Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

I swear that's the best episode of American Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Even though it was a great episode a few things in Time Squared didn't make sense. Why was Future Picard still disoriented when his time came? Why was it necessary to kill him? Why did diving into the center of vortex get them out?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Time Squared made no sense at all but it was fun.

Why did the time vortex only attack Picard, and why did unaccountably stop doing it when Picard decided to stay on board. Why did future Picard still think leaving would save the Enterprise when he saw first-hand that it didn't work. Tune in next week on Staaaaaaaar Trek as we answer none of these questions.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

Minor league baseball absolutely rules. Go for the goofy theme nights. Stay for the insane/delicious/gross stadium food. Leave with a hat with a logo for the Baby Cakes or the Yard Goats or the Jumbo Shrimps. The ticket costs less than the deep fried banana split burger you'll buy in a little helmet.

All of those name are real, by the way. I saw my local team the Portland Sea Dogs play against the Yard Goats twice last year.

We traded in (sort of, it's politically complicated but whatever) the Diablos for the Chihuahuas down here. Still good minor league baseball, shame about the name.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

Time Squared made no sense at all but it was fun.

Why did the time vortex only attack Picard, and why did unaccountably stop doing it when Picard decided to stay on board. Why did future Picard still think leaving would save the Enterprise when he saw first-hand that it didn't work. Tune in next week on Staaaaaaaar Trek as we answer none of these questions.

Supposedly the early drafts had Q behind it all and I want to say at one point they were going to have it be the first part of a two-parter and it's the vortex that dropped the Enterprise off in front of the Borg for Q Who.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Doomsday Machine was on TV last night and I watched it. It was a pretty great episode.

I remember hating the thing as a kid because of the model itself for the machine looked like a bugle chip and I hated those.

It did have the infamous TOS joke-at-the-end-with-jaunty-music-even-though-my-old-friend-just-died, though

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My hometeam's former mascot:

Gotta love the independent leagues.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 6, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lincoln posted:

My hometeam's former mascot:

Is that a banana or a yellow sock?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Lincoln posted:

My hometeam's mascot:

Episodes of Voyager that never were

Ultimatum

There's a crewmember who's sole hobby is obsessively studying and cataloging all the mascots of the 20th and 21st century. A TV broadcast of a local news segment involving your home team's mascot traveled throughout the stars and inexplicably became the god-figure of a race of alien energy beings in the Delta Quadrant. They will only communicate in baseball metaphors and will only speak to crewmembers dressed up in mascot costumes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

vermin posted:

Ultimatum

There's a crewmember who's sole hobby is obsessively studying and cataloging all the mascots of the 20th and 21st century. A TV broadcast of a local news segment involving your home team's mascot traveled throughout the stars and inexplicably became the god-figure of a race of alien energy beings in the Delta Quadrant. They will only communicate in baseball metaphors and will only speak to crewmembers dressed up in mascot costumes.

I remember reading a similar story idea, except instead of baseball and baseball mascots, it was David Letterman.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

vermin posted:

Ultimatum

So the only people who can understand their speech are St. Louis Cardinals fans? Talk about horror.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching The Icarus Factor and there's a scene I don't really get. Riker's considering transferring to a new ship as captain and Worf comes in and says he'd like to go with him so he could die in battle and Riker says "that's enough, you've made your point" then Worf says "I know you'll do the right thing."

What was that about?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wow this episode got amazing when Pulaski and Troi started talking about why they're so horny for Rikers (boyishness) then they're blindly fighting each other with giant cue-tips while speaking Japanese

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

vermin posted:

Ultimatum

I'm picturing a big foam biscuit and a big foam Chihuahua saying, "SHOW UP WHAT YOU GOT" to, I dunno, Tom Paris. He makes the most sense for this. Or, better yet, special guests starring Avery Brooks.

Still better than at least 25% of Voyager. Would watch, as long as Harry Kim isn't the subject of whatever the B-plot is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wow this episode got amazing when Pulaski and Troi started talking about why they're so horny for Rikers (boyishness) then they're blindly fighting each other with giant cue-tips while speaking Japanese

Somehow not a TNG Season 8 tweet

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pakled posted:

The baseball episode is the best holodeck/suite episode.

Baseball episode is good however Our Man Bashir is the best holodeck episode.

Bride of Chaotica is also real good and makes me lol because one of the best Voyager episodes is when they decided to do a more fun show instead of Voyager for an episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Excuse me, I'll have you know, Anbo-Jyutsu is the ultimate evolution of martial arts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bloop posted:

It did have the infamous TOS joke-at-the-end-with-jaunty-music-even-though-my-old-friend-just-died, though

I've been watching TOS and I think The Ultimate Computer takes the cake for the bizarrely atonal end joke.

:engleft: "We should put your personality in the computer next time, it would be even more maniacally insane lol"

Spock, dude, 400 people just died from that experiment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Excuse me, I'll have you know, Anbo-Jyutsu is the ultimate evolution of martial arts.

And since evolution is deterministic in Trek, it had to be so.

Edit: maybe teleological is a better word?

In any case, I wonder how Anbo-Jyutsu stacks up against Klingon sword dancing

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 7, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

I've been watching TOS and I think The Ultimate Computer takes the cake for the bizarrely atonal end joke.

:engleft: "We should put your personality in the computer next time, it would be even more maniacally insane lol"

Spock, dude, 400 people just died from that experiment.

Nomad killed four billion people at the start of The Changeling, and the episode still ended with a cheesy joke by Kirk.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Enemy Within ends with Spock making a joke about Yeoman Rand getting sexually assaulted by Evil Kirk. What a card!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I see there's quite a bit of competition.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Still gonna go with the "some other woman" line from Metamorphosis. Disposable woman stuff aside, there's still a war on and they just laugh off losing the diplomat that was supposed to end it. It's​ like if one of those "we need to get this vaccine" episodes had ended with them saying "gently caress it, let's just bring them some green tea and orange slices."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah but that was tonally consistent because Kirk and them were rolling their eyes at the diplomat and laughing off the war the whole episode.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Even though it was a great episode a few things in Time Squared didn't make sense. Why was Future Picard still disoriented when his time came? Why was it necessary to kill him? Why did diving into the center of vortex get them out?

Time Squared, (which was an episode title that made me mutter "oh, right!" when I was standing in Times Square 15 years later) feels like a video game puzzle crossed with a dream sequence. And it also just throws in a massively powerful Space Mouth that can appear at any time and ask for a crewmember through the medium of lightening strikes. It can also render ships helpless and destroy them if it feels like it.

But I do sort of like it, it has a creepy air to it.

I assumed Future Picard was pretty much always disoriented as a result of time travel, and was never going to get fully better. Also, leaving the ship makes a sort of sense, since he probably thinks he can go back in time and warn them, forgetting that he goes into a coma. Why he went back in time, why the Space Mouth wanted Picard (since it apparently did nothing with him other than send him back in time) and why flying into the mouth makes everything okay, makes it feel like we were missing a "it was all a dream" moment.

I like the effects of the Space Mouth, even though it's a smooth fuzzy smoke tunnel in long shots, and a super detailed fluffy cloudscape in close ones. The Enterprise straining at warp power is nicely done, and the engines make a really nice, noisy, running-at-full-power-noise.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

MisterBibs posted:

Hell, he's really not a fan of the sport, he's just a fan of the feel-goods of the sport.

I don't know anything about sport, so I assumed this was why everyone liked any sport.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dirty posted:

I don't know anything about sport, so I assumed this was why everyone liked any sport.

Nah, some people are genuine psychotics re: sports.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dirty posted:

lots of people like sports because they are secretly nerds who like spreadsheets but are far too manly to fill out a D&D character sheet even though they "play" "fantasy" sports!

Also, gambling, drinking, and doing socially approved gender-role things.

But yes, most people like sports for the fun and the feels

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Someone has been waiting months to write this headline.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So my TNG rewatch has taken me to the Friendzone Geordi episode. The one where the warp engineer discovers her Holodeck realdoll alter ego.

Ugh, Geordi, just no.

No.

Stop that, Geordi.

No.

Even his aggrieved "I'm the good guy and you're treating me poorly even for a misunderstanding" speech is awful. He only gets away with it because he's a main character.

gently caress you, Geordi. I hope Riker banged her on her way out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dirty posted:

Nah, some people are just country stupid about the game they follow and claim to enjoy. They believe in "unwritten rules of the sport", nonsense like Curses, and can generally be assumed to not actually having a working TV when they claimed to have watched the last game.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

McNally posted:

So my TNG rewatch has taken me to the Friendzone Geordi episode. The one where the warp engineer discovers her Holodeck realdoll alter ego.

Ugh, Geordi, just no.

No.

Stop that, Geordi.

No.

Even his aggrieved "I'm the good guy and you're treating me poorly even for a misunderstanding" speech is awful. He only gets away with it because he's a main character.

gently caress you, Geordi. I hope Riker banged her on her way out.

If it's any consolation, he doesn't learn and does the exact same thing the next opportunity he gets.

I'm always sad that most characters don't get to learn or develop like Worf, Picard or Data. I guess Riker does, but it's just him getting moe and more boring.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Moriatti posted:

If it's any consolation, he doesn't learn and does the exact same thing the next opportunity he gets.

I'm always sad that most characters don't get to learn or develop like Worf, Picard or Data. I guess Riker does, but it's just him getting moe and more boring.

A list of characters who were more successful with the ladies than Geordi:

Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Chekov
Sulu
Picard
Riker
Q
Worf
Data
Wesley
O'Brien
Sisko
Odo
Bashir
Dax
Jake
Kira
Dukat
Morn
Rom
Quark
Nog
Chakotay
Tuvok
The Doctor
Neelix
Kim
Archer
Trip
Reed
Mayweather
Phlox
Shran

... I'm probably forgetting some.

Orv
May 4, 2011
3 out of 5 guest actors.

I don't know if that math checks out but it wouldn't surprise me to be right.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

McNally posted:

No.
Stop that, Geordi.
No.

"I read that book you wrote. I wanted to meet you so bad afterward. So I printed off the picture from the About the Author section and you know how you talk to yourself sometimes when you're trying to figure something out? Well I talk to the picture sometimes and it's like you're really there. We have long, sometimes really intense conversations. It's funny, but during Valentine's Day I glued it on top of a mannequin and took it out to dinner. Sometimes I like to pose it in different positions so when I come home from work it's like you're there waiting for me. Just like we're just roommates though, it's not weird or anything."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

McNally posted:

Nog

Now, to be fair, we have seen Nog have less success with women than Geordi, or at least an equal level of failure. Remember him trying to get that girl to pre-chew his food for him?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Now, to be fair, we have seen Nog have less success with women than Geordi, or at least an equal level of failure. Remember him trying to get that girl to pre-chew his food for him?

Well, HEW-MON girls, sure.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Also, Nog actually proved willing to learn from his mistakes and grow(as a person anyway).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McNally posted:

Wesley even gets to go "At least I don't have to find my women on the holodeck!" that one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

remusclaw posted:

Also, Nog actually proved willing to learn from his mistakes and grow(as a person anyway).

He actually lost quite a bit during the show, physically :(