Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

it does seem to be roughly consistent with the number of diehard Trump supporters who probably would believe everything that came out of the "god emperor's" mouth.
We could only wish for something as benevolent as a 4,000 year old wurm that gets high sniffing spice-farts constantly cloning his best friend in an attempt to end our dependence on non-renewable spicesfuels

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I don't understand how McCabe can refuse to answer this question.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Whoa, does that mean the actual text of the House-passed bill, or is this part of the procedure to start considering the bill and then re-draft it themselves?

As much as they say they don't, republicans loving love the bill that the House passed, so of course they won't actually fix anything.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

evilweasel posted:

I don't understand how McCabe can refuse to answer this question.

Maybe because the special counsel investigation outweighs this one, so he'd rather give the juicy stuff to them behind closed doors?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Offt...he was not happy with these guys dodging these questions

haha wow. "I think your unwillingness to answer a simple question speaks volumes"

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Do they feel they have 50 senators? Or are they just pushing a floor vote to have it die and move on to taxes?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/872411494604001280

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Is this why Portland is so insufferable? They are trying too hard to make up for that?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SgtScruffy posted:

Maybe because the special counsel investigation outweighs this one, so he'd rather give the juicy stuff to them behind closed doors?

I don't think he can decide what he'd rather do when it comes to questions from Congress. I think he has an obligation to answer the question unless he has a specific legal basis to refuse.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Solkanar512 posted:

Random question, since things are fairly quiet right now.

When folks talk about "no young democrats coming up the ranks", why is there no mention of former WA governor Christine Gregoire or current governor Jay Inslee? I'm not saying that there isn't a problem within the party, it just seems odd that since there is, these folks are generally being ignored.

They are 70 and 66 respectively?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
i kinda like this heinrich guy

for now

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aurubin posted:

Do they feel they have 50 senators? Or are they just pushing a floor vote to have it die and move on to taxes?

They're talking like they think they can get to 50. I think you've got to assume they're correct until there's a reason to believe otherwise. But I think that even if they don't think they can get to 50, they may just need to get an answer one way or the other if they do and move on.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

enraged_camel posted:

I don't see why they bother with these open forums if they aren't going to say anything the public doesn't already know.

It just seems like a huge circle-jerk. "Director, please tell us why this law we passed is so awesome."

The non-denials from Coats strike me as meaningful, if not direct information.

I will agree that it is kind of annoying that nobody really seems to care about the the FISA reauth story.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So it kinda sounds like they hadn't actually decided to make the job offer to Wray yet and Trump just went ahead with it sight unseen?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

We could only wish for something as benevolent as a 4,000 year old wurm that gets high sniffing spice-farts constantly cloning his best friend in an attempt to end our dependence on non-renewable spicesfuels

Hot take of the moment: that's one of the better books of the series. (not a terribly high bar, I know, but still)

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

evilweasel posted:

They're talking like they think they can get to 50. I think you've got to assume they're correct until there's a reason to believe otherwise. But I think that even if they don't think they can get to 50, they may just need to get an answer one way or the other if they do and move on.

loving great. Now I get to go without healthcare because my premiums will be astronomical. I hate old white men.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have no hope that Comey's testimony is going to be anything other than alot of "I can't comment on that" and "it would inappropriate to comment on that in a public forum" bullshit. Comey is a self-serving piece of poo poo that will be more interested in trying to rebuild his image as a non-partisan straight-shooter than making up for the tremendous damage he's done to society.

It will be a boring pas de deux between Comey and the right wing shitbags that want to talk about leaks leaks leaks.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Night10194 posted:

So it kinda sounds like they hadn't actually decided to make the job offer to Wray yet and Trump just went ahead with it sight unseen?

This is lining up with the news that Trump is becoming frustrated with the media and his own staff's abiliity to deliver the message that he wants to deliver, so he'll be using Twitter to do it directly.

This is the opening of the bloodgates where Trump thinks he's delivering his purest message.... and he does :getin:

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Dick Trauma posted:

It will be a boring pas de deux between Comey and the right wing shitbags that want to talk about leaks leaks leaks.

Don't forget about unmasking and Benghazi

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

evilweasel posted:

I don't think he can decide what he'd rather do when it comes to questions from Congress. I think he has an obligation to answer the question unless he has a specific legal basis to refuse.

Senator King going for this exact question

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Night10194 posted:

More than likely. You can't say no if you haven't been asked! (And everyone else even remotely respectable has already said no). Its kind of like those public marriage proposals that put the girl on the spot in a stadium or whatever.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Spaced God posted:

As much as they say they don't, republicans loving love the bill that the House passed, so of course they won't actually fix anything.

This is wrong and has been explained before. Again, even though the Senate said they will write their own bill, they technically still have to vote on the house bill. What they will do is vote on an amendment that will literally rip every single word out of the house bill and completely replace it with their amendment. It will still be technically voting on a bill passed by the house, but not really because the amendment will have completely re-written it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SgtScruffy posted:

Senator King going for this exact question

Yeah, I'm quite pleased by this. They can't just decline to answer.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dick Trauma posted:

I have absolutely no hope that Comey's testimony is going to be anything other than alot of "I can't comment on that" and "it would inappropriate to comment on that in a public forum" bullshit. Comey is a self-serving piece of poo poo that will be more interested in trying to rebuild his image as a non-partisan straight-shooter than making up for the tremendous damage he's done to society.

We might get it confirmed that Trump pressured him to drop the Flynn thing. But everyone here seems to be expecting he's going to arrive with a "Trump's links to Putin" dossier and a copy of the piss tape. My impression of Comey is that he is in love with his own righteousness and wants to defend that over every other consideration.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Night10194 posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if Trump tried to force Wray into accepting like they tried to do to Elton John for the inauguration.

"You can't say no to the President! It's too prestigious and if we say he's doing it, he'll look even worse backing out!"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Hes loving grilling the poo poo out of them

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

Don't worry, they're not sure they have a legal basis.

Well, I'm convinced.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"I don't have a legal basis" well at least he's honest.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

evilweasel posted:

I think they CAN decline to answer - they haven't been subpoeaned or anything, it's just a questioning, right? So they can just essentially plead the fifth.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Solkanar512 posted:

Random question, since things are fairly quiet right now.

When folks talk about "no young democrats coming up the ranks", why is there no mention of former WA governor Christine Gregoire or current governor Jay Inslee? I'm not saying that there isn't a problem within the party, it just seems odd that since there is, these folks are generally being ignored.

There's a pretty big gulf between the two Washingtons. There's a lot of physical distance, and the state isn't big enough to command attention in spite of that like California can.

The specific candidates aren't particularly strong, either. Gregorie is very smart, policy-focused, and a good legal knife fighter, but her "whip up a crowd" charisma is practically nonexistent. She is political broccoli: everybody knows it's the right choice, but very few people get excited about it. Inslee is kind of the opposite; he's friendly and reliably liberal but not the policy brain that Democrats probably want to put up in contrast to Trump. (In fact, he's a bit of a departure from the typical WA approach of "vote for the biggest nerd" - if it weren't for the toxicity of the national Republican party, we'd probably have Governor Rob McKenna right now)

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Bob Ferguson. He's not going to run for president in 2020 or anything, but he's been getting national attention with his legal challenges to the Trump administration, and he's ambitious in a nerdy, chess-club-president kind of way. He's personally frugal to a fault, too. He'd make a pretty good anti-Trump.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
king is making all of these dudes quite nervous

this is amazing

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

This is the only way Trump can make the pick without getting it leaked

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It would be truly a great example of our system if the house passes a terrible bill to get it off their desk, knowing the senate will kill it, just for the senate to craft a terrible bill and send it back to the house assuming the freedom caucus will kill it, and then it becomes law.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BarbarianElephant posted:

We might get it confirmed that Trump pressured him to drop the Flynn thing. But everyone here seems to be expecting he's going to arrive with a "Trump's links to Putin" dossier and a copy of the piss tape. My impression of Comey is that he is in love with his own righteousness and wants to defend that over every other consideration.

My impression has mostly been that he's extremely loving pissed at Trump for kicking over his sandcastle and we're going to get his full on passive aggressive 'I'm going to make this look as bad for you as I can in a situation where I can't charge you with anything' treatment the way he did Clinton last Summer.

E: This is also probably the best we should hope for, if it happens.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
"When I say that, I'm not trying to be contentious—" "Well I am trying to be contentious!" was loving sweet

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

King just dropped the mic there...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rigel posted:

This is wrong and has been explained before. Again, even though the Senate said they will write their own bill, they technically still have to vote on the house bill. What they will do is vote on an amendment that will literally rip every single word out of the house bill and completely replace it with their amendment. It will still be technically voting on a bill passed by the house, but not really because the amendment will have completely re-written it.
In this case, couldn't (in theory) the House just always pass a generic "BLAH BLAH BLAH REPLACE TEXT HERE" bill and let the Senate rewrite it in all instances? Why even bother spending time writing a legitimate bill in the first place?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Rigel posted:

This system is so loving broken

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

King just dropped the mic there...

Yeah, that was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish for Wray to publicly announce he was not asked and does not want the job. Please God

• Locked thread