Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a-tale-of-three-adventurers.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I’ve still had my share of stupid deaths to lothric knights even at higher levels. Because I’m :“Above average” at best. But like Uncle w said, take advantage of when Lothric knights are not hiding behind their shield, and the fact they have poo poo poise just like you do :v:

My huge turnaround on Lothric knights from being stone walls to just something I had to be mindful of, was learning to just get in there and stab the poo poo out of them when it would flinch lock them.

Part of why for as much as I love the STYLE of Ultra swords and great axes… They are juuuuust too slow for me to handle without getting my poo poo wrecked, even as satisfying as flattening an enemy into the pavement with it is :sigh: Unlike normal greatswords which I’m apparently just passable enough with to Bastard sword and Flamberge the hell out of 90% of the game.

Nthing the "Put at least some points into your health". I am very, VERY glad I shot for at least 19 health before Irythyl in my first playthrough, and then pushed for 27 to have that flat 1,000 health while not embered ASAP after reaching it. Because man oh man does it feel like a spike when you reach that area.

Moxie posted:

I found that using my weapon art (straight sword stance) was effective against the high wall knights my first run. I believe katanas have a similar guard break move.
I have stance arts to thank for being able to feel smugger than I deserve against greatshield sporting knights. I loving love the stance art. I've got a love/hate relationship with R2 thrust swords though.

Man, whenever I get around to the DLC in my slow off and on replay, I’m probably in for a rude wake up call from my current feeling of “Oh good, I’m not dying to bosses yet :buddy:” in the early game.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
*Okay, here's a completely disorganized and rambling post about my current status and an open request for any sort of suggestions regarding any of the stuff I'm saying here. I'm not asking anyone to waste their time trying to address all my points.*

Hey, I've beaten the main game and have nothing left to do in this first playthrough but beat Nameless King and do the DLCs. I just started Painted World and I remember some people saying that you can skip on a minor part of a questline if you follow traditional gamer logic and not what FromSoft thinks would be your instinctual path, but I'm not sure if that's happened.

So far I've fought the giant wolf once and I've skipped that area where a huge dude shoots exploding arrows at you from a tower, but can go back and do that at any time. I've crossed the giant bridge to talk to Friede's knight and Friede, and then entered the Corvian Village and gotten to the bonfire but have gone no further.

Which way "should" I be going now? Mind you I know that even if I miss anything it's just going to be some boring bullshit and nothing amazing like the beginning of Patches' questline at the Cathderal.

-----
I've been maining a +10 Heavy Dark Sword at 40 str but just got a +10 Heavy Splitleaf Greatsword and am trying to learn its timing, though I'm still a baby who can't parry for poo poo and rely on semi-competent dodging and my Black Iron Greatshield. I've managed to kill the King of Storms once, to then immediately be two-shotted by Nameless. My friend said I'll get better at King of Storms and should eventually manage to consistently Perfect him, but for NK, "there is no trick. git gud and you have my condolences." That being said, I did beat Champion Grundyr in 2 tries, the second try being 3 weeks after the first. But then, he's just a big man with a weapon, so when I fight Grundyr, my enemy is actually Grundyr, and not the goddamn camera as I try to run into position to hit a wiggly dragon neck while still having stamina to block/dodge a Swordspear swipe coming from just offscreen.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 6, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't beat Nameless King until NG+2 with about 140 hours played. Don't keep trying him over and over again at the same level, you'll lose your mind.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Nameless king wise, unless they turbo nerfed it since launch I’m a huge fan of bringing along a Knight’s Crossbow (with lightning ammo, which you should have access to you by that point) to make the first phase of the nameless king go a lot smoother.

Knight’s crossbow is that little baby crossbow lothric knights drop. But it’s got half lightning damage. While everyone says the first phase is “Easier”, I just found it way too awkward to be any fun.

Bringing along that little baby crossbow made my next attempt a win. The first phase went that much smoother, letting me take potshots while it was out of melee reach or I simply wasn’t feeling confident in rushing in and stabbing at the time. Still plenty of melee damage vs the first phase, but the crossbow made a huge difference in filling the dead air moments of the fight. While being light enough to not be a big impact on equip load.

So I actually enjoyed my fight with the second phase despite it still being a close win. Because there was less fighting of cameras and watching my flamberge harmlessly clip through the dragon’s face despite running physically into it’s hitbox before swinging. So I wasn’t entering the second phase already in a state of :argh: even if I still had all my estus.

I also had a greatshield at the time though, which prooobably helped a lot even with lightning chip damage. But yeah, he's an optional superboss so definitely put them off until you are feeling bulked up enough to tackle them. Like how I spent 90% of my first runthrough with 20ish strength because Greatbows are cool, then ramped up my strength to sport a proper greatshield before trying to take on the Nameless king in the first place... Along with way too much VIT to be practical because I loved wearing cool stuff and carrying several weapons at once on top of a shield :downs:

God, I'd be so much better off if I could ever bring myself to streamline builds. But no, I always want to do a little of everything while wearing a lot of everything.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Twin Dragon Greatshield is a great and accessible tool to make Nameless King a bit safer.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm at level 22 and my Vitality is only at 11. Did I...mess up?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grouchio posted:

I mean, it's not like you're committed to anything at this stage and can never change your stats around, but personally I would always level health first unless I'm specifically trying to meet the requirements for a weapon or spell. Especially in DS3, base health really isn't good to have unless you are insanely pro at dodging and will get you comboed to death quite a bit.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grouchio posted:

If you're dying all the time, maybe. If not, then no. Your best defense is to not get hit at all. You can redistribute your stats at a later point in the game. But you'll need a currency that requires you to join a specific covenant and invade and kill other players.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

As long as you're still winning, you have not messed up yet. But things do start hitting much harder down the line.

You definitely want to focus on the stats you need to actually wield the weapons and earlier spells you want first and foremost. Because HP won't help if you don't have the goods to kill stuff comfortably in the first place. In my still rusty replay, I didn't start putting more HP onto my Knight until I already had 19/15 STR/DEX for stuff I wanted now and later, along with the frivolous small bit of int, faith, and Attune for utility. etc.

Check out a build planner to get a look at what your HP results will be, so you can get a feel for what you think you'll want sooner or later.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 6, 2017

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Moxie posted:

Twin Dragon Greatshield is a great and accessible tool to make Nameless King a bit safer.

Yup, or the Greatshield of Glory, dropped by one of the two mimics on the right side of Yhorm's fog wall.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The easy mode for nameless king is be a pyromancer with chaos bed vestiges. Knight's crossbow his ride to death then light him up. Just carry a high lightning resist shield and try to stay at 45 degree angles to him so his AOE attacks mostly whiff. I didn't successfully beat him until I was on ng+4 and had repecced into pyro for fun. Then I spent like an hour just stomping him cooping with pubbies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nameless King is one of the few bosses where sorcery reigns supreme. The first phase is wiped out by a couple soul spears to the head and he himself isn't quick enough to dodge them in the second. It's like DS1 all over again.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ha. Remember when that guy brutally hacked this game and would invade people like a virus and get people softbanned merely by interacting with them?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So I'm sure everyone saw the fake bloodborne 2 leak. Think From will show at E3?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ha. Remember when that guy brutally hacked this game and would invade people like a virus and get people softbanned merely by interacting with them?

Yes. People like him are a good reason for the developers of Cheat Engine to start charging money for it

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

CJacobs posted:

Yes. People like him are a good reason for the developers of Cheat Engine to start charging money for it
The idea that people that dedicated to being dicks will be deterred by a few bucks is laughable (and there's an entire cheat tool industry proving you hilariously wrong), and also completely missing the actual problem of an obscure shoddily heuristic softban system and insecure ancient netcode.

hanales posted:

So I'm sure everyone saw the fake bloodborne 2 leak. Think From will show at E3?
Missed that but i hope so. I imagine whatever they'll tease will be years away at this point tho.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The idea that people that dedicated to being dicks will be deterred by a few bucks is laughable (and there's an entire cheat tool industry proving you hilariously wrong), and also completely missing the actual problem of an obscure shoddily heuristic softban system and insecure ancient netcode.

Don't care. It should cost money anyway to spite him.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I didn't mind the crow ninjas that much. I personally found the worst enemies to be the giant tree-wand swamp wizards in Farron Keep.

They are absolutely my most hated enemy. The third fire in Farron Keep, where you get two of them back to back followed by an NPC invasion, and then basilisks (2nd most hated). Enough to give me conniptions.

Inb4 the bit with three of them - that is at least optional.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

kilinrax posted:

They are absolutely my most hated enemy. The third fire in Farron Keep, where you get two of them back to back followed by an NPC invasion, and then basilisks (2nd most hated). Enough to give me conniptions.

All of those are optional. You don't ever need to fight the big swamp wizards.

My least favorite enemies are probably Giant Enemy Crabs, the turtle clerics in the Ringed City and maybe the locust preachers, since they have a buttload of hp, and are everywhere.

I dislike the vikings in general, but the archer ones are incredibly obnoxious pretty much everywhere you encounter them.

I've died more times than I'd care to admit to Thralls, too, but they're not more than a nuisance most of the time.

Of course, the only answer to the most hated enemy in any Dark Souls is and always will be any kind of dog.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Worst enemy of all time is the grab-boxes for the Mimics in DS2 for sure

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
No way. The worst enemy were the flying things in Demon Souls that were akin to Morrowinds Cliff racers. Except they shot green wind energy or something.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

kilinrax posted:

After dying to them a few times, I just skipped the ghru tree wizards. I couldn't avoid the goddamn unarmed ghrus who jump up in the air and gently caress your face, and they killed me at least 10 goddamn times. I don't know what it is about their movements that makes it so hard to dodge. Like, the way they jump in the air is too slow....Gives me conniptions also.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Worst enemy of all time is the grab-boxes for the Mimics in DS2 for sure

*for the two millionth time in this thread*

Fire Salamanders

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The above post is correct. Fire Salamanders were just the worst bullshit.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Glenn Quebec posted:

From undid those.

(They undid every softban over a certain time period, since they could not actually tell.)

I honestly do not grasp why they even try to stop it at this point. Community tools were far superior to undoing any of the damage done in the DS2 era especially, except whoops trying to protect yourself got you softbanned.

All the stuff that guy you mentioned did? I knew how to stop that cold back in Dark Souls 1, using the same exact method From ultimately used in Dark Souls 3 years later. It is why he couldn't kill me when I showed up, I had a mostly-patched game before the actual patch. All From did was change a clientside targeting flag that was literally "let other entities hit you with this" in big flashing neon sign form.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 6, 2017

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Maleh-Vor posted:

All of those are optional. You don't ever need to fight the big swamp wizards.

That's probably my own internal bullshit there. I'll skip an area, but I don't like skipping enemies in an area unless I've killed them at least once.

Thinking about it, 90% of what I've been 'stuck' on in souls is actually my own bullshit; rage against my own failure, or refusal to summon or whatever would make the fight easier.

... which is why every boss from the Pontiff on, I only beat first time after 2-3 beers. Or so I tell myself.

Maleh-Vor posted:

My least favorite enemies are probably Giant Enemy Crabs, the turtle clerics in the Ringed City and maybe the locust preachers, since they have a buttload of hp, and are everywhere.

The crabs were a lot less of a pain in the rear end when I realised, as long as you learn the telegraph of the double slam, being in front of them was less dangerous than the alternatives. Also, you can poise through the water jet attack, if you're close enough, and stun them. The locust preachers were annoying, but pretty par for the relentless standards of pain for the ringed city.

I'll give you the turtle clerics though, that first rotunda full of them killed me many, many more times than I'd like to admit. Took me a long time to find the last one, from the jump off the chandelier, and it'd always kill me during the fight with the ringed knight, if the ringed knight didn't get me first.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Of course, the only answer to the most hated enemy in any Dark Souls is and always will be any kind of dog.

... and I'll give you that :-/

kilinrax fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 6, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

multijoe posted:

*for the two millionth time in this thread*

Fire Salamanders

My bad. Definitely those were the worst of all bullshit. Also the suicidal mummies, but definitely Fire Salamanders

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

On the subject of hackers, I was bluebro'd into someone's game over the weekend in the Pontiff PvP spot. There was some kind of constant explosion of dark magic coming from them, all of my equipped weapons were instantly broken and then I was dead. Anyone else had this?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I wonder if that is the guy I know who first figured it out, or if how to do that was figured out by someone who wanted to use it for things less funny than a grossly incandescent limbo dance.

(Yes, From hosed up and made a method that lets you easily fire bullet streams again, though with less opportunity for artistic applications.)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 6, 2017

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Maleh-Vor posted:

I dislike the vikings in general, but the archer ones are incredibly obnoxious pretty much everywhere you encounter them.
The worst thing about them is when you finally close the distance and think you got them, they just pull out a giant fuckoff mace/shield&sword and become regular rear end in a top hat vikings.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the trick to the shield vikings is parrying. or just spell spam them but not everyone can do that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they are also backstabbable so you can strafe them and do that

or roll thru their attacks and then hit them with your sword. or, best of all possible worlds, just not go to that area since there's nothing there(and the archer knights you have to pass on your way to the house full of bugs and the depths of the painting bonfire you can just run past)

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I stumbled over a message in Farron Keep that said something like "Try Fire" near the big swamp tree wizards. You can kite them fairly easily into the little burning fires around the map which will both injure and stagger them. Prior to that knowledge they regularly kicked my rear end in conjunction with the poison and deep water rolling.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
kinda like the room of loving jailers in irythill dungeon

I thought it was idiotic bullshit by a team who just doesnt give a gently caress anymore but someone told me you can release a nearby monster that will wreck their poo poo

that makes a lot more sense...because a massive grouping of enemies that can individually sap your max health down to a sliver upon sight is seriously the worst thing from soft has ever done

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Uguuuuuuuggghhhhhhhhhh fighting casters is this game got me like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cDvcYCWmiM

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think on balance the shark giants in the Fisting Hamlet are still The loving Worst(TM)

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Wrong souls game m8, but a legit point that needs to be seen in the BB thread.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Wacky hitboxes always bug me. Which is part of why the long legged jumpy Gru's are a pain in the dick. They have the wonderful tendency of going from flinch locked to "gently caress this I'm going to leap and land on your skull the millisecond before your killing blow hits me." Even in co-op with two guys hitting them. So they have the double whammy of lovely hitboxes for trying to hit them, and lovely hitboxes of landing hits against you.

Tall spindly things are also why I generally abandon thrusting greatswords in the long run. I love the claymore, but from bat winged demons and Smough's crotch, to bow legged gru's, to tall bosses crawling on their tall arms and legs. My claymore stabs just love to wiff or :downs: target dead air. So the 90% of the time a thrusting hard attack would be better for me than an overhand swing, doesn't beat out the 10% of the time an overhand swing is guaranteed to hit something without having to put far more extra effort into my positioning I would with a slow thrust.

Tallgeese posted:

From undid those.

(They undid every softban over a certain time period, since they could not actually tell.)

I honestly do not grasp why they even try to stop it at this point. Community tools were far superior to undoing any of the damage done in the DS2 era especially, except whoops trying to protect yourself got you softbanned.

All the stuff that guy you mentioned did? I knew how to stop that cold back in Dark Souls 1, using the same exact method From ultimately used in Dark Souls 3 years later. It is why he couldn't kill me when I showed up, I had a mostly-patched game before the actual patch. All From did was change a clientside targeting flag that was literally "let other entities hit you with this" in big flashing neon sign form.

I brought up those turbo hacks in the steam forums the other day, while joking that people still defend the lovely softban system.

"That's just a rumor that it happened!" Yes, because streaming yourself hacking people is just a rumor.

KingSlime posted:

kinda like the room of loving jailers in irythill dungeon

I thought it was idiotic bullshit by a team who just doesnt give a gently caress anymore but someone told me you can release a nearby monster that will wreck their poo poo

that makes a lot more sense...because a massive grouping of enemies that can individually sap your max health down to a sliver upon sight is seriously the worst thing from soft has ever done
Note to self. Remember to bring the eleventy billion arrows for being a huge baby and pulling batches of those at my leisure. You don't need an archery build to get someone's attention, but it sure as gently caress takes a lot longer than if I could have just 360 noscoped them to death no problem.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My trick for the jumpy swamp guys is to never lock on to them because otherwise you'll roll right underneath their horseshit. Just eyeball where they'll land and back away. Any weapon with a big vertical attack is nice too.