Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I'm gonna need them to do this and bring back those transfers asap since this is where I'm heading for 8th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

Give me an Imperial Civil War please

Then the xenos will stand a chance for awhile :cthulhu: :orks:

Hey, Orks and Space Marines apparently bro'd out and fought together on Armageddon to stave off countless waves of demons.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

As someone getting into 40K at 8th edition, does FW rules mean they will be 8th compliant?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

berzerkmonkey posted:

That would have been a worthwhile idea.

As an aside, it's a dumb model in Epic as well - it's a pinpoint strike weapon for no good reason, so rather than a big boom, I can target an Ork mob with it and only wind up killing a single stand of Grots.

As you said it's an ICBM in a tactical game. If it was an actual vortex missile it would use a giant template that hung around and slowly ate up anything that came near it, or more likely it would simply wipe out the board.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hey, Orks and Space Marines apparently bro'd out and fought together on Armageddon to stave off countless waves of demons.

Orks have no problem fighting anyone, next to anyone, for anyone. It's part of their charm.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Soggy Chips posted:

As someone getting into 40K at 8th edition, does FW rules mean they will be 8th compliant?

Absolutely.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ferrus is dead forever because that's what happens when you mess with the best.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It's also because he wasn't actually big on the whole cyborg thing and removing the flavour of the army would be a bit of an own goal.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Artum posted:

It's also because he wasn't actually big on the whole cyborg thing and removing the flavour of the army would be a bit of an own goal.

"I don't like all this augmentation stuff."
"Oh really, MR METAL loving HANDS, you don't like it? gently caress you, got mine, that it?"

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh sure, Blood Ravens get rules from FW, and so do model-less Badab war characters, but does Bran Redmaw? Nope. Despite them telling me otherwise, he has no rules for 8th. (Which kind of sucks, seeing as I made some FW purchases based on their assurances that Bran would have rules)

Still, seeing more Blood Ravens on the table will be cool, especially if they get a Chaos version as well.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

"I don't like all this augmentation stuff."
"Oh really, MR METAL loving HANDS, you don't like it? gently caress you, got mine, that it?"

I'm not an artist so just imagine I drew manus as Adam jensen saying he didn't ask for this.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

muggins posted:

I'm really bummed at how bland the GSC is for the same type of reason as your Deathwatch stuff. I was planning to paint and play them first as my 8th Edition thing but I may just stick to Tyranids.

They keep a lot of their flavor, but their effectiveness is tone down or priced up. Cultists (8->11pts) are down to 2 attacks; Metamorphs (9->13pts) have to choose the Scythe, Rending Claws, or the crab claw to attack; Unquestioning Loyalty is a 4+ to slay a model for an HQ, not a chance to take a save for it; Purestrain Genestealers are 18 points. It's still a ton of fun to play them all, but I'm largely going to relegate the Cult to eating heavy armor and high T targets that Nids have trouble crunching (Drills got hilarious), & powerhammer Aberrants will still mop up things).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's also implied elsewhere that the Ultramarines got a huge boost in numbers around that time, suggesting they picked up the scraps/noviates

That's daemonic propaganda for convincing Word Bearers to embrace chaos.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Orks have no problem fighting anyone, next to anyone, for anyone. It's part of their charm.

Long as they're fightin', they don't care who else is fightin', on any side. :orks101:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:woop:

mango sentinel posted:

I'm gonna need them to do this and bring back those transfers asap since this is where I'm heading for 8th.

:same:
Need to paint the Captain at some point so I technically have a 1HQ 2xTroops composition of them. Even if I need more Bolter marines to fill out the blanks since I was a dumb and gave each squad a special or heavy weapon when they can't as a 5man.
Or couldn't maybe.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

Long as they're fightin', they don't care who else is fightin', on any side. :orks101:

And if the rest of the gits are dead, they'll fight each other!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Unquestioning Loyalty is a 4+ to slay a model for an HQ, not a chance to take a save for it;

That rule triggers after the character has had a chance to make a save, and chances are it would be better than the one the sacrificial model gets. All the wording does is prevent you making 2 saves for the same wound, just like Tyranid Tyrant Guard.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Does anyone have any thoughts on vanilla Marines in 8th? Coming from 5th where the trick was to spam cheap meltas, transports and TH/SS Terminators I'm overwhelmed by the breadth of options especially with Primaris stuff to consider as well.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cooked Auto posted:

:woop:

Need to paint the Captain at some point so I technically have a 1HQ 2xTroops composition of them. Even if I need more Bolter marines to fill out the blanks since I was a dumb and gave each squad a special or heavy weapon when they can't as a 5man.
Or couldn't maybe.

You're in luck, 5 man squads can take heavy weapon now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Artum posted:

You're in luck, 5 man squads can take heavy weapon now.

Aw yis. That's one worry solved then.
Would probably still need more bolter marines regardless but at least I can run with a teeny tiny allied force for my IG.
Now if I only could get more legs for all the drat bolter bodies I have.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

JBP posted:

The wolves were still the go to legion for dealing with perceived renegades and he didn't make much of a fuss when it came to killing them all, so it may not have been Russ' first rodeo.

All According to Plan. If the space marines actually were able to stop Horus and unify the galaxy, his sons wouldn't have a purpose. Sure humanity would be unified, but then eventually this:

JBP posted:

Pretty sure Russ, Vulkan and Khan are going to have mondo loving issues with this imperium and that Khan and Russ will be very much on the "apply bolt shells to the heads of anyone at the top" train.

would happen anyways, and turning brother against brother in a unified imperium. I'm convinced the Emperor martyred his sons in order to give them purpose.

Better to fight your brother when he's on the other side of the fence rather than in your own back yard. It's easier to justify when there is a line in the sand.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Pre-ordered the rule book and the Chaos index. I decided to go Night Lords for my main army under 8th, with the possibility to paint my pile of Orks from the old 5th ed. Box set as Evil Sunz.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on vanilla Marines in 8th? Coming from 5th where the trick was to spam cheap meltas, transports and TH/SS Terminators I'm overwhelmed by the breadth of options especially with Primaris stuff to consider as well.

My first thought is that "Vanilla Marines" is no longer a thing. The detachment rules make it so that you can have any force you want so long as they all have "Imperium" as a keyword. That said it seems like we're already seeing some pretty major considerations from the battle reports and rules:

1. The game is a lot faster than before, meaning things can move more aggressively and do a lot with positioning. With the preponderance of deep strike and fast moving units this means that the traditional gun line is gone. Assets need to be survivable and withstand attacks from all fronts.

2. There's a spectrum of threats ranging from hordes of low-wound models to high toughness, high wound vehicles and MCs. They require opposite approaches.

3. Vehicles are both far more expensive and far more survivable.

4. Assault is both more deadly and severely mitigated by the automatic fall-back rule.

5. Characters are significantly different, and now serve as both major boosters to an army's effectiveness through auras and also (for some armies) heavy hitters in combat.

So with that in mind my thoughts are that Marines remain hard to kill, jack-of-all-trades that can do reasonably well against everything but not perfectly against anything. The sheer quantity of choices lets you make an army that's tailored to your particular playing style. Personally I think bikes are really strong this edition; a unit of Veteran Bikers can carry special weapons while moving 20" per turn and still shoot on a 4+. So you can have units of bikers carrying meltaguns and storm shields for 56 points each. Razorbacks are terrifying because of how cheap they are; a Razorback with a twin assault cannon is 100 points and requires 10 wounds at T7 to kill while dumping 12 S6 shots into whatever needs killing. Land Raiders look to be ridiculously tough and also have a very nasty offensive capability.

So I guess it depends on what you want to play more than what's going to be the trick. Personally I like the idea of characters on bikes, veteran bikers with meltaguns, and lots of firepower to take on troops.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
If I'm reading the detachment rules correctly, where you only need 1 faction keyword to be the same, Could I have an detachment that looks like:

HQ
Space Marine Captain

TROOPS
Tactical Squad
Intercessor Squad
IG Infantry Squad

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator Annihilator
Leman Russ Tank

Basing this off the wording in the black box on page 240 of the rule book.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
What do you guys suppose is a strong counter to 3 squads of Havocs as Necrons? Models are already at a premium for me, so they're actually pretty good about deleting squads combined with his other forces, and they can also put a whallop on vehicles (My monolith melted in one turn...)

They can see pretty much anything across the map with the new line of sight rules.

My current thinking is night scythes with immortals/warriors dropping in and rapid firing them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geoff Zahn posted:

If I'm reading the detachment rules correctly, where you only need 1 faction keyword to be the same, Could I have an detachment that looks like:

HQ
Space Marine Captain

TROOPS
Tactical Squad
Intercessor Squad
IG Infantry Squad

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator Annihilator
Leman Russ Tank

I believe the answer is yes. And then if you had a second detachment it would also need to use the Imperium keyword to make the whole force Battle Forged.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Geoff Zahn posted:

HQ
Space Marine Captain

TROOPS
Tactical Squad
Intercessor Squad
IG Infantry Squad

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator Annihilator
Leman Russ Tank

Thats the idea.

The plan is that as codices come out you'll have detachments and stratagems more dependent on faction keywords rather than everyone relying on those same 3 generic ones as now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

Looking forward to having comparatively tiny Gabriel Angelos leading a bunch of Primaris bros.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

What do you guys suppose is a strong counter to 3 squads of Havocs as Necrons? Models are already at a premium for me, so they're actually pretty good about deleting squads combined with his other forces, and they can also put a whallop on vehicles (My monolith melted in one turn...)

They can see pretty much anything across the map with the new line of sight rules.

My current thinking is night scythes with immortals/warriors dropping in and rapid firing them.

Are the squads 5 or 10 men? What are they firing?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are the squads 5 or 10 men? What are they firing?

He's got two squads of 5 with autocannons and 1 squad of 5 with lascannons.

Good rolls on lascannons and a smite are what melted my monolith so fast. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke, we need to get more games in.

I had a hard time advancing on him with 5" footcrons though like I used to in 7th, which is totally fine, just trying to figure out what I need to do now.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

General Olloth posted:

Good rolls on lascannons and a smite are what melted my monolith so fast. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke, we need to get more games in.

I had a hard time advancing on him with 5" footcrons though like I used to in 7th, which is totally fine, just trying to figure out what I need to do now.

Immortals teleporting in from a Scythe/Monolith to rapid fire is probably your best bet, since you'll get a high volume of shots and the -1 penalty is good enough cause enough wounds that you'll crush their combat effectiveness pretty quickly.

4-autocannon havocs are one of the game's best units now imo, but they're also fragile, especially at only 5 models. Hell, even dropping a squad of rapid firing-warriors on them may get the job done--you need about 30 regular gauss flayer shots on average to delete a 5-man havoc squad, or 17 Guass Blaster shots.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I believe the answer is yes. And then if you had a second detachment it would also need to use the Imperium keyword to make the whole force Battle Forged.

Incorrect. Battle Forged just means you use the detachments and can use CP. You could have an Imperial Detachment and a Chaos Detachment in the same army and still be Battle Forged.

You're thinking of the Matched Play rules where in addition to being Battle Forged your whole army must share a faction keyword, plus other restrictions on using psychic powers, reinforcement points, etc.

In other news, Kromlech are releasing a new line of Squats:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Deathmarks might not be bad either, to drop in and blast the Havocs. Also would do good against any deep striking Characters.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
EDIT: Are deathmarks good now? ^^^

TheChirurgeon posted:

Immortals teleporting in from a Scythe/Monolith to rapid fire is probably your best bet, since you'll get a high volume of shots and the -1 penalty is good enough cause enough wounds that you'll crush their combat effectiveness pretty quickly.

4-autocannon havocs are one of the game's best units now imo, but they're also fragile, especially at only 5 models. Hell, even dropping a squad of rapid firing-warriors on them may get the job done--you need about 30 regular gauss flayer shots on average to delete a 5-man havoc squad, or 17 Guass Blaster shots.

Yep that's what I thought. I'll see what I can do. I've got 10 immortals with gauss blasters and 24 warriors built, and 12 more warriors on sprue at the moment. One night scythe put together and another in a box but those build real fast, they are like 10 pieces.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

General Olloth posted:

EDIT: Are deathmarks good now? ^^^

Snipers are good in general now. Being able to pick out characters is very powerful, and 6's now do mortal wounds in addtion to the regular wound.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Snipers are good in general now. Being able to pick out characters is very powerful, and 6's now do mortal wounds in addtion to the regular wound.

Hmm okay I'll try them out. I do have 10.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

Yeah that was definitely a fluke. A monolith with T8, 20 wounds, and a 3+ save is pretty hard to kill.

Autocannon: 2 x (4/6) * (2/6) * (3/6) * 2 = 0.4 Wounds / Turn
Lascannon: (4/6) * (4/6) * (5/6) * 3.5 = 1.3 Wounds / Turn

So on average 8 Autocannons and 4 Lascannons are going to remove 8.4 wounds from a Monolith.

Zark the Damned posted:

Incorrect. Battle Forged just means you use the detachments and can use CP. You could have an Imperial Detachment and a Chaos Detachment in the same army and still be Battle Forged.

You're thinking of the Matched Play rules where in addition to being Battle Forged your whole army must share a faction keyword, plus other restrictions on using psychic powers, reinforcement points, etc.

Good catch. At some point my brain will manage to accept that particular nuance.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I wish scouts didn't have a higher PL than tactical marines. In matched play I just bring guard to fill out my third troop slot and add some heavy weapons, but in narrative I want to build a fluffier space marine army. It's hard to get 3 troops in plus the other stuff I need at 100 PL without just using half-squads though. I'm thinking I might get a unit of intercessors just for narrative play since they're PL 6, the same as scouts.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah that was definitely a fluke. A monolith with T8, 20 wounds, and a 3+ save is pretty hard to kill.

Autocannon: 2 x (4/6) * (2/6) * (3/6) * 2 = 0.4 Wounds / Turn
Lascannon: (4/6) * (4/6) * (5/6) * 3.5 = 1.3 Wounds / Turn

So on average 8 Autocannons and 4 Lascannons are going to remove 8.4 wounds from a Monolith.

He got an 11 on his smite and then rolled a 6 on damage twice in that game. :negative:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Geoff Zahn posted:

HQ
Space Marine Captain

TROOPS
Tactical Squad
Intercessor Squad
IG Infantry Squad

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator Annihilator
Leman Russ Tank

As has been stated, yes. However, note that the Captain's special rule is `grants all nearby friendly <CHAPTER> units the ability to re-roll a result of 1 to hit` which means that your Leman Russ and IG Squad wouldn't benefit, just the Marines (assuming you picked the same chapter for all of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

What if I want primaris marines, but bigger?

• Locked thread