Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I dunno, I could've seen Magane starting to plot against Altair to avoid dying and/or losing the fun new world she's in, but instead she chose to gently caress with Alice and Sota for kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

Actually, that was kind of another contrived thing. Why in the world would Mamika have singled out Meteora?

To make her stop talking maybe

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

YF-23 posted:

I dunno, I could've seen Magane starting to plot against Altair to avoid dying and/or losing the fun new world she's in, but instead she chose to gently caress with Alice and Sota for kicks.

She does say she's going to "set a trap" for Altair as well (and offers to team up against her with Meteora, which is an obviously bad idea), but you can't expect her to just not gently caress with these idiots if she gets the chance!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Episodes being entirely pointless? In this anime? Say it isn't so :v:

That's one of the worst things about the fights in this show, I think. Nothing really happens with most of them.

Let's compare to, oh, LWA, with the Amanda episode. The fight at the end had clear stakes (if Amanda lost, she'd be tortured. She wins, she's got the rights to the Holy Grail.) and a clear conclusion (Amanda kicked the dude's rear end, even when someone summoned a suit of magic armor).

Most fights in this are just kind of... there. No clear consequences for victory or defeat, and they mostly end with people running off to lick their wounds. (It's also a reminder why most shows have grunts, redshirts, and similar disposables. If the stakes are supposed to be life and death, it's useful to have someone who can die without major narrative impact.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Clarste posted:

Good point. It should be a permanent effect, so it's still around. I'm guessing Alice is going to kill Meteora first though, or else this episode was entirely pointless.

I mean

once Magane is dead Yuya's sword doesn't HAVE to work on her.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also I disagree with the notion that nothing has changed. Before Alice was focusing on acting on Altair's orders and doing things like kidnapping her creator and recruiting other creations. Her fights with Team Meteora were part of her mission, never something she was actively pursuing. Now she's specifically gunning to take out Meteora with immediacy, instead of facing whomever gets in her way in future efforts.

As for "why target Meteora", Magane's pretty drat observant, and she's seen Meteora acting with clear moral support and in a leadership capacity. Celesia was clearly taking her orders in the fight on the riverside, and she was trying to be a sense of moral guidance to Souta in a scene we know Magane was observing, so it makes perfect sense why Magane singled her out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope my friend Meteora stays safe.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If the show did a better job showing the anime character's backgrounds and plots I feel like I would be able to relate to them more. But alas, we are stuck with lovely, lovely, screenwriting.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well, I gave it a good attempt, made it seven episodes, and I'm done with this I think. Maybe I'll give it another go once the run's finished if I hear it picks up later, but as it is it's just kinda bad. It's way too "light novel", and not in the fun schlocky kind of way but in the dreary, tedious manner where you can't even enjoy the badness. People have brought up the :words: issue already but that's really just a symptom... most of the actual issues include the plot is as shallow as a tidepool and thoroughly predictable, the character interactions are either one-note or painfully forced cliche poo poo like "character keeps secret because the plot demands it", and the exposition just feels like the author is deeply in love with their worldbuilding that isn't a tenth as interesting as they seem to think it is.

There's lots of other stuff with the design and direction that are kind of... mediocre and off-putting too. This is kind of a subjective example and I'm sure someone will rush to disagree, but the character design is horrible. Take a look at the cast, and now assume you knew nothing about the show's premise... with the exception of maybe Mamika, would you honestly assume they came from different worlds, let alone entirely different genres? And everything else seems to have that same sort of half-assed direction to it, and it's impossible to ignore once you realize it. I managed to stick with it for this many episodes because the premise is interesting, but wow they've basically just squandered it in mediocrity.

Okay yeah that review came off harsher than I was planning, but ugh.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Asimo posted:

Well, I gave it a good attempt, made it seven episodes, and I'm done with this I think. Maybe I'll give it another go once the run's finished if I hear it picks up later, but as it is it's just kinda bad. It's way too "light novel", and not in the fun schlocky kind of way but in the dreary, tedious manner where you can't even enjoy the badness. People have brought up the :words: issue already but that's really just a symptom... most of the actual issues include the plot is as shallow as a tidepool and thoroughly predictable, the character interactions are either one-note or painfully forced cliche poo poo like "character keeps secret because the plot demands it", and the exposition just feels like the author is deeply in love with their worldbuilding that isn't a tenth as interesting as they seem to think it is.

There's lots of other stuff with the design and direction that are kind of... mediocre and off-putting too. This is kind of a subjective example and I'm sure someone will rush to disagree, but the character design is horrible. Take a look at the cast, and now assume you knew nothing about the show's premise... with the exception of maybe Mamika, would you honestly assume they came from different worlds, let alone entirely different genres? And everything else seems to have that same sort of half-assed direction to it, and it's impossible to ignore once you realize it. I managed to stick with it for this many episodes because the premise is interesting, but wow they've basically just squandered it in mediocrity.

Okay yeah that review came off harsher than I was planning, but ugh.

I expect this show will be used as a future case study for how NOT to write something.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
I must be a terrible goon, since I'm actually enjoying this and like Meteora as a character. Same with Magane.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Brownieftw posted:

I must be a terrible goon, since I'm actually enjoying this and like Meteora as a character. Same with Magane.

Same here, friend. Meteora and Magane are great

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I don't really see this show going far enough to get value out of having such a large and varied cast so I tune in for Magane doing Magane things every week and the rest of it is worthless. It's kind of fitting that her skill is all about communication when the major plot points are all miscommunications.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah this poo poo sucks rear end and I knew i shouldn't have wasted my time on it. bye.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

He looks awfully disappointed getting a look up her skirt. Maybe Magane's actually a boy?

Zodack posted:

As much as I loathe Meteora I think in this case it's fair to say it's an educated guess based on what she knows and observes. She's a smart mage or something, after all.

Meteora lived in a library, chance is she likes to read. She probably powered through all material featuring Magane to learn about her powers and countering them.

Also, I'd like to think that characters don't disappear from their stories when they're pulled into the real world. It's more likely they're copies of the character, with knowledge, morals etc. from the point in the story they were copied out of. Question is if it's really Altair doing the pulling-out, whether it's a power unique to her, or whether she has just learned to replicate the phenomenon in some way. So yes they can probably re-create Mamika!

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

nielsm posted:

He looks awfully disappointed getting a look up her skirt. Maybe Magane's actually a boy?

The underside of her skirt looks like the shadows around her lovecraft monsters, there's nothing there for him.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Not that I'm against Miracle Boy Magane.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm holding out hope that all these things they keep talking about will happen on camera.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Yeah this poo poo sucks rear end and I knew i shouldn't have wasted my time on it. bye.

I kinda dropped it at episode 5, but I'm not sure I'd say it sucks rear end, and that's part of why it's so frustrating.

It's just disappointing. Not even the interesting kind of bad, but... boring.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mediocrity, universally, is the worst fate a medium can suffer, a fate worse than even infamy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Mediocrity, universally, is the worst fate a medium can suffer, a fate worse than even infamy.

Of course.

As a wise man once said, infamous is reserved for when you're more than famous.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Welp, regretting that I didn't post "Why don't they just tweet the illustration?" earlier, but so it goes.

This show isn't very good, is it. The characters are just so frustratingly tiresome.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Seems like the best strategic move the team could make at this point would be to sew everyone's mouths shut because they cannot stop loving chatting with Magane.

Also, was there any foreshadowing or explanation of Altair's ability to make Selesia's sword be made of rose petals, or is that just part of her Mary Sue-ness?

Some cool animation this episode at least.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

darkgray posted:

Welp, regretting that I didn't post "Why don't they just tweet the illustration?" earlier, but so it goes.

This show isn't very good, is it. The characters are just so frustratingly tiresome.

The first episode was so much fun. It's like they thought up the premise for the first couple episodes and promptly ran out of ideas.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Really don't understand the threads hate-on for the series. It's pretty great and this episode was fantastic. Half-way through I was thinking we might just be going for a total team wipe and the show would go in some really out there directions.

Hargrimm posted:

Also, was there any foreshadowing or explanation of Altair's ability to make Selesia's sword be made of rose petals, or is that just part of her Mary Sue-ness

She did the same thing to her mech in the first episode. Its just one of her powers.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 10, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think things would have worked better if Alice wasn't such a blithering idiot that she actually believed anything Magane said. So I'm basically of the opinion right now she's the worst character, even past Mr Criminally Underused Blitz.

Still watching, and yes, why hadn't they tweeted the illustration before?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Really don't understand the threads hate-on for the series. It's pretty great and this episode was fantastic. Half-way through I was thinking we might just be going for a total team wipe and the show would go in some really out there directions.

We're all hating on the show because the writing is godawful. Everything feels like the screenwriter is forcibly steering the characters into unreasonable behaviour, just so the plot can move in whatever direction he is dead set on. It results in a sense of people being artificial and frustrating to watch. There's little joy in watching idiots act stupid over and over.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

We're all hating on the show because the writing is godawful. Everything feels like the screenwriter is forcibly steering the characters into unreasonable behaviour, just so the plot can move in whatever direction he is dead set on. It results in a sense of people being artificial and frustrating to watch. There's little joy in watching idiots act stupid over and over.

Well, most of the time. JiWaWaWa is a thing that exists. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Magane is very quickly becoming super tiresome for me because her power is entirely reliant on the writing making people behave incredibly stupidly. It working on random innocents who don't know what she is makes sense, but it working in the middle of battle is a bit of a stretch, and it working more than once in the same fight against the same person is pretty much ridiculous, especially when that person was just informed about how her power works and has previously been written to be observant.

That said, the episode was pretty good compared to the last bunch. The most important thing is that we had actually significant plot revelations that occurred without people loving reading them off the script to us(Revisions to the story can change a character who has already been pulled into this world, Altair has some sort of operational limit to her ridiculous god mode powers) which is a massive step up for the show up to this point. It also managed to recapture some of the amazingly entertaining ludicrousness of the show's premise - "please let my tweet go viral so we can win this fight" is probably the funniest moment in the series so far in a vacuum. If we can get more episodes where they show more and tell less like this we'll be back on track.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

darkgray posted:

Thats some hyperbole there. Very little of the behavior is unreasonable and its all perfectly in character. Yuuya is a hotheaded, aggressive thug. Of course he's gonna get tricked by Megane after several frustrating minutes of failing to land a scratch on her and her hitting him right in a sore spot. Of course Alice isn't thinking straight, she's traumatized by failing to save anyone in her own story and then Mamika died right in front of her. These are the characters. If you want genius' having logic chess, go read Death Note. But this show is about a bunch of pastiche's interacting and so far they're acting just how they should be given their personalities and parodies. We're here to see a magical girl fight a persona and we're getting that.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Thats some hyperbole there. Very little of the behavior is unreasonable and its all perfectly in character. Yuuya is a hotheaded, aggressive thug. Of course he's gonna get tricked by Megane after several frustrating minutes of failing to land a scratch on her and her hitting him right in a sore spot. Of course Alice isn't thinking straight, she's traumatized by failing to save anyone in her own story and then Mamika died right in front of her. These are the characters. If you want genius' having logic chess, go read Death Note. But this show is about a bunch of pastiche's interacting and so far they're acting just how they should be given their personalities and parodies. We're here to see a magical girl fight a persona and we're getting that.

This still just comes down to whether you enjoy watching idiots bumble around, then? If I thought that was entertaining, I'd just reread my own post history. :(

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

darkgray posted:

This still just comes down to whether you enjoy watching idiots bumble around, then? If I thought that was entertaining, I'd just reread my own post history. :(

Why do you have panties as your avatar?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I feel like the execution of the premise has been hugely lacking. The plot is delivered by a literal infodump character, the pastiches are not exploring their interesting qualities, and the human characters are terribly boring. The premise and first episode got my attention, but I feel somewhat cheated by the lackluster followup.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Why do you have panties as your avatar?

Once upon a time there was an avatar fairy who gave a dozen random ADTRW posters various butts, and I can't be assed to pay to get rid of mine.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Magane is already the kind of antagonist I really don't like: The one that's "supposed" to be extremely smart and clever, but in actual execution it's less that she's clever and more that everyone else is aggressively loving stupid when in her presence, as Kanos noted. Making it so she doesn't even really need her ability to activate to completely nullify Yuuya is just kind of going into overkill - there's no actual point to her being able to nullify his techniques if he fucks up talking to her if he flatout can't hit her to begin with. It's really offputting that she can apparently just have these straight-up fights with characters from apparently fight-heavy works - they seem like something she'd want to avoid entirely, but I'm under the impression the work she's from is supposed to be less battle-LN, more supernatural horror.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

darkgray posted:

Counterargument: Konosuba.

(Admittedly, Kazuma would have sorted out the whole mess in a matter of minutes, because Kazuma is actually invaluable in a crisis. It's everywhere else he fucks up.)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: Konosuba.

(Admittedly, Kazuma would have sorted out the whole mess in a matter of minutes, because Kazuma is actually invaluable in a crisis. It's everywhere else he fucks up.)

Well, I think there's a significant difference when playing it for comedy. Not sure that's the case here.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think this show is almost really really good

Like maybe 55%-60%

Sadly I think the part that trips it up seem to be inherent to the writing/plot of it, so I doubt that missing portion is going to be made up for

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kanos posted:

(Altair has some sort of operational limit to her ridiculous god mode powers)

The impression I got from her dialog was that it wasn't specifically due to her powers, just that when the apocalypse she's trying to cause occurs, she'll be the first one to go because she's the weakest link in reality at the moment. So her plan is to hold off on causing any more reality distortions until she can make a huge push all at once. Like how when a faultline builds up a lot of tension, the next earthquake is a lot larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

darkgray posted:

There's plenty of joy in watching idiots act stupid over and over, as long as it's character-driven idiocy, which, as you correctly note, this is not.

• Locked thread