Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
idk what's wrong with me I had a great China day, I walked 30,000 steps, wrote a few emails, got some podcasts in, and watched the wire. no idea what I'll do tonight, I guess read? I have a cigar someone gave me maybe I'll go for a walk and smoke it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

big time bisexual posted:

here's the perfect china.mp4 to illustrate this

https://my.mixtape.moe/wljdvv.mp4

Hey, free bike!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Great Autismo! posted:

idk what's wrong with me I had a great China day, I walked 30,000 steps, wrote a few emails, got some podcasts in, and watched the wire. no idea what I'll do tonight, I guess read? I have a cigar someone gave me maybe I'll go for a walk and smoke it

If you're stuck for ideas I gave you loads of links mate. You might not like them though, but give em a try

Seconding the beautiful weather in SZ/HK, though apparently it's gonna rain hard tomorrow

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I forgot that when I was trying on some clothes I heard people shopping outside the fitting box. They were talking very loudly in American English, and when I got out of the box I saw they were in the next aisle over from me, meaning they were loud as gently caress. I kept shopping, but I could still hear them wherever I was, and I came around a corner to see them together. Young couple, maybe early twenties. They are holding something and seem confused. "THIS IS WEIRD. THOSE ASIANS ARE REALLY GOOD AT MAKING STUFF LIKE THIS."

They were not white. They were Asian-American.

WarpedNaba posted:

Hey, free bike!
RENTAL BIKES COST 1 RMB! NOT SO FREE.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

土澳 or TuAo: Is this Chinese popular term for Australia affectionate or condescending?

It's an online slang widely used in Australia's boisterous Chinese-language media outlets.

But its meaning, and whether it's affectionate or condescending towards Australia, remains a hot topic of debate.

Taken literally, TuAo means "unrefined, backwards Australia".

The term's widespread use in headlines on popular WeChat platforms like Sydney Today is a window into how the hundreds of thousands of Chinese students, graduates and migrants view the country where they reside.

"I feel it refers to how close you are to nature in Australia", said Annie Zhang, a permanent resident and Sydney University graduate who migrated from Beijing.

But she says the term also refers to the "coarse" Australian accent, and the country's perceived backwardness in everything from urban design to mobile payment technology.

"I've heard people say that England is America's village, and Australia is England's village, so it's really rural and unrefined," she said.
"China is so grandiose, whereas in Australia there aren't as many magnificent tall buildings."

Each day, tens of thousands of readers of the fast-growing Australian-based Chinese WeChat platforms see clickbait-style headlines referring to TuAo.

Many Chinese migrants say the term is mainly affectionate.

"Those students who are attracted to Australia, who are interested in facets of Australian life and like it here, they'll say TuAo," said Josh Rong, a journalist who also studied in Sydney.

'Laidback, modest, unassuming'

Some members of the Chinese community though see the word as representing an increasingly confident nationalism among young Chinese.

"This is a phenomenon for those we call the 'little pinks'," said Feng Chongyi, a Chinese studies professor at the University of Technology, referring to slang for young patriots.

"It's popular among them, not among the older generations.

"For them, [the term] is also loaded with some political meaning to show their own nationalism — to compare the Chinese modernisation to Australia, which they call a large village."

Chinese internet slang is dynamic and often open to interpretation and regional differences.

Wai Ling Yeung, a former Chinese studies professor at Curtin University, points out that many Chinese-Australians use the character for village when referring to suburbs.

"Because of that, many China-based netizens think all Australian cities are like country towns, but this is in fact not what Chinese-Australians mean," she said.

She contrasts TuAo with humorous slang used by Chinese abroad in other countries, including FuGuo for Britain, meaning "decadent country" — a coded term believed to refer to the UK's attitudes towards homosexuality.

The US is also sometimes referred to online as MeiDi, meaning "American empire".

"In a way we are very proud of being 'Tu'," Ms Yeung said.
"We interpret it as laidback, modest and unassuming."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-...ic&sf85956364=1

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

If you're stuck for ideas I gave you loads of links mate. You might not like them though, but give em a try

Seconding the beautiful weather in SZ/HK, though apparently it's gonna rain hard tomorrow

I'm phone posting my computer wifi is screwed, I prob won't be able to check em until I get it fixed

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
This is one of my greatest fears every time I get into an elevator in China:

http://i.imgur.com/Ao4hWoY.gifv

It ascended 30 floors in 15 seconds, crashing into the roof. He survived. It's not in China, but still...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mine is that it drops after arriving at my floor and opening the doors, slicing me in two when I'm in the middle of stepping out

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Haier posted:

They were not white. They were Asian-American.

What an odd pair of labels. If a pale Russian from Siberia or the Far East immigrates to the US, he or she would likely be considered white, yet still be an Asian-american in terms of geographical origin.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My fears are the window cleaner, spiders that bite you when you're having poo poo and elevators. One of the elevators in the building I had my company in would drop about a foot at random times when the doors had just opened, I avoided that one. Lots of people have told me stories of lifts dropping multiple floors too. Apparently the ones they use on construction sites drop and kill people fairly often.

One of my China fears is sinkholes, I'm worried China will eat me. I've had the ground give way a bit under me a few times here before.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The ravenous Chinar escalator strikes fear in me.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

The ravenous Chinar escalator strikes fear in me.

it's probably more dangerous to get behind the wheel in canada or usa than it is to use a chinese escalator FWIW

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

it's probably more dangerous to get behind the wheel in canada or usa than it is to use a chinese escalator FWIW
Yes but it's more dangerous to get behind the wheel in China than it is in Canada or the US.

Come on dude, you're comparing apples to, uh, staircases.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ceciltron posted:

Yes but it's more dangerous to get behind the wheel in China than it is in Canada or the US.

Come on dude, you're comparing apples to, uh, staircases.

i don't disagree. it's more dangerous to walk around in englewood after dark on a friday night than it is to get behind the wheel in china. we could do this all day.

i'm just saying, chinese escalators aren't that dangerous. yes they ate people once or twice. it's not more dangerous than something like driving a car in the USA, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I feel weird whenever I step on an escalator and the floor gives a little, though.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I feel weird whenever I step on an escalator and the floor gives a little, though.

inherently i trust very little on a daily basis in china, but it hasn't killed me in close to 7.5 years, and i worked in chicago for less than 3.5 months and got robbed at gunpoint, so like, idk, living in china hasn't destroyed my internal organs yet? i'm hanging tough. you are too. chengdu is beautiful and your beer selection owns.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

but it hasn't killed me in close to 7.5 years,

Actually, you're already dead. :ghost:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack2142 posted:

http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0606/c90000-9224960.html

Don't mind me just throwing some donkey's to the Tigers for lulz.

I am ok with feeding them with something live for them to go after but umm yeah, not like that.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Ayyyy, someone got deleeeeted

Edit:
She also blamed me for everything she was doing, and nothing that I was doing (like, all the poo poo she had said or acted, she said I had done). I met her a few times. I told her I am not interested to meet her again, she had a meltdown. She demanded answers. I said she didn't respect me or listen to what I said. She said it was me, I didn't listen to her. I told her she was rude and I felt she harassed me. She said I was the one that did her bullshit to her, and foreigners are all just looking for sex and leave China. She said she realized I don't love her, and I'm just LOLing because we spent a total of like 4 hours together, without any sex.
Anyway, a fitting end to this day.

Haier fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 7, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

She said she realized I don't love her, and I'm just LOLing because we spent a total of like 4 hours together, without any sex.

:china:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

It really seems like saying "I love you." Is the magic bullet to instantly getting laid in Chinar.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Glenn Quebec posted:

It really seems like saying "I love you." Is the magic bullet to instantly getting laid in Chinar.

see if it soothes your hong kong problem

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Glenn Quebec posted:

It is a number one complain or question. "Do you love me?" to which I am usually trying to remember their name because I tell them English names are dumb and I refuse to call them their English name, but then can't remember their Chinese name.

She's still sending me messages in friend requests, calling me a coward and that the people that know me don't know the truth about me (whatever that means).

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

and that the people that know me don't know the truth about me (whatever that means).

japanese penis, clearly

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
<- possible thread gang tag?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

big time bisexual posted:

here's the perfect china.mp4 to illustrate this

https://my.mixtape.moe/wljdvv.mp4

I just laughed pretty hard at work

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

<- possible thread gang tag?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tantan: I thought they smelled bad on the outside

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Possible Haier Personal motto? Can we get this translated into latin?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
tantan poteris alterius gentis hominem feminam

- etched into stone at the Haier family mansion.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

ladron posted:

see if it soothes your hong kong problem

God in heaven. I've spared this thread the boring minutiae of it all but I truly have made the most unimpressive arch enemy out of all that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

God in heaven. I've spared this thread the boring minutiae of it all but I truly have made the most unimpressive arch enemy out of all that.

all this time i have wondered, is she bangable?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

She is in a very ..uh.. plastic way. She dresses and exudes wealth. I've only have had a handful of meetings with her in person. She's very thin, and not in an athletic sense. Pretty face.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Can you keep us updated on the recent developments in your office war, or is there nothing funny to relate?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

She is in a very ..uh.. plastic way. She dresses and exudes wealth. I've only have had a handful of meetings with her in person. She's very thin, and not in an athletic sense. Pretty face.

I feel like everyone who's lived in Asia has a very clear picture of what you mean.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Im thinking siam paragon at 4pm on a sunday

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Can you keep us updated on the recent developments in your office war, or is there nothing funny to relate?

There really isn't anything exciting. I've been put on a more supervisory role in terms of the project. She rolls up to me now (in lieu of us working as peers) and this was written out explicitly. I'm sure she hates it as it directly shows her loss of face and my increase of face. I will say this, as soon as it became evident that she needs to answer to me about things; she's become much nicer to my face.

I know that this is just a tactic to make me lax but my calendar is a field of landmines essentially set to remind me to check on her and certain members of her team through out my day to make sure things are running on time and correctly. I've made a check list for the work that they are supposed to be doing and run them through it each time we exchange email or phone calls. If something doesn't seem right or I just don't trust the person for some reason, I'll demand to see the work. So yeah, I micromanage a lot. I hate it.

It's becoming more and more of my actual job, one of the things I had been working on (and enjoyed more) suffered a bit because I can't give it the attention it deserves and have
lined up someone to replace me in that.

My boss stateside said the she's very impressed with how I handled the whole thing. My unofficial review was the best it's ever been and I'm looking at a sick bonus this year. All hints about moving me to the HK office have been rebuked. I simply refuse to go there in the flesh and deal with these assholes.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

I feel like everyone who's lived in Asia has a very clear picture of what you mean.

I've worked with at least 8 of them, all named "JiYoung"

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Saving lives the China way :unsmith:

https://streamable.com/qrjxu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Chinar has more gaudy buildings that fall down after 2 years and stores all provide wechat pay so they don't have to look up from their phones and interact with another human being therefore china is grandiose.

• Locked thread