave Suit) is also Moonblade/Excal with DKS, which gets him to 1011. If you do have Brave Suit it's Genji/Excal which gets him to 1018, which is again a judgement call as 6-7 atk points may be worth sacrificing to bump a second character by significantly more.

Greg also makes extremely good use of DKS, since he can only wear heavy armor, and has a really high sword passive. That being said, those 3 characters are probably the best ones who can make use of it, and possible the only relevant ones who can.

Sadly these all hinge on having Moonblade or Mana Blade, which are rare and difficult to come across. Once Vargas comes out though you might want to have more than 1 DKS if you have 2/3 of the above.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 6, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know about Xon improving my power giancryst chances but I've run the black magic vortex one twice today and ive gotten 2 off it.

Jesus christ its like getting 60k fishes for 30nrg

I wish my power giantcryst rate was this good

i wasnt home to set up my macroing so i spent my energy there today and got a tech giancryst :saddowns:

SquidVicious
Jul 23, 2015
I just want to say thanks to everyone for being awesome friends and assisting with titan kills. As a new player my uptime on this event is bonkers. Feels pretty good to be pulling raid summons constantly A+

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Hi y'all just looking for some direction. Just came back, haven't played since launch. Here's my team:

https://imgur.com/DHJpZJB

What should I look to do / focus on?

Also, friend code if anyone wants to add a newbie: 169,347,711

Nargiddley
Jul 30, 2006

McSpankWich posted:

Luneth's BiS by about 40 points in Moonblade/Excalibur with DKS (gets him to 956 atk with the other top of the line stuff). Excal/Genji is only 926, and even Excal/Enhancer with DKS is 920 because of his passive, and everyone has enhancer. Imo, you'd be much better off losing the 6 atk and putting the genji on someone else.

Just an additional note on this, the 920 with Excal/Enhancer is more damage than Excal/Genji at 926 due to how dual wield works.
The ATK from his passive applies to both hands, making the Excal hand hit with extra damage that makes up for the weaker weapon.

Excal/Enhancer is 838 + 800
Excal/Genji is 819 + 806

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

boy are my arms tired posted:

Hi y'all just looking for some direction. Just came back, haven't played since launch. Here's my team:

Fina's a pretty serviceable white mage at 5*, but you're pretty likely to get an Y'shtola from the raid banner, so she's not a really high priority due to how much better the latter is. Rain's a solid breaker/support and more durable than Vaan, so he's way better at the job. Firion gets a ton of damage-boosting abilities that'll let you take on bigger bosses more easily. Sozhe seems like he could be a pretty serviceable provoke tank (though he's missing the damage mitigation you'd really want) and seems like he could put up some damage, too.

I'd probably suggest prioritizing Firion or Y'shtola when you get her.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 6, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

y?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

If you are nowhere in the story I would honestly suggest rerolling until you get a 5* base that isn't Queen, Ace, or Delita. Or at least a good set of 4* bases.

But if you don't want to do that your best bet I guess is Bartz, ExDeath, Firion, Rain, Fina. As a party.

There's a few people itt that just started recently and have had some really good success rerolling.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

McSpankWich posted:

If you are nowhere in the story I would honestly suggest rerolling until you get a 5* base that isn't Queen, Ace, or Delita. Or at least a good set of 4* bases.

But if you don't want to do that your best bet I guess is Bartz, ExDeath, Firion, Rain, Fina. As a party.

There's a few people itt that just started recently and have had some really good success rerolling.

i'm more or less done with the second island, but i did all of that when it was fresh so i wouldn't mind rerolling, i suppose

i thought vaan/bartz/exdeath were good rolls? did the new units that came out recently outclass them just that much?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PaybackJack posted:

WE DO! Click here!

tl:dr Locke increases drop rates for the t1-t3 mats, and Xon increases the drops for the t4 mats.

Also they stack on top of the base drop rate so you'll want a party full for maximum effect.

poo poo. Time to level my second Xon then.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

i thought vaan/bartz/exdeath were good rolls? did the new units that came out recently outclass them just that much?

Vaan has long since been outclassed. He'll get a 6* soon, but I don't think that will make that account worth keeping.
Bartz and Exdeath are good, but not amazing. Exdeath is still a very good mage but you can probably get another one rather easily.

What you are looking for are the big deal damage dealer 5* bases. Get a Noctis, Orlandeau or Aileen and you'll be very well off. Many of the 5*s will do you pretty well overall, but some of them (like Marie or Wilhelm for example) won't be amazing without the other units to do the damage for you.
Reroll a bit until you at least get a 5* base (rainbow crystal) and check to see if they're any good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Power Creep. Exdeath and Butz are serviceable, but they'll never be able to carry you through any of the recent content even with enhancements. Vaan is pretty trash specially now when the game gives you a 6* for essentially free.

It used to be that a strong friend could carry you through most of the games content. Now days its getting harder and harder for that, you need at least the force multiplying power of a good breaker or a good buffer and more importantly chainers. You'll be able to get through most none trial elite content with strong chainers and a whale friend. Right now Titan is barely scratched by a whale Orlandu or Olive, but get them through a 20+ chain and they'll wipe him out in the first or second turn.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
When's the next time enchanted maze will be available? I need sacred crystals again! The Vortex is okay but 15-20 NRG for the best chance at them can be a bit much, and apparently they nerfed that one area with the tank.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Trust bonus doesn't have any use in the Gem vortex does it?

I don't recall seeing any drop.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Looks like Chocobro's event is up next. This will be the first of the mini-continent events, a format most storyline events will follow from now on.

FFBE Zoldaad Region Event - The Gathering

Fohlen [5*/6* | Famitsu 11.5 | Altema 92]: The non-exclusive Chocobro. He's got a wind-element damage/imperil/defense kit similar to the 6* Maxwell we don't have yet, plus reduces encounter rates in explorations. He's a good evade tank with the right setup, which was made even better for global by tossing a counter wind imperil on top of his passive evade boost. You *will* need to grind specific evasion-boosting trusts to take full advantage of him, but unlike Lightning or Noctis, his main power attack guarantees the first three incoming attacks will whiff. In terms of offense, he's on par with Luneth with a wind-element slant.

Amelia [4*/6* | Famitsu 11.0 | Altema 86]: She's a dual-wield gunner with Mustadio's ability toolkit and a defense-piercing attack, similar to Chizuru or Firion in power. Firion will be more powerful on a single target if you have Dual Wield and a pair of high end weapons, but Amelia has better AoE, stat buffs/debuffs and Curaja for pinch healing. Storyline guns tend to be powerful and she can dual wield them without a TM, so it doesn't take a whole lot of effort push her numbers high. If you have Jean from the previous event, grind that Machine Gun+ TM to up her damage output a ton. One of the better non-rainbows, plus she gets some really good enhancements down the road.

Ilias [4*/6* | Famitsu 11.0 | Altema 85]: Ilias is a much improved version of Mel. His main role is mana battery and stat break counter, but he can also heal, mitigate, debuff and buff in a pinch if you plan things out right. Most of his support abilities have to be enabled by an ability use the previous turn, but they have much higher potency than what you'd find on other characters (for example, his ATK/MAG buff is 80% partywide, compared to Minfilia's 50%). Healing items used by Ilias have much greater potency and affect the entire party, plus he's one of the rare characters that can use drinkable items without a TM.

For reference:
Famitsu pegs Aileen at 13.0, Setzer at 12.0, Lightning at 11.0, Rain at 10.5 and Lasswell at 10.0.
Altema pegs Aileen at 96, Setzer at 93, Lightning at 90, Rain at 88 and Lasswell at 85.

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 6, 2017

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Varance posted:

Looks like Chocobro's event is up next. This will be the first of the mini-continent events, a format most storyline events will follow from now on.

FFBE Zoldaad Region Event - The Gathering

Fohlen [5*/6* | Famitsu 11.5 | Altema 92]: The non-exclusive Chocobro. He's got a wind-element damage/imperil/defense kit similar to the 6* Maxwell we don't have yet, plus reduces encounter rates in explorations. He's a good evade tank with the right setup, which was made even better for global by tossing a counter wind imperil on top of his passive evade boost. You *will* need to grind specific evasion-boosting trusts to take full advantage of him, but unlike Lightning or Noctis, his main power attack guarantees the first three incoming attacks will whiff. In terms of offense, he's on par with Luneth with a wind-element slant.

Amelia [4*/6* | Famitsu 11.0 | Altema 86]: She's a dual-wield gunner with Mustadio's ability toolkit and a defense-piercing attack, similar to Chizuru or Firion in power. Firion will be more powerful on a single target if you have Dual Wield and a pair of high end weapons, but Amelia has better AoE, stat buffs/debuffs and Curaja for pinch healing. Storyline guns tend to be powerful and she can dual wield them without a TM, so it doesn't take a whole lot of effort push her numbers high. If you have Jean from the previous event, grind that Machine Gun+ TM to up her damage output a ton. One of the better non-rainbows, plus she gets some really good enhancements down the road.

Ilias [4*/6* | Famitsu 11.0 | Altema 85]: Ilias is a much improved version of Mel. His main role is mana battery and stat break counter, but he can also heal, mitigate, debuff and buff in a pinch if you plan things out right. Most of his support abilities have to be enabled by an ability use the previous turn, but they have much higher potency than what you'd find on other characters (for example, his ATK/MAG buff is 80% partywide, compared to Minfilia's 50%). Healing items used by Ilias have much greater potency and affect the entire party, plus he's one of the rare characters that can use drinkable items without a TM.

For reference:
Famitsu pegs Aileen at 13.0, Setzer at 12.0, Lightning at 11.0, Rain at 10.5 and Lasswell at 10.0.
Altema pegs Aileen at 96, Setzer at 93, Lightning at 90, Rain at 88 and Lasswell at 85.

Look at you not even mentioning Camille. Jerk. :( Also Amelia and Camille have pretty amazing TMs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
That gun lady's dress will be nice on Olive.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Somewhat - a number of the 5* base characters are just better attackers.

The OP really, really needs to be updated with a new list of meta attackers and how "good" parties currently work (i.e.: lots of chaining).

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

i'm more or less done with the second island, but i did all of that when it was fresh so i wouldn't mind rerolling, i suppose

Bartz and ExDeath are indeed good rolls, but since they are 3* bases you WILL eventually pull them, more than likely multiples of them. I've pulled probably 5 bartz and like 9 ExDeath over the course of time playing the game, whereas there are plenty of 5* bases that I have never ever pulled, and probably will never pull as a [mostly] f2p player. So starting off with units that you have extremely low odds of pulling is a smarter idea basically.

On that note, if you plan on throwing thousands of dollars at this game, then by all means continue with your current party.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Evil Fluffy posted:

poo poo. Time to level my second Xon then.

I was corrected that Xon doesn't stack but Locke does.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Is the Titan trial doable at all without Orlandeau-level chaining?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Skyridge posted:

Yup, I've been doing it with one damage dealer and a buff friend Orlandu

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The ELT raid or the Trial?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Skyridge posted:

I think you could probably do it with a good finisher, Setzer and a friend Orlandeau.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Just brainstorming but if you don't have a second Freyvia's Needle Camille's TMR sword is pretty sweet. Lets you get 4x letters and arms without a Genji glove. Eager to try it out.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CyberLord XP posted:

Just brainstorming but if you don't have a second Freyvia's Needle Camille's TMR sword is pretty sweet. Lets you get 4x letters and arms without a Genji glove. Eager to try it out.

It's a water sword, so you end up splitting elements. It's a giant hit in damage, unless you're running her alongside somebody who breaks water as well as Fryevia breaks ice.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Skyridge posted:

I did it this morning with Olive, Luneth, and friend Orlandeau.

Yea that's still 2 other 5 star units, but Luneth wasn't that great and could probably be subbed out for a Firion or something. Then just find someone else to do damage in place of Olive, and I think you should be fine. I had some wiggle room with my turns, I botched my first run because I got Titan to 60% on turn 3 instead of turn 4.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's a water sword, so you end up splitting elements. It's a giant hit in damage, unless you're running her alongside somebody who breaks water as well as Fryevia breaks ice.

Good point. Luckily I have a Marie handy, but something to keep in mind.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
That earth sword from the upcoming event is very attractive to me as an Aileen owner. First to give her earth until Artisan is finished(which should be soonish), and then to give to someone to chain with her.

Is this upcoming banner worth pulling at all beyond maybe dailies? Doesn't seem like it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

My new unit review:

I need two copies of Amelia for both of my Olives. She's also not a terrible breaker on top of it. Innate dual wield for guns with a pair of Romadan Pistols should give her a decent ATK. I don't really need her myself but her kit is really strong. She's probably the best unit of the bunch

Camille's weapon is kind of a trap because you typically don't want to dual-wield the same type of weapon and on top of that, unless you've got a good 5* TMR sword the best weapon to dual wield is itself! Water element is cool because of synergy with the upcoming Tidus but otherwise...

Fohlen's TMR Helm is cool but it's on a 5* base, and Fohlen himself isn't anything to pull for in my book. He's got a neat gimmick but it doesn't seem as strong as it is interesting. He's maybe slightly weaker but more niche than Reberta.

Ilias TMR is super good for healers with the 40% SPR, I'll definitely need one for Ramza. It doubles the effect of healing items so I'm pretty sure that won't work on Ethers but that would be awesome if it did. She has some interesting abilities like a 75% MP refresh that takes a turn to prepare.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 6, 2017

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is this upcoming banner worth pulling at all beyond maybe dailies? Doesn't seem like it.

Illas is a good mana battery/ secondary healer if you need one for trials, otherwise not really.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 6, 2017

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
For those asking "Can Titan Trial be done without your own chainers?" the answer is yes, read my post a few pages back where I did it with Sakura, Refia, Cecil, Noctis, Lightning, Friendlandu.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

So is that gunner girl's TM apron the new best in slot armor for Olive? Gonna have to burn summon tickets for her if it is.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone explain to me what exactly Setzer TM does? Does it affects his dice attacks? If so, it seems like that would be super powerful since his atk is irrelevant using that skill.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

McSpankWich posted:

I just started this game a couple weeks ago now and took the thread advice and started re-rolling like it was crack. I ended up trading in my Noctis account for one that I think has built in luck somewhere. Since last week, this account now has Reberta, Trance Terra, Y'shtola and Dark Fina.

I've been lurking just trying to figure out the early-game and it's been fun. That said, I'd love to get in on the easy Titan farming, I can clear ADV if I run it manually, but nobody survives a turn in PRO. Add me if you can, I'm going to rtft and send some requests too, since I finally settled on an account to focus on. Re-rolling was way too much fun :f5:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jack Van Burace posted:

So is that gunner girl's TM apron the new best in slot armor for Olive? Gonna have to burn summon tickets for her if it is.

So Brave Suit is +15% ATK, and Monster Breastplate is +12 ATK.

Base ATK for my Olive on max Odin with max ATK pots, Black Cowl, Bracer x2, 3x ATK 30% and Doublehand = 1146
With Brave Suit is 1174 (difference of 28)
with MBP is 1179
If my exvius-math is correct I can get the number for the Apron by doubling the difference from Brave Suit making it +56 ATK for a total of 1202.

Palleon posted:

Can anyone explain to me what exactly Setzer TM does? Does it affects his dice attacks? If so, it seems like that would be super powerful since his atk is irrelevant using that skill.

Every weapon in the game has a base damage range based on the type of weapon it is. Unarmed is 100%, Axes deal between 70%-130%, Daggers are 95%-105%.

Setzer's TM is special in that the low end of the damage is higher at 120% and the high end goes all the way to a whopping 650%.

Damge is calculated by the following formula. (Unit ATK2(squared) / Enemy DEF) * Physical Killer Effects * Elemental Weakness/Resistance * Skill Modifier * Level Correction * Weapon Variance * Final Variance

So while it lowers your ATK stat the final modifier is going to be between -10% to 520% better than a max range roll on an Axe or other 130% weapon.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Palleon posted:

I don't think it affects his dice attacks in any way. What it does is it randomly increases the units attack from 1.2x-6.5x whenever they attack.

• Locked thread