Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

PantsBandit posted:

It seems like people are getting lower to the ground then me before opening their chutes, is there some trick I'm not aware of.

Point your camera straight down when you're above your target. It makes you go slightly faster if you reach 234 km/s before you open your chute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
You just have to near your target, you can still maneuver around during the chute stage to your target. But as soon as you open your chute you should go from 150 km/s down to 50 pretty fast

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cicadalek posted:

Point your camera straight down when you're above your target. It makes you go slightly faster if you reach 234 km/s before you open your chute

Lady Galaga posted:

You just have to near your target, you can still maneuver around during the chute stage to your target. But as soon as you open your chute you should go from 150 km/s down to 50 pretty fast

Ok but it definitely seems like people are literally going to a lower elevation than me before opening their chute. Not sure if it's a graphical glitch or what. I was under the impression all that mattered was distance to the ground, so if we're level on elevation we should open at the same time.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

Ok but it definitely seems like people are literally going to a lower elevation than me before opening their chute. Not sure if it's a graphical glitch or what. I was under the impression all that mattered was distance to the ground, so if we're level on elevation we should open at the same time.

If you hit 234 before your chute opens, you'll open your chute lower.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

If you open the chute yourself at just the last second and you're going super fast you'll fall further before your chute opens. But if you let the game auto-open it then you end up higher.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

King of False Promises posted:

King of False Promises posted:

Great, this is what I had no clue about. That definitely changes things.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

PantsBandit posted:

Great, this is what I had no clue about. That definitely changes things.

You can move about 2 squares on your mini map with your chute open, try and maximize your time spent at 234. I think letting go of W right before your chute opens puts you even lower, but that could be wrong

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you pull as soon as possible and go down in a swinging motion it'll take a little over two minutes and you can travel 2.1 km. If you just go for maximum speed as well as distance you'll hit 1.5km and take about a minute to reach the ground.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Or just pull your chute immediately and float around like a chill bro.
Ain't nobody gonna gently caress with your Zen rear end.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I am really starting to like grenades. Just had two kills in a row, both people hiding behind trees, both died by my grenade. Of course I spent too long looting the second guy, and didn't hear the person coming up on me to end my life, but hey, I enjoyed those two kills a lot.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

I am really starting to like grenades. Just had two kills in a row, both people hiding behind trees, both died by my grenade. Of course I spent too long looting the second guy, and didn't hear the person coming up on me to end my life, but hey, I enjoyed those two kills a lot.

I have GOT to remember to use frags. All too often I'll be in a stalemate behind trees and if I just remembered I could throw a frag in I'd win way more of them.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Enallyniv posted:

Was this engine jank or is it a thing to spam crouch over and over to avoid being headshot? Just ran into a couple of guys that were jittering up and down as they engaged us.

We got wrecked anyway since our group loving sucked but that'd have been really lovely if they'd jittered past a headshot.

spamming crouch is kinda dumb cuz most people go for center mass anyway

some good players go for the side lean (when out of cover) to dodge headshots and upper torso shots in mid to long engagements and it's as hilarious as it is effective

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PantsBandit posted:

I have GOT to remember to use frags. All too often I'll be in a stalemate behind trees and if I just remembered I could throw a frag in I'd win way more of them.

Yeah, the thing is, you don't need to be close enough to land right beside them. They bounce or roll several feet, so you can really surprise them as they think it landed in front of the tree and they don't need to worry about it.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Had the best squad win tonight. We landed just a bit shy of the northeast corner of the island on a rain game and took a boat over to spawn island. We came away with a few shotguns and an smg. Had to rush into the 2nd circle with the boat and landed outside of severny. We endes up crawling our way throguh the town itself and the hills to the west to catch the final stuck behind a rock.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Just had a nice man mode solo dinner w/ 8 kills. After clearing Pachinko & killing 2 stragglers running the circle I was at 5 kills and pinned down near a building outside of the huge field north of Pachinko. Final circle was gonna be in the field for sure. There was a guy in the house I was hiding next to, a guy for sure in the house next to that one, and a sniper out in the fields somewhere. There was a UAZ sitting half out of the zone that one of the house campers left so I made an interesting tactical decision and grabbed it. Drove to the circle and got cover behind the hill. For some reason the sniper that had great position on the hill didn't hear my car or me cuz he was busy shooting at people on the other side so I killed him and ended up with the high ground where I could easily headshot all the prone field crawlers left for the win. I don't think 1 month ago PUBG me would have grabbed the jeep and went for the aggressive play.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

At terminal velocity they will continue to fall until the chute actually opens. Otherwise you'll slow down the moment you start to open it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The real pro strat with grenades is to throw a stun/frag to mask you opening a door.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

One of the last 4 people left, kitted out with silenced smg and ar, feeling good. I see a guy priming a grenade behind a rock aiming at someone else. I kill the guy throwing the grenade as it leaves his hand, while the intended target sees me and headshots me. The grenade gets him a second later. Some lucky fucker hiding somewhere gets the chicken dinner without firing a shot.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CascadeBeta posted:

The real pro strat with grenades is to throw a stun/frag to mask you opening a door.

drat that is pro

also when a plane comes over head or someone is in a gunfight, all they can hear is the sound of their own gun. Make sure you sprint up and quake that fucker

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

municipal shrimp posted:

Had the best squad win tonight. We landed just a bit shy of the northeast corner of the island on a rain game and took a boat over to spawn island. We came away with a few shotguns and an smg. Had to rush into the 2nd circle with the boat and landed outside of severny. We endes up crawling our way throguh the town itself and the hills to the west to catch the final stuck behind a rock.

We were so great we crashed the servers.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

CascadeBeta posted:

You just open the door when the stun/frag explodes?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Zo posted:

(abusing third person camera each time).

How is this done?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Got my first chicken dinner in Squad as a three man group who had one member die within 20 seconds of landing.

Feels good man.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Snapes N Snapes posted:

How is this done?

Lots of people like to camp doors but if you get into a habit of opening every door from the side you can see into the room while they can't see you. Like bathroom campers are free kills. Also sweep windows while crouched so you can see inside without being vulnerable.

Third person makes pushing houses really easy if you're smart about it (but makes pushing open fields a lot harder cuz bush wookies can see you clearly).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Inspector_666 posted:

Squad chicken dinner with all 4 members at full health, gently caress yeah. I only got one kill though, because I am bad.

EDIT: Ok, not full health, but all alive.

This was the easiest game I've played yet. Everything went our way. Literally everything. The circle basically collapsed on our position. The crashed plane in the north central part of the map. Even more hilarious was that to start the game we dropped near Mylta and took a car to the military base.

The rest of the night was pretty glorious too, all top ten finishes, including a massive fist fight in pochinky to open a game.

Stats only recorded the first game though :negative:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

People who play aggressively in squads, how do you go about it? What's your general plan, etc. Been rolling with some friends and it has been a blast but I wanna be more active and spend less time sitting in one spot even when it's the safe move to make. I'm able to do it in solo but I'm having problems in groups since I need more concrete plans to get everyone on board.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Srice posted:

People who play aggressively in squads, how do you go about it? What's your general plan, etc. Been rolling with some friends and it has been a blast but I wanna be more active and spend less time sitting in one spot even when it's the safe move to make. I'm able to do it in solo but I'm having problems in groups since I need more concrete plans to get everyone on board.

Step 1: Drop into high loot % areas (Pochinky, Military Base, School, Yasnaya, Powerplant). Try to 'win' the area. It's the most fun you can have early in the game.
Step 2: Run towards gunfire, not away from it. You may get to pick off some guys that inevitably have to die for you to win anyways.
Step 3: Set up ambushes between high pop areas and the circle (my group did this last night and we basically nailed a group of 4 leaving Pochinky and got all the choice loot from the town without needing to risk a more dangerous house to house fight)
Step 4: Contest care packages. Almost always leads to a fight.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

I play a really strong close range game so I try to close the gap out of sight then get the kill. Really it's all about moving with confidence.

As far as team tactics goes, play with better people. People that lead teams but want everyone on a leash suck. Don't play with them.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Does this play well with playing International?
Mates that play this are all American but I'm stuck in Australia.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Do people playing in teams actually use tactics when they get into a firefight, like two guys shooting while two others close, or is more of a 4v4 Counterstrike game

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Neon Belly posted:

You just open the door when the stun/frag explodes?

It's something I did when I was solo vs a squad. I downed one of them on the second floor of one of those houses with the staircases in the middle of the house. I lobbed a grenade at them through the second floor balcony door where I shot them then breached on the explosion. When I got up to the second floor they all were moving back into position watching the balcony door and I was able to pick up a 3k.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Gort posted:

Do people playing in teams actually use tactics when they get into a firefight, like two guys shooting while two others close, or is more of a 4v4 Counterstrike game

Yes, we try to.

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 6, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

Does this play well with playing International?
Mates that play this are all American but I'm stuck in Australia.

Yep, I'm in Asia and play on the US and EU servers all the time. It's not a twitch shooter and you'll often be leading shots anyway, so higher latencies aren't nearly as noticeable as on something like, say, CS:GO.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Skoll posted:

KDR only matters if you require the validation from it. You could be a normal person and just not care and enjoy the game?

Or hang out in other discords?

I need to start playing with Goons. I have a buddy I like playing the game with, but his two friends are salty babies and never want to drop cool places like the mlitary base/school/hospital/mansion and his other friend keeps spouting off fakenews "facts" about this game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Carebearz posted:

I need to start playing with Goons. I have a buddy I like playing the game with, but his two friends are salty babies and never want to drop cool places like the mlitary base/school/hospital/mansion and his other friend keeps spouting off fakenews "facts" about this game.

You sound like a joy to play with yourself

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Is this for reals? The squad I play with regularly will have 1or2 people try to pin down the team while others flank them so they are no longer in cover. We designate 1 person to always watch our asses as we move and often times we will have 1 move while others watch so we can provide cover while we leap frog from tree to tree or what ever. This is probably why we have like 10 wins.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Carebearz posted:

I play with goon friends without being in the tryhard kdr obsessed discord. We have fun even if the game doesn't go well and that's really all that matters to me tbh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

I play with goon friends without being in the tryhard kdr obsessed discord. We have fun even if the game doesn't go well and that's really all that matters to me tbh.

For the most part the discord is fine though? Of course there are some tryhards there, but if that's how they want to play then who cares? Anyone can get a team on the goon discord, and most people I've played with there have been friendly and chill.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

is there a discord for "tryhard most of the time unless I find a motorcycle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

PantsBandit posted:

It seems like people are getting lower to the ground then me before opening their chutes, is there some trick I'm not aware of.

This video seems to line up with my experiences pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpFk3p_2Wk

• Locked thread