Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Abandapart94/status/871914122534768640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Well Zod's sub commander Faora was sucked into the Phantom Zone at the end of MoS, so theoretically if someone could create a portal to the PZ she could return.

I thought she crashed into the gravity thing with the army guy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

I thought she crashed into the gravity thing with the army guy

She could probably survive that explosion. Still got sucked into the phantom zone, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This movie is pretty good - as good as your average Marvel, imo - until those last 20 minutes where they seem to try as hard as they can to completely ruin everything

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Didn't the Entente use poison gas to the same extend the Germans did? Anyway, good to see a few Krauts getting shot, it makes the world a better place.

By the end of the war, everyone's standard artillery shell mix was at least 25% gas to go with the usual high-explosive and fragmentation shells.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The wait was unbearable, but I finally was able to see this. Initial impression out the theater is yeah, this is a great movie. I'm biased though, but whatever. It's everything I wanted and hoped for. Gal Gadot is such a perfect Wonder Woman. She is Wonder Woman for me :allears: I loved everything about her performance, and her/the story's take on the character. As a fan, I couldn't be happier. And Diana storming No Man's Land has now supplanted the scene in Spider-Man 2 where Peter saves the train as my absolute favorite superhero movie setpiece.

And drat, Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright gave off such a fierce vibe whenever they were on screen for me, especially Wright as Antiope. Just like the way the carried themselves put me in awe; they both were so badass, haha. Chris Pine was solid, as was the trio of multicultural misfits. They were a lot of fun. Every joke and bit of humor landed for me, and seemed like it did for everyone else in the theater too. Lots of laughs. I wish there were more fun interactions between Diana and Etta though. Loved the inclusion of sensuality throughout the film too; was really happy to see the film didn't shy away from romance just because it's a superhero comic book movie. As for the story, all I can do is echo the sentiment that the first and second acts are really, really good. Everything on Themyscira, and Diana's initial foray into the world of men, was pitch perfect and hit all the notes just right. I totally get how the third act of the film falters a bit for some — just a bit for me mostly with the Sir Patrick is Ares reveal that I saw coming, but the buildup couldn't have been any better imo. It was fantastic. The payoff in the end, even with the hokey Ares stuff, was still better than any third act I've seen in a superhero movie recently, mostly because of how convincingly Gal Gadot was able to emote pain, loss, exertion of strength, etc., and also because of how gorgeous the visuals were. This is a really good looking film, where some of the greatest and most beautifully composed shots were during the climax and ending. Can't wait to see it again.

Wonder Woman is easily the best DCEU film, no doubt. It completely overthrows Man of Steel to take the top spot for me. But, since I am biased, this is legit my favorite superhero movie now, hands down. Big ups to Patty Jenkins and her crew for making such an awesome movie. Knocked it out of the park. Hopefully Justice League follows suit :)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

MrJacobs posted:

If she could she would do it in Batman vs Superman.

Jumping through the ages would be the best option since having Diana gently caress off for a century while the world goes to poo poo makes her kind of a terrible hero/ambassador of love and friendship in the grand scheme of things compared to her other versions.

You literally see her do that in the WW film. Like did you watch the film by standing in the lobby?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hollismason posted:

You literally see her do that in the WW film. Like did you watch the film by standing in the lobby?

I think the idea is that while, yes, obviously she can fly in the right circumstances, she isn't a superhero with "flight" as one of her standard superpowers that she uses all the time, like with Superman. At the end of the movie, she's leaping, not just lifting off in flight. I wouldn't expect to see her causally levitating in Justice League.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Armond White seemed let down. Whens SMG out of cat jail?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some people are disappointed that in the end it's a film that glorifies violence and I can definitely see where they're coming from. I honestly thought it did but then I put it through the lens of servicemen of the time signing up for adventure or fighting for the greater good and other propaganda recruitment posters. She, without question, took Steve at his word that the Germans were "bad guys", much like any soldier at the time, but in the end they just came to understand it was a poo poo war they were stuck in fighting people just like them. I think that's what felling Ares was for her - killing the unquestioning motive to go to a war she barely understood. It's not as oppressive about it as Zack Snyder's films so I don't think it's as effective condoning violence but I the reading I got out of it worked out alright. Could have gone further, especially for promoting feminism, but it at least gets credit for addressing it, something the Marvel films never want to do.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Armond White seemed let down. Whens SMG out of cat jail?

11 more days until his spicy hot takes come flying in from the zizek kitchen.

White's review for those interested: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/448213/wonder-woman-pc-heroine-lacks-passion-complexity

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MacheteZombie posted:

11 more days until his spicy hot takes come flying in from the zizek kitchen.

White's review for those interested: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/448213/wonder-woman-pc-heroine-lacks-passion-complexity

This guy should be fired for making up the word "She-ro"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

This guy should be fired for making up the word "She-ro"

that term predates White and he puts in scare quotes purposefully

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I really found his harping on political correctness tiring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Don't miss the related article, "Why can't a feminist icon conceived by a male polyamorous BDSM enthusiast be completely uncontroversial???"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

As insightful as ever, lol

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

"A baby!"
- My favorite part

This is a stealthily packaged anti feminist movie. A naive woman living in a silly fantasy enters a real man's world and is continually mansplained to by her boyfriend while hanging out with his friends. At first she trusts her own knowledge before realizing that he was right all along.

(In all seriousness, I think Steve Trevor and the gang might have more screentime than Diana)

Roughly equivalent in quality and concept to Thor 1, borrowing story beats from Captain America 1. The shift to WW1 was a good choice, but the parts lifted from Cap are still obvious enough on their own. Great action sequences though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's weird to me that the war was so terrible that it made Diana sit out of the Holocaust or whatever in a sulky mess but really it was all being pushed along by Ares so I'm not sure how much blame can really be put on humanity's shoulders.

You can tell that they obviously changed all of that at some point because the film is basically breaking down her innocence bit by bit. Guns murder Amazons without issue. London is a polluted hole in the grip of the Industrial Revolution. Men, women and children are getting blown the gently caress up in a war no one really understands. You can see why Diana would've walked into this and gone, no, gently caress this, I'm out.

But then Ares was behind it all (as were the Germans who were all Bad -- and isn't it weird they used an actual person in the villain role?) And when they kill him you get people hugging and a smash cut to victory in the streets.

There's a lot of stuff I liked about the film but I found its treatment of the nature of WW1 really unpalatable. It would've been a much stronger film if they hadn't swerved at the last minute, or if they had've taken a bit of time earlier in the film to point out the clusterfuck of alliances and situations that led to so many people killing each other over nothing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Did you miss the big twist at the end where Ares was very specifically not behind it all?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Steve also takes five minutes out of his very short life :keke: to try to make her see that all of humanity is to blame.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

or if they had've taken a bit of time earlier in the film to point out the clusterfuck of alliances and situations that led to so many people killing each other over nothing.

Dan Carlin spent three hours giving a bare bones account of how the war started, good loving luck getting that into a single movie scene.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Did you miss the big twist at the end where Ares was very specifically not behind it all?

It felt like they tried to have it both ways, with the whole him still giving them ideas, just not forcing them to act on them thing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

No, because I can read films.

Here is what happened at the end of the film.

ARES: I've been giving them weapons -- but I'm not responsible if they use them! Humanity is evil, Diana, which is why I have no moral accountability. Disregard the fact that if I truly thought humanity was intrinsically evil I wouldn't give them anything which would also make my point against Diana far more hurtful. Given that I think humanity is intrinsically evil, and I'm doing this to hurt Zeus and Diana, my account of anything is at best unreliable.

Then Ares is killed by the power of love. Suddenly, the Germans all take off their dehumanising gas masks and, why, they're all young men like you and me. They cheer and hug. Then everyone is cheering and hugging in London, too. It's strange that this appears to be linked through the language of film to the death of someone who is presented as a mastermind behind everything, from giving the Germans horrible weapons to enabling peace talks that we, the audience, know were one of the big things that precipitated World War 2.

What we are shown is, of course, more important than what we are told.

Snowman_McK posted:

Dan Carlin spent three hours giving a bare bones account of how the war started, good loving luck getting that into a single movie scene.

I'm sure the bad guy could give a basic speech pointing out that humans started the biggest war in history because of an assassination. I feel like it'd also help his point, that humans are terrible beings looking for an excuse to murder and destroy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Diana got the old "Yes, let your anger flow through you!" spiel and instead of succumbing she used the light side of the force to bring balance to the world. Even if it was just for a moment mirroring the WWI Christmas Miracle.

Diana is a Jedi, like her father before her.
10/10

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 7, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

ARES: ...Given that I think humanity is intrinsically evil, and I'm doing this to hurt Zeus and Diana, my account of anything is at best unreliable.
Not when he's bound by a lasso of truth. For all intents and purposes, Ares truly believes what he's saying, that humans started this war and killed each other without his help, and the only thing he did was to give them better weapons to kill each other with and to engineer a peace that they themselves would break. Just like Gaiman's Lucifer, he's never made anyone do anything.

Also, can we just do away with this whole notion that Diana ignored the Holocaust or something? Nothing in this film says anything about what Diana did in the years between World War I and now. She could have sat it out, or she could have been involved. This isn't a spoiler, either.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A lot of the spoilers are why the third act just didn't do it for me. Too much monologue. Lex kept it short, sweet and creepy. Don't explain things to me, movie, just show me and let me read into it. Ares needed to spend less time talking and more time punching. It's why I like the whole Armistice plot thread and why Ares was pushing for it. They don't explain it away, they let you use history as your guide with that one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Also, can we just do away with this whole notion that Diana ignored the Holocaust or something? Nothing in this film says anything about what Diana did in the years between World War I and now. She could have sat it out, or she could have been involved. This isn't a spoiler, either.

Maybe when she said she left the world of Man for 100 years she just meant she didn't fall in love with anyone else for that long, until she met Bruce about 100 years later.. :heysexy:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 7, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

Maybe when she said she left the world of Man for 100 years she just meant she didn't fall in love with anyone else for that long, until she met Bruce about 100 years later.. :heysexy:

Bruce totally earned some brownie points with Diana points for finding the original photograph of her, Steve, and the trio of awesome. Dude putting those detective skills to proper use.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like, don't get me wrong; I totally agree that that third act is really friggin' weird to unpack 'cuz everything -- plot, editing, themes, dialogue -- seems to be tripping over something else and we pretty much become as dazed and confused about everything onscreen as Diana herself does. But if you can somehow interpret those cheers of relief from the German soldiers as...well, as literally anything other than the possibility that they just got liberated from an ancient god of war's mind-control, then the overall themes and resolutions do end up fairly coherent and compelling.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Native American dude and the German soldier hugging it out at the end came off more like them non-verbally acknowledging that the situation they were both in earlier was hosed and they're grateful to be alive. What more can you do in that kind of scenario than open your arms to another human being.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

A lot of the spoilers are why the third act just didn't do it for me. [spoiler]Too much monologue. Lex kept it short, sweet and creepy.

Funny I distinctly recall Lex never shutting the gently caress up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There needs to be a short clip of Bruce buying the original photo from Etsy.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hollismason posted:

There needs to be a short clip of Bruce buying the original photo from Etsy.

I'm imagining him going on a rampage to steal the photo from the Smithsonian.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

teagone posted:

The Native American dude and the German soldier hugging it out at the end came off more like them non-verbally acknowledging that the situation they were both in earlier was hosed and they're grateful to be alive. What more can you do in that kind of scenario than open your arms to another human being.

Yea, a demigod(actual goddess?) who super speed clobbered everyone and with the power of Love just deathstar'd another god who was dressed in Sauron armor and was calling for the extermination of mankind. Kinda reorients your perspective.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Not when he's bound by a lasso of truth. For all intents and purposes, Ares truly believes what he's saying, that humans started this war and killed each other without his help, and the only thing he did was to give them better weapons to kill each other with and to engineer a peace that they themselves would break. Just like Gaiman's Lucifer, he's never made anyone do anything.

Sure, this movie didn't, but...

Diana Prince: A hundred years ago I walked away from mankind — from a century of horrors. Man made a world where standing together is impossible.

It's going to get the "certain point of view" treatment, I'm sure.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Yeah I kinda interpreted it in a similar way although I do think it was still intended to hint at the popular interpretation. But like really, wtf were those guys supposed to do? Get up and start fist fighting?

Also I noticed people waving the modern German flag in the celebration scene at the end, but it turns out that post-war is when that flag was adopted, which is pretty cool.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wonder Woman did the unthinkable, crossing no man land while being completely immune to bullets.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Wonder Woman did the unthinkable, crossing no man land while being completely immune to bullets.

Truly an inspiration for our times.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Is Chris Pine high in this clip? He's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tenzarin posted:

I will always give credit to the writers who decided to let the obvious go unsaid.

• Locked thread