Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can make a bomb squig Warlord if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

panascope posted:

Warhammer 40k: I drat near glued my dick to my leg

Jesus Christ I'm dying here. Perfection.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Played my assault list against a Tau list with Longstrike, Aun Shi and Shadowsun backed up by an ion Hammerhead, some stealth suits and two squads of Fire Warriors.

Tau can really hurt still with flyers taking back and shooting, and I missed several 7" or less charges, but we still ended up playing to a draw after it was all said and done. I should have kept some Raveners in reserve but I popped them up in round one to force target saturation.

Good game, 1k points first game using printed bad photos of books and we were done in 90 minutes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Genghis Cohen posted:

The rules for the Vortex seem really weird. Mortal Wounds inherently spill over between models (you do MW to the unit as a whole) but the way it's written implies you do the D6 MW to each model, with the spillover wasted. Maybe that's just me. If the normal procedure for MW applies, it can be quite a few hits on an elite unit. 5+ to hit can give you turns on end of sweet gently caress all though.

The consequence of rolling a six is that "the model suffers D6 mortal wounds". Mortal wounds spill over, so if the model is killed then the extra mortal wounds continue to move on. The thing that really interests me is that, for Orks, is one of the most viable ways to inflict mortal wounds on a target. Orks seem to be really good at doing lots of damage to hordes, but suffer against monstrous creatures and vehicles. As variable as this weapon is it definitely seems like it could do some serious damage to nearly anything. The other advantage is that it protects anything inside it (like Lootas) with 30 wounds at T10. Another option that appeals to me is to look at Plasma Obliterators fitted with 10 lootas. The fortification is only 190 points (versus 430 for the missile strongpoint), but it really runs the risk of hurting itself with a mortal on wound on every 1 in 2d6 attacks.

The thing that really gets me about the Vortex Missile is that it has the potential to be absolutely terrifying. On average it's going to do 4.8 mortal wounds per turn (3.5 Shots/Turn * 33% Hit Chance * (3.5 + (1/6)*3.5) Mortal Wounds / Hit). To put that into context here are some other weapons going up against a T8, 2+ save target (Land Raider):

SM Lascannon: (4/6)*(4/6)*(4/6) = 1.0
IG Battlecannon: (3.5)*(3/6)*(3/6)*(3/6)*(2) = 0.9
Deathstrike Missile: (10.5)*(3/6) = 5.3

So on average you're doing the equivalent of the output of a Land Raider, or about 90% the damage of a Deathstrike Missile. Every turn. Against anything. Meanwhile your opponent has to chew through 30 wounds at T10/3+ in order to stop it (and the BS never degrades).

I really like it, especially for protecting a large shooting unit like Lootas. If the Big Mek rules didn't require that you repair vehicles of the same clan it would be even better.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm really looking forward to the power points system instead of the regular points values. While if I was playing randos I'd want to use the classic points to make sure it's balanced, 95% of my games are pretty casual and with people I actually like. Hashing out an AoS list in like 5 minutes beats juggling points for like half an hour like 40k typically does.

Also looking forward to my wrists not being useless so I can paint again, tendinitis is the loving worst.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I'm really looking forward to the power points system instead of the regular points values. While if I was playing randos I'd want to use the classic points to make sure it's balanced, 95% of my games are pretty casual and with people I actually like. Hashing out an AoS list in like 5 minutes beats juggling points for like half an hour like 40k typically does.

Also looking forward to my wrists not being useless so I can paint again, tendinitis is the loving worst.

It helps that the most interesting missions in the new book are all Narrative play missions as well, imo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If the PP system was more granular (for example using PP for major purchases like big guns) then I would definitely be more interested. As it stands now I'm fine with regular points.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If your PP is granular you should drink more water

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

goose willis posted:

If your PP is granular you should drink more water

This is solid, unlike my shits.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

From what I'm seeing of the new edition, it sounds like it would be a good time to dig out my old Tyranid models and sell them off, since there could be more demand.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Funzo posted:

From what I'm seeing of the new edition, it sounds like it would be a good time to dig out my old Tyranid models and sell them off, since there could be more demand.

It certainly doesn't seem like the rules are going to make MORE of the few remaining tyranids players since the last 5 editions sell stuff off so you're probably right. They seem pretty good now.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Decided I'm going to start 40k for 8th edition. I am looking over all the factions. I really like Death Guard, Thousand Sons, and Dark Eldar. Having a hard time deciding though.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

Decided I'm going to start 40k for 8th edition. I am looking over all the factions. I really like Death Guard, Thousand Sons, and Dark Eldar. Having a hard time deciding though.

If you build a 30k Death Guard or Thousand Sons army like forums user chutche2 you could play both 40k and Horus Heresy with the same models.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Mugaaz posted:

Death Guard are about to get a whole bunch of support, including being in the new two player starter set, similar to how Thousand Sons did fairly recently.

That said, Dark Eldar are awesome, though they're definitely not as easy to paint.

There's no real wrong choice though, maybe roll a dice to decide, and then go with the faction you noticed yourself hoping for when it was rolling.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Is anyone clear on the new procedure for consolidation moves into contact with fresh units? My Tyranid-playing friend realised this is a great way to avoid, for example, flamer overwatch - assault a neighbouring unit, then consolidate into the flamer unit once you've fought against (and hopefully wiped) your first target. My questions are:

- if you consolidate and come into contact with another unit, does that unit fight against you immediately? IE are they added to the queue of units awaiting activation in the Fight Phase of that same turn?
- can the consolidating unit fight again (I'm pretty sure they can't), and do they count as charging in the next round? (again, I don't think so)

These are the sort of things which will inevitably come up. I like the new very simple approach to rules they've taken, but it will cause some grey areas unless they release FAQs.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The consequence of rolling a six is that "the model suffers D6 mortal wounds". Mortal wounds spill over, so if the model is killed then the extra mortal wounds continue to move on. The thing that really interests me is that, for Orks, is one of the most viable ways to inflict mortal wounds on a target. Orks seem to be really good at doing lots of damage to hordes, but suffer against monstrous creatures and vehicles. As variable as this weapon is it definitely seems like it could do some serious damage to nearly anything. The other advantage is that it protects anything inside it (like Lootas) with 30 wounds at T10. Another option that appeals to me is to look at Plasma Obliterators fitted with 10 lootas. The fortification is only 190 points (versus 430 for the missile strongpoint), but it really runs the risk of hurting itself with a mortal on wound on every 1 in 2d6 attacks.

The thing that really gets me about the Vortex Missile is that it has the potential to be absolutely terrifying. On average it's going to do 4.8 mortal wounds per turn (3.5 Shots/Turn * 33% Hit Chance * (3.5 + (1/6)*3.5) Mortal Wounds / Hit). To put that into context here are some other weapons going up against a T8, 2+ save target (Land Raider):

SM Lascannon: (4/6)*(4/6)*(4/6) = 1.0
IG Battlecannon: (3.5)*(3/6)*(3/6)*(3/6)*(2) = 0.9
Deathstrike Missile: (10.5)*(3/6) = 5.3

So on average you're doing the equivalent of the output of a Land Raider, or about 90% the damage of a Deathstrike Missile. Every turn. Against anything. Meanwhile your opponent has to chew through 30 wounds at T10/3+ in order to stop it (and the BS never degrades).

I really like it, especially for protecting a large shooting unit like Lootas. If the Big Mek rules didn't require that you repair vehicles of the same clan it would be even better.

I'm so mad about how bad the Deathstrike is. And it's equally bad against everything! For 163 points you get to kill 5.3 grots or take 5.3 wounds off of a knight. What a loving rancid pile of poo poo. You're going to do about the same amount of wounds (albeit with armor saves) with the stock heavy bolter over the course of the game! And you have to roll an 8+ on a d6+turn to even be able to fire the loving thing. gently caress you whoever wrote this poo poo, you loving suck at your job.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

Is anyone clear on the new procedure for consolidation moves into contact with fresh units? My Tyranid-playing friend realised this is a great way to avoid, for example, flamer overwatch - assault a neighbouring unit, then consolidate into the flamer unit once you've fought against (and hopefully wiped) your first target. My questions are:

- if you consolidate and come into contact with another unit, does that unit fight against you immediately? IE are they added to the queue of units awaiting activation in the Fight Phase of that same turn?
- can the consolidating unit fight again (I'm pretty sure they can't), and do they count as charging in the next round? (again, I don't think so)

These are the sort of things which will inevitably come up. I like the new very simple approach to rules they've taken, but it will cause some grey areas unless they release FAQs.

I was reading the rules about this really specifically earlier.

If you don't declare a charge on it, it can't fire overwatch. The only way you can move another unit into the fight that you didn't charge is if you consolidate 3" in the pile in step, and do so while also moving closer to the nearest enemy model. (You can actually cheese this by moving models after your first charging one to 1.001" away from the new unit you want to tie up, and farther than that from the charge target)

Then, you can't attack it in the fight phase because on the turn a unit charges, you can only attack units you declared a charge on.

The one that got roped in now has models within 1" and can indeed be selected to fight back in the fight phase.

Finally, no, there is no extra attack round for doing this for the chargers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Genghis Cohen posted:

There are three relevant sentences that dictate this:

1. "Any unit that charged or has models within 1" of an enemy unit can be chosen to fight in the Fight phase."
2. "No unit can be selected to fight more than once in each Fight phase."

So if you consolidate and come into contact with another unit, they are now eligible to Fight. Your force has already been selected and therefore cannot fight again, but the unit you came into contact with can do so. They also do not count as charging in their opponent's turn, as they did not charge in that turn's Charge phase.

Incidentally there's an interesting rule with the Fight phase; if you charged then you can only target units that you charged. You can come into contact with other units, but unless you declared them to be a target of the charge you cannot hit them. This means that a unit of Khorne Berzerkers who wipes out their opponent on the first selection won't be able to do anything but move in the second (Berzerkers can fight twice in the Fight phase).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

my kinda ape posted:

I'm so mad about how bad the Deathstrike is. And it's equally bad against everything! For 163 points you get to kill 5.3 grots or take 5.3 wounds off of a knight. What a loving rancid pile of poo poo. You're going to do about the same amount of wounds (albeit with armor saves) with the stock heavy bolter over the course of the game! And you have to roll an 8+ on a d6+turn to even be able to fire the loving thing. gently caress you whoever wrote this poo poo, you loving suck at your job.

Yeah it's a joke. Granted it can also theoretically do a horrendous amount of damage, but it is equally likely to do gently caress all. More likely with the rule about rolling to fire. It's definitely not worth the points.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just finished my first game of 8th edition. IG orders are scary good. My 30 man conscript squad was the star of the show.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Kingfish posted:

Just finished my first game of 8th edition. IG orders are scary good. My 30 man conscript squad was the star of the show.

I've always wanted guard. What would you suggest as a starting point? I never roll heavy with armour (I play a 30k EC airborne alpha strike army and 40k Space Wolves footslogger army mainly) and I'd like to get some vanquishers and poo poo rolling out because Leman Russ tanks are baller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mugaaz posted:

Drew Careys are dumb, don't play them.

Death Guard and Thousand Sons are both awesome, Thousand Sons *just* got an update in 7th and then 8th blew it all away, so I would go with Death Guard since they're getting all kinds of fancy awesome new updates now, where the Sons will have to wait until the Chaos Codex (probably like a whole year) before they'll play the way they should.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'd do DG if for no other reason than you'll need the rulebook anyways and if you play the models in the starter and decide it's not for you you are out significantly, significantly less money. A roughly equivalent force of deldar or ksuns will cost you 2-3x as much conservatively. DG are also super forgiving from both a painting and a play perspective.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Death Guard are most likely going to get the next Primarch release as well, so that is also rad and good.

Unless you like the Magnus model with its giant nipple horns.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

Death Guard are most likely going to get the next Primarch release as well, so that is also rad and good.

Unless you like the Magnus model with its giant nipple horns.

I think the Magnus Model is cool.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nipple horns are cool because they are dumb and i like dumb warhammer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

OhDearGodNo posted:

Sorry, meant of going off.
Smite has a ~70% chance go off on a straight roll and less than a 6% chance of things going horribly wrong.

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mugaaz posted:

Do you want speed or resilience, that's basically what you're chosing between. Personally I'd go Death Guard because well they're awesome (and likely to get some new stuff fast), not dying is fun and if you buy the Dark Imperium box you'll get the cheapest start ever. You can probably slap some greenstuff and bits on the primaris marines to convert them into death guard or just sell them if you don't want them.

That Dark Imperium box is crazy value, full rulebook, a bunch of primaris marines and death guard, dice and baby indexes. I'm getting one just for the rulebook pluss the marines and i'm still saving a billion dollars or something.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There are three relevant sentences that dictate this:

1. "Any unit that charged or has models within 1" of an enemy unit can be chosen to fight in the Fight phase."
2. "No unit can be selected to fight more than once in each Fight phase."

So if you consolidate and come into contact with another unit, they are now eligible to Fight. Your force has already been selected and therefore cannot fight again, but the unit you came into contact with can do so. They also do not count as charging in their opponent's turn, as they did not charge in that turn's Charge phase.

Incidentally there's an interesting rule with the Fight phase; if you charged then you can only target units that you charged. You can come into contact with other units, but unless you declared them to be a target of the charge you cannot hit them. This means that a unit of Khorne Berzerkers who wipes out their opponent on the first selection won't be able to do anything but move in the second (Berzerkers can fight twice in the Fight phase).

Can you not avoid this by choosing multiple targets for the charge?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Serotonin posted:

You absolutely can, so its not a huge problem. The only issue is that everybody you declare a charge against gets to overwatch against you, and there's no limit to number of overwatch shots per turn in 8th.

Seems pretty fair to me though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zaphod42 posted:

You absolutely can, so its not a huge problem. The only issue is that everybody you declare a charge against gets to overwatch against you, and there's no limit to number of overwatch shots per turn in 8th.

Seems pretty fair to me though.

Yeah but this is why you charge a rhino in to eat overwatch fire and engage them so they can't overwatch anymore.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I just realised that IG Veterans can now take a Heavy Flamer and three other special weapons, whereas before they had to replace one special weapon with the Heavy Flamer.

Cool.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Serotonin posted:

Yep. The question is: do you want to pay the overwatch tax for the privilege of attacking both units?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You'd have to eat multiple overwatches. If you're charging into a pile of Tau or something it might be better to just lock up the shooty units and suffer their inconsequential close combat attacks and deal with them another turn.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You'd have to eat multiple overwatches. If you're charging into a pile of Tau or something it might be better to just lock up the shooty units and suffer their inconsequential close combat attacks and deal with them another turn.

With tau you're eating overwatch from both squads whatever happens so you may as well declare against both.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

With tau you're eating overwatch from both squads whatever happens so you may as well declare against both.

Depends on if you only have one squad charging. If you do then sure, if you don't then if they use supporting fire they can't overwatch anymore.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Having read most of the Dark Imperium book, where call is saying he's created Primaris geneseed for all 20 original legions and wants to use it because it wasn't the marines who betrayed Humanity, but the weakness of the Primarchs, and Robot tells him to absolutely not do it as it would totally be a bad idea.

So I'm thinking of either Bigly Iron Warriors or Dusk Raiders. My Carcharadons are a grey colour scheme, so I'm not as keen on that. Is there a less Hazard Stripey scheme for Iron Warriors (or 'Warriors of Iron') around?

I'll do a set of starter biglys in that scheme.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

Having read most of the Dark Imperium book, where call is saying he's created Primaris geneseed for all 20 original legions and wants to use it because it wasn't the marines who betrayed Humanity, but the weakness of the Primarchs, and Robot tells him to absolutely not do it as it would totally be a bad idea.

So I'm thinking of either Bigly Iron Warriors or Dusk Raiders. My Carcharadons are a grey colour scheme, so I'm not as keen on that. Is there a less Hazard Stripey scheme for Iron Warriors (or 'Warriors of Iron') around?

I'll do a set of starter biglys in that scheme.

Loyalist Primaris clones of the chaos legions? :monocle:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I hope that, surprise! He was wrong and something has totally become tainted across the primarch geneseed and Chaos Marines get Bigly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Zaphod42 posted:

Loyalist Primaris clones of the chaos legions? :monocle:

And the two lost legions.

Dark Imperium has a timejump of 112 years and starts at the end of the Indomitus Crusade. In that time Guilliman is able to survive without his armour, the biglys are distributed to the existing chapters, you find out that the biglys were taken from aspirants of the 9 loyalist legions during the Scouring at Guillimans order, so they have also woken up 10,000 years after their childhood, and Guilliman is getting really frustrated with the High Lords etc and their desire to hold on to their power.

Guilliman is promoting good people he can find into power where he can, and is facing resistance from an entrenched bureaucracy.

• Locked thread