Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've got a weird question--apart from the opening cutscene, are there very many faction-specific cutscenes in this game?

I ask because I noticed that if you use a custom race, it won't play the opening cutscene for your faction. I'm wondering if you miss on others later down the line that way too. I like tweaking the races with custom traits, but I also like the flavor that the cutscenes add, so I'm in a conundrum, unless the only one that plays is in the beginning, then I can just watch it real quick the one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've got a weird question--apart from the opening cutscene, are there very many faction-specific cutscenes in this game?

There's a victory cutscene.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cease to Hope posted:

There's a victory cutscene.

Is it like EL where it's just your race's leader cut and pasted into the middle of the same generic victory scene?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Is it like EL where it's just your race's leader cut and pasted into the middle of the same generic victory scene?

No. it's individual to each civ and about as involved as the opener.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got a wonder victory and all I got was a little thing telling me I won, nothing else :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

No. it's individual to each civ and about as involved as the opener.

Good to know, thanks--if it's just the two, then that's probably easy enough to look up on youtube. Or I could just play the game normally or whatever

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Good to know, thanks--if it's just the two, then that's probably easy enough to look up on youtube. Or I could just play the game normally or whatever

There's a folder in the game's file that just has all the videos if you want to peep.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Baronjutter posted:

I got a wonder victory and all I got was a little thing telling me I won, nothing else :(

You only get it if you go to the score window. If you choose to keep playing you don't get it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's separate achievements for winning as default civs, if that's a thing you care about.

Speaking of caring about things, Lumeris kind of suck! Buying colonies always costs more than just settling them with a colony ship, and buying/selling colonies is useless. They have kind of the same problem as Sophons where everyone either bootstraps atypically fast (Cravers, Unfallen, Horatio) or has some sort of ruthless midgame engine (Vodyani, UE) while they just do a thing anyone can do but 5% more efficiently.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Antti posted:

You only get it if you go to the score window. If you choose to keep playing you don't get it.

poo poo yeah I kept playing because I was like 3 turns away from seeing the academy quest ending. I picked to stop this ancient race being reborn because gently caress I don't have enough info are they going to enslave us all or something? Sorry weird dude living in space ruins I don't really trust you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cease to Hope posted:

There's separate achievements for winning as default civs, if that's a thing you care about.

Speaking of caring about things, Lumeris kind of suck! Buying colonies always costs more than just settling them with a colony ship, and buying/selling colonies is useless. They have kind of the same problem as Sophons where everyone either bootstraps atypically fast (Cravers, Unfallen, Horatio) or has some sort of ruthless midgame engine (Vodyani, UE) while they just do a thing anyone can do but 5% more efficiently.

Well, I don't know if they can compete with the Unfallen, but Pacifists are basically amazing at everything if you just bribe everyone into peace. You can even get people to stop a war by giving them money, so there's no risk of not being at peace.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Clarste posted:

Well, I don't know if they can compete with the Unfallen, but Pacifists are basically amazing at everything if you just bribe everyone into peace. You can even get people to stop a war by giving them money, so there's no risk of not being at peace.

Anyone can do this, though, without needing to set aside a significant amount of dust income for colonies/minors.

Except maybe Cravers I guess, although someone was talking about pacifist Cravers a few dozen pages back.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It can't be working as intended but whenever a civ asks me for tribute I just give them like 10 dust and they're happy for at least 5 turns. Feels like cheating.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Antti posted:

It can't be working as intended but whenever a civ asks me for tribute I just give them like 10 dust and they're happy for at least 5 turns. Feels like cheating.

It's sort of weird that they don't ask you for something specific. Give us 500 dust right now, yes/no ?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
The only time the AI interacts with me other than to declare war is just them randomly saying "What are you doing?"

I don't know.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Midnightghoul posted:

The only time the AI interacts with me other than to declare war is just them randomly saying "What are you doing?"

I don't know.

Fly a single scout with a single machine gun around,
"hey get your military force away from me"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SilverMike posted:

Fly a single scout with a single machine gun around,
"hey get your military force away from me"

I miss-clicked and sent a single scout across the galaxy. It resulted in 2 broken peace treaties and 1 declaration of war. If your borders aren't closed and we're not at cold-war I should be able to send ships, specially exploration ships, through friends territory without it upsetting them so much.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I even made a scout variant with no weapons or defenses at all and the AI empires still freak out about them being warships.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So how does this game compare to Endless Legend at launch?

Top Steam reviews seem quite mixed.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Gammymajams posted:

Anyone ever had their food surplus start converting to industry once their planets fill up? I don't have the tech that makes this happen, and it seems really overpowered. I'm pretty sure it must be a bug, I'm Horatio if that matters.

I'm pretty certain I've had it before from an Assimilation trait if not a pop collection trait. The former will stay with you even if the pop doesn't.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

The real Lumeris faction ability isn't that they get outposts with Dust, it's that they spend Dust instead of Influence to get minor factions. It's a strong one. Throw a few hundred Dust at a minor faction, and in ten turns it will pay back your investment, provide you with a hefty Dust/Science income going forward and unlock the quest to assimilate it. Meanwhile, you're saving all your Influence to get peace treaties: the 15% FIDSI boost per treaty from Republic/Pacifist is no joke. My fastest victory yet is a turn 85 economic win with the Lumeris. Even without the brokenness that is trade routes, the game would have been over by turn 100. The other factions (aside from Horatio) can match that, but the only way that they're beating it by more than a few turns is by taking advantage of the AI's military weakness and blitzing conquest/supremacy.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

So how does this game compare to Endless Legend at launch?

Top Steam reviews seem quite mixed.

The game-as-designed is at least as good, but the game-as-played runs into a lot of soft-locks, has a bunch of other annoying but not game-ending bugs, and slows down immensely in the late game due to AI calculations. I've been fortunate enough not to run into any major bugs myself in ~40 hours of post-release playtime, so I don't have much basis for comparison myself, but I get the impression EL was more stable.

Basically, if you're lucky it's already good, if you're not lucky it's unplayable until another patch or two come out.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Speaking of caring about things, Lumeris kind of suck! Buying colonies always costs more than just settling them with a colony ship, and buying/selling colonies is useless.

Being able to instantly colonize multiple systems simultaneously at any distance with no industry investment is pretty handy, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Agreed, Unfallen are good

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Latest for my game is making peace with lumeris makes them reapeat thecsame message every few seconds forever, even into the next turnn/save load

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I boxed in the arc people, established peace and trade, then got "we like trading with you" or "we're considering sharing some of our tech" from them every 10 turns or so until the end of the game. This despite being far more technologically advanced. That was interspersed with "come help us please" messages from the Craven and UE despite not having any borders with them and not having any contact with whatever civ was crushing them.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Latest for my game is making peace with lumeris makes them reapeat thecsame message every few seconds forever, even into the next turnn/save load

I've had this with a few different factions and it's pretty annoying but it goes away after a while, possibly when your diplomatic status changes again (I wasn't really paying attention).

One thing I discovered last night which I must've somehow overlooked until now is that you can pay a minor faction 15 luxuries to turn one of their pop into pirate ships (maybe you have to get the privateer research tech first, I'm not sure). I was about to buy out the Ghashast with influence because their quest was too hard but I didn't want their militarist population to boost that faction in my senate so I turned them all into ships. It was a pretty impressive amount and included those medium sized Stations. I like using them as fodder before engaging with my own ships.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kalko posted:

One thing I discovered last night which I must've somehow overlooked until now is that you can pay a minor faction 15 luxuries to turn one of their pop into pirate ships (maybe you have to get the privateer research tech first, I'm not sure). I was about to buy out the Ghashast with influence because their quest was too hard but I didn't want their militarist population to boost that faction in my senate so I turned them all into ships. It was a pretty impressive amount and included those medium sized Stations. I like using them as fodder before engaging with my own ships.

There's a handful of different boosts you can get depending on the minor's type, like making their pops emigrate to your systems and boosting their dust/MP/sci output. It's useful for Vodyani but everyone else is almost always better off assimilating/conquering.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

You are the caviar of the galaxy!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, to be clear, a colony will eventually grow from an outpost on its own, those shipments of food are just to speed it up so it doesn't take 30 turns, right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Speedball posted:

So, to be clear, a colony will eventually grow from an outpost on its own, those shipments of food are just to speed it up so it doesn't take 30 turns, right?

Uuuuuusually. If the planet sucks or it gets blockaded, your progress bar can end up rolling backwards if you don't pay in.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, that happened. Goddamn pirates stole my food!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, never noticed till now. When the planet-zoom-in preview thingy kicks in, if a planet has Kessler Syndrome, it's surrounded by junk and debris. nice touch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
A lot of anomalies have visual effects on the planet. Maybe all of them, I dunno.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Clarste posted:

A lot of anomalies have visual effects on the planet. Maybe all of them, I dunno.

Pretty sure it's only the ones like kessler, strong magnetic field or multiple moons that show up. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for cyber flora to show up from that distance.

I hope we get some more interesting looking unique planets in future updates/expansions, I want the giant space laser mining satellite thing from ES1 back.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I don't exactly remember, but I'm pretty sure the planet I found with an old Endless ship factory around it had the space station in the planet view

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

A lava planet with the ocean lifeforms anomaly on it actually showed a blue ocean in the otherwise red planet graphic. Very cool.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, the detail work on planetary anomalies is fantastic. I'm also certain that cyber-flora does have a graphic; I think it was a glowing green carpet on the world, very cool.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well, this guy was parked here for a while...

What are your favourite custom ships? After grabbing all the early curiosities I like to upgrade my probe ship with a combat module and I make another explorer class ship with probes for later use. I use a fleet of combat explorer ships as my army as long as possible, which actually isn't very long because they seem to get their poo poo pushed in against the first small attack craft.

I also build custom siege ships with the small protector class by stacking it with those Titanium Slugs modules. You only need a couple to make short work of any defending army before sending in the ground forces.

Also here's a tip that helped me when I was new last week : after you colonize a planet you can still use probe ships to explore the curiosities (you don't have to put them in the build queue) you just have to zoom out one level from the system screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Guess I need to have a closer look at all the lovely planetary details then!