Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

monster on a stick posted:

Also seriously you are just going to copy some free Unity assets and tweak them a bit?

Looking forward to this episode of GamingGarbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Zereth posted:

Yeah, they only need 2.5% of that, minimum.

That's right, they need to sell 2.5 million copies, minimum.

Well, looking at this list of PC game sales numbers, that's only as many copies as some dumb game called Diablo; who's even heard of that?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Subjunctive posted:

That seems like a reasonable way to test a bunch of kinds of game mechanics, to me. Sid Meier and Will Wright talk about paper prototyping all the time.
Ever heard the phrase "cargo cult"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

T-man posted:

Yes, but the statement to which I replied doesn't lead to one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

T-man posted:

It's a perfectly valid way to go about planning poo poo.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

That seems like a reasonable way to test a bunch of kinds of game mechanics, to me. Sid Meier and Will Wright talk about paper prototyping all the time.

I can see it working fine for turn-based games, and when done by actual game designers like Sid Meier. Common MMO problems like scalability are not easily modeled using P&P.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

fishmech posted:

It's a perfectly valid way to go about planning poo poo.

Yes, but judging from the way that the pitch is for a super-duper all in one megagame like countless lovely projects in the past suggests to me that they're doing it because Will Wright/Sid Myer did it, not for any benefit of the process itself. Like, if I came out with the t-Phone and aped Steve Job's whole design philosophy I'd be quite rightly accused of recreating something without understanding why it was important or how to do it correctly in an attempt to replicate his success.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's pure gold, including a 26 minute (!!) pitch video: "Space-opolis"

Holy poo poo I kept scrubbing through the video to see if it cuts away to rough gameplay, or concept art, or a chart, or anything. Just 26 minutes of a talking head.

This is a low-rent Star Citizen but they don't even got the .jpgs to sell.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just want to come in and talk about Meater again, because I loving hate this stupid thing and that it showed up for so goddamned long all over my Facebook feed.
Meater is a lovely bluetooth thermometer that can tie in to your phone through an app or some poo poo.
According to THEIR OWN TIMELINE, the kickstarter was started in September 2015, with a target of shipping in January 2016.
Their latest update, here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom/posts/1892146
confirms that they are beginning to ship the probes only. The other half (and basically the only thing that made this even worth looking at) is still on an indefinite hold. Not to mention one of their selling points was that a regular wired thermometer wasn't suitable for a sous vide and they are now saying that their own loving product isn't.
I can't find the comments now, but surprise surprise, people are finding that a single bluetooth probe inside of a smoker doesn't have the range to be of any real use for anything without the block boosting the signal.
So they're only 18 months behind schedule, when many better products have been available all along: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+thermometer

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that they walked away with well over 2 million including their IndieGoGo campaign and have yet to deliver jack poo poo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thewetsleeve/wetsleeve-wearable-hands-free-hydration?ref=category

An amazing 12oz/350ml will keep you hydrated for 15 minutes!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Whatever next, a waterproof sock for pooping in during those lone WoW raids?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

a friend of mine was raving about this gamer energy drink and i tried some and it's just crystal light powder with caffeine added

gamers will buy anything if it says it's for gamers

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Subjunctive posted:

For the kinds of games those two make, P&P prototyping is awesome. For anything containing "shooting" though, it doesn't really work, even more so when you add in RPG elements. You need to be able to take in to consideration player skill, so things like cursor waver, movement speed, head-bob all matter and are now mechanics because RPG stats and equipment can modify them. It's an MMO, so persistence and view-distance matter, so do you make it all one area, or break it up, because that will affect sniper rifles and other ranged weapons to a lesser degree. Physics collisions, including between players. None of this can be modeled on paper because it involves calculations that have to be performed that are way beyond doing by hand.

CommunistPancake posted:

a friend of mine was raving about this gamer energy drink and i tried some and it's just crystal light powder with caffeine added

gently caress gamers.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I wish Bawls would make a comeback as the premier Gamer Drink.

edit: If you want some laughs, Kickstarter publishes all their DMCA notices they receive and take action on: https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/

wa27 has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Jun 7, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

And it’s piss‐warm.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Platystemon posted:

And it’s piss‐warm.

It's actually for the Bear Grylls simulator game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CommunistPancake posted:

Unless it's female.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wa27 posted:

edit: If you want some laughs, Kickstarter publishes all their DMCA notices they receive and take action on: https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/

These are great but I'm surprised there's not a lot more of them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

We tested our video game on pen-and-paper :downs:.

The other stuff aside, this is a thing actual designers do occasionally.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Really? Are you sure? I'm sure that would've been mentioned already if that were true.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wa27 posted:

These are pretty funny.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wa27 posted:

I wish Bawls would make a comeback as the premier Gamer Drink.

Some of this poo poo is hilarious and some just pisses me off.

https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/robert-e-howard-miniatures-30mm-inspired-by-his-characters-submi

quote:

We own the copyrights/trademarks on Robert E. Howard and all of his published works including CONAN THE BARBARIAN, KULL OF ATLANTIS, DARK AGNES, BRAN MAK MORN, etc.

No, you don't, you thieving dirtbags. Howard died in 1936, there is a bunch of Conan and Kull that is indisputably in the public domain. You can't own the copyrights on all of his published works, and since filling out a DCMA notice requires you to state under penalty of perjury that you are authorized by the rightsholder to file the takedown notice, you should be in prison.

God. Just once, just one goddamned perjurious DCMA takedown notice getting someone thrown into prison on a Federal felony charge, that's all it would take. Shame it'll never happen.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jun 8, 2017

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

i wonder if powdered flavoring, caffeine and like B vitamins could be sold as a water additive for gamers. Or Mountain Dew.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

it's got electrolytes !!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

Unless it's female.

I'd buy a female for gamers, but sadly haven't seen any for sale so far.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

i wonder if powdered flavoring, caffeine and like B vitamins could be sold as a water additive for gamers. Or Mountain Dew.

I buy stuff that is basically that, but I think with a poo poo load of vitamin C too, for hiking or long overnight work shifts.

I can't remember the brand name, but it's a purpleish box that it sold next to like powdered iced tea and poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lol or you can wear a loving camelbak.

Then you don't even have to hold up your stupid arm. You could keep drinking water/mountaindew without pause, while keeping both hands on your controllers.

Isn't that the gamer way?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol or you can wear a loving camelbak.

Then you don't even have to hold up your stupid arm. You could keep drinking water/mountaindew without pause, while keeping both hands on your controllers.

Isn't that the gamer way?

Nawwwww, camelbak isn't made BY GAMERS FOR GAMERS and insinuates there may be outdoor dirt involved, not righteous keyboard goop.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

To be fair I picked the worst picture, they also market it to runners and divers so on, which is even more stupid.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

gschmidl posted:

To be fair I picked the worst picture, they also market it to runners and divers so on, which is even more stupid.

Divers: yes, let me remove this life giving air apparatus to take the tiniest swig of warm piss

Runners: yes, let me break my form and also attempt to steady my arm to drink warm piss

Masturbators: now I can remove my bendy straw golem from beside my bed and can drink honorable sake from my ninja wrist wrap while watching heantai

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Please back my kickstarter for a Dune style stilsuit

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
They managed somehow to make it look more stupid than this:

good job!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It's extra dumb because if you have the time to hold your arm steady in front of your face you also have the time to drink out of any regular container that's on your desk. But I suppose if you go Kickstarter you gotta solve problems that don't exist.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Back my project for a gamer sippy cup

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Just use a loving Camel pack or something, jeeze. You don't even really have to use your hands then.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Please back my new Kickstarter, GamelPack for Gamers

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Only if you license it from Jeff Minter and make an official Attack of the Mutant Camelback or something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

How many no-name tech blog sites has it been paid by you to have been featured on? Please post all of their logos in a single messy jpeg, if you wouldn't mind.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Veib posted:

Only if you license it from Jeff Minter and make an official Attack of the Mutant Camelback or something.

It needs to use DRM'ed disposable water pods though. Just add water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Non Serviam posted:

It needs to use DRM'ed disposable water pods though. Just add water.

Add water to proprietary powdered water