Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/872506547888324614
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/872512839101054981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"It was at that time that one of his advisors informed him 'ur in trouble'."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

remusclaw posted:

If the piss tape ever does surface, and it is instrumental in the downfall of the president, I really look forward to how it will be covered in the history books, specifically the school books.

No books, just an AI of Trump recycling footage, statements and tweets to authenticate an holographic identity for the mermaids of tomorrow to know the vision of a 20th century dipshit.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

remusclaw posted:

If the piss tape ever does surface, and it is instrumental in the downfall of the president, I really look forward to how it will be covered in the history books, specifically the school books.

We had a Presidential scandal involving a blow job 20 years ago - not sure a little light watersports would be that shocking.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
lol

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/872536404844302336

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Sloober posted:

if i could i'd get a X Files "I WANT TO BELIEVE" with a VHS tape labeled "PEE TAPE" instead of a UFO.

I want to pee-lieve

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Rigel posted:

yeah, that too. I couldn't put my finger on why I also strongly believed in pisstape after reading this, but thats a big part of it. "Hey come on, like... I knew I'd be recorded, so obviously I wouldn't do something stupid, right? heh... heh?"

No you didn't, Donald. You totally believed you had privacy and now you are being blackmailed.

Trump talked about how the Russians record everything at their hotels a long time ago, before he even ran. He's just repeating something he's said before.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Deified Data posted:

I've always said it was too specific to be fake. There's so many little details that would make it a more effective piece of fake news if it were contrived.

The fact that Trump seems very sensitive about it gives it more credibility. He's quite capable of ignoring liberal wags making lewd suggestions about his closeness to Ivanka. But the piss tape really seems to upset him.

It seems unlikely to me, but many politicians have been discovered to have odd bedroom habits, so who knows?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

First reply to that tweet

https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/872538358311903233

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Petr posted:

There's A1 sauce on the bun but still no burger.

I'd rather have a hooker piss on my food than use A1 sauce on it tbh

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JeffreyToobin/status/872517949403394048

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We're entering into the weirdest permutation of a dystopia imaginable.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/GOPTeens/status/871233430125764608

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is exactly why Donald Trump is so focused on finding the real leakers
has he tried a mirror

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

remusclaw posted:

Like a US highschool history class is ever gonna get past WW2, maybe they'll get to Vietnam if the class was really efficient

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

If Jeff Sessions gets canned, I will be over joyed. If Devos, Trump, Pence, and Paul Ryan all get the boot, I think I might cry tears of joy.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

"Actual children, stop making fun of us!"

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

sean10mm posted:

I mean, what the gently caress do you want?

Initiating impeachment becomes possible if the Democrats take over the House, and/or Trump drives the GOP's overall approval so far into the shitter that it threatens the congressional Republicans' own re-election chances. Neither is certain, but both look more likely every day as Trump continues to try to do a Watergate speedrun.

An ongoing avalanche of scandals dramatically increases the odds of the Republicans in general and Trump in particular being hosed in the 2018 and 2020 elections.

You aren't going to get an instant gratification moment out of this. Watergate took a couple years to play out, and that was with a Democratic congress already in place.

I want a portal into the good timeline. I'm not disappointed by this, I just don't understand why it's so exciting.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, I give up, is this a parody or not? Reality has broken my brain too much to tell

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

BarbarianElephant posted:

The fact that Trump seems very sensitive about it gives it more credibility. He's quite capable of ignoring liberal wags making lewd suggestions about his closeness to Ivanka. But the piss tape really seems to upset him.

It seems unlikely to me, but many politicians have been discovered to have odd bedroom habits, so who knows?

It's the specific focus on the tapes and the time that had passed that makes it so curious.

Imagine if Obama had rung up his FBI Director and said, "This business about my scandalous choice of mustard has been bothering me for months and I am literally unable to perform my job duties because of it. You and the gang need to get the word out that I am 100% All-American Beef Steak."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Crabtree posted:

"Actual children, stop making fun of us!"

Never thought I'd be so in favor of bullying, but between this and the kids trolling Paul Ryan I think we might've turned a corner

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Trump Can Commit All the High Crimes He Wants. Republicans Aren’t Going to Impeach Him.

Since the beginning of Donald Trump’s presidency, or even before, Democrats have been waiting for the moment when the Republican Party’s indulgence would snap. In every incremental advance of the Russia story, many hear the ticking hands of an “impeachment clock.” But there is no clock, and there will probably be no impeachment, at least not based on the field of Trumpian misdeeds currently at play. To imagine Republicans might turn on Trump over the Russia scandal to the point of deposing him from office is to misunderstand how they have been thinking about Trump and the presidency all along.

The metaphor of the ticking impeachment clock presupposes some relationship between the evidence that comes to light and the behavior of Congress. There is little evidence that the two are linked. Or, at least, the link is so weak that there is hardly enough room for additional evidence to produce the necessary response in Congress. One a scale of zero to ten, with ten being a videotape of Trump speaking in Russian to his handlers from the Kremlin, like Kevin Costner in the last scene in No Way Out, we’re currently at about 7.5. Trump repeatedly demanded loyalty from the FBI director, asked that he halt his investigation into the Russia scandal, instructed other intelligence officials to pressure him to end the investigation — the precise action that forced Richard Nixon to resign — and then fired Comey for refusing to do so. Many of his associates have been caught lying about their meetings and financial ties with Russia and what they said at those meetings. His son-in-law and close adviser tried to establish a secret line of communication to Russia. All of this took place after Trump appeared on camera during the campaign asking Russia to hack his opponent’s emails. (This is not even to mention the ongoing profiteering from his office that, in a normal presidency, would be an all-consuming mega-scandal in its own right.)

The vast majority of the Republican Party has absorbed these developments, a numbing procession of leaks and shocking news developments, with no diminished confidence in Trump whatsoever. “I travel in this state every single day — top to bottom, east to west, big cities and small towns, and I have yet had anybody come up to me and say they’re worried about Russia messing with our elections,” says Republican senator Luther Strange of Alabama. “I have no doubt that Russia tried to meddle in our election. They’re going to continue trying to — just like they have my entire lifetime.” Others have shifted the focus to nefarious “deep state” bureaucrats who have found the incriminating evidence. Both these arguments are ways of saying that any actions by Trump and his staff are benign by definition, and any evidence of crimes he has committed is actually evidence of crimes committed against him.

Other Republicans have expressed unease with the president. This group appears on the surface to present a greater danger, and has attracted wide attention for their occasional scoldings of Trump. But the only Republicans who have criticized Trump for his corruption and abuse of power are the ones who have opposed him from the beginning — mostly intellectuals and pundits who do not work in Republican politics or conservative media. When more loyal Republicans have criticized the president, they have aimed more indirectly at his communication style and disorganization.

A recent Wall Street Journal editorial created a sensation for scolding Trump, after having largely carried water on his behalf. It seemed on the surface to indicate a fissure between the party Establishment and the president. But the actual substance of the complaint focused narrowly on Trump’s self-defeating communications strategy. “Mr. Trump popping off,” complains the Journal, is “undermin[ing] his own lawyers.” For instance, the editorial notes, “The White House spent days explaining that the President fired James Comey on the counsel of Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein, only for Mr. Trump to tell an interviewer that he planned to dismiss the FBI director in any case.”

The Journal’s editors do not mention that they too gamely toed the initial, obviously absurd Trump party line that the administration only fired Comey at Rod Rosenstein’s behest. While they obviously feel humiliated, the Journal’s editors aren’t complaining about Trump firing the FBI director for investigating him, or even that he Trump lied about it. The complaint is that he stopped lying about it and made the people who endorsed his lie look silly.

While it may seem puzzling to liberals, this kind of behavior is consistent with the method of the conservative movement. The conservative movement takeover of the Republican Party began in the 1960s and took decades to complete. Conservatives still have not lost their sense of being an insurgent movement that might at any moment be betrayed by the party Establishment. Conservatives think of their role as quasi-independent, but they also imagine it as focusing exclusively on enforcing fealty to their doctrine by politicians who might otherwise be inclined to wander. The scenario they are built to fight against is the Republican president who colludes with Democrats, not one who colludes with foreign dictators. If the president is fighting against the opposition party, they assume he is acting correctly. Conservative organs like National Review originally viewed Richard Nixon with hostility, and — perverse as it may sound — came to his defense because of Watergate.

Many conservatives opposed Trump during the primaries because they suspected, with good reason, that his conservatism was shallow or insincere. They worried that, once elected, Trump would abandon their priorities and pursue the most expedient course.

But Trump has not done that at all. The policies or talking points Trump has abandoned are the centrist ones: He would protect Medicaid from cuts, give everybody terrific coverage, hammer the big banks, spend a trillion dollars on infrastructure, and cut deals with both parties. This week, Trump formally abandoned the last possible area of ideological compromise in infrastructure, “clarifying” that his plan relies on private industry, states, or cities ponying up the money. Trump’s budget actually cuts federal investments in infrastructure. He has positioned himself to the right of even House Republicans on domestic spending, and continues to push for their grossly unpopular plan to cut a trillion dollars from Obamacare. “The Never Trump conservative argument that Trump is not a conservative — one that I, too, made repeatedly during the Republican primaries — is not only no longer relevant, it is no longer true,” points out the popular conservative talk-show host Dennis Prager.

Trump is faithfully supporting the conservative agenda, so most conservatives faithfully support him. Their concerns are pragmatic ones about his effectiveness on behalf of their common agenda, rather than moral objections to the legitimacy and propriety of his actions. Trump may have committed impeachable offenses, but the impeachment clock has not even begun to move.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/republicans-wont-impeach-trump-no-matter-what-his-crimes.html

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Petr posted:

I want a portal into the good timeline. I'm not disappointed by this, I just don't understand why it's so exciting.

It's a sign stuff is happening. Maybe not exactly what you want but it seems to be moving inexorably forward, and every day is a new revelation of A) How incompetent Trump is and B) How corrupt

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sloober posted:

It's a sign stuff is happening. Maybe not exactly what you want but it seems to be moving inexorably forward, and every day is a new revelation of A) How incompetent Trump is and B) How corrupt

Also,

sean10mm posted:

You aren't going to get an instant gratification moment out of this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

Ok, I give up, is this a parody or not? Reality has broken my brain too much to tell

definitely parody, but good parody

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

my bony fealty posted:

https://twitter.com/gopteens/status/687864029407240192

I'm not entirely sure either, but I lean towards parody

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I give this 9/10 Dick Dorkins

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Elysiume posted:

But that's actually hilarious.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elysiume posted:

https://twitter.com/GOPTeens/status/865352579001319425

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
This is weird:

Jake Tapper posted:

Former FBI Director Comey's testimony was released by SSCI at Comey's request. I asked a source close to Comey why he made that request. “Because it's a complex narrative that he thought required some careful reading before hearing it from him directly," the source said..."Also, he thought it would ensure the committee had time to formulate probing and useful questions."

That reads more like released [to the Committee members], which would be totally normal, but Tapper presents it like he was asking about release to the public.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

evilweasel posted:

definitely parody, but good parody

Ok the one about man-horse love gives it away, but yeah it's very good

Somewhere out there is a poor teenager who was gifted a "#gopteen" shirt by his unaware Republican parents

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That GOP Teens twitter alerted me to this tweet that I didn't know existed before.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/360124399074025474

Reminder: Steve Jobs was dead at this time, not like... fired or something.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just want to point out that, while completely true, 'Trump is a loyal conservative who is attempting to implement their ideals.' is the single most damning indictment of conservatism ever put to page.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

skylined! posted:

my only hope is that when they release the pee tape that the identity of those poor women is hidden

They're already dead.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

beejay posted:

That GOP Teens twitter alerted me to this tweet that I didn't know existed before.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/360124399074025474

Reminder: Steve Jobs was dead at this time, not like... fired or something.

Could necromanceghazi be Trump's biggest scandal yet?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

eviltastic posted:

This is weird:

That reads more like released [to the Committee members], which would be totally normal, but Tapper presents it like he was asking about release to the public.

He probably wanted to let his statement marinate in the media for a while, just in case something happens during his testimony to dominate the narrative. Basically ensuring his story gets the air deserves even if he flubs some questions during the hearing

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

:negative:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Glumslinger posted:

He probably wanted to let his statement marinate in the media for a while, just in case something happens during his testimony to dominate the narrative. Basically ensuring his story gets the air deserves even if he flubs some questions during the hearing

Should make for some fun tweets tomorrow during Trump's morning shitter twitter time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe Trump will read it and incriminate himself *before* the hearing.

Or even better. This isn't his actual planned statement, but false bait to get Trump to provide corroborating testimony for evidence they're still missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/OKnox/status/872542073152393216

What the hell :stare:

• Locked thread