Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's a water sword, so you end up splitting elements. It's a giant hit in damage, unless you're running her alongside somebody who breaks water as well as Fryevia breaks ice.

How does multi element weapons affect damage in the end? I thought the way dual wield works is that you hit once with your stats and element adjusted for one of the weapons elements, and then the second attack is done calculating the damage and element of the second weapon.

I was thinking of giving my Eileen a moonblade and DKS, but if it interacts negatively with her artisan and her earth piercing then I'd rather just give her a blade mastery and genjiblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How does multi element weapons affect damage in the end? I thought the way dual wield works is that you hit once with your stats and element adjusted for one of the weapons elements, and then the second attack is done calculating the damage and element of the second weapon.

I was thinking of giving my Eileen a moonblade and DKS, but if it interacts negatively with her artisan and her earth piercing then I'd rather just give her a blade mastery and genjiblade.

It's my understanding, which could be wrong, is that your attacks become both dark and earth but the enemy resists against the average of both resistances meaning your debuff would effectively be half as effective. This is based off the wiki info for the Dark Esper trial:

"A dual-element attack which includes an element that the Esper resists at 200% will be fully resisted even when the esper has no resistance to the other element (200% and 0% average to 100%)."

So if you ran against an enemy with 0% resist against both elements, and then debuffed it, it would find the average between the debuff and 0% and that's what the effective resist would be. In the case of piledriver that would be -25%.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 6, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Elemental Resistance is averaged across all applicable elements. Which means that for defending, it's great, since you could simply boost one resistance to 200% to make yourself immune from a dual-element attack.

But for attacking, it means that the more elements you attack with, the easier it is for it to have a resistance to at least one element, which causes it to resist the entire attack.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
So I foolishly linked a not good starting roll to my main facebook account. Am I forever stuck with this account, or is it possible to reroll it somehow? I'm playing on a non-rooted Pixel XL if that matters.

e: Well, by not good starting rolls, I got a 4* Kefka, 4* Soliel, and 5* Agrias. I'm not far into the story, only just got my first Esper.

e2: And I just pulled 2 Minfillias from the raid pull. No Y'shtola though yet.

Chaitai fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 6, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Chaitai posted:

So I foolishly linked a not good starting roll to my main facebook account. Am I forever stuck with this account, or is it possible to reroll it somehow? I'm playing on a non-rooted Pixel XL if that matters.

e: Well, by not good starting rolls, I got a 4* Kefka, 4* Soliel, and 5* Agrias. I'm not far into the story, only just got my first Esper.

e2: And I just pulled 2 Minfillias from the raid pull. No Y'shtola though yet.

You can't reroll a linked account, but you can just make a new FB account and reroll until you find a roll you like then link to that. Make sure to put some make pictures or whatever up on the account so you it doesn't get flagged as a fake account.

Also highly suggest you reroll, you didn't roll anything so amazing that it's worth keeping and this is the only time you can practically guarantee yourself any unit in the game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ratmtattat posted:

For my TMs, I'm leaning towards doing something silly like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/6eb0mf/delita_full_spirit_support_build_exvius_wiki/

Since I can't seem to pull a bunch of the really desirable units I may as well try something to have fun with the game regardless.

I was looking at this and with a few unreleased TMs, particularly 9Ss, Delita can be a solid support unit (anyone could though) although his MP pool is still hilariously low. That extra 5% on a break seem small at first but its a pretty big one when most other "good" breakers break for 45%-50%. It came down to like an extra 56% damage over a ling/wol. Horribly situational but with his MP regain potentially getting you 30mp/turn for 5 turns and 9s TM giving him a strong HoT, physical flat reduction, treasure hunter and a good chaining ability he can potentially find a spot in a lot of teams even if the enemy is break resistant. If its not then go hog wild, delita would be a fantastic force multiplier that pays for itself if you happen to have two strong units already.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Splitting elements is good in two cases, and otherwise is absolute garbage.

1) 3+ people chaining together only need one of their elements to match, so if you're chaining people who have very different weapon selections, as long as you can make sure nobody will have -no- matching weapon to anybody else, you can full elemental chain.

2) Chaining works like so: Your base chain is +0.1. Each matching element is + 0.4. If you take two lightnings, give them each a water weapon and a fire weapon, and then use ice blitz, the first one will hit at 1x, the second one will hit at 2.3x. A third with the same lineup would hit at 3.6x. Using the same weapons with area blast, which is 5 hits, will have the first hit at 1, the next at 1.9, the next at 2.8, the fourth at 3.7, and the fifth and subsequent hits at the max 4x.

This means with 2 Lightning, you get 6 out of 10 hits at the full 4x damage. With 3, that goes to 11/15, and with 4, it goes to 16/20. For a long time, I was running 3 lightnings as my front line in arena, and if you remember that video of 5 queens going at it on that rare drop guy in her event, it pretty much looks like that. Nothing survives but a dodge build, period. You can do this with any character with a good multi-hit attack, for instance, Setzer. two dual wielding setzers with two matching element weapons will deal aoe 3500ish damage each, twice, in arena with prismatic flash, instead of 999. And if a dodge build survives that, start dropping slots for joker death.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So there's this dude on GameFAQs who has a Ling that can solo the Dark Espers.

It's Rainbow Robe, Melody of Life x3, Quick Assault, Ring of the Lucii x2, Diablos.

I entered the queue for friending there, it's taking a while to get to me. Anygoon have a unit like that?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
The things I would do for 3 calamity writs

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's Rainbow Robe, Melody of Life x3, Quick Assault, Ring of the Lucii x2, Diablos.

I entered the queue for friending there, it's taking a while to get to me. Anygoon have a unit like that?

Working on a Lightning version of that, but still need two more Melodies. :(

e: v go die in a fire :p

Dana Crysalis fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 7, 2017

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

I could if you can send me a second Noctis :v:

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I have TMR indecisiveness. I have all my good phys TMRs done so I started working on HP +30%s/Hill Diggers but after seeing the other +30% HP TMRs coming down the pipe, I switched to Edgar(s) since the robocop trial is next. I guess having a Machine Killer or two lying around could be useful past the trial too.

Defensive TMRs are too boring. :(

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Fenrir posted:

I could if you can send me a second Noctis :v:

i like how our orlandus are almost identical stat wise

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dana Crysalis posted:

Working on a Lightning version of that, but still need two more Melodies. :(

e: v go die in a fire :p

Don't be mad, I'm way behind all of you guys in my TM grinding.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Yeah I'm currently grinding magic TMs since the game is insisting on giving me all of the game's best mages. As soon as I finish Dark Fina's and a few Shantottos, I'm starting on a couple of Vanille's Magistral Crests.

Defensive TMs are way down my list; its taking awhile because I don't refill my stam with Lapis to grind, but I do want to eventually do some Melodies of Life (I have 6 Garnets).

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Whats a good strat for Wilhelm?

Magic burst him or slowly chip at him with Cid's?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

I thought two Cid could take him apart if the rest of the team had the defensive matrix up and running?

It took me a little while to figure out how to chain my singular 700-something Orlandeu (don't have the things from Dark Ifrit & Siren or grinding out my Shines what will make him ) to get 27-chains... hit the Cids almost at the same time.

I could use the moogle, but... I understand TM grinding now, I have a system working for me and everything.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
yeh Ive had problems chaining Cid's together. Literally do it maybe 3 frames apart and still doesnt chain.

I have done the full chain but its rare. Still 2 chains of 11 is still good good damage

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just chip away, keep ATK/MAG break up at all times, protectga or embolden, dispell his buffs or have Xon steal it, and whoever gets hit with stop attack them with fingersnap.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Doesnt Dispel also work to remove stop?

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I have TMR indecisiveness. I have all my good phys TMRs done so I started working on HP +30%s/Hill Diggers but after seeing the other +30% HP TMRs coming down the pipe, I switched to Edgar(s) since the robocop trial is next. I guess having a Machine Killer or two lying around could be useful past the trial too.

Defensive TMRs are too boring. :(

You can never have enough HP +30%s, this I have discovered from Titan Trial. That said, I'm prolly just TMing the two Guys I have. I have like 5 Amarants, might mash them all together for another one if I end up fwith some of the better HP30s.

Don't be mad, I'm way behind all of you guys in my TM grinding.

No, I was yelling at Fenrir for wanting a second Noctis when he has almost every 5* in the game. :p

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
So should I grind up two Kaiser Knuckles for Kelsus? He can dual-wield as long as he's using fists weapons and I'm sitting on a pile of Xiao's. The real question is, is Kelsus worth using?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I made a comment in discord today about wanting to get his "event" done as soon as possible, and the consensus was that there was no great quality about him.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shoenin posted:

Here's how I got most of the rewards for that fight:

Bring defensive party with a friend Fry, keep on breaks and buffs for a while. At some point most of my party dies and I set my phone down with just Xon alive.

An hour later, I start up Nox and get the victory screen with all the non-kill rewards.

Easy!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Keeping a running tally of Titan Trual NRG used. So far, 160. I can't believe how bullshit RNG this thing is.

Also, whatever changes they made to de/buff timers and icons is really screwing me over. I can't tell what lasts how long anymore.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

HGH posted:

Keeping a running tally of Titan Trual NRG used. So far, 160. I can't believe how bullshit RNG this thing is.

Also, whatever changes they made to de/buff timers and icons is really screwing me over. I can't tell what lasts how long anymore.

I kept myself kind of a turn guide for Titan. Obviously RNG can ruin it, but it helps.

For example, Crush Weapon would be used on Turn 1, Turn 5 (since he doesn't attack turn 4 if you bring him down to threshold then, make sure you target him and not the heart), Turn 8 (turn that you should kill the heart). I killed him on Turn 11 so I didn't do any more Crush Weapons.

In general I plotted out my full run and while I probably came one tumult from getting screwed at least one round, I was able to mostly keep to the schedule. I ran with Cecil as a tank, and I would definitely provoke on Turn 7, LB on Turn 8, then summon Golem on Turn 9.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, the final cost was 200NRG but it's all done. Thanks to the stupid buff display bug I actually jotted down each and every move used on what turn. Took half an hour and came down to the wire. Only Sakura died but my MP was out, my buffs were on their last turn, and my barriers were down.
One last Minfilia buff on Orlandeau and Northswain's Strike got me the win. That move is so drat good for its cost.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think I die a little inside every time I gently caress up and forget to swap teams when I TM farm.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shoenin posted:

i used a team of olive/snow/ling/yshtola/chiz with a friend freyvia so i had a little bit of mixed damage and could chain a tiny bit. it was sort of slow going and i completely forgot to bring bushido freedom so the dispelling was a bit obnoxious, but snow could solo tank it effortlessly. i did have odin on ling for relatively low stakes fingersnap if snow got stopped on a turn where his provoke would wear off before stop did.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i've rerolled about 70 times and have gotten zilch (a wilheim but google says to reroll that too since wilheim is good not great on its own)

i'm using nox to reroll so its not too bad but still sucks

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

boy are my arms tired posted:

i've rerolled about 70 times and have gotten zilch (a wilheim but google says to reroll that too since wilheim is good not great on its own)

It sucks, but it would suck even more if you didn't reroll and then later realized how you had a chance to get the best unit in the game for free and then didn't.

Optimally you're looking for Orlandeau, Aileen or Fryevia.

Olive, Noctis, and Gilgamesh I would also consider worth stopping on.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Is there any decent holy weapon Setzer can use for elemental chaining up to an Excalibur finisher?

Side note, farming lucky seedlings blows. I have 2 4* max level Setzers and that's the only thing I'm missing. To get one to 6* (almost both really).

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

PaybackJack posted:

It sucks, but it would suck even more if you didn't reroll and then later realized how you had a chance to get the best unit in the game for free and then didn't.

Optimally you're looking for Orlandeau, Aileen or Fryevia.

Olive, Noctis, and Gilgamesh I would also consider worth stopping on.

Cool, thanks!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Ugato posted:

Is there any decent holy weapon Setzer can use for elemental chaining up to an Excalibur finisher?

Side note, farming lucky seedlings blows. I have 2 4* max level Setzers and that's the only thing I'm missing. To get one to 6* (almost both really).

I don't think Setzer can equip any Light/Holy weapons, since they're all spears/greatswords.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shoenin posted:

yeh Ive had problems chaining Cid's together. Literally do it maybe 3 frames apart and still doesnt chain.

I have done the full chain but its rare. Still 2 chains of 11 is still good good damage

Use two fingers and tap both units at the same time.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

boy are my arms tired posted:

Having just gone through this, make sure you aren't tossing out good rolls. I don't know how many accounts I trashed because they didn't have that purple/pink looking base I thought came with 5*s.

After realizing my mistake, I collected 10 accounts with a 5* on it and kept those around. I would get the new player and daily rewards on them, and summon as much more as I could (all while playing with Noctis on my phone). I ended up using the account with Reberta and Trance Terra, not the ideal starters from the OP or wiki, but I was happy to have more than one. The next two days I got another two 5*'s and I'm glad I kept at it.
It took about a week to get through the grind, but I enjoyed creating and running macros and multiple accounts at once.

Noob question for the thread: I bought the Wilhelm awakening bundle for 15,000 gil and I'm only able to awaken Dark Fina with the materials. I can't farm Divine Crystals yet (I think?), so I can't awaken Reberta, who I figure I should do first since she is a Chainer.

Should I just awaken Dark Fina now, or wait until I have the Crystals to awaken Reberta?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

suuma posted:

I don't think Setzer can equip any Light/Holy weapons, since they're all spears/greatswords.

Alright, this is what I thought was the case. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Ugato posted:

For chaining+finisher you only need to pair the chainers' elements in order to maximize the multiplier from the chain. The finisher can be a different element or non-elemental, it benefits from the chain multiplier the same(*), assuming your finisher is a one-hit move like Firion's Fin Briar.

(*) Unless your chain isn't getting to the max multiplier. Even then the benefits for pairing chain+finisher elements are marginal.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Dana Crysalis posted:

You can never have enough HP +30%s, this I have discovered from Titan Trial. That said, I'm prolly just TMing the two Guys I have. I have like 5 Amarants, might mash them all together for another one if I end up fwith some of the better HP30s.

Yea, you're right. I'll probably start working on HP 30%s next. Would be nice if we got Rasler or Crowe soon-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Started playing last month, I played Summoners War for over a year and this game is a little overwhelming.

I was lucky enough to pull Orlandeau without re-rolling from the 1/2 price summon and have him in a party w/ Cecil, Cloud of Darkness, Refia, and King, so far I've completed the first island. I've read through the OP but what should I be doing apart from progressing through content while leveling my main team, hoping for TM increases, and getting through the colosseum? I've mostly been saving my tickets for 11 pulls. I also just grabbed Y'shtola, should I prioritize her over Refia?

• Locked thread