Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's actually a real ship too

:psyduck:

Definitely a premium though, Gangut to Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya is the battleship version of Svietlana to Krasny Krym

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

NTRabbit posted:

It's actually a real ship too

:psyduck:

Definitely a premium though, Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya to Gangut is the battleship version of Krasny Krym to Svietlana

Holy poo poo. I thought at first that had to be a paper ship.

Also, I don't know why, but I seem to be doing much better in the Gearing than in the Fletcher.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I don't mind them putting more Russian battleships in the game so long as they don't try and pretend they can make a whole tree out of the things. There were some fascinating and weird things on the slipways of Russia, which I actually enjoy seeing in the game because so few of them saw actual combat, but they didn't even have enough paper designs to make a full tree, fewer that got laid down, and even fewer that actually launched.

That thing is cool, and I'm probably going to hate fighting it. It looks like it'll have similar excellent firing arcs as the Imperator Nikolai I, but with fewer 360 degree turrets and more superstructure for fires to catch on.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Almost to the last node of the Bismark with only a day left. It's gonna be a rough grind tomorrow, but I think I can pull it off.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Big McHuge posted:

Almost to the last node of the Bismark with only a day left. It's gonna be a rough grind tomorrow, but I think I can pull it off.

Just remember, as has been said multiple times on here, you can repeat missions as many times as you want, you just don't get the reward after the first.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I have no idea what is going on today. I do not believe I have ever seen this level of fail....ever. It's absurd.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I finished it today. The "Destroy 5 German battleships" one wasn't as hard as I had thought it would be because they're so popular. And a lot of their captains suck. It's worth three stars.

I did that plus the two "gain XP" ones and it didn't take too long. I got most of my damage for the final task in the Warspite. It's so consistent with its accuracy and power that putting up good games with it is easy.

I celebrated completing the quest by playing a bunch of Nikolai games and running roughshod over a bunch of innocent tier 3s and 4s.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Seven goddamn games to get a single win in the FdG tonight. Seven. And the win wasn't even a particularly good one. Just garbage team after garbage team. Especially liked the one where I scored a pathetic 7k damage... and still finished 6th on the team. Not a single enemy ship was sunk in that game.

Still, finally finished... and then I followed that "wonderful" string with THIS game.

...At least that got me my daily High Caliber and Kraken, or that's what I'm telling myself. Not terribly happy with just the constant poo poo teams tonight.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lost 7 out of 8 games. 6 of them in a full platoon with Yoursheperd trying to drag the team to victory. I'm sorry for somehow going full potato in those games. Higher tiers were insanely terrible.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

I don't mind them putting more Russian battleships in the game so long as they don't try and pretend they can make a whole tree out of the things. There were some fascinating and weird things on the slipways of Russia, which I actually enjoy seeing in the game because so few of them saw actual combat, but they didn't even have enough paper designs to make a full tree, fewer that got laid down, and even fewer that actually launched.

That thing is cool, and I'm probably going to hate fighting it. It looks like it'll have similar excellent firing arcs as the Imperator Nikolai I, but with fewer 360 degree turrets and more superstructure for fires to catch on.

Nikolai doesn't have 360 turrets. She has 4x3 forward facing turrets. So this ship similar, but with the rear facing aft this time. Also tier5 instead of 4. This new ship has more than some marines shooting into the air for AA coverage.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

MikeC posted:

Historically, Torp bombers had it rough with AA and don't drop at point blank range, in formation to making walls of torpedoes. They usually had to duck and weave, drop at a considerable range to not commit suicide. Airborne torpedo hit rates were not great historically. Allow manual drops at all levels so if you want to go for that suicide run, your planes will probably all die before they all drop and even if they do drop, its a dodgable spread at some range rather than an interpenetrate wall.

The problem is, historically 5,000 ton Destroyers didn't handle like speedboats which is basically what is happening in WoW. IRL a DD probably handles like a WoW Cruiser, and a Cruiser like a WoW BB. If you drop from far away like you say, you won't even hit a Kurfurst.

Edit: I can't remember where I read it but apparently the Yamato was completely removed from a battle once because it suspected a DD had launched torpedos and by the time it turned to avoid them then kept going to be sure, it was totally away from the scene of the battle. Like half a day or something mad.

Edit 2: In 1940 BBs were the pride of all navies and the most important ships in the world. Within 3 years they had been rendered completely obsolete. I am not even a huge fan of CVs but some recognition has to be given to their place in the game. The balance may not be right by any means at all tiers but consider that AAA in the game at T7+ is also far more effective than it was IRL and CVs if anything are less effective than they would be if it was a simulation. On the other hand, the likes of the Yamato never stood a chance vs the US CVs but I believe it took around 250 planes a number of hours to sink it while it only shot down about 10 planes. In the game thats called two strikes.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 6, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Seven goddamn games to get a single win in the FdG tonight. Seven. And the win wasn't even a particularly good one. Just garbage team after garbage team. Especially liked the one where I scored a pathetic 7k damage... and still finished 6th on the team. Not a single enemy ship was sunk in that game.

Still, finally finished... and then I followed that "wonderful" string with THIS game.

...At least that got me my daily High Caliber and Kraken, or that's what I'm telling myself. Not terribly happy with just the constant poo poo teams tonight.

If your Khaba didn't detonate, he needs to sell his ship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

Nikolai doesn't have 360 turrets. She has 4x3 forward facing turrets. So this ship similar, but with the rear facing aft this time. Also tier5 instead of 4. This new ship has more than some marines shooting into the air for AA coverage.

The new one also looks like it has worse firing angles for the amidships turrets than Nikolai

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This thing looks cool as gently caress, but it bothers me that the middle turret is the elevated one. If the front one was a bit further from the other two and the rear one was the elevated one it'd look cooler, and all three turrets could fire forward beyond a certain range where the middle turret's guns would be elevated enough to fire over the front one.

I mean I'm sure there was an actual real world reason they were arranged like that, I'm just upset over my cool toyship aesthetics. :argh:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Nordick posted:

This thing looks cool as gently caress, but it bothers me that the middle turret is the elevated one. If the front one was a bit further from the other two and the rear one was the elevated one it'd look cooler, and all three turrets could fire forward beyond a certain range where the middle turret's guns would be elevated enough to fire over the front one.

I mean I'm sure there was an actual real world reason they were arranged like that, I'm just upset over my cool toyship aesthetics. :argh:

Sorry to disappoint you but the Minotaur has the exact turret arrangement you're asking about, but the middle gun in the arrangement doesn't fire straight forward. Given the blast from a battleship's main guns is so much more... well, MORE, it probably wouldn't work out for one of them either.

Also, if I had to guess, the reason they were arranged that way was compactness. It's probably the only way they could actually fit 3 guns in the front at all and keep the ship at a reasonable tonnage, and keep from throwing the front/rear weight balance too far off.

I imagine that ship is gonna be a right motherfucker when it comes to bow tanking.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

kaesarsosei posted:

Edit: I can't remember where I read it but apparently the Yamato was completely removed from a battle once because it suspected a DD had launched torpedos and by the time it turned to avoid them then kept going to be sure, it was totally away from the scene of the battle. Like half a day or something mad.

That was the Battle off Samar. If I'm remembering right it dodged a torpedo but found itself running alongside the drat thing so it had to keep moving away from the battle until the torpedo ran out of power:

Wikipedia posted:

Japanese action reports reveal that Hoel's target was probably Yamato, which turned hard to port to evade a torpedo salvo at 0754 and was forced to run north until the torpedoes ran out of fuel, taking Kurita out of the battle and causing him to lose track of his forces.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's not on the graphic but I'm assuming they're planning the Nelson for T6 if they're going for the KGV at T7. Except it's got 3x3 16" guns. There's no way it should be T8 though so I don't know where it fits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aramoro posted:

It's not on the graphic but I'm assuming they're planning the Nelson for T6 if they're going for the KGV at T7. Except it's got 3x3 16" guns. There's no way it should be T8 though so I don't know where it fits.

Which is why it has no tier on the graphic, they don't know what to do with it either. Suspect it'll be a tier 8 premium now, but then if they want Vanguard at 9 it makes for a busy set of premiums, 6-9 with potential for 4 and 5.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Aramoro posted:

Alternate branch battleship tree :getin:.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Which is why it has no tier on the graphic, they don't know what to do with it either. Suspect it'll be a tier 8 premium now, but then if they want Vanguard at 9 it makes for a busy set of premiums, 6-9 with potential for 4 and 5.

If they make the Nelson-class a T8 they better give it the 622mm Torpedo Tubes as the HMS Rodney was the only Battleship in history to Torpedo another Battleship (The Bismark)

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 6, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aramoro posted:

If they make the Nelson-class a T8 they better give it the 622mm Torpedo Tubes as the HMS Nelson was the only Battleship in history to Torpedo another Battleship (The Bismark)

The alternative is post 1945 refit, with a shitload of Pompoms, Oerlikons, Bofors, and radar

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aramoro posted:

If they make the Nelson-class a T8 they better give it the 622mm Torpedo Tubes as the HMS Nelson was the only Battleship in history to Torpedo another Battleship (The Bismark)

Ahem, HMS Rodney. :spergin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nordick posted:

Trying to make the back turret elevated enough to fire over the other 2 would've snapped the ship in half from weight. Same reason one of the quad turrets on the KGV got replaced with a double turret.

If you want fun Nelson facts, they had orders not to fire the back turret unless it was a genuine war emergency, because it was too close to the bridge and no matter what they did, firing it would cause enough of a backblast to shatter all the bridge's windows.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

El Disco posted:

Ooops, wait that's clearly what I wrote, don't know what you're talking about...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

El Disco posted:

You plonker

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Or, as most people seem to have to say, the HMS Rodney. <twitch> <twitch>

You could say it Triggers me...

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

HMS Rodnol, second of the Nelsol-class fleet oilers.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Up to 106k bonus XP on my Budyonny because I'm too chicken to buy a Shchors while grinding out the last two nodes of this event. On the bright side, only 11k more xp followed by 350k damage and I'll be done.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Clarence posted:

Or, as most people seem to have to say, the HMS Rodney. <twitch> <twitch>

You could say it Triggers me...

I'm phone posting from work and don't feel like typing out the italic tags. I 100% would have added them if posting from home.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rorac posted:

Sorry to disappoint you but the Minotaur has the exact turret arrangement you're asking about, but the middle gun in the arrangement doesn't fire straight forward.
Okay, but it would look like it potentially could, and that would soothe me. :v:

Night10194 posted:

Trying to make the back turret elevated enough to fire over the other 2 would've snapped the ship in half from weight. Same reason one of the quad turrets on the KGV got replaced with a double turret.

If you want fun Nelson facts, they had orders not to fire the back turret unless it was a genuine war emergency, because it was too close to the bridge and no matter what they did, firing it would cause enough of a backblast to shatter all the bridge's windows.

Goddamn pesky laws of physics always getting in the way of aesthetics

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nordick posted:

Goddamn pesky laws of physics always getting in the way of aesthetics

At the same time, it's a British ship, so you can always imagine the officers in the bridge having a fancy cake party that you ruin every time you fire all the guns.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

Our Hood told me he carried the team and also getting High Caliber in a Sims was really easy :smith:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Lord Koth posted:

How do you load up your Fat Freddy? I am not liking this ship at all.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Royal Navy players should get an achievement if you get sunk in a RN BB on every map in the game. Call it the "Historical Bias" achievement.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

According to the patch notes, the new co-op missions have no detonations and no friendly fire except for collision damage. :unsmith:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MikeC posted:

How do you load up your Fat Freddy? I am not liking this ship at all.

It's not exactly clicking for me yet either, though the absolute garbage teams I had to work with certainly didn't help. Anyways, mine is still completely stock so I'll just have to wait and see how it is with top hull and guns.

In terms of modules, I'm running:
Slot 1: Auxiliary Armaments Mod. 1 - Really, I just happened to have one for free so this is more experimentation than anything else. Besides, not really having an issue with my main guns being knocked out.
Slot 2: Secondary Battery Mod. 2 - Blatantly obvious pick for high tier German BB
Slot 3: ??? - Buying the 3 million credit module would have put me too close to 0 for my liking, so skipped it for now. Besides, I'm undecided what to put here.
Slot 4: DamCon System Mod. 1 - Duh.
Slot 5: Steering Gears Mod. 2 - Anything to get my turning circle down to something even vaguely reasonable (it's still not, but at least it's closer!).
Slot 6: Concealment System Mod. 1 - Concealment is still terrible at 15km, but still seems to be of more use than the other one.

Really, relatively standard German BB picks. Only one I'm undecided on is slot 3, because while Secondary Battery Mod. 3 does seem an obvious choice, I'm not entirely sure the benefit is large enough to outweigh the usefulness of Main Battery Mod. 3 - especially once I pick up the 420mm guns.

For captain skills, I moved over my longtime Tirpitz captain, so I'm sitting at 15 pts.
T1: Preventive Maintenance - Theory was to hopefully reduce the likelihood of getting secondaries knocked out, but over time I've debated whether it's really worth it. Still, spending a bunch of doubloons to respec to something else at T1 isn't exactly high on my priority list.
T2: Adrenaline Rush - Great skill, and German turret traverse is reasonable enough for me to put it ahead of the other obvious T2 choice(Expert Marksman). May eventually pick that up, points allowing
T3: Basic Firing Training - Similarly to Preventive Maintenance, I've come to wonder whether there wasn't a better pick. Once again it seems decent enough though, and I am reluctant to pay the respec cost for this captain.
T4: Advanced Firing Training & Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament - A no brainer.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Finally got my Bismark. Thanks for the tips about re-doing old missions, that helped a lot, even though it was still a fuckton of grinding. Should I get AFT or MFC first at level 10?

Also, unrelated, I have about 140k xp on my Buddonny now that I might convert with dubloons. Is the Shchors enjoyable or should I just skip to the Chapy?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Finally got my Bismark. Thanks for the tips about re-doing old missions, that helped a lot, even though it was still a fuckton of grinding. Should I get AFT or MFC first at level 10?

Also, unrelated, I have about 140k xp on my Buddonny now that I might convert with dubloons. Is the Shchors enjoyable or should I just skip to the Chapy?

Put IFHE on the Schors and deal 4k volleys from 16km away while lighting all the dudes on fire. Try to avoid being shot at especially when turning. While I enjoyed playing the Buddy more than the Schors...I would say the Schors shouldn't be skipped because it continues to teach you how to drive a Soviet cruiser.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 7, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Lord Koth posted:

It's not exactly clicking for me yet either, though the absolute garbage teams I had to work with certainly didn't help. Anyways, mine is still completely stock so I'll just have to wait and see how it is with top hull and guns.

In terms of modules, I'm running:
Slot 1: Auxiliary Armaments Mod. 1 - Really, I just happened to have one for free so this is more experimentation than anything else. Besides, not really having an issue with my main guns being knocked out.
Slot 2: Secondary Battery Mod. 2 - Blatantly obvious pick for high tier German BB
Slot 3: ??? - Buying the 3 million credit module would have put me too close to 0 for my liking, so skipped it for now. Besides, I'm undecided what to put here.
Slot 4: DamCon System Mod. 1 - Duh.
Slot 5: Steering Gears Mod. 2 - Anything to get my turning circle down to something even vaguely reasonable (it's still not, but at least it's closer!).
Slot 6: Concealment System Mod. 1 - Concealment is still terrible at 15km, but still seems to be of more use than the other one.

Really, relatively standard German BB picks. Only one I'm undecided on is slot 3, because while Secondary Battery Mod. 3 does seem an obvious choice, I'm not entirely sure the benefit is large enough to outweigh the usefulness of Main Battery Mod. 3 - especially once I pick up the 420mm guns.

For captain skills, I moved over my longtime Tirpitz captain, so I'm sitting at 15 pts.
T1: Preventive Maintenance - Theory was to hopefully reduce the likelihood of getting secondaries knocked out, but over time I've debated whether it's really worth it. Still, spending a bunch of doubloons to respec to something else at T1 isn't exactly high on my priority list.
T2: Adrenaline Rush - Great skill, and German turret traverse is reasonable enough for me to put it ahead of the other obvious T2 choice(Expert Marksman). May eventually pick that up, points allowing
T3: Basic Firing Training - Similarly to Preventive Maintenance, I've come to wonder whether there wasn't a better pick. Once again it seems decent enough though, and I am reluctant to pay the respec cost for this captain.
T4: Advanced Firing Training & Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament - A no brainer.

I am finding the secondaries do very little at T9 and T10. Its just so dangerous to close now and 10.6 secondaries own when you are playing vs T7 and T6 ships but don't seem to do nearly as much vs the higher stuff. Currently using the 406s with the reload mod in slot 3. Let me know how the 420s perform. Not using them since it doesn't really add overmatching to much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
So I ended up in a Podvoisky in a mostly Tier VII match grumbling about my luck after losing in DDs all night. I decided I was hosed, might as well see how close I can get to the enemy Saipan. I was on the right side so I went pretty close to the border.

Turns out, uh... a lot closer than I think anyone thought... I figured I was dead so launched just in range, and he backed out of my first wave of torps. Guns took for loving ever, but they still did a third of the damage to him.

CV happened to be on the right. The rest of the enemy team mostly went to the left side, with the top Scharnhorst on their side traveling close to the coast south with a Farragut.

While that happened, the Scharnhorst on our team went up the middle of Two Brothers and murdered everything, because he popped out behind them and played really well.

This match is perhaps the strangest one I've ever seen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 7, 2017