Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

What resources were you looking at, anyway? The wikia site isn't great and fextralife is a mess of a website (on multiple counts), but wikidot should be just fine.

As for what humanity/hollowing does in DS2:
-Each level of hollowing gives -5% to your maximum health to a minimum of 50%. (There's a ring available early on to offset this.)
-You need to be human to summon others for co-op (some of the questlines depend on you summoning NPCs for co-op, so it's not just for pulling in other players) or to invade others for PvP (irrelevant in your case).
-Some NPCs will respond differently based on whether you're hollow or not.
-A few pieces of gear have different effects based on how hollow you get. (These will be fairly obvious when you see them and read their descriptions.)

Thank you. Yes, the wiki I found is the fextralife one, and I can tell just by looking at it and not knowing anything about the game that it's not the best. Good to know there's something better, appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Bilal posted:

I just bought SOFS on the PS4 store, since it was on sale a couple of days ago for cheap. I played Dark Souls 1 for less than two hours, so this is effectively my very first DS game. I'm not sure this game is clicking with me so far, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it more as I learn.

What's bothering me is the humanity system. Apparently the humanity system is so self-explanatory and obvious that it's not necessary for anyone on the internet to explain it, because I've spent about twenty minutes googling "humanity + dark souls 2" and the only information I can get on what humanity actually does is from DS1, which has discrete humanity drops and a numerical counter and it's not the same system in DS2 so that doesn't help me at all. I went on the Dark Souls 2 wiki and tried to look it up, but it only explains how to get human effigies to get back into human form without explaining why I'd even need human form.

Here's what I've figured out so far: Humanity restores the part of the health bar that's locked off when you're hollowed, and you have to be human for co-op and PVP. Is that it? I don't have PS plus so I can't even do online features, so humanity is nearly useless for me, am I understanding this right? If that's the case I don't have to bother and can just play the game as a badass green zombie knight dude who I think looks cooler than human form anyway.

Hollowing isn't a simple on/off switch, it's a sliding scale. Every time you die, you become progressively more zombified and lose another chip of your max hp. The penalty caps at 50 %. Using a human effigy will completely remove the penalty, no matter how large it is, so you absolutely benefit from turning human even if you never touch any of the game's online features. That said, there's a ring that greatly reduces the hollowing penalty, so you do have the option of staying in full zombie mode without crippling yourself.

(Hollowing locks you out of some online interactions but not others. If you do get access to multiplayer in the future for whatever reason, you may want to look up how the system works. For now, I'll just note that you can bring an NPC helper to most boss fights if you're in human form.)

e: welp, that's what you get for leaving a tab open

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Hollowing isn't a simple on/off switch, it's a sliding scale. Every time you die, you become progressively more zombified and lose another chip of your max hp. The penalty caps at 50 %. Using a human effigy will completely remove the penalty, no matter how large it is, so you absolutely benefit from turning human even if you never touch any of the game's online features. That said, there's a ring that greatly reduces the hollowing penalty, so you do have the option of staying in full zombie mode without crippling yourself.

(Hollowing locks you out of some online interactions but not others. If you do get access to multiplayer in the future for whatever reason, you may want to look up how the system works. For now, I'll just note that you can bring an NPC helper to most boss fights if you're in human form.)

e: welp, that's what you get for leaving a tab open

e;fb or not, I still appreciate the help :bigtran:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Also you can use the small white soapstone to help someone else out for a little, then be sent back to your world fully human with weapons repaired, estus charges refreshed, and spell casts refreshed. Plus an item to give to the invisible crows. If you use the small stone (not the regular one) you don't need to help the host beat the boss (unless the host starts fighting the boss before your timer/souls earned send you back).

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Paracelsus posted:

Also you can use the small white soapstone to help someone else out for a little, then be sent back to your world fully human with weapons repaired, estus charges refreshed, and spell casts refreshed. Plus an item to give to the invisible crows. If you use the small stone (not the regular one) you don't need to help the host beat the boss (unless the host starts fighting the boss before your timer/souls earned send you back).

Addendum: the above obviously only works if you have online features enabled.

There are some NPCs you can (and should) summon even if you don't have online features, but you're not going to get others summoning you if you're not online.

By the way, as much as I generally dislike multiplayer, Dark Souls is pretty one of hte only game(s) where I really think it adds something enjoyable to the game - if you can get the online features going you'll get more out of it. Just turn off voice chat and communicate via the in-game gestures only like an oldschool boss.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there any circumstance where you can direct a spell parry right back at the caster?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Dark Souls 2 is this months Humble Monthly. Can we expect a resurgence of multiplayer activity?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there any circumstance where you can direct a spell parry right back at the caster?

As far as I'm aware the direction it bounces is random, so you'll have to get lucky for it to happen.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dark Souls 2 is this months Humble Monthly. Can we expect a resurgence of multiplayer activity?

I'll certainly to invade with my very suspicious character, Reliable Pal, around the Harvest Valley and do nothing but actually try and help the hosts. Had a lot of fun doing that, dropping consumables and pointing out secrets.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bogart posted:

I'll certainly to invade with my very suspicious character, Reliable Pal, around the Harvest Valley and do nothing but actually try and help the hosts. Had a lot of fun doing that, dropping consumables and pointing out secrets.

Oh man trusty patches must be reliable pals cousin. What a good guy he was

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Torch in the offhand, hidden great sword > Nashandra statue sword in the main hand in case they get shirty. Except when I lead someone over To a precipice, it's actually to help them depoison the windmill and not to kick them off.

(It's after they hit the bonfire that I kick them off.)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been having some weird issues with Dark Souls 2 lately. I got to the Doors of Pharros but all the Gyrm warriors and rats are frozen in place after the first bonfire. I can move them around, but I can't damage them at all. Has anyone had this bug before?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Have you joined the rat covenant? If so, such behavior is intended so that you can use the local enemies in the rat zones for co-op when drawing someone else in.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah I was confused when I had that happen to me as well. It doesn't help if you're playing offline since you'll never pull anyone into your world and see how the area is supposed to function.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yo

can someone in the 1,500,000 - 1,749,999 soul memory range drop a ruin leggings for me? I've been farming these fuckers for so long. last thing I need.
I have a lot of boss souls I can trade, as well as giant seeds/human effigys

e:nm I just cheated engine'd it in because this was getting ridiculous

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 28, 2017

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
looks like that was it, weird. I've played through this game at least 6 times and never had that happen before.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Why can't I destroy this ashen idol? I have 4 smelter wedges :margeball:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Why can't I destroy this ashen idol? I have 4 smelter wedges :margeball:

Standing in the wrong place maybe?

That's a glitch I've never seen. If you quit out and come back can you still not do it?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
armor's too ugly. get fashionable and come back. sorry

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's an invisible invader curled up in front of the interaction prompt

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hanales posted:

Standing in the wrong place maybe?

That's a glitch I've never seen. If you quit out and come back can you still not do it?
I cannot.

Bogart posted:

armor's too ugly. get fashionable and come back. sorry
fuk u this helmet looks good as hell with this armor

I wish I could actually get ruin sentinel shield though instead of settling for mastodon greatshield. it's a good shield at least

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

This is a fine message.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I just finished Nashandra and have been teleported back to Majula, how do I know if my guy re-kindled the bonfire?? He just sat on the throne and the door closed?? What is this ending?

Also, can I go and do the DLC now, or is my only option to start "journey 2"? Can I go and do Vendrick + Adria or am I locked out of the alt. ending now that Nashandra is dead?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cloud the Cat posted:

I just finished Nashandra and have been teleported back to Majula, how do I know if my guy re-kindled the bonfire?? He just sat on the throne and the door closed?? What is this ending?

Also, can I go and do the DLC now, or is my only option to start "journey 2"? Can I go and do Vendrick + Adria or am I locked out of the alt. ending now that Nashandra is dead?

You can go do the DLC and talk to Vendrick in his memory but I think you can only do the bonus end boss if you beat the DLCs before beating Nashandra.

There's no actual bonfire rekindling, the ending is weird.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cloud the Cat posted:

• The ending you got is that you chose to take the throne and thus to decide whether to rekindle the flame or extinguish it. But either way, by making such a decision you're perpetuating the cycles of Fire and of Dark. (Listen to Straid, the Emerald Herald, Vendrick, and Aldia for discussion on this.)
  • You can do the DLC now. You are not forced into continuing to NG+, as with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne.
  • You are not locked out of seeing the alternate ending. To be able to access it in the first place, you have to defeat Vendrick before you fight Nashandra. Right now, Nashandra's dead, so you'll have to reset that encounter. To do so, you must use an ascetic on the King's Gate bonfire in Drangleic Castle to reset all the Throne of Want bosses. (Don't worry, you can quit in between each one so you're not just in a crazy boss rush.)
  • That said, getting all three crowns from the DLC/killing Vendrick/accessing his memory in the Undead Crypt through use of the Ashen Mist Heart will shed some light on what's going on, and what the alternate ending actually means.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bearer of the Curse. Seek souls. Stronger, more powerful souls.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

• The ending you got is that you chose to take the throne and thus to decide whether to rekindle the flame or extinguish it. But either way, by making such a decision you're perpetuating the cycles of Fire and of Dark. (Listen to Straid, the Emerald Herald, Vendrick, and Aldia for discussion on this.)
  • You can do the DLC now. You are not forced into continuing to NG+, as with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne.
  • You are not locked out of seeing the alternate ending. To be able to access it in the first place, you have to defeat Vendrick before you fight Nashandra. Right now, Nashandra's dead, so you'll have to reset that encounter. To do so, you must use an ascetic on the King's Gate bonfire in Drangleic Castle to reset all the Throne of Want bosses. (Don't worry, you can quit in between each one so you're not just in a crazy boss rush.)
  • That said, getting all three crowns from the DLC/killing Vendrick/accessing his memory in the Undead Crypt through use of the Ashen Mist Heart will shed some light on what's going on, and what the alternate ending actually means.

Excellent, thank you very much :)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I just picked this up. Should I be using a controller? I am getting by just fine with keyboard and mouse, but it seems it wants me to use a controller.

Also, I'm completely lost and terrible and died at least 15 times already. Any starter tips?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I used KB+m during invasions because it made aiming witha great bows a bit easier. But othervise id just go controller because im more used to playing souls games with that. If you can manage KB+mouse then just go with it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Use a controller if you have one. KBM support isn't as bad as in the first game and it's definitely playable, but the game is still totally designed around controllers.

How basic of tips are you looking for? The best way to avoid dying in these games is to manage your stamina, because without it you can't dodge roll, you can't block, and you can't attack. Never let stamina bottom out in mid-fight unless you know you have time for it to regenerate. Mashing buttons won't help you most of the time. This game in particular has a pretty measured pace and tends to punish panic.

Game specific tips:
-the mace is good against armored enemies. A lot of enemies in this game are armored, so it might be a good idea to pick up a mace. The hub blacksmith will sell you one, as soon as you find his keys.
-level Adaptability up first. It makes your dodge roll better and the dodge roll is your best friend.
-don't join the Covenant of Champions unless you want the game to be harder.
-estus flasks are for healing under pressure. Lifegems are for healing between fights. To start out your estus is weak and you only have one flask, so keep an eye out for upgrades.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I am still in Majulia or whatever it is.. and I cannot get past these giant armored knights that 3 shot me. So I tried going elsewhere and some skeleton zombie thing killed me. Basically I am terrible.

e: Also these three little pigs chased me around town until I died.

Polish fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 1, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Polish posted:

I am still in Majulia or whatever it is.. and I cannot get past these giant armored knights that 3 shot me. So I tried going elsewhere and some skeleton zombie thing killed me. Basically I am terrible.

Yeah that's Heide. You will need to go there eventually but for a new player I'd recommend going to the Forest of Fallen Giants first.

What class did you start as? Got a shield?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Warrior.. yeah a little shield. Still trying to figure out combat better.. the roll seems a little janky. Like I will attack and then go to roll, but my dude will stand there a second before the roll will go into effect and just get clobbered.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Rolls have "invincibility frames" at the start of the animation which makes you immune to damage for a split second. If you time it right you can roll past (or through), instead of away, when you are dodging to leave yourself in a position to retalitate.

If you didn't roll immediately you were probably out of stamina. Also try to keep your equip load down because you will roll further. Blocking also drains stamina and can stagger you if the hit zeroed it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Improving your Agility increases the frame count of the invincibility, which is critical if you rely on rolls. Adaptability increases AGI by a lot, Attunement by a little bit.

The magic number for AGI in the early game is 99, because you only see improvements at certain break points. The next one is at 105 but that takes a fair bit more investment.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Polish posted:

I just picked this up. Should I be using a controller? I am getting by just fine with keyboard and mouse, but it seems it wants me to use a controller.
Try both and use whatever you're most comfortable with. I played all Dark Souls games with keyboard & mouse: They do require some fiddling and fixing to get it set up right, but it's perfectly playable.

Note that for some weird reason From made it so you can not just bind something to a mouse-click, but also to a double-click. So every time you click, the game waits to see if you're going for a double-click, resulting in an annoying delay.
They patched in a "Disable double clicking" option in the menu that solves this, however it's glitched and you'll need to re-enable that option every time you boot the game. I don't recall if they solved that in SotFS. Alternatively you can use a simple autohotkey script that binds the mouse buttons to the keyboard attack keys and have that script launch automatically with the game to fix it permanently.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Polish posted:

e: Also these three little pigs chased me around town until I died.

Darksouls2.txt

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Darksouls2.txt

Really it's one of the funniest things they put in in any of the games. That and making the skellies in the mansion good at parrying.

Even better if you get the gold pigs in the nashandra fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hanales posted:

Even better if you get the gold pigs in the nashandra fight

The what now?