Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm totally using "clomshire" on them until I leave, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm totally using "clomshire" on them until I leave, too.

PLEASE DO. Oh man, guys.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

they're makin' me teach the ol' middle school classes again.

RANDOM CHILD: "Hey, Fleta, guess what my favorite book is."
ME: "Harry Potter?"
RANDOM CHILD: "NO! Out of Africa, of course!" :colbert:

That's me told.

That's cool as hell

Separetely: Did the kids en masse or the other teachers or the school itself cut it off?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

Separetely: Did the kids en masse or the other teachers or the school itself cut it off?

Cut what off? Sorry, I only got 90 minutes of sleep last night and I'm off my face from coffee and grumpiness.

If you mean not doing their final presentation, yeah, the kids have a mock TOEFL next week and have completely stopped doing any other work as a result. Let me say it again: mock TOEFL. I hope their scores mitigate their very real Fs in Biology.

30% of your total grade is talking for three minutes on the biological topic of your choice. Honestly. Not since I had a history class where 40% of your grade was participation and 60% a single paper has anyone had it so easy. /bitching

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Cut what off? Sorry, I only got 90 minutes of sleep last night and I'm off my face from coffee and grumpiness.

If you mean not doing their final presentation, yeah, the kids have a mock TOEFL next week and have completely stopped doing any other work as a result. Let me say it again: mock TOEFL. I hope their scores mitigate their very real Fs in Biology.

30% of your total grade is talking for three minutes on the biological topic of your choice. Honestly. Not since I had a history class where 40% of your grade was participation and 60% a single paper has anyone had it so easy. /bitching

sorry i meant your job

for a bit it sounded like you lost your job but i hope you still have it :ü

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

sorry i meant your job

for a bit it sounded like you lost your job but i hope you still have it :ü

OH! No, no, I'm just leaving. It's been a really poo poo year and I'm sort of burned out on the Chinese day-to-day. And other stuff, but mostly those two reasons.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Playing a finish-the-sentence game with the first-years:

JESSICA: "When I grow up, I want to be....a rich man."
ME: "uhhh, man?"
EASON: "Ladyboy! Ladyboy!!!"

It quickly disintegrated into:

In college, I will study ladyboys.
I will be a ladyboy CEO.
I will open a ladyboy museum.
In five years, China will be a ladyboy country.
I want to travel to the ladyboy planet.

No, I can't get them to stop saying it. I've been trying all year. I got them to stop saying "gay" as a pejorative; I've done what little I can.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
My little nephew is 2.5 and he's had a bit of an issue going to bed lately. He has shortened Auntie Cat to "Achia" for some reason and is obsessed with my car.

My dad said I missed a call from my sister, so I called her.

Me: "Hey, buddy."
Nephew: "Achia... Achia car?"
Me: "No friend, Achia car dodo."
Nephew: "Achia car dodo? Achia car dodo."
Me: "Achia car dodo. Achia dodo. Alec dodo."

A second later, my sister came on the line and said. "He just turned around and went to bed."

I suspect I'll be getting many more phone calls from her in the future.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Writer Cath posted:

My little nephew is 2.5 and he's had a bit of an issue going to bed lately. He has shortened Auntie Cat to "Achia" for some reason and is obsessed with my car.

My dad said I missed a call from my sister, so I called her.

Me: "Hey, buddy."
Nephew: "Achia... Achia car?"
Me: "No friend, Achia car dodo."
Nephew: "Achia car dodo? Achia car dodo."
Me: "Achia car dodo. Achia dodo. Alec dodo."

A second later, my sister came on the line and said. "He just turned around and went to bed."

I suspect I'll be getting many more phone calls from her in the future.

Dodo?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm guessing, "go to bed" in That Kidspeak.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It's standard children's colloquial French ("faire dodo" or my favorite "métro/boulot/dodo").

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's standard children's colloquial French ("faire dodo" or my favorite "métro/boulot/dodo").

Google translate gives me nothing. What does it actually mean?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I made a few silly videos of my daughter Nova "saying" things.

https://youtu.be/wdkIPzQSHgM

https://youtu.be/brC_RQPkRAE

https://youtu.be/xn0Diq7gbqw

https://youtu.be/eFYXEzA2_vk

https://youtu.be/i2aYswfByWg

https://youtu.be/Q7CZflnZREE

They are all less than 20 seconds long but they really make me laugh.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I made a few silly videos of my daughter Nova "saying" things.

https://youtu.be/wdkIPzQSHgM

https://youtu.be/brC_RQPkRAE

https://youtu.be/xn0Diq7gbqw

https://youtu.be/eFYXEzA2_vk

https://youtu.be/i2aYswfByWg

https://youtu.be/Q7CZflnZREE

They are all less than 20 seconds long but they really make me laugh.

These are all amazing. I think your baby watches too much Breitbart though :ohdear:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

She's just asking the tough questions.

She will also do this while at the park.

"Daddy, lady. See lady?"

"Yes, Nova I see her"

"She all butt" *all is her stand-in word for big for some reason*

"Yes I know"

At this point she follows the lady around going "butt butt butt butt" for a while.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Basically "night-night".

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beer_Suitcase posted:

She's just asking the tough questions.

She will also do this while at the park.

"Daddy, lady. See lady?"

"Yes, Nova I see her"

"Yes I know"

At this point she follows the lady around going "butt butt butt butt" for a while.

Youtube autoplay tells me your baby suffered from a bout of spookiness. I'm glad that cleared up

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Beer_Suitcase posted:

"Yes I know"

This is drunk me.

last year's remedial class posted:

LEO: "Someday, my English will be so great."
ME: "yeah? What do you plan to do when your English improves?"
LEO: *staring wistfully into the distance* "I will go to the Australia...I ride motorbike. I ride motorbike next to water. Long golden hair...flying...it flying in the wind."
ME: "Um...your hair?"
LEO: "YES. So beautiful."
*discussion occurs*
LEO: "Oh, poo poo, girl! GIRL HAIR! I no golden hair, I am Chinese guy!"
TOM: "You are Chinese gay, not guy."
LEO: "gently caress you mother!"

I'm posting this because Leo is now, indeed, heading to the Australia. :3:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm posting this because Leo is now, indeed, heading to the Australia. :3:

Sometimes dreams DO come true!
hope he likes venomous animals, and racism!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Sometimes dreams DO come true!
hope he likes venomous animals, and racism!

Yes, and too rich to care, in that order.

He's actually a very talented artist, but he was (at this point) probably the best example of a worthless tuhao ever. However, it's not exactly his fault, as he grew up extremely spoiled. His mother will literally give him anything because she ruined his life. See, the man he thought was his father? Not his father. His real father is dead. He discovered this as a middle school student and apparently just stopped doing anything except buying poo poo online, playing video games, and riding his Kawasaki Ninja. Ever see a very very fat man on a Ninja? It's funny.

Last year, he almost died from poor nutrition. Massively overweight, never ate anything except fried chicken and instant ramen. Had to be hospitalized and was put on such a strict regimen that he couldn't come back to school for over a month because it couldn't be accommodated. When he showed back up, he'd lost buckets of weight, and his skin had cleared up. AND HE WAS INTERACTING WITH PEOPLE! It was great. He really fixed a lot of his poo poo.

He has a Porsche now. Custom rims, metallic paint job that changes color, the whole deal. Gotta be even better than a girl with golden hair.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yes, and too rich to care, in that order.

He's actually a very talented artist, but he was (at this point) probably the best example of a worthless tuhao ever. However, it's not exactly his fault, as he grew up extremely spoiled. His mother will literally give him anything because she ruined his life. See, the man he thought was his father? Not his father. His real father is dead. He discovered this as a middle school student and apparently just stopped doing anything except buying poo poo online, playing video games, and riding his Kawasaki Ninja. Ever see a very very fat man on a Ninja? It's funny.

Last year, he almost died from poor nutrition. Massively overweight, never ate anything except fried chicken and instant ramen. Had to be hospitalized and was put on such a strict regimen that he couldn't come back to school for over a month because it couldn't be accommodated. When he showed back up, he'd lost buckets of weight, and his skin had cleared up. AND HE WAS INTERACTING WITH PEOPLE! It was great. He really fixed a lot of his poo poo.

He has a Porsche now. Custom rims, metallic paint job that changes color, the whole deal. Gotta be even better than a girl with golden hair.

He should definitely go to Australia and ride motorcycles. They have Toby Price who is faster than everyone and used to (much like Leo) be a fat little boy.

Look at this video, it's not even sped up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6tLFLhEp10

There are certainly worse folks to be inspired by, if you're looking to give him a nudge in that direction.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
From a longform I'm reading in Vanity Fair about a scam artist (can't remember if it's from Longforms or from Creepy/Unnerving), this bit from his childhood:

quote:

When Strangis was about three years old and living in a raised ranch house in Brockton, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston, he pulled a pair of dice out of his pocket and uttered, “Baby needs a new pair of shoes.”

Link, for the curious: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/11/how-sarma-melngailis-became-a-runaway-fugitive

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Calling Brockton a suburb of Boston is stretching it. It's 25 miles away and not even in the same county.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Sleep in French is dormir, so kiddy speak is dodo. It tends to cross over into English in bilingual areas.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I took French for like ten years and never learned this, and it's super cute.

And confusing, because "fais do-do" is Louisiana Cajun for a big-rear end party, so now I know the etymology behind that 'cause I've always wondered.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My five year old daughter and I were reading a book on the human body and she said that if your skin was gone you'd just be a skeleton. I mentioned that this would kill you. She didn't agree.

"Sometimes skeletons can be alive. One time I went to Skeleton Park and a bunch of skeletons attacked me but I defeated all of them because I had 500 HP and they only had 1 HP and then they turned into normal skeletons."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

U-DO Burger posted:

My five year old daughter and I were reading a book on the human body and she said that if your skin was gone you'd just be a skeleton. I mentioned that this would kill you. She didn't agree.

"Sometimes skeletons can be alive. One time I went to Skeleton Park and a bunch of skeletons attacked me but I defeated all of them because I had 500 HP and they only had 1 HP and then they turned into normal skeletons."

If you'd asked me in 1989 which bits of my nerd hobbies would enter mainstream culture to the extent that small children referenced them casually, I never would have guessed "the hit point system from D&D."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think I posted last year about how I dress as Batman every Free Comic Book Day, and a little girl told me that Batman doesn't smile. Same girl this year, dressed as Supergirl this time, sweet as pie until we take a picture. "Batman doesn't smile."

Best part of my day. That's saying something when I got to drink Ecto Cooler with the Detroit Ghostbusters.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
My four year old came in as I was photoshopping real estate photos.

The photo of the laundry room looked awful because the front load dryer was full of multicolored underwear. I started the process of editing out the circus of undies.

As soon as I was done, he slowly turned to me with a disturbed look on his face.

"Did you just take the clothes out of the picture, or did you really just take the clothes out of the dryer?"

He honestly wanted to know if I was some sort of wizard who can edit poo poo out of photos and they disappear from reality.

Shoozy
Apr 11, 2007

Nermal. posted:

He honestly wanted to know if I was some sort of wizard who can edit poo poo out of photos and they disappear from reality.

I didn't understand how instant coffee worked and I guess I never saw her put the mix in the cups so I used to think my mom was magically making the water turn into coffee

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Shoozy posted:

I didn't understand how instant coffee worked and I guess I never saw her put the mix in the cups so I used to think my mom was magically making the water turn into coffee

When my friend was little, she thought her mom was making her contact lenses when she took them out of the liquid in the case each morning, like pressing the liquid in a way that made it into a contact lens.

Lamprotornis
Jun 28, 2004

My happy place~
I used to think "dammit" meant something like "to throw down a stick or a hand-tool" because that's what I always saw my dad do when he said the word.

One of my earliest memories is standing in the kitchen, repeatedly and happily throwing a plastic toy hammer on the floor and saying "dammit" while my mom laughed and dad wore a sheepish smile.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lamprotornis posted:

I used to think "dammit" meant something like "to throw down a stick or a hand-tool" because that's what I always saw my dad do when he said the word.

One of my earliest memories is standing in the kitchen, repeatedly and happily throwing a plastic toy hammer on the floor and saying "dammit" while my mom laughed and dad wore a sheepish smile.

This owns :3:

Much cuter than the 2 year old kid my mom babysat back in the day whose vocab consisted entirely of "Mommy work" and "Daddy beer". :smith:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lamprotornis posted:

Yeah, I remember being a small kid and misunderstanding words. Like thinking stand-offish meant to be very aggressive and upfront.

Oh wait, no, that was in my mid-twenties.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Samovar posted:

Yeah, I remember being a small kid and misunderstanding words. Like thinking stand-offish meant to be very aggressive and upfront.

You're thinking of Mexican standoffish

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Samovar posted:

Christ guys stop worrying, the sign says inflammable :rolleyes:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Shoozy posted:

My uncle had seven-year-old me convinced that fiddling with a certain Christmas tree ornament made the phone ring. Looking back, he must've been watching for when I'd do it and then calling from another line or something----but drat if he didn't have me completely fooled.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samovar posted:

I still do that sometimes (ASL), mostly with pronunciations tho. I remember being in America for the idk 3rd time, definitely in my 20s, saying "Peet-ro" instead of "Pay-dro"...

also i believe this is the origin story of rihanna

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Do teenagers count?

ME: "Hi, Student, I like your shirt."
STUDENT: :byodame: "I LIKE YOUR BOOBS!!!!!" :byodame:
ME: :wtc:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

I still do that sometimes (ASL), mostly with pronunciations tho. I remember being in America for the idk 3rd time, definitely in my 20s, saying "Peet-ro" instead of "Pay-dro"...

also i believe this is the origin story of rihanna

In freshman year Spanish my name was Pedro, so he one of my friends signed my yearbook to Pedro.

Later, my youngest brother stole my yearbook out of my room and read through it. He came up to me and said "Hello PEDRO!" except he pronounced it as Ped-ro. I still call him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bobby Digital posted:

In freshman year Spanish my name was Pedro, so he one of my friends signed my yearbook to Pedro.

Later, my youngest brother stole my yearbook out of my room and read through it. He came up to me and said "Hello PEDRO!" except he pronounced it as Ped-ro. I still call him that.

"Ped-ro" in my head sounds almost correct

My brothers called me "Mike OJ Simpson" for a while for some reason. One of my brothers was called "M____ MaTypewriter" by a dude we knew, and he'd type on the shade of his cap like it was the keyboard of a typewriter. We never figured out where that idea came from.... It's like that old joke about how kids can figure out how to poo poo on your name no matter what your name is.