Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

remusclaw posted:

Doctor seemed completely fine leading an armed raid into the Monk's (totally without context, I mean, did they in any way tie the Monk's to Egypt? It just looks cool and that's enough, right?) pyramid and letting his troopers shoot people.

Just because he's the man who never would doesn't mean he won't let other people.

Plus he knows that there's way less Monks than they claim, and indeed there was only like, four. Wasn't much of a firefight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

remusclaw posted:

Doctor seemed completely fine leading an armed raid into the Monk's (totally without context, I mean, did they in any way tie the Monk's to Egypt? It just looks cool and that's enough, right?) pyramid and letting his troopers shoot people.

They weirdly did this in the Zygon two-parter last season, where he goes in with a locked-and-loaded UNIT squad and just tells them to kill as few Zygons as possible. Also, I'm surprised that the army guys in part two didn't try the five rounds rapid solution, considering the monks were extremely susceptible to bullets in this episode. Come to think of it, the monks can stop missiles and teleport onto bombers to stop them, but a hail of gunfire is too much to handle?

Also, another thing I realized I disliked: the Doctor asks Missy for help at the end of the first part, then he waits until part three to ask her about the monks, despite being positive that she knows all about them? He spent the entire second episode not knowing anything about them and why they need a human to consent to their invasion. It seems like he should have consulted Missy right away.

Gordon Shumway fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 5, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Missy's evil, asking her is a last resort

E: oh hey did anyone ask this yet "if the population is controlled by the statues then did people just LET them put the statues up?"

Another E: this is a trilogy where each episode makes the previous one look better, with villains who have killed a simulated Doctor "many times" yet just let him hang out on a boat when they take over the earth for real, who don't want to rule by fear but send out death squads for thoughtcriminals, and who look like rotting corpses in monk outfits who live on a flying pyramid none of which means anything. I'm getting really steamed about this!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 5, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought the monk's shield effect was very cool. But yeah, it was very quick moving, getting to the 'climax'. Any other season, that would have been that season's big three parter ending. I felt Missy was largely wasted, although she's always amazing on screen. I did like her sincere 'my condolences' about hearing of River's death in Extremis, it was a nice moment.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Forktoss posted:

The new season is alright and all, but in more important matters, I have a continuity question about The Two Masters BFA. There's a flashback that takes place on Terserus, and it's revealed that it was the MacQueen Master who fried his earlier self into the Pratt/Beevers corpse form and called in Chancellor Goth, leading into The Deadly Assassin. The thing is, I always thought that Pratt and Beevers were supposed to be a melting Delgado, but in the audio it's just Beevers even before he's corpsified. Did I misunderstand something, or are BF saying that there's a straight-up, not-undead Geoffrey Beevers incarnation in between Delgado and Pratt? Is there precedence for this somewhere? I've just assumed that Delgado -> Pratt was pretty widely accepted as what happened.

Spoilers for Big Finish: One of the novels I think has Delgado being melted and turned into the crispy incarnation but both Big Finish and the Doctor Who magazine comic have Delgado and Pratt/Beevers as two separate incarnations (see below if you don't mind the DWM spoiler). There's nothing in the actual TV series to suggest that Delgado and Pratt/Beevers are the same incarnation, as the 13 regeneration limit wasn't actually mentioned until Pratt's appearance in The Deadly Assassin. I personally much prefer the BF/DWM view that Delgado and Pratt/Beevers are different people, as I think their portrayals are too far apart to adequately explain them as all the same incarnation. (There's also the problem that neither Pratt nor Beevers even slightly sound or look like Delgado.)

In Big Finish there's more than just The Two Masters that suggests they're separate incarnations - in Mastermind the Master is significantly less crispy and just straight-up has Geoffrey Beever's face on the cover.

Spoilers for Doctor Who Magazine: In a recent 12th Doctor comic featuring the Delgado Master he regenerates into an unknown incarnation at the end, placing him as the 12th at most and Pratt/Beevers definitively as the 13th Master.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the statues I could see it being that the ones closest to the Pyramids came first, putting one in range of the transmitter at first, then widening the net as the statues further amplified the signal.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

All of the statues were just instantly dropped from orbit. Bill said she was in the pyramid giving her consent one moment, and then <possible memory less> next moment she was somewhere outside and the Monks were already fully in control.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

haven't the other doctors mostly stuck to one outfit except for special occasions? like 11 and 10 each had one suit each, or did i just not pay much attention to their clothes.
Ten eventually changed from a brown suit to a blue one and Eleven went from brown waistcoat to purple

At least we were spared these

Shame they didn't go with this outfit though

Meanwhile, Nine is the one with the least costume changes

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 5, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
9 changed his jumper a couple times. That counts!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

echoplex posted:

Hayley and Zoe are really, really on the ball. Young and hungry to create amazing work. The volume of stuff they've done over the last few episodes is mind bending. It was hard in the art dept; I don't know how they managed.

Really strong Half Life 2 vibes from this which makes me really wish I'd done it, as I'm pretty sure our 71 year old designer has never played it, and would have been great to really run with that.
Ten minutes in GMOD with what limited models I could scrounge up

Honestly surprised there was a 12th Doctor model, albeit without faceposing, otherwise I'd have given him his delightful grin

grim`
May 6, 2004

there's no lies to the game of eyes
I met Paul McGann at Niagara Falls Comicon Saturday and he was very nice and talkative. He is really happy that people in the US are buying Big Finishes because he loves doing them and more sales mean more stories. Yesterday I went back over to his table and we talked about Bowie for like ten minutes but I forgot to ask about the Horror of Glam Rock. I put $30 into his brother's kickstarter for the short film they're making.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm64lizRkxI
Michelle and Pearl talk about the Master

Now I kinda wanna see a Missy/Bill pair-up, akin to The Magician's Apprentice/Witch's Familiar with Clara

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

just caught up on the last couple of weeks

what a load of shite

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gordon Shumway posted:

They weirdly did this in the Zygon two-parter last season, where he goes in with a locked-and-loaded UNIT squad and just tells them to kill as few Zygons as possible. Also, I'm surprised that the army guys in part two didn't try the five rounds rapid solution, considering the monks were extremely susceptible to bullets in this episode. Come to think of it, the monks can stop missiles and teleport onto bombers to stop them, but a hail of gunfire is too much to handle?

My guess is the submarine grabbing tech isn't something any random monk can carry around with him. It only works from the mothership/pyramid.

During the second episode they had all hands on deck. All the monks were inside the pyramid making sure everything went according to plan. A bunch monitoring various info feeds to see how people were reacting, a bunch manning the simulation threads, updating the simulations with the current situation, a bunch running the weapons control room we never saw. Somebody running the completely bullshit "instant anti-blindness medical treatment" machine.

3 months later the monks are dispersed. There are a handful maintaining essential functions in the ship, while the rest are off doing monk things and shooting lightning at folks for history crimes. Nobody was running the submarine teleporter. Probably they can't run the teleporter and the psychic field generator at the same time because :techno:.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd love to see more of the excuses people come up with after.

"Why do we have a fleet of 500 sinister vans marked 'Memory Police'?"
"Uhhh... didn't you get really drunk and requisition them?"
"Yeah, probably."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I'd love to see more of the excuses people come up with after.

"Why do we have a fleet of 500 sinister vans marked 'Memory Police'?"
"Uhhh... didn't you get really drunk and requisition them?"
"Yeah, probably."

"No, but seriously, what is with the pits full of bodies?"

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Vinylshadow posted:

Ten minutes in GMOD with what limited models I could scrounge up

Honestly surprised there was a 12th Doctor model, albeit without faceposing, otherwise I'd have given him his delightful grin

God, don't tease me with what could be.

edit: Barney is the Doctor really. See ya when I see ya! *vworp*

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Well, at least that storyline's over. Where to begin? The Doctor is only pretending to be working with the Monks but he still tells people to turn in family members for summary execution. Apparently no one wonders what happened over the past six months or where those family members went. The Monks take over the world but don't do anything but stand around. And is "the Monks" really the best name the writers could think of?

Cleretic posted:

Just because he's the man who never would doesn't mean he won't let other people.

It was a bit ridiculous that he refuses to kill Missy for whatever reason but then intimidates the executioners by telling them to look up all the people he actually did kill. Guess he had no problem killing any of them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that makes sense.

He knows drat well if he kills the Master that just means the Master would pop up somewhere else, likely wearing a ridiculous beard.

The Master has been killed every way you could possibly kill some one, up to and including being executed by the Daleks and turned to ash. Hell, the Doctor has burned the Master's body to ash *TWICE* now.

The Doctor just wants to keep the Master some where he can keep an eye on her.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm still waiting for an explanation for why they drive around in Egyptian Pyramids.

Edit: Which are referred to as Cathedrals.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 5, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This was originally a Stargate crossover.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lots of planets have an Egypt.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That episode would have been a lot better if they'd taken out the armband soldiers (focusing more on the Monks controlling people through "brainwaves" which is just thinly veiled sci-fi magic for propaganda) and if they hadn't gone with the very long regeneration fake-out at the beginning. I had low enough expectations that I actually kind of liked it, though. The design of the weird media pyramid thing was way more interesting than the Monks, Michelle Gomez is always good, and Nardole continues to do his weird little job without feeling like he's wearing out his welcome. I think if they had abstracted this thing from the three-parter and just opened with "Somehow history has been changed," it also would have been pretty okay.

On to Gatiss and then the Rona Munro return.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

What was all the bullshit about the monks not knowing how their own telepathy control system running through Bill's head worked? So much weird nonsense being talked about to fill time this episode, it seemed. I liked everything Nardole did, and the doctor's speech about being disappointed at the world regressing was another thing to add to the pile of political angst this season of Who seems to be built on, which is cool. But the good moments didn't really string together a lot of ill-defined non-specific spooking mostly there only to fool the audience and standing around talking technojargon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

echoplex posted:

God, don't tease me with what could be.

edit: Barney is the Doctor really. See ya when I see ya! *vworp*
The train he leaves on at the end of Episode One was his TARDIS, clearly

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I wouldn't have expected the weakest part of this to be written by Toby Whithouse but here we are.

I dunno, I actually liked the first two parts quite a lot, but the conclusion felt really rushed, and the "regeneration" felt like it was more about fooling the real world press than serving the story. (And everyone laughing at Bill's genuine distress after shooting the Doctor felt really off to me.)

I do like that the Doctor is (possibly even successfully) rehabilitating Missy though.

Is the reason Bill's memory of her mother broke the Monks' power that it was created by the Doctor on a whim and thus wasn't ever part of the Monks' simulations?

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
I set up a discord server real quick to replace the old #mrrock irc channel since it's been dead for a while. Will assign mods and junk eventually https://discord.gg/xHy68gT

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

the "regeneration" felt like it was more about fooling the real world press than serving the story.

Yeah, it didn't make any sense, it was there to pull a quick "gotcha" on the audience and Bill.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

remusclaw posted:

I'm still waiting for an explanation for why they drive around in Egyptian Pyramids.

Edit: Which are referred to as Cathedrals.

Given all the little ways things don't line up here -- the Monks don't speak, for one -- I really wonder just how much of this script's problems come down to Moffat loving up the big picture.

(I think, if you look at it as a standalone, this episode is actually fine.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

docbeard posted:

Is the reason Bill's memory of her mother broke the Monks' power that it was created by the Doctor on a whim and thus wasn't ever part of the Monks' simulations?

The Monks' mind control could only affect memory, which is why her trying to directly overpower them didn't work. Bill doesn't remember her mother, though, she's just imagined her mother to be the person she wishes she wasso it's an entirely different part of her brain, one the Monks couldn't fend off.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

docbeard posted:

(And everyone laughing at Bill's genuine distress after shooting the Doctor felt really off to me.)

The fact that one guy didn't put blanks in being a fun throwaway line was a bit of a weird tone thing too. Hey, Bill, lol, you could have been tricked into ACTUALLY shooting him and not just fake shooting him!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it didn't make any sense, it was there to pull a quick "gotcha" on the audience and Bill.

It's the Doctor, when isn't he theatrical?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

It's the Doctor, when isn't he theatrical?

I'm pretty sure that's solely a characteristic of the revival, classic Doctors would never stoop to cheap theatricality!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
IIRC, UNIT soldiers guarding the Third's TARDIS had to be explicitly ordered to load live rounds (which implies that they use blanks by default).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ephemeron posted:

IIRC, UNIT soldiers guarding the Third's TARDIS had to be explicitly ordered to load live rounds (which implies that they use blanks by default).

See, I can easily see "no live rounds" being at the Doctor's insistence. Mind you I can also see the Brig saying "sod that".

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

See, I can easily see "no live rounds" being at the Doctor's insistence. Mind you I can also see the Brig saying "sod that".

"They never were immune to bullets, Brrrrigadier, I've been swapping your ammo for years." :chord:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

"They never were immune to bullets, Brrrrigadier, I've been swapping your ammo for years." :chord:

That would REALLY upset Chunky Gilmore.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicyclops posted:

, and Nardole continues to do his weird little job without feeling like he's wearing out his welcome.

Right now I feel as if I could watch Nardole wander around the TARDIS and do his thing on the fringes of stories for years, even if he just replaces the Sonic Screwdriver and Sentient TARDIS plot-solving maguffins.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Right now I feel as if I could watch Nardole wander around the TARDIS and do his thing on the fringes of stories for years, even if he just replaces the Sonic Screwdriver and Sentient TARDIS plot-solving maguffins.

Give me a Semi-Reformed Missy & Nardole spinoff when Capaldi leaves. I do not ask for much, and I feel this is reasonable.

Ultimately, I think this three-parter was a collection of ideas and set pieces, many of which worked very well on their own, that didn't quite fit together as a satisfying whole. And the last episode desperately needed an editing pass or something. (Which, as I mentioned, shocked the hell out of me because Toby Whithouse is usually one of my favorite Who writers.

Mind you, if that's the worst this season has to offer, I'm really not going to complain.

(I'm also secretly glad we got a Power of Love ending, because those make a certain sort of nerd EXTREMELY ANGRY).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I want to see Nardole doing the job he was hired to do - the Doctor tries to do something grandiose and stupid and Nardole just starts beating the poo poo out of him until he agrees to come up with a new plan.

• Locked thread