Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Parasol Prophet posted:

This would actually make me want to see these movies.

But there would have to be no explanation. No jokes, no characters going "Uh, why did we just sing that?" like it's the cleverest thing ever. Just: Phantom shows up, it's an opera, Phantom leaves, back to normal.

No explanation? You wish.

Gravely-voiced Russel Crowe: "They call him... the Phantom. A genetic anomaly was activated by his facial mutilation, causing him to exude pheromones that have a peculiar resonant effect on the vocal chords of those near him..."
Swamp Boy: "They sing?"
RusCrowe: "They sing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does that mean Russell Crowe is reprising his character from Les Miserables?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And I am Javert, do not forget my name!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Universal just needs to keep making all their monsters hot like the Mummy is.

Hot Hunchback. Hot Phantom. Hot Creature of the Black Lagoon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I hope they can make his death funnier than that one.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Phantom vs Hunchback

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

The Rundown. I'm talking about Rosario Dawson, not Sean William Scott

Oh poo poo, you're right. You know something, that might still be The Rock's best movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right. You know something, that might still be The Rock's best movie.

Definitely. Peter Berg's too.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

muscles like this! posted:

So reportedly two more characters they want for the DARK UNIVERSE is the Hunchback (of Notre Dame) and the Phantom (of the Opera.)

The should have the Hunchback (Richard III) and the Phantom (the Ghost Who Walks).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The Rundown. I'm talking about Rosario Dawson, not Sean William Scott

Uh... Rosario Dawson's not black.

I get what you mean tho

(I also don't consider Lupita Nyong'o black. Nationality still counts for something.)

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

ruddiger posted:

Uh... Rosario Dawson's not black.

I get what you mean tho

(I also don't consider Lupita Nyong'o black. Nationality still counts for something.)

You don't consider a Kenyan woman black because she was born in Mexico? Really?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

You say that like the original creature from the black lagoon wasn't a hotty.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Catfishenfuego posted:

She was born in NYC to a woman of Puerto Rican and Cuban descent. Wikipedia doesn't mention her dad's ancestry.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I'm talking about Lupita Nyong'o, who's parents are both Luo Kenyan and who is a citizen of Kenya, the country in Africa.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rosario is part Cuban and Cuba is 62% black according to the University of Miami and 40% black or mixed according to Cuba.

ruddiger posted:

You mean you couldn't comprehend the part where I said nationality still counts for something? Is that what you're literally saying?

Lupita's African Mexican. Not black. Get over it.

Mexican is not a race but a nationality. There are black Mexicans.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Catfishenfuego posted:

You mean you couldn't comprehend the part where I said nationality still counts for something? Is that what you're literally saying?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Catfishenfuego posted:

I'm talking about Lupita Nyong'o, who's parents are both Luo Kenyan and who is a citizen of Kenya, the country in Africa.

My reading comprehension isn't that great.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

ruddiger posted:

You mean you couldn't comprehend the part where I said nationality still counts for something? Is that what you're saying?

Lupita's Mexican. Get over it.

She's literally a citizen of Kenya dude, she just has dual Mexican citizenship because her family had to leave Kenya when she was a teenager. This is the most insane approach to race I've ever heard. Like, do you think black people turn white when they become British citizens as well?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ruddiger posted:

only americans are allowed to be black, got it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lupita goes out of her way in interviews to remind people that she is in fact Mexican. Stop pigeon holing minorities with blanket terms idiots.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Catfishenfuego posted:

She's literally a citizen of Kenya dude, she just has dual Mexican citizenship because her family had to leave Kenya when she was a teenager. This is the most insane approach to race I've ever heard.

An approach to race that seemingly replaces race altogether with nationality...?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ruddiger posted:

Lupita goes out of her way in interviews to remind people that she is in fact Mexican. Stop pigeon holing minorities with blanket terms idiots.

Mexican is not a skin color. Most Mexicans are white, a significant minority are mixed (mostly of mixed European and Native blood), and a small minority are black.

I mean yeah race is a social construct but you're just being silly.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

ruddiger posted:

Says the dude who believes that every citizen of Mexico is the same ethnicity, which is apparently "Mexican". Even by your own insane rules you're wrong by the way.

What Lupita said about her own drat self posted:

"I'm Mexican and Kenyan at the same time, I've seen the quarrels over my nationality, but I'm Kenyan and Mexican at the same time. So again, I am Mexican-Kenyan and I am fascinated by carne asada tacos."

How do you even like... deal with the country of South Africa? Or America for that matter? Or is Mexico the only country you've weirdly racialized.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Actually she reminds people she is both Mexican and Kenyan. Idiot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mexican is not a skin color. Most Mexicans are white, a significant minority are mixed (mostly of mixed European and Native blood), and a small minority are black.

I mean yeah race is a social construct but you're just being silly.

This is a huge sticking point with me because I hate when Americans try to label Mexicans as white. The majority of Mexicans, like myself, are brown. The only time we're considered white is when the US is trying to juke the census numbers.

It's really not silly at all when it's something you live with every day and see the kind of hosed up head games this country plays with minorities who try to identify as anything other than what white people (re: the majority of what AMERICANS identify as) tell them they are.

Lupita goes out of her way to tell people she's Mexican/Kenyan.

SA Goon: So she's black?

*sigh*

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Seems more like most Americans see Mexicans as being their own separate race. Probably for the same reasons the Irish were seen as being non-white back then they made up the bulk of new immigrants.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

drat, hosed up that they cast Lupita Nyong'o as a black woman in 12 Years a Slave

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
ruddiger perhaps you should watch Lupita's speech from a Black women in Hollywood event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPCkfARH2eE

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

drat, hosed up that they cast Lupita Nyong'o as a black woman in 12 Years a Slave

And they got Cliff Curtis to play a Mexican in Training Day, what's your point other than great minority actors need to be cast in more movies?

It's hilarious because I started this off by both saying I see where you guys are coming from AND that nationality played a huge factor in my perception because of my own background and you dummies are like "lol nope ur wrong"

Thanks for putting another minority in their place I guess? White makes right, yo joe.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

ruddiger posted:

This is a huge sticking point with me because I hate when Americans try to label Mexicans as white. The majority of Mexicans, like myself, are brown. The only time we're considered white is when the US is trying to juke the census numbers.

It's really not silly at all when it's something you live with every day and see the kind of hosed up head games this country plays with minorities who try to identify as anything other than what white people (re: the majority of what AMERICANS identify as) tell them they are.

Lupita goes out of her way to tell people she's Mexican/Kenyan.

SA Goon: So she's black?

*sigh*
So despite just acknowledging "Brown" as a racial classification and admitting that not everyone in Mexico is Brown, you still think Lupita Nyong'o, proud citizen of Kenya, of the Luo people isn't black despite the fact that she was a speaker at a black women in hollywood luncheon, where she talked about how proud she is to be black.

You're complaining about people forcing things on minorities while forcing a bizarre "mexican-thus-not-black" on a woman who is extremely outspoken about being proud of being both Kenyan and black. We're saying you're wrong because you're doing exactly what you hate and nothing you say makes sense.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 7, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This reminds me of Mexican actors being cast as the Brazilian X-Men character Sunspot, despite the character being half white half black and his backstory involves the racism faced by black Brazilians from the rest of the country (many Brazilians used to pretend that black Brazilians don't exist).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Eh, there's no arguing with someone when they feel they've got moral superiority on their side, which is what usually happens when talking about race and nationality. I can say something snarky like "sorry for thinking of these women as more than just their skin color" but I know that wasn't your intentions. Like I said, I see where you guys are coming from. Too bad you can't (won't?) concede the same.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 7, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

only americans are allowed to be black, got it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9OfrQnijM4

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm a Rhino!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Codependent Poster posted:

Hot Nosferatu!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nosferhotu.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope the new Nosferatu is a massive hit so we can get a Nosfertu 2 or alternatively Nosfera2.

e:
2 Nos 2 Feratu

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In a twist, it's going to be a ballet vampire movie called Nosferatutu.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Nosferadeux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hot Nosferatu played by Clifton Collins.

• Locked thread