Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

does britain have a media blackout for the last couple days of the election like france does, or will the campaigning continue up through thursday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Man i'm stoked to see how this all plays out.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

SKULL.GIF posted:

does britain have a media blackout for the last couple days of the election like france does, or will the campaigning continue up through thursday?

As far as I'm aware it's just election day when the media campaign is suspended.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

anyone else have the same solution? https://youtu.be/74DeoFjmA74

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
boy oh boy i am so sad that Owen "dick pill merchant" Smith isnt the leader of the Labour party

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Top City Homo posted:

boy oh boy i am so sad that Owen "dick pill merchant" Smith isnt the leader of the Labour party

he is very normal though

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_oMeLzAe4w

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is exstremely grim reading

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/06/05/polls-labours-surging-non-london-doorstep-its-a-nuclear-winter-for-labour-somethings-got-to-give/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gently caress her

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The beautiful thing about this is when he nearly wins it will bring the party into line, the after 2 years of a Tory minority government consisting of racists sucking up to Donald trump another election will be called against a Labor that will win.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Just another reminder that this is the website of Luke Akehurst, professional Corbyn hater and guy who been proven wrong more often than Pissflaps

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think the last election and the Trump election has shown concerns about polling though, exactly how reliable it is at showing voter intentions.

The idea expressed is that poll respondents aren't really being honest with pollsters, and the expression of who they will vote for is less a promise, and more a reaction to current events. So people say they will vote labor, if they think the tory manifesto is embarrassing, but when they actually get in the booth they vote conservative. That sounds kind of reasonable tbh, especially with how hard the poll has swung so quickly.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I lust for tory meltdowns

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Give it 3 years when the brexit negotiations have gone fully to poo poo and we'll see some tory meltdowns. In the mean time it's Labour who are going to be flipping out (rightly so) that stupid old people who voted for Brexit are going to coronate someone who wants to take their house if they get 1 iota more retarded.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

dementia tax is something an American C.H.U.D. would write for their nightmarish liberal dystopia

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
tax me im demented

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

FPTP means the polls dont matter and the Tories will get a majority either way.

Stop psyching yourselves up for Corbyn to do well, I don't know if you remember 2015 but the entirety of England always votes Tory.

I think its even pretty likely May gets a landslide still just because this country is intensely poo poo

The multiple terror attacks May has let in are just going to give her more points, most people will have heard Jezza is a terrorist at this point. The idea that loads of people are going to change their minds in just a couple days because Jeremy gives some salient points that the news doesn't report on is blind faith.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/BBC_Cumbria/status/871641385639837696

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Tories are gonna win by like 10 because polls are terrible

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Theresa May is campaigning poorly enough to make leftists think they might actually win something, before she crushes you and demoralizes you for a decade

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/britainelects/s...r%3D128%23pti10

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

oh good lol

https://twitter.com/JonathanPlaid/s...r%3D128%23pti10

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

lmao, despite being far less optimistic for Labour than YouGov's projection, it still has Nick Clegg losing his seat. At least we'll have that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol Labour are so hosed. Even if Corbyn wins he still has to ruin the country by doing Brexit and therefore ensure there isn't another Labour government for generations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/st...er%3D129%23pti2

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

rudatron posted:

I think the last election and the Trump election has shown concerns about polling though, exactly how reliable it is at showing voter intentions.

The idea expressed is that poll respondents aren't really being honest with pollsters, and the expression of who they will vote for is less a promise, and more a reaction to current events. So people say they will vote labor, if they think the tory manifesto is embarrassing, but when they actually get in the booth they vote conservative. That sounds kind of reasonable tbh, especially with how hard the poll has swung so quickly.

The "shy tory" effect has been compensated by pollsters for this election, if they were using the same methods as 2015 Labour would be ahead right now.

The thing that's loving everything up is the UKIP vote that made up 20% of the vote last time dissolving in multiple directions at once, in different ways depending on the constituency in question. That's why there's such a massive difference between all polls since polling companies reaction is basically :shrug:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/multiplebears/status/871705878919086083

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

so the Tories are actually gonna gain seats from this huh, even if they don't reach the iron phalanx of absolute majority they were hoping for

man, the U.K. sucks something real fierce

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

we went from a 3 party country (although 1 was a fairly small party) to a 2 party country

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I'm looking forward to the PLP arguing that any Labour improvement in the polls just proves how Labour could have done even better without Corbyn.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

just struggling' I guess cause labour's closed the gap so thoroughly, and the Tories already have a majority, to see how these vote totals get us an even larger Tory majority.

maybe I just don't understand the election system. is it like the us house where every time there's an election the deck is cleared and everyone has to run for their seats again? or is there a baked in Tory advantage?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

just struggling' I guess cause labour's closed the gap so thoroughly, and the Tories already have a majority, to see how these vote totals get us an even larger Tory majority.

maybe I just don't understand the election system. is it like the us house where every time there's an election the deck is cleared and everyone has to run for their seats again? or is there a baked in Tory advantage?

Imagine if every county in the United States got to appoint a congressman instead of having representatives be nominated according to districts. All the rural red counties would completely overwhelm the urban blue counties.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Imagine if every county in the United States got to appoint a congressman instead of having representatives be nominated according to districts. All the rural red counties would completely overwhelm the urban blue counties.

well except that parliamentary constituencies are based on population

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

well except that parliamentary constituencies are based on population

Sure, but the geographical divides still apply. You also have to figure that conservative parties will still win urbanized districts that are majority rich or middle class.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

also fptp fundamentally doesn't work

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Helsing posted:

I'm looking forward to the PLP arguing that any Labour improvement in the polls just proves how Labour could have done even better without Corbyn.

Blair is the leader the PLP deserves.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

so it really is like the US house
Rhode Island has 526k people and gets one congressman
Montana has more than a million and gets one congressman

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so it really is like the US house
Rhode Island has 526k people and gets one congressman
Montana has more than a million and gets one congressman

rhode island has a million people and 2 members of congress

please don't take this from them, it's all they have

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lol hope is pointless we are all fuckeeddd once again

also the PRI won in Estado de Mexico, the biggest state so gently caress me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

another big problem labour has is that scotland has a massively disproportionate number of seats to votes and labour are now completely dead there. labour desperately need to bring in PR next time they're in power but no doubt they'll decide its a bad idea because they're in power again