Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DeimosRising posted:

Rudy Gobert is a top 10 player and Dwight healthy and running the pnr was that kind of player. Equivalent or better TS on almost 150-200% the usage, the worst year of his 4 year peak he had more DWS than Gobert's best year, forced opposing teams to foul constantly, altered every single shot within 15 feet. He was probably pushed to shoot too much (or pushed himself to by insisting on post isos) but he could absolutely be a Gobert esque force today were he still healthy. Hell he's not a BAD player now.

Yeah, I mean, that's why I said he was a superstar, but he didn't try to change his game at all once he got injured and wasn't capable of doing the same things anymore and he kind of looks like a bonehead when he plays. I worded my last post poorly, I didn't mean that his game (when he was at his peak) wouldn't work in today's NBA. Like you said, he's still valuable. It's a long shot from where he was and it's a shame but it's got to suck to lose your physicality as a big man, especially one as juiced up as Dwight, especially when you don't have a backup plan as far as playing style

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/badfeelingpdcst/status/871873276938792960

Gentlemen prepare your thinkiest emotes

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I don't believe the Spurs channel in Discord is an amazing place :thunk:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I noticed Bashez isn't posting here as much

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

banana boat is canon

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Would that team beat the Warriors? Serious question.

Could he be an...Albridge Over Troubled Water?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Rumors turning into stuff like "more than likely Chris Paul is going to the Spurs" is one of the best aspects of fandom

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

roundmidnight posted:

Basketball wise yeah, if they can find a way around the Chris Paul State Farm (TM) Second Round Curse

Also that guy is kind of ignoring that they generally haven't been willing to go very far into the tax at all.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah, I mean, that's why I said he was a superstar, but he didn't try to change his game at all once he got injured and wasn't capable of doing the same things anymore and he kind of looks like a bonehead when he plays. I worded my last post poorly, I didn't mean that his game (when he was at his peak) wouldn't work in today's NBA. Like you said, he's still valuable. It's a long shot from where he was and it's a shame but it's got to suck to lose your physicality as a big man, especially one as juiced up as Dwight, especially when you don't have a backup plan as far as playing style

Oh he has a backup plan https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/872184127222673409

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dwight Howard is the living composite of every big guy you've ever played pick up with

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Yeah he's also a moron, that's another point

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lebron or cp3 on the spurs would be incredibly good and cool so yeah both of them should go

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

roundmidnight posted:

Could he be an...Albridge Over Troubled Water?

Lebron > KD
Kawhi > Steph
CP 3 = Draymond (maybe edge CP3)
Aldridge < Klay
Gasol > Zaza or whatever they have at C next year

Spurs Bench will probably also be better

So yeah, I think that's a better team, and they'd want to win one quick because Lebron and CP3 are basically playing for free.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chunkles posted:

Basketball wise yeah, if they can find a way around the Chris Paul State Farm (TM) Second Round Curse

Also that guy is kind of ignoring that they generally haven't been willing to go very far into the tax at all.

Also signing Bron and Paul while keeping "the best bench in basketball "

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Also signing Bron and Paul while keeping "the best bench in basketball "

In fairness if the Spurs signed 10 D-League guys they'd probably end up with a ++ bench.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0UHAQBkkyY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

In fairness if the Spurs signed 10 D-League guys they'd probably end up with a ++ bench.

True lol but everything I've read about their cap situation is they'd basically have to resign no one and gut their bench to sign even Paul.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

That Spurs team would go 65-17 with no player averaging over 30 mpg. Then in the playoffs they'd average 80 possessions per game shooting 65%. It would be the most efficient slow team ever.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7-tbxs7zRo

okay real talk these videos alone are tempting me to transfer my fandom

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah he's also a moron, that's another point

This was the biggest thing. He's a dumb baby rear end in a top hat. No one likes playing with him, he fights with his coaches all the time, he insists on trying to be Shaq because he got made fun of on a TV show, etc. He's also not a very good passer which is why he's so mediocre as a post option, his actual scoring was and is quite good. He just can't exploit doubles.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DeimosRising posted:

This was the biggest thing. He's a dumb baby rear end in a top hat. No one likes playing with him, he fights with his coaches all the time, he insists on trying to be Shaq because he got made fun of on a TV show, etc. He's also not a very good passer which is why he's so mediocre as a post option, his actual scoring was and is quite good. He just can't exploit doubles.

Yeah I'm on board 100% with the moron factor being the biggest limitation he has.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

dwight getting owned so hard he keeps trying to have a post game is funny though

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Going to work out with Zydrunas Ilgauskas is going to become the new Hakeem

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7-tbxs7zRo

okay real talk these videos alone are tempting me to transfer my fandom

Can't transfer fandom to a team on top like the Spurs, you gotta get in on the way up. That's why I am packing up my fandom and headed off to the Bucks as soon as they hire Hammon.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wow Deron Williams has as many career points in the finals as CP3 big if true

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I kept thinking Kyle Korver looks like he's rushing his shots

then i was thinkin about this
https://twitter.com/kdtrey5/status/18688294600

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 7, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Life comes at you fast.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

dont be mean to me posted:

Life comes at you fast.

Twitter doesn't forget. Twitter doesn't forgive.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Let's just say hypothetically LeBron and CP3 signed one year vet min contracts with the Spurs just to spite the Warriors. Is there anything the NBA could do to stop it?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

No, but seriously, Popovich needs to challenge Ted Cruz

Also, I was 100% convinced there was a game tonight

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rick posted:

The Lakers have a projected payroll of under 50 million for George's free agency year at this point, so that really isn't the issue. They are gonna have money in 2018-19 pretty much no matter what they do.

Getting to a "big offer" for Waiters this season (assuming that means the max) would require a bit of maneuvering, but actually not all that much.

I'm not saying I want either of these things to happen, just that money isn't the problem.

I hope Dion gets paid. Tbf, the Thunder offered him whatever it was, 8 or 10 mil or so and he walked. I honestly don't think he would have blossomed into what he was doing if it weren't for Satan Riley in Miami. It remains to be seen if that was all Dion will ever do.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

i dream of lebron saying "gently caress it", going to milwaukee, and just loving slamming down dunks and sick behind the back passes to giannis nonstop every game

just imagine four games where all they did was this to curry every single play in the finals

imagine it

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Glumslinger posted:

No, but seriously, Popovich needs to challenge Ted Cruz

Also, I was 100% convinced there was a game tonight

I thought it was Wednesday up until I read your post.

:doh:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Until the Bucks install a new offense even adding Lebron wouldn't be enough to get them to the Finals.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

i dream of lebron saying "gently caress it", going to milwaukee, and just loving slamming down dunks and sick behind the back passes to giannis nonstop every game

just imagine four games where all they did was this to curry every single play in the finals

imagine it

So many great reactions in that shot

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

This needs to happen just to witness how they try to spin The Finals as being bigger than that WCF.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
lebron should not leave again, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
since we're theory crafting on the spurs…

before anything, let me just say i'm definitely on the side of "paul just isn't worth it so he'd have to take a huge paycut"

that being said, what's to stop the spurs going well over the cap this year since they'll have so much more room next year and can probably fall back under it? is there any sort of lingering penalty or if you can get back under cap after a year do you only suffer for that one season? i mean, it is chris paul which is about as good as we could hope for in the free agency of 2018 anyway.

Zogo posted:

GSW tore through SAS and UTA D (the #1 and #3 DRtg teams) this season. They have the highest team ORtg in NBA history. A defensive superteam might be the only real threat.

i don't think you can say that GSW "tore through" the SAS defense this season. spurs took the regular season 2-1 and the spurs were up 23 when kawhi, the two time reigning DPOY went down.

sure, they tore through the defense after that, but i wouldn't quite call that the same #1 defensive team when kawhi is missing

anyway, they are where they are, but let's not rewrite history

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 7, 2017

• Locked thread