Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd also have to come down on that being a... pretty big flaw to ignore.

Like, some opinions are deeply unattractive regardless of the body they are attached to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Put money on it while you still can.

I think assuming she's going to act like a child instead of an adult over a breakup is a bit much. It's not like she has a history of being petty like that. CRG on the other hand seems to be the archetype for the low-value aggravated white dude. I can't see him not being a pissy manchild during a breakup because he knows he doesn't have any societal value, meaning this is probably the best relationship he'll ever have.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
A lot of her earlier stuff is really stilted and static. I know the new editing is a bit cheesy, but it really helps the look of the whole thing. She's become a much more charismatic presenter as well. This is cool.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think the problem with saying laci's falling into that trap we all have where we date lovely people is when people usually do that they don't know the person is lovely ahead of time. first few weeks of dating you see someone at their best and it's not until you've already bought in that it turns out they're awful people. she has constant, daily tweets showing what a broken idiotic rear end in a top hat this guy is. he hates her, he hates all women, he hates anyone who isn't a straight white cis man who also hates everyone who isn't a straight white cisman and the whole world can see that and has known since he started tweeting and making videos. she has no excuse.

maybe this is one of those "I can fix him, I know it!" kind of things which is just :shepicide:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

boner confessor posted:

only if you're voluntarily celibate from lack of sex drive and not abysmal social skills or religious pressure

It takes 30 years for you to become a wizard but it's pretty great

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Clergy aren't actually magical, they just dress that way.

And not all of them are celibate.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

business hammocks posted:

There's a book about them and the rest of the alt-right coming out tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-All-Normies-Culture-Alt-Right/dp/1785355430
The author has one of the best episodes of Chapo and the book sounds real good. I'm still on the fence about buying it though because really how much more do I want to immerse myself into the garbage train-wreck that is Being Online.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

rkajdi posted:

I think assuming she's going to act like a child instead of an adult over a breakup is a bit much. It's not like she has a history of being petty like that. CRG on the other hand seems to be the archetype for the low-value aggravated white dude. I can't see him not being a pissy manchild during a breakup because he knows he doesn't have any societal value, meaning this is probably the best relationship he'll ever have.

I think you misunderstood my post. I am making a completely different wild and unfounded assumption about how their relationship will end, largely due to my own experiences in a similar situation.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I hope this is good. There is not enough real, through journalism out there on what chan culture is and how it influences culture at large, especially politics. I forget who said it before but 4Chan is the most influential website you never heard of.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rkajdi posted:

I think assuming she's going to act like a child instead of an adult over a breakup is a bit much.

she made about the most childish tweet you can about people rightfully calling her out for dating him.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I think you misunderstood my post. I am making a completely different wild and unfounded assumption about how their relationship will end, largely due to my own experiences in a similar situation.

Gotcha, and I did misunderstand. I want to give CRG the benefit of the doubt on being abusive, but him creeping and it loving up their relationship wouldn't surprise me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

boner confessor posted:

only if you're voluntarily celibate from lack of sex drive and not abysmal social skills or religious pressure

Or if being a dude socially makes no sense to you at the end of the day and it takes you almost 30 years to realize your trans. :iamafag:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i like nagal and honestly i think she understands the alt right the best and how/why they tick and its more complex then a lot of people act, not that its excusable.

I may have said this before, but I like how direct and earnest Anita Sarkeesian is with her videos. It took me a long time to realize that the title of this series is a pun on "freak show" because she's so straight-laced and direct. I'm so used to weary irony and cynical contempt that it's very refreshing to see someone who's simply appalled at our horrible world, as my simmering cynicism prevents me from really acknowledging that truth. It's probably a much healthier response and I wish it were more natural for me. I love Contrapoints, but his "dark mother, cold mother" riffs on her do a disservice to what she's about, although I like him have probably lost the capacity to be shocked without prompting.

yeah, he stuff has gotten alot better, but i prefer Lindsey ellis, contrapoints, and liana kerzner. her old stuff under her old co-director and co writer was pretty ehh and once he hosed off she got better and less straight faced preachy. I dont agree with everything she says but she is better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rkajdi posted:

Gotcha, and I did misunderstand. I want to give CRG the benefit of the doubt on being abusive, but him creeping and it loving up their relationship wouldn't surprise me.

the dude LOATHES women.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like nagal and honestly i think she understands the alt right the best and how/why they tick and its more complex then a lot of people act, not that its excusable.

yeah, he stuff has gotten alot better, but i prefer Lindsey ellis, contrapoints, and liana kerzner. her old stuff under her old co-director and co writer was pretty ehh and once he hosed off she got better and lace straight faced preachy.

Her former co-director was the dude who does Pop culture Detective right? I've seen a few of his videos and yeah, he can be a bit much sometimes. One of those leftists who's not wrong but might need to be reminded now and then to tone it down some because your not helping.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Her former co-director was the dude who does Pop culture Detective right? I've seen a few of his videos and yeah, he can be a bit much sometimes. One of those leftists who's not wrong but might need to be reminded now and then to tone it down some because your not helping.

i am sorry, but that guy is massive prick and waste to the left in my opinion. what sucks is i agree with alot of his left leaning stuff(bernie, help the working class and poor rural whites/poc, engagement ideas.) but he is morality police type. He has a hard on for violence in video games and movies and every e3 he goes off on a twitter tirade. if its not loving newt from harry potter or steven universe, its toxic and bad. he carries the puritan cultural memes hard from his evangelical days and he veers pretty drat close to jack Thompson territory alot. the best part is most of the other activists in the gaming community, openly mock and laugh at him. the dudes loving toxic. i mean the dude got pissy because they made tracer a lesbian because she is attractive and thats bad because guys would find that attractive potentially and if guys find it attractive its toxic. people called him out on it and he backed off. he also tried to bring down normal boots after they threw jontron rightfully to the curb. he got mad because they must have known his politics and they were all complicit and should shut down their channels too. he starts poo poo and when people call him off he runs away or says he was pretending to outrageous to protect women.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 7, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

the dude LOATHES women.

Agreed, but in my experience that outward stuff is less of an indicator of the potential for an abusive relationship than you'd think. To an extent, abusers have to rope people in before it starts, and CRG is doing none of that. I'm not saying I'd doubt it if Laci or another partner said it happened, I just am not jumping the gun on thinking he'd abuse a partner.

Dude's a poo poo person all around, but the abusive personality is something totally different than what he's putting out there.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sorry, but that guy is massive prick and waste to the left in my opinion. what sucks is i agree with alot of his left leaning stuff(bernie, help the working class and poor rural whites/poc, engagement ideas.) but he is morality police type. He has a hard on for violence in video games and movies and every e3 he goes off on a twitter tirade. if its not loving newt from harry potter or steven universe, its toxic and bad. he carries the puritan cultural memes hard from his evangelical days and he veers pretty drat close to jack Thompson territory alot. the best part is most of the other social justice activests in the gaming community, openly mock and laugh at him. the dudes loving toxic. i mean the dude got pissy because they made tracer a lesbian because she is attractive and thats bad because guys would find that attractive pottentialy and if guys find it attractive its toxic. people called him out on it and he backed off. he also tried to bring down normal boots after they threw jontron rightfully to the curb. he got mad because they must have known his politics and they were all complicit and should shut down their channels too. he starts poo poo and when people call him off he runs away or says he was pretending to outragous to protect women.

yeah i am sorry, but the dude just represents alot of things i dont like about the current left.

Source your quotes, dude.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Source your quotes, dude.

no, thats sadly fully me.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no, thats sadly fully me.

:thejoke:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sorry, like i am cool with most other critc and like a bunch of them even i dont always agree with them, but that dude rubs me the wrong way hard, much like movie bob. yeah he makes good points about masculinty but the dude needs to get his poo poo straight.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 7, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/872252074494480385

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Didn't she go full right wing over dumb stuff? That's what my one friend told.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It takes 30 years for you to become a wizard but it's pretty great

Only 7 months left for me!

It always weirds me out seeing these "incel" and mra dudes. I'm a fat nerd who's never gotten laid and while I'd like to have sex with a woman one day, it somehow hasn't turned me into a misogynist rear end in a top hat. I don't blame women for not dating me! And it just... I just don't get that type of thinking at all.

Then again I've had friends tell me they used to get bullied because they played videogames, and I don't get that either. Videogames were one of the few things over which bullies and me wouldn't fight! We both agreed they were great.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Only 7 months left for me!

It always weirds me out seeing these "incel" and mra dudes. I'm a fat nerd who's never gotten laid and while I'd like to have sex with a woman one day, it somehow hasn't turned me into a misogynist rear end in a top hat. I don't blame women for not dating me! And it just... I just don't get that type of thinking at all.

Then again I've had friends tell me they used to get bullied because they played videogames, and I don't get that either. Videogames were one of the few things over which bullies and me wouldn't fight! We both agreed they were great.

:ssh: It wasn't the video games that got them bullied. :ssh:

More seriously, incels are people who are obsessed with sex, and who think everyone else gets it because of reasons, like 'they're attractive/a Chad' or 'they have money'. It's basically like children who scream 'I wanna....'; they're making a fuss because they want something, but they're not entitled to it. It's an immature way of thinking, and it's no wonder it segues into treating women poorly, hell, other people poorly. If you feel that entitled, you resent the people that 'stop' you from getting it, or you don't think of them as people at all.

On the MRA front, I could see it starting as charitably trying to do the same thing as feminists for men. I mean, if feminists deal with the problems that women face in society, surely it's fine to deal with the problems men face, right? if that were it, we'd never hear about men's rights activism. No, it has to be co-opted by misogynists who don't actually care about men's rights and really want to 'stick it to them feminazis'. The fact that feminist groups often are working for the betterment of both men and women kinda blows that out of the water, too. So instead of MRA's being a group that works with feminist groups on bettering society in ways unique to each gender, we get rallying cries of 'Men's suicide (But we're not going to look into the underlying causes of toxic masculinity because that would be admitting that feminists are right.) and false rape accusations and child support and custody battles.'

Meanwhile, you have places like 'Bloke's Advice' which was repeatedly reported for being essentially a male safe space for lovely men to make rape jokes. And you have people defending it because it does good things for some men. The fact that we can't separate the lovely parts of male entitlement is actively harming men across the board. It's like militant atheism.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, what are the Rationals saying about the UK elections?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

NikkolasKing posted:

So, what are the Rationals saying about the UK elections?

here's a FANTASTIC clip of our boy sargon talking about himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oow_sYB7O2g&t=552s

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lovechop posted:

here's a FANTASTIC clip of our boy sargon talking about himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oow_sYB7O2g&t=552s

"Ask yourself, if you're a middle class educated person"

Oh you mean unlike yourself Sargon?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Jesus Christ what an insufferable prick. Then again, I like watching him try and debate because he often shoots himself in the foot by conceding the point early, but still keeps yammering on, or is just loving terrible at it and doesn't actually know what he's talking about beyond canned talking points you can pull off several right wing sites.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So without listening to half an hour of drivel at work (or later), who is Sadgon going to vote for this time?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

So without listening to half an hour of drivel at work (or later), who is Sadgon going to vote for this time?

My money is on not Labour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is he going to be part of the #libdemfightback or vote for the party that wants to ban dickheads from the internet?

I know Tories have a long history of voting against their own interests, but still...

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guavanaut posted:

Skip to the end. Of course he's fine with the nationalist garbage about restricting immigration, and thinks that Labour is somehow economically illiterate. Also, it's hillarious that he acknowledges the Tory move to utterly skullfuck the internet in the UK, and somehow sees this as something that won't have huge financial impacts. Hint, all the stuff involving encryption also is an e-commerce issue, and destroying the main storefront of the 21st century surely will be great for your economy. Also,

Of course, he also makes an attempt to say "STFU on this if you don't have an econ degree" while also being the human fecal bin who mocks anyone involved in social science academics. I can't find anything on what the man does or what his degree is in. My guess is he's just another NEET loser who can't cope with the fact that he's economically disposable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rkajdi posted:

Skip to the end. Of course he's fine with the nationalist garbage about restricting immigration, and thinks that Labour is somehow economically illiterate. Also, it's hillarious that he acknowledges the Tory move to utterly skullfuck the internet in the UK, and somehow sees this as something that won't have huge financial impacts. Hint, all the stuff involving encryption also is an e-commerce issue, and destroying the main storefront of the 21st century surely will be great for your economy. Also,

Of course, he also makes an attempt to say "STFU on this if you don't have an econ degree" while also being the human fecal bin who mocks anyone involved in social science academics. I can't find anything on what the man does or what his degree is in. My guess is he's just another NEET loser who can't cope with the fact that he's economically disposable.

He dropped out of high school. No university degree (according to reddit stalkers).

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guavanaut posted:

Is he going to be part of the #libdemfightback or vote for the party that wants to ban dickheads from the internet?

I know Tories have a long history of voting against their own interests, but still...

He's on the EDL side of things, so he has nothing to fear from a Tory government. They're all about giving a handie to the hapless loser whites of the UK by making sure people who'd be fit workers are kept out of the country.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He dropped out of high school. No university degree (according to reddit stalkers).

That explains it then. He must think that nobody studies anything outside their major.

And why isn't the fact he's a dropout not the first thing that comes up when he's discussed? Maybe the UK is different, but at least in the US, failing to even get a GED is code for "useless moron".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rkajdi posted:

That explains it then. He must think that nobody studies anything outside their major.

And why isn't the fact he's a dropout not the first thing that comes up when he's discussed? Maybe the UK is different, but at least in the US, failing to even get a GED is code for "useless moron".

i dont think its ever been confirmed, and also people who follow youtube commenters for their political opeds dont have the highest of standards

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I also got a good laugh at his "Unless you're an econ PhD, don't comment!" coming from a guy who sees fit to comment on just about every conceivable political arena, from actual economics to party-political stuff; From European politics to commenting on Syrian conspiracy theories.

He's the poster boy for "As I say, not as I do".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

rkajdi posted:

That's often the case for British degrees (unless they've started going all US style recently) outside of optional modules. But despite the lack of 'minors' they emphasize that studying something like philosophy, chemistry, humanities, or law will give you a skillset to better understand related things as a result of the methods or arguments or procedures that you learn. I wouldn't necessarily trust a chemist giving their opinion on climate change from a dataset, but I'd trust them more than a random youtuber.

rkajdi posted:

I'd imagine that he probably got his GCSEs at 15/16 and then did something else instead of doing A-levels (17/18). Often that takes the form of getting a job while studying for some technical or vocational qualifications like BTECs or NVQs to advance. Or sitting on your rear end and doing internet rants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

boner confessor posted:

i dont think its ever been confirmed, and also people who follow youtube commenters for their political opeds dont have the highest of standards

They don't, but considering a decent amount of his support is from the US, linking their like of the guy to his documented ignorance might do a bit to kill his income flow. And it appears that might be the only thing he has going for him income wise, so it could meaningfully silence him. The dudes who just listen don't do anything since he's probably been having issues with direct YouTube monetization. Only the suckers who pay him for the content matter, and again I have to think most people don't like being associated with an actual loser. Even the avatar of Sargon's position (Trump) isn't a loser in the conventional sense. An unemployable high school dropout is in a whole different ballgame to that.

• Locked thread