Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Glazier posted:

Maybe it's just my depression creeping but it honestly feels like, and I say this with complete sincerely, nothing matters. Why are we still bothering to get up in the morning and go to work? Why am I bothering to do things I don't want to do when American society is about to end? It just feels like everyday could be the last one.

Every day you that you can wake up and avoid getting eaten alive (torn apart by little teeth and left to die) is a good day in terms of all of human and pre-human history. Spend your time being glad you don't live 1,000-100,000 years ago.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

Yes.

A War would hurt profits.

Not if you're the winner

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BootStrap posted:

The only thing that matters is good wine, good food, your significant other(s) and dogs.

gently caress everything else.
It's hard to afford good food and good wine when the economy collapses (if half of what Trump and his Republicans want to do goes into effect, that's what will happen).

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Glazier posted:

Maybe it's just my depression creeping but it honestly feels like, and I say this with complete sincerely, nothing matters. Why are we still bothering to get up in the morning and go to work? Why am I bothering to do things I don't want to do when American society is about to end? It just feels like everyday could be the last one.

It's not going to end, at least not soon. The USA survived Nixon, didn't it? The fall of the Roman Empire took a thousand years. You will probably die of old age in a country only slightly different from how it was when you were born.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hollismason posted:

And yet they keep happening!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Glumslinger posted:

Half of the middle east cuts off relations with Qatar
Iran blames Saudi Arabia for a terrorist attack
Turkey approves a troop deployment

And you think this is all just bluster?

Mind you I do think it's possible this may still turn out to be something but we're not quite there yet, and unless I missed something, Iran did not blame Saudi Arabia, a single faction of Iran known for their bluster and sabre-rattling did.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 7, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glazier posted:

Fortunately I live in a first strike city so I should never know something went wrong. I just hate to be wasting time at work when I could be doing something I want to do when the bombs drop.

You need to update your doomsday scenario, this isn't the Cold War and Qatar isn't Able Archer 83.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Glazier posted:

lol.

go the gently caress outside, mate. each day could be your last, but that has literally always been the case. that should be a hugely motivating concept to stop you from being a goony wasteman everyday

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I wonder how US military personnel based in Qatar feel about being put at risk due to Trump's criminally incompetent handling of this diplomatic mess.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's hard to afford good food and good wine when the economy collapses (if half of what Trump and his Republicans want to do goes into effect, that's what will happen).

I have spent the last few decades perfecting the art of drinking good wine on the cheap.

Maybe I will start a thread.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Every day you that you can wake up and avoid getting eaten alive is a good day in terms of all of human and pre-human history. Spend your time being glad you don't live 1,000-100,000 years ago.

Affluent Coastal Hunter-Gatherers enjoyed 5 hours of work a week, no STDs, no acne, no tooth decay and no social mores about group sex.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Glazier posted:

Fortunately I live in a first strike city so I should never know something went wrong. I just hate to be wasting time at work when I could be doing something I want to do when the bombs drop.

That's the spirit! Way to look on the bright side.

Why not take a week's vacation soon and go ahead and do the things you want to? Camp or play video games or watch an entire TV series or go to the pet store and cuddle the baby guinea pigs.

It's totally possible to do enjoyable things in the short term without sacrificing the long term.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Not if you're the winner

The KSA was probably counting on no one helping Qatar and leaving them with no choice but to become their vassal. If there is actually a credible military deterrent to an invasion, then we'll be moving on to figuring out how everyone can save face. Qatar will admit to a few mistakes in the past and work on correcting them, maybe an apology will be broadcast on Al Jazeera, and then KSA could grimly say they are satisfied for now.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

androo posted:

e: Also, is anyone expecting anything from the closed hearings later?

We'll probably get some leaks about what exactly Trump asked Coats and Rogers since those conversations aren't actually classified.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pretty sure the last thing Glaizer needs right now is more time off for himself.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Group sex before the invention of toilet paper

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Nothing is going to happen.

No, but it does further complicate things on the infinitesimal chance something did happen, Turkey being a NATO member and such. Though of course Trump has been very iffy on Article 5. But Turkey also has a pretty competent military for the region (or has historically at least) and their presence would likely further deter any move by SA, even if the US had given a pass on something.

But anyway, yeah nothing is going to happen and this is just academic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just the scary parts of the Qatar bungle:

- Qatar got all their food imports from the Saudis and others who just cut them off. This might end up like Yemen with children starving to death
- CENTCOM HQ'ed is at Al Udeid AFB and handles major operations for Afghanistan and Iraq among others

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

BootStrap posted:

I have spent the last few decades perfecting the art of drinking good wine on the cheap.

Maybe I will start a thread.

Please do, this is a dope topic that I would love to learn more about!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Glazier posted:

You should read a few books on Stoicism and Zen. I say that with all sincerity. It's basically the "nothing matters" worldview, but framed in a healthy way to help you cope with that.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

TildeATH posted:

Affluent Coastal Hunter-Gatherers enjoyed 5 hours of work a week, no STDs, no acne, no tooth decay and no social mores about group sex.

Group sex is pretty gross, though getting to lay around eating fish all day with no zits or cavities would outweigh that so long as I could still shitpost on the reg.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how US military personnel based in Qatar feel about being put at risk due to Trump's criminally incompetent handling of this diplomatic mess.

Considering it's mainly air force enlisted, they would cheer Trump on up until the very moment they are killed.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

- Qatar got all their food imports from the Saudis and others who just cut them off. This might end up like Yemen with children starving to death
- CENTCOM HQ'ed is at Al Udeid AFB and handles major operations for Afghanistan and Iraq among others

Yeah, I know a few people who are in Qatar this year, and a lot of my old unit is probably making GBS threads their collective pants right now.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ReidRansom posted:

No, but it does further complicate things on the infinitesimal chance something did happen, Turkey being a NATO member and such. Though of course Trump has been very iffy on Article 5. But Turkey also has a pretty competent military for the region (or has historically at least) and their presence would likely further deter any move by SA, even if the US had given a pass on something.

But anyway, yeah nothing is going to happen and this is just academic.

I don't think article 5 comes into play here unless they actually attack Turkey. If you send your troops out to defend some other nation not in the alliance and they got shot, thats really none of our business.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/872509992938688512

Hello

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TildeATH posted:

Yeah, living as a hunter gatherer was probably pretty OK. Living any time between the start of the agricultural revolution and say, right now, would be pretty miserable. Much rather be a hunter gatherer than a middle ages peasant.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Iran and Turkey have already offered to do "Berlin airlift" style food deliveries if needed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know we are all talking about Middle East 2.0, but what are the serious chances that AHCA passes considering McConnell has just fast-tracked the vote?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hollismason posted:

Yes.

Actually, I learned from a respected documentary that war strengthens the economy, and it shows the world that we've got stones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_cjaVFIiI&t=126s

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Covok posted:

I know we are all talking about Middle East 2.0, but what are the serious chances that AHCA passes considering McConnell has just fast-tracked the vote?

Evil Weasel explained earlier how this was expected procedure.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Qatar is much, much richer than Yemen. It's never going to get to the point of kids starving. They can import all their food by plane if they have to.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
It's kind of funny that Benjamin Wittes is effectively acting as James Comey's Anger Interpreter.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Good god, this is interesting as gently caress

Wow, this doc does not copy and paste well at all

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

Considering it's mainly air force enlisted, they would cheer Trump on up until the very moment they are killed.

Isn't the Air Force have a lot of fundies in it?

They're probably fine with the concept of dying for a white christian, up to the last few seconds where they think,"mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe he is wors-"

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Why on earth is a future-dated document available on public facing government servers?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Well there it is.

quote:

A few moments later, the President said, “I need loyalty, I expect loyalty.”
I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the
awkward silence that followed. We simply looked at each other in silence. The
conversation then moved on, but he returned to the subject near the end of our
dinner.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

:stare:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

For clarity, this is Comey's prepared remarks.

It consists entirely of descriptions of interactions he had with Trump.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PISS TAPES ARE REAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Rigel posted:

The KSA was probably counting on no one helping Qatar and leaving them with no choice but to become their vassal. If there is actually a credible military deterrent to an invasion, then we'll be moving on to figuring out how everyone can save face. Qatar will admit to a few mistakes in the past and work on correcting them, maybe an apology will be broadcast on Al Jazeera, and then KSA could grimly say they are satisfied for now.
And then Trump tweets some bullshit that threatens to gently caress it all up.

• Locked thread