Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya without actual figgies goin on its p hard to tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mishaq posted:

are you really well paid now in which case how the gently caress do you have credit card debt as a computer toucher living in loving wisconsin

or were you lowballed

im so confused

i am really well paid now but i had to work three jobs and use credit cards heavily to get through college and ive never quite been able to get ahead of it. ive only been touching computers for 2 years. the 3 before that i wrote documentation for computers which pays about the same as a taco bell shift manager. my life has been very different from the average computer toucher and i think some folks struggle to fully connect with that because of it.

ive basically been fully supporting myself since i was 16. in high school i had to shoplift to eat some days, lol.

im not gonna post specific figgies because apple is not epic levels of clownshoes and that seems like a good way to gently caress myself over.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

i am really well paid now but i had to work three jobs and use credit cards heavily to get through college and ive never quite been able to get ahead of it. ive only been touching computers for 2 years. the 3 before that i wrote documentation for computers which pays about the same as a taco bell shift manager. my life has been very different from the average computer toucher and i think some folks struggle to fully connect with that because of it.

ive basically been fully supporting myself since i was 16. in high school i had to shoplift to eat some days, lol.

fair enough

go get some figgies :unsmith:

cis autodrag posted:

im not gonna post specific figgies because apple is not epic levels of clownshoes and that seems like a good way to gently caress myself over.

definitely not suggesting you should, especially with all the fucktards around here

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
thanks friend :). hopefully tomorrow i will make figgies official.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
don't post your figgies. that's rough to hear about the loss, although i agree that you should still take the job because the value of apple on your resume is so high, and there are lots of companies out here that pay higher, if you don't like it there. changing jobs once you're settled here will be easy. plus you might get promoted, or have more stock grants given to you during the job. i'm curious, do you think the difference is mainly because you are paid very well at epic? or because your housing cost in wisconsin is so low compared to the bay area? or is apple hiring you under a more junior title?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

don't post your figgies. that's rough to hear about the loss, although i agree that you should still take the job because the value of apple on your resume is so high, and there are lots of companies out here that pay higher, if you don't like it there. changing jobs once you're settled here will be easy. plus you might get promoted, or have more stock grants given to you during the job. i'm curious, do you think the difference is mainly because you are paid very well at epic? or because your housing cost in wisconsin is so low compared to the bay area? or is apple hiring you under a more junior title?

its a combo if epic handcuffing you with really high pay for the area and the cheap housing. i bought my place for just over 100k (and its 5 minutes from work) to and i dont have pmi or anything like that, and epic pays probably 40 percent more than the next highest paying company. of course, that doesn't show up on the cost of living numbers apple would be using because epic is privately held so the only numbers published are the h1b guys who are largely trash headcount filler who will be fired after a year or two.

also epics health insurance covers everything with 0 deductible, 0 copay, 0 coinsurance, and no maximum for every single benefit (except trans related procedures but it's the Midwest so you shouldn't be surprised by that). that's hard to beat.

i know a lot of devs here who trapped themselves by having two or three kids before realizing how toxic the management was and realizing they could never give their families the same lifestyle anywhere else, so they grimly count the days to retirement and try to stay under the radar.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

i know a lot of devs here who trapped themselves by having two or three kids before realizing how toxic the management was and realizing they could never give their families the same lifestyle anywhere else, so they grimly count the days to retirement and try to stay under the radar.

this is 99% of all employed people

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am really happy w/ my job right now and saving boatloads of cash and it's an awesome win-win i highly recommend getting new jobs

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mishaq posted:

this is 99% of all employed people

this is why i continue to maintain the budget i had when i was a writer even though I make 3x that now. im making progress on my debts and im never going back to a company having that kind of power over me.

a friend on my team has 250k on savings and he quit with no job lined up because he was sick of the bullshit and he is the freeest and happiest man i have ever meant. he's just gonna sit out for the no compete period and become a contractor because m programmers with epic experience can make twice as much with way less hours as a contractor if they can afford to sit out the 18 month no compete. it's the standard career advancement path for technical services people.

and before you say no competes aren't enforceable, epics contracts with customers and approved contractors forbid them from hiring someone within the no compete period under penalty of fines and the voiding of the contract. they've destroyed at least one contractor group over it already.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

and before you say no competes aren't enforceable, epics contracts with customers and approved contractors forbid them from hiring someone within the no compete period under penalty of fines and the voiding of the contract. they've destroyed at least one contractor group over it already.

lol gently caress epic so hard

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
legit i will have to actively avoid even vaguely saying anything about healthkit for 18 months lest epic attempt to sue me.

the ceo brags at monthly staff meetings when they successfully sue someone too. legit i wish one of you could get hired here for like 3 months as an undercover observer or something just to witness how hosed it is. i have a degree in poetry composition and i do not have the words to convey.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

cis autodrag posted:

p much this. the base is objectively a real nice number, but it's still a net pay cut when you consider that my house costs 600 a month here and day-to-day expenses are cheaper. my napkin math has the COL difference between wisconsin and the bay at around 80%.

pushing for the higher signing bonuses just lets me settle a couple outstanding debts that will make the base pay more livable. i've completely excepted that i'm just never going to have 1600 square feet in the bay until i have like 5 million dollars to sink into a house (and gently caress that, i'm going to retire back to milwaukee when i'm done working).

If the net pay cut is a deal breaker you might want to stop looking in the bay area entirely. Even a solid six and a half figgies is not going to afford you the same lifestyle you would get in the rest of the country.

In my experience, jobs in top tier tech cities only pay slightly more than that one good employer every medium sized city seems to have. In Madison it sounds like that's Epic, in New Orleans (at least recently) its been GE. They pay maybe 80% of what a job in SF/Seattle would pay, but it costs half as much to live in the smaller town.

What you're getting out of that difference in effective pay is more relevant experience, presumably more job satisfaction and most importantly (to me anyway) the freedom that comes with knowing I could get another job in the same area in a few weeks. GE New Orleans, like Epic, has plenty of people who are just there for the money, working on boring excel-but-in-a-webpage applications and counting down the days to retirement, knowing they can't do any better in the area, and I find that extremely depressing.

Anyway, you probably know all of that and have factored it in, I'm just saying if you've gone through all this trouble and have the actual offer from Apple, its not likely another company is going to offer significantly more. Hope they get back to you and make an offer you can't refuse.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

btw in practice the larger companies have relatively fixed pay bands for each employee level, whereas stuff like bonuses and RSUs can be more variable. this would be reflected in the recruiter not being able to move much on base pay

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

before realizing how toxic the management was

rude

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
but not inaccurate

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I interviewed for Microsoft once and I had to explain to the interviewer why binary searching a sorted array was better than searching linearly all values to the right. He still didn't get it at the end. I didn't get that job, lol.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

maybe they were being rhetorically stupid and you failed the test

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hifi posted:

maybe they were being rhetorically stupid and you failed the test

Nope. I gave the guy the correct solution and he repeatedly insisted searching linearly was actually the best solution because you can find the matching value and then quit the search right there, despite there being an obvious worst case which he couldn't seem to grapple with.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fyi it was the question where you have to find which rectangles are contained within another rectangle on the same grid. Child's play.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

oh poo poo I think I'm getting an offer. negotiations and hard decisions (the girlfriend doesn't want to move) are in my future

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

(the girlfriend doesn't want to move)

good luck with this, i had to break up with my boyfriend when i moved to maryland because he wanted to stay in michigan :smith:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

DuckConference posted:

(the girlfriend doesn't want to move)

Story of my wife.

We'll probably have to in the next 5-10 anyway as the job market in this state is absolute poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DuckConference posted:

oh poo poo I think I'm getting an offer. negotiations and hard decisions (the girlfriend doesn't want to move) are in my future

congrats and good luck. hopefully you find the right answer for your relationship.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RISCy Business posted:

good luck with this, i had to break up with my boyfriend when i moved to maryland because he wanted to stay in michigan :smith:

as a gay person in the midwest, why would a gay person want to stay in the midwest?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

or anyone

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

as a gay person in the midwest, why would a gay person want to stay in the midwest?

michigan honestly was never that bad for us

he was more tied down to michigan than i was, it was a lot easier for me to actually pack up and move than it was for him to even think about it

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
idk I'd differentiate the great lakes states from the rest of the midwest because we've got a lot more mid-sized and larger cities that are p dece and even the rural parts at least have woods and lakes you can do fun poo poo in

when I think of the midwest I think of driving through Iowa or some poo poo and wishing for a swarm of locusts to consume all the corn and then my flesh quickly afterward

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ThePeavstenator posted:

idk I'd differentiate the great lakes states from the rest of the midwest because we've got a lot more mid-sized and larger cities that are p dece and even the rural parts at least have woods and lakes you can do fun poo poo in

when I think of the midwest I think of driving through Iowa or some poo poo and wishing for a swarm of locusts to consume all the corn and then my flesh quickly afterward

when I think of Midwest cities I think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
iowa is the worst state

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

without a doubt you are overestimating "a place like" that and underestimating how good you are

i mean, unless you're troy from my first job out of college, gently caress that guy

hi im troy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

iowa is the worst state

actually its alabama

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

RISCy Business posted:

iowa is the worst state

Kansas would like a word with you

also Oklahoma

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

interviewing and job hunting is garbage fyi

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

i used to do this whole "great lakes are different" thing and then i transitioned and found out madison has plenty of hillbillies in head to toe camo who are willing to yell "tranny" at you out of their truck or follow you to the bathroom.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Kansas would like a word with you

oh yeah, i change my answer to this since the election (and reelection) of brownback and the subsequent complete tanking of their economy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

interviewing and job hunting is garbage fyi

yep. so glad I don't have to do it anymore. it was months of emails and phone calls with recruiters, phone screens, online coding tests, and interviews. gently caress that poo poo. my email and call volume has dropped to zero and I'm stoked.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i got an email out of the blue from a recruiter looking to staff a .net consultant in madison. i ignored it but she's sent like 4 more. like jeeze, there's about 4000 other people right here you could probably ask and fill the position.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:argh:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

i got an email out of the blue from a recruiter looking to staff a .net consultant in madison. i ignored it but she's sent like 4 more. like jeeze, there's about 4000 other people right here you could probably ask and fill the position.

If you do end up taking that offer you can expect to get these every 4-6 hours

I've just been dumping them in a folder, may run a markov generator off of them at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Don't expect cold emailed ones to be any good tho, they usually just mean the recruiter doesn't have any good leads and/or the position is crap and they're getting desperate

• Locked thread