Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

TyrantWD posted:

I feel like today's hearing is a preview of the wet fart we are going to get from Comey tomorrow.
I don't think so, Comey is out of government. Coats and Rogers have jobs to protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Encouraging to hear that the public isn't being swayed by the "fake news" defense.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Elotana posted:

I don't think so, Comey is out of government. Coats and Rogers have jobs to protect.

Yeah, does he have any reason not to drop bombs tomorrow?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
All this feels.like a "Well we gotta go to war with Iran because...."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Meridian posted:

If he feels that dropping those bombs in public would for some reason compromise the outcome of the investigation.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Meridian posted:

He'll likely want to protect whatever investigation is still ongoing so I wouldn't expect anything insane.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Meridian posted:

His only real motivation would be to keep his testimony as unimpeachable facts that can't be characterized as partisan or vindictiveness over getting fired because those would undercut the credibility of his allegations and give openings to ignore them.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Encouraging to hear that the public isn't being swayed by the "fake news" defense.
It's a little depressing that a full third believe that the news media are making up stories to make the president look bad.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

My Twitter Account posted:

It's a little depressing that a full third believe that the news media are making up stories to make the president look bad.

when the news they see elsewhere is obviously fake (see previous page, us weekly) it's not a stretch to think all news media is made up. especially when you are too lazy or unable to process complex thought and the fake news is bashing your guy

its all quite depressing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

My Shitter Account posted:

That's true. But it does seem to be roughly consistent with the number of diehard Trump supporters who probably would believe everything that came out of the "god emperor's" mouth.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

honestly the revelation that only 1/3 of americans are literally drooling mongoloids is pretty surprising to me, i expected 50%

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
It's fun when senators confuse words like "confidential" and "classified" :allears:

Sounds to me like Coats and Rogers have things to say, just not in public. Where would they talk about this kinda stuff?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BiohazrD posted:

honestly the revelation that only 1/3 of americans are literally drooling mongoloids is pretty surprising to me, i expected 50%

Yeah, it's actually kinda encouraging that majorities seem to still be getting real information, even if it's disheartening that like 1/3 of the US is completely captivated with an idiotic orange sponge.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/872470236368433152

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

only 1/3 of america is complete garbage, not too bad all things considered

beaten like 7 times

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hollismason posted:

All this feels.like a "Well we gotta go to war with Iran because...."

Nah.

edit: I mean, what does Iran even do in response on a meaningful level other than prop up Qatar? That they're not already doing?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 7, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

skylined! posted:

when the news they see elsewhere is obviously fake (see previous page, us weekly) it's not a stretch to think all news media is made up. especially when you are too lazy or unable to process complex thought and the fake news is bashing your guy

its all quite depressing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only solution to this is mandatory logic classes and an emphasis on critical thinking and not memorizing pointless facts in school but :laffo: if you think that'll ever happen because dumb motherfuckers in wastelands full of corn think the importance of learning is knowing who the President was during the War of 1812 and not actually understanding why it happened because god darn it that's what I learned and you should learn it too!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BarbarianElephant posted:

You think they are going to put forward a better guy? I doubt any of the better guys would say yes.

But the best thing would be for Dems to stall him if they can, until there's enough rope out in the public knowledge for Trump to hang himself with.

Confirming no one is better than a party hack running the FBI for 10 years.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This hearing's been boring as hell but I love Admiral Rogers, looks like a character right out of a Kubrick movie

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Was just gonna post this. Call your senators!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Not watching it, but kinda wish I could:
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/872472991577374720

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
TL:DR of this hearing "I stand by my comment" "I dont wish to discuss that in an open forum"

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

So was the "we're throwing this house bill away and starting from scratch" just nonsense?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Wyden's voice is like an angel's, a lisp-y, pissed-off angel.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/lachlan/status/872474021643911168

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tatsuta Age posted:

So was the "we're throwing this house bill away and starting from scratch" just nonsense?

No, they have to use the house bill no matter what they do. Even if the plan is to gut the entire thing and replace it with an entirely new bill, they must bring the original House bill up for consideration and then amend it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Only 2/3rds of Republicans believe he thinks the news is actually untrue.

The annoying part is that only 25% of people not registered to vote believe Trump. If those people bothered to vote against the person they think is discrediting the media because he doesn't like it, Democrats would win in an enormous landslide.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Nah.

edit: I mean, what does Iran even do in response on a meaningful level other than prop up Qatar? That they're not already doing?

Iran saw the giant cluster gently caress that this was becoming and decided to apparently lube up their foot to the thigh and wade in

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Gotcha, thanks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

TL:DR of this hearing "I stand by my comment" "I dont wish to discuss that in an open forum"

I don't see why they bother with these open forums if they aren't going to say anything the public doesn't already know.

It just seems like a huge circle-jerk. "Director, please tell us why this law we passed is so awesome."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tatsuta Age posted:

That's what this is

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I don't see why they bother with these open forums if they aren't going to say anything the public doesn't already know.

It just seems like a huge circle-jerk. "Director, please tell us why this law we passed is so awesome."

I guess... don't we all go to pointless meetings at work?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oregon goons, fix your poo poo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/872474062588710912
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/872475259890520065

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This seems like a bad idea

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/872473808841703424

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
No hearings. No debate. Just ram it home. A complete overhaul of 1/5 of the US economy. If our political system worked they would lose 20 Senate and 130 House seats in 2018.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Oregon goons, fix your poo poo.

Not possible:
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/872475515357208577

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

unsure if intentional but sure seems like a good opportunity for talking heads supporting a republican agenda to point to the hearing and say see, no evidence

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

sort of thing is illegal in most places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Whoa, does that mean the actual text of the House-passed bill, or is this part of the procedure to start considering the bill and then re-draft it themselves?

• Locked thread