Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sounds like sources are saying Russians planted a fake story that caused the Qatar poo poo.

edit: here it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

A giant buzzsaw for migratory birds sounds like something out of South Park or Metalocalypse

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Blitz7x posted:

I can't even fathom the cost of a thousand mile solar plant when you include the maintenance and upkeep.

Trillions of dollars, not to mention the cost of conditioning and transmitting the power. It's almost as ridiculous as the wall itself.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Pellisworth posted:

Wouldn't that be a tiny amount of solar power? Not much land area.

They could put the solar panels on a boom overhanging the Mexican border. Steal Mexico's sunlight.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Russians did Qatar

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-qatar-crisis/index.html

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Trillions of dollars, not to mention the cost of conditioning and transmitting the power. It's almost as ridiculous as the wall itself.

Mexico will pay for it!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phoix posted:

Sounds like sources are saying Russians planted a fake story that caused the Qatar poo poo.

Jesus loving Christ

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I'm not usually one to "Holy poo poo you guys" on DnD but Holy poo poo you guys.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So that's why Trump is so anti-Qatar

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Well uh, that's pretty hosed up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

It would produce about the same amount of power as 32 coal power plants.

https://twitter.com/Timothy_Cama/status/872207906115993600

There is a lot wrong with the math here.

an accurate wall length otoh:v:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is something to take the edge off Trump

Human rights are inconvenient: Theresa May.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40181444

quote:

Theresa May has said she will change human rights laws if they "get in the way" of tackling suspected terrorists.

The PM said she would make it easier to deport foreign terror suspects and "restrict the freedom and movements" of those that present a threat.

Labour said it was "not the message that we should be sending".

Security has dominated the final days of the general election campaign after the terror attacks in London and Manchester.

Rival parties have been criticising the Tories over police cuts.Speaking after the London attack, Mrs May said "enough is enough" and said "things need to change" in the terror fight.

Addressing activists in Slough on Tuesday evening, she did not make any specific new policy proposals but said: "I mean longer prison sentences for those convicted of terrorist offences.

"I mean making it easier for the authorities to deport foreign terrorist suspects back to their own countries.

"And I mean doing more to restrict the freedom and movements of terrorist suspects when we have enough evidence to know they are a threat, but not enough evidence to prosecute them in full in court.

"And if our human rights laws get in the way of doing it, we will change the law so we can do it."

Great move, that will show them you're the second coming of the iron lady by destroying your own country in the name of terrorism.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Phoix posted:

quote:

The Qatari government has said a May 23 news report on its Qatar News Agency attributed false remarks to the nation's ruler that appeared friendly to Iran and Israel and questioned whether President Donald Trump would last in office.

Can we just loving cut all the internet lines coming in or out of russia at this point?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm imagining Trump walking in on a frustrated, hectic meeting on healthcare. He blurts out "THE WALL HAS TO HAVE SOLAR PANELS." Silence reigns for a moment before one frustrated lawmaker looks up from the 2000th attempt to revise AHCA. "We'll get right on that." Donald walks out, satisfied, and 3 minutes later the room has forgotten that he was ever there.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can we just loving cut all the internet lines coming in or out of russia at this point?

Well, Russian agents have been trawling the US identifying potential points of telecommunications attack, so there's a good chance they'll do this to the US first

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

You know, the more I hear about these Russian hackers, the less I care for them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trump: I'm the smartest and greatest! Qatar was my work!
Russia: Actually...

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/872173614581383168

Tomorrow's headline.

On Kotaku

I wonder if it also works for refugees from US politics.

Minecraft only makes me more hopeless. I see all these things people build whereas I just stare at a bunch of blocks and have zero ideas.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this some kind of internet world war? There is no entity capable of dealing with this poo poo. Putin is a literal supervillain.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Reminder that Trump was ALL IN on the Saudis attacking Qatar being a good thing

Based on a fake Russian hack

He's a very stupid person

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If we had a loving competent president who was not totally whored out to Putin, we could actually do something about it. We'd be talking sanctions and a global backlash, but we have the cheeto nazi in the white house, so nope.

Of course, if Russia didn't own the white house, they may have not been this bold.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rigel posted:

I feel like even elementary school children could determine the problem with assuming both sides of a solid wall would get a full dose of solar radiation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Trump is the biggest motherfucking mark in the world and it will kill us all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a massively huge deal. It's not like they just caused some minor spat, they caused a major diplomatic incident involving a ton of countries.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Russia plants fake news articles to break the US away from their closest non-Israel middle east ally

Then

“During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology,” Mr. Trump said in a morning tweet. “Leaders pointed to Qatar — look!”

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phoix posted:

The Saudis can't really unring the bell that they've rung right now. I wonder how this will play out.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AceOfFlames posted:

Minecraft only makes me more hopeless. I see all these things people build whereas I just stare at a bunch of blocks and have zero ideas.

This. I find my art is form from function. Having an end goal and creating systems they do what I need efficiently is the name of my game. Maybe that is the same for you?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Rigel posted:

Sounds like The Wall is TAKING ARE COAL JERBS! :argh: :911:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Any sentence over 14 words is going to be lost on Trump supporters.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I'm gonna guess that this is what that surprise House Intel press conference is going to be about

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

business hammocks posted:

Is this some kind of internet world war? There is no entity capable of dealing with this poo poo. Putin is a literal supervillain.

Yes, it actually is.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well, Russian agents have been trawling the US identifying potential points of telecommunications attack, so there's a good chance they'll do this to the US first

I read this as well, and it is legit scary. can you imagine the economic devastation that would come about of a major disruption to the US internet infrastructure?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mulva posted:

He's old and in terrible shape, and he's constantly being told he sucks. That's terrible for a narcissist. There's a solid chance he just dies, or the stress accelerates his family tendency toward dementia. Old people die, even rich ones.

What I mean is that'll the fact that he got elected in the first place suggests that the next terrible candidate the right runs will also win, because this is the bottom and they can't do worse. Not that specifically Trump is going to run for a third term

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Which is super hosed up by the way, and I hope actual serious people in government are treating that with the level of concern it deserves.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

So I'm gonna guess that this is what that surprise House Intel press conference is going to be about

Link?
Also isn't this pretty much direct provocation from Russia? Is there a way to play this that doesn't show Donald's hand?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:bisonyes:

Fun news finally!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

I just want to make sure I get this:

Russia plants some story about Qatar badmouthing president chump.

Chump says "yeah these Qataris are bad news what jerks. Let's get am!"

Saudi says "heh Yeah, those jerks... spreading extremism... heh"

Result: more instability in the middle east?

Edit: I apologise for walking into this movie halfway through but I am finding it real hard to keep all this straight in my head.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Link?
Also isn't this pretty much direct provocation from Russia? Is there a way to play this that doesn't show Donald's hand?

Actually, it sounds like it isn't

Its on CNN right now, but just sounds like a follow and update on witnesses and documents they have received or have requested

https://twitter.com/desiderioDC/status/872189169124216832

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Note that specifically Trump is going to run for a third term

Fixed :).

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Skippy Granola posted:

I just want to make sure I get this:

Russia plants some story about Qatar badmouthing president chump.

Chump says "yeah these Qataris are bad news what jerks. Let's get am!"

Saudi says "heh Yeah, those jerks... spreading extremism... heh"

Result: more instability in the middle east?

Edit: I apologise for walking into this movie halfway through but I am finding it real hard to keep all this straight in my head.

Qatar gets hosed. They lose oil production / have to devote resources to fixing its economy. Saudi Arabia profits from the instability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Link?

I suspect a lot of people in government want Trump to get much more aggressive on Russia and this is their way to force him to do so.

• Locked thread