Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Franchescanado posted:

That's awesome. I saw it in theaters, but no Birbigs or Q&A. Really pleasant experience, nonetheless. Everyone's performances were great, especially Gillian Jacobs. Wish Kate Micucci had gotten more opportunity other than "Quiet Nerdy Cartoon Girl".

edit: Any memorable questions or comments besides the pizza?

Some jackass wasted the last question on "What advice would you give to a newlywed?" so I guess that stands out. Other than that, not much. He looked pretty tired, I think Seattle was one of the last stops on his tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Franchescanado posted:

Doesn't mean the rights aren't in limbo. Dweezil was just on WTF last year talking about how it's still a clusterfuck of rights issues because of her.

It's only really a "clusterfuck" in the sense that Ahmet controls the trust now, and isn't catering to Dweezils demands.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Doesn't mean the rights aren't in limbo. Dweezil was just on WTF last year talking about how it's still a clusterfuck of rights issues because of her.

I just want Dweezil to be able to use his own last name and play his dad's music.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

I just want Dweezil to be able to use his own last name and play his dad's music.

That'd be nice, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Zappa was a genius but humble he was not. Dweezil's got the most talent of the kids

Really? I could have sworn Ahmet did a lot more/better music than Dweezil and always seemed like the most chill one.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Jean Claude van Johnson.

You have no Idea what I'm talking about but the name sounds familiar to you.
You remember maybe JCD or it comes an Expendable movie in your mind ?
Wrong.
Start watching Jean Claude van Johnson in the first scene you will switch it off or rolling on the floor laughing, the next half hour.

"I have a gift I'm the master of the splits"

I'm still rolling, this poo poo is sooo funny. And for all of you not native english speaking watch it in english really!

"If ready or not Johnson is back"

XenJ fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 6, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Really? I could have sworn Ahmet did a lot more/better music than Dweezil and always seemed like the most chill one.

Nah, Ahmet's only done, like, three albums in the 90's, none of which are on spotify or anything. It may be better quality than Dweezil's but I've never really listened to Ahmet.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

XenJ posted:

Jean Claude van Johnson.

You have no Idea what I'm talking about but the name sounds familiar to you.
You remember maybe JCD or it comes an Expendable movie in your mind ?
Wrong.
Start watching Jean Claude van Johnson in the first scene you will switch it off or rolling on the floor laughing, the next half hour.

"I have a gift I'm the master of the splits"

I'm still rolling, this poo poo is sooo funny. And for all of you not native english speaking watch it in english really!

"If ready or not Johnson is back"

It got picked up for a whole season? I remember watching the pilot for that and The Tick like, last year.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I think it did get picked up. I really loved JCVJ and I thought I'd be let down by it. The other one I wanted to see picked up was that "So Dark/So Pretty" vampire show. I liked that the vampire himself was just a regular-looking guy, and not some ultra-hot dude being all romance novel-ish.

I ought to have expected Van Johnson to be pretty good because JCVD was also great.

edit: yup, picked up as a series last September.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Franchescanado posted:

Also Don't Think Twice is on Netflix. If you have any interest in a group of sad improv comedians trying to come to terms with their failures in the wake of a member becoming successful, give it a shot, it's a wonderful movie. Written and directed by Mike Birbiglia. Great cast with fun cameos, too.

The first three or so minutes of this where the group gets loose were excruciatingly precious and then when they were on stage things got even worse. Probably the fastest I've ever bailed on a movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LadyPictureShow posted:

It got picked up for a whole season? I remember watching the pilot for that and The Tick like, last year.

JCVJ, The Tick and I Love Dick all got picked up for full season orders. I didn't realize JCVJ was out already.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Human Tornada posted:

The first three or so minutes of this where the group gets loose were excruciatingly precious and then when they were on stage things got even worse. Probably the fastest I've ever bailed on a movie.

I really liked the movie, but my wife bailed after 20 minutes or so because improv people are annoying. I get it - I couldn't be friends with anyone in that movie due to the constantly doing a bit thing they do.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

GonSmithe posted:

JCVJ, The Tick and I Love Dick all got picked up for full season orders. I didn't realize JCVJ was out already.

No just first episode 😨 I really hope we can "soon" see more of the show.
Ridley Scott is listet as executive producer in the credits with his production company scott free

Thank you human tornada for the tipp.
I made it on my list :)

War Machine was a disappointment for me. The whole time I was thinking they can't decide if they want make comedy​ or realistic. But brad pitt made a realy good job as general. If they wer going the full way as comedy it could be a great movie. Or maybe it is comedy?
I should give the movie a seconde chance.

XenJ fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 7, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Today I did a double feature of The Smartest Guys in the Room and Inside Job, which was probably a mistake, from a heart health point of view. They've both been on netflix for a while, but I wanted to mention them anyway. I look forward to whatever financial calamity will happen next that will let us complete the trilogy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't even realize Frank Zappa was dead until tonight.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Goon Danton posted:

Today I did a double feature of The Smartest Guys in the Room and Inside Job, which was probably a mistake, from a heart health point of view. They've both been on netflix for a while, but I wanted to mention them anyway. I look forward to whatever financial calamity will happen next that will let us complete the trilogy.

Maybe something on Citizens United? Does that count as a financial calamity? Or whatever the oil barons are doing right now. Maybe that'll take 5 or 10 years for something to happen then also for the documentary to get made and released.

edit: Gasland!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

War on Everyone good? I like Michael Pena

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't even realize Frank Zappa was dead until tonight.

Did you know he wanted to run for President before he died?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

War on Everyone good? I like Michael Pena

Not really, although Michael Pena is good in it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

Did you know he wanted to run for President before he died?

10 years ago me "That's crazy, zero experience or qualifications!"

Me now "Huh. Checks out."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

10 years ago me "That's crazy, zero experience or qualifications!"

Me now "Huh. Checks out."

Yeah, but if you ever listen to him talk politics, he has some out-there ideas, but he actually knew what the gently caress was up. Though he'd never have won, not even close.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

XenJ posted:

War Machine was a disappointment for me. The whole time I was thinking they can't decide if they want make comedy​ or realistic. But brad pitt made a realy good job as general. If they wer going the full way as comedy it could be a great movie. Or maybe it is comedy?
I should give the movie a seconde chance.
I think they struggled with this as well. THe first half of the movie is unremitted comedy, but the second half is pretty dark, and despite the closing line being a pretty funny callback, it's also crushingly depressing.

I've seen a lot of folks posting online about how excited they were to see this comedy, and I think a lot of folks may end up being upset or disappointed, thinking that an exposé about a dysfunctional US military commander is hilarious despite it being truly stupid and horrible through and through (also the author died in Afghanistan in 2013, iirc.)

Personally I don't think it's a comedy at all however, if it was straightballed as a realistic portrayal of American Military incompetence, I have a suspicion that Netflix would quickly feel the effects of angry alt-right, angry trump, angry military vets feeing that they and the service are somehow being dishonored, the blue lives/yellow ribbon people, etc etc.. They'd ALL be up in arms, and Netflix has been working hard for a few years to bring in that older, whiter, less tech-savvy audience with shows like Longmire, Frank and Gracie, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked War Machine pretty well, but I watched it late at night, in bed, blazed to the tits and playing Dandy Dungeon on my phone whenever it got boring.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Hey, you guys like Tim Roth?

Course you fuckin' do! Check out Chronic. I saw it on Netflix, but, as with almost everything, you can catch it almost anywhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcDYv0Zoke0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tom Roth is one of three actors I'll watch anything they're in. Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr being the other two. Clive Owen was on that list until I saw that horrible Trust movie (not to be confused with Hal Hartley's Trust, which is my favorite film of all time)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Tom Roth is one of three actors I'll watch anything they're in. Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr being the other two. Clive Owen was on that list until I saw that horrible Trust movie (not to be confused with Hal Hartley's Trust, which is my favorite film of all time)

You like Robert Downey Jr. but you're going to drop Clive Owen for one bad flick? How does that work?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Franchescanado posted:

You like Robert Downey Jr. but you're going to drop Clive Owen for one bad flick? How does that work?

Clive Owen got a lifetime pass from me after Children Of Men. He could be in nothing but Asylum movies from now on and I'd still watch them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Clive Owen got a lifetime pass from me after Children Of Men. He could be in nothing but Asylum movies from now on and I'd still watch them.

Like, for real. Gosford Park, too. Shoot 'Em Up... Dude's got talent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Have you seen Trust (2010)? It's that bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Clive Owen's great but was definitely slumming it for a while.

Michael Shannon and Nicholas Cage are pretty much my only anytime-anywhere picks, and the latter is obviously shaky.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My only Go-To actor right now is Joaquin Phoenix, but he only seems to do a movie a year now, so it's not a problem. I have my go-to directors and keep the actors as bonuses, not sellers.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Clive Owen's great but was definitely slumming it for a while.

Michael Shannon and Nicholas Cage are pretty much my only anytime-anywhere picks, and the latter is obviously shaky.

Michael Shannon, to me, is the white supremacist in Let's Go To Prison and General Zod, in that order. He was in Mud and Kangaroo Jack, but I don't remember him in either.

He looks scary, and I heard he caught a lot of flack for talking poo poo about acting, like "I only show up for a paycheck nowadays, don't really care about 'craft', which isn't great.

I love Nicolas Cage, though, and will rightfully defend him for three simple words: "Adaptation" "Raising" "Arizona".

precision posted:

Have you seen Trust (2010)? It's that bad.

No, I honestly have no idea what it is and I'm not going to look it up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

No, I honestly have no idea what it is and I'm not going to look it up.

It was directed by David Schwimmer!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gross.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

There's an Indonesian movie on Netflix called Headshot, it's brutal as gently caress. if you like action just watch it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Not really, although Michael Pena is good in it.

The way that one juuuust doesn't come together is a bummer

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Junkie Disease posted:

All of them are being giant shits fighting over Franks music and Family name atm. A real shame.

I'm gonna bet on the one with RODAN in his name.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A MIRACLE posted:

There's an Indonesian movie on Netflix called Headshot, it's brutal as gently caress. if you like action just watch it

I'm in the midst of it right now, it stars the actor who plays Rama in The Raid, pretty good so far

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Zappa was a genius but humble he was not. Dweezil's got the most talent of the kids

I agree

Franchescanado posted:

Also Don't Think Twice is on Netflix. If you have any interest in a group of sad improv comedians trying to come to terms with their failures in the wake of a member becoming successful, give it a shot, it's a wonderful movie. Written and directed by Mike Birbiglia. Great cast with fun cameos, too.

I also agree, and not just because I'm in it! (sort of)

It's depressingly accurate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

I also agree, and not just because I'm in it! (sort of)

Elaborate, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Elaborate, please.

I'm in the audience during the climax along with a bunch of other improvisers from Philly. It was a fun day and they gave us free pizza after we waited around for like 6 hours. Good excuse to go to NY for the weekend.