Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ruddiger posted:

Not sure who Lupina is but you guys can knock yourself out and call whoever whatever you want. Clearly reason was never a factor in this conversation, nor was the consideration to the identity that minorities choose for themselves.

Or, in this case, each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ALFbrot posted:

No no no he is definitely no arguing that and has edited his previous posts to make that clear!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay,

ruddiger posted:

there's no arguing with someone when they feel they've got moral superiority on their side,

...has been abundantly proven at this point, so how about those movies!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ul-l8vWqSU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That was the most ironic phrase uttered on this site.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Lupita chooses to identify as Mexican and Kenyan, because her nationality is that important to her, and I respect and applaud her wishes. My question, which still hasn't been addressed, is why you all refuse to do the same. I'm not denying her blackness I just refuse to use that label, but you all are definitely denying her Mexican-ness, which is all the more obtuse because she has, time and again, made it a priority to embrace that part of her identity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Were have we denied it? Unless you can't be black and Mexican making it an either or but man is that hosed up

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

marshmallow creep posted:

Okay,

...has been abundantly proven at this point, so how about those movies!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ul-l8vWqSU

Antonio owns

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah you will call me black but not Lupita.

I don't know who's arguing what but this is a funny post.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was funnier with the misspelling.

Last Banderas movie I saw was that robot movie he was in. It had a decent premise, but didn't really do anything with it in the movie itself. Dude should have definitely had a bigger career, Desperado and Assassins were loving great mostly because of his performances alone.

Checking out his IMDB, it looks like he's going to be playing Gianni Versace and Ferruccio Lamborghini in two upcoming biopics which has got me ridiculously excited. It also reminded me that I still want to see Finding Altamira.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7VPiSr7R0

e: nope, not going to engage the disgusting "whites and blacks are different races" angle, sorry. I started the conversation off by specifically mentioning nationality. It was your choice to ignore it.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 8, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Still whining about that eh? Anything for your desperate need for moral superiority, I suppose.

At least I know the difference between race and nationality.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 7, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
boy, we sure got ourselves an "odd couple" here

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Is it weird that I don't think of Banderas as an action movie guy? I know he has a bunch of action movies under his belt, heck as a kid I thought Desperado was the raddest poo poo. But in my mind his action movie roles are far outweighed either by thrillers or comedies where he's taking the piss out of his action hero status.

Which makes Antonio Banderas: Man of Action even better.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When he's trying to diffuse the situation in the bar is hands down one of the best moments in Desperado. Like, he's believable when you see him in an action role, but he's also unbelievably charismatic when doing practically anything else. Those scenes when he's showing the kid how to pick the guitar are gold.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Exactly. Lupita is black skinned. We all have eyeballs. She chooses to identify herself as both Kenyan and Mexican. I quickly edited my one point where I said she was "Mexican" because it's more nuanced than that. She identifies as African Mexican, so therefore she is Mexican not just in my eyes, but in her own eyes as well. I'm Mexican American, but I'm still just "Mexican" when it comes to the majority of Americans.

It really says something that these guys can post that speech from Lupita but ignore the words she's saying. Her speech was all about racial identity and the way this country shames those considered dark skinned or with features considered "other". It was about growing up in this western culture and struggling with our identity. When a minority actor goes out of their way to embrace their heritage, how can you in good conscience just cast that aside? It's clearly important to Lupita that people know she's both Kenyan and Mexican, why take that away by just saying "she's just black?"

e: reminder if I didn't bring this up, the only "black woman" you'd all be talking about is Rosario Dawson (who's boriqua through and through).

ahah ok, man, sure. Wow.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So anyway apparently advance reviews for The Mummy are not good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Look at this one: http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/the-mummy-review-tom-cruise-1202455294/

quote:

It’s here that you begin to divine the film’s basic strategy: It will grab ideas, motifs, and effects from almost any genre and jam them together, palming off its grab-bag quality as “originality.” Scene for scene, “The Mummy” has been competently staged by director Alex Kurtzman, who has one previous feature to his credit (the minor 2012 Chris Pine heart-tugger “People Like Us”) and has never made a special-effects film before. He knows how to visualize a spectacular plane crash, or how to play up the Dagger of Set — a mystical weapon of death that needs a giant ruby to complete it — so that it doesn’t seem as chintzy as something out of a “National Treasure” movie (which is basically what it is). Yet competence isn’t the same thing as style or vision. “The Mummy” is a literal-minded, bumptious monster mash of a movie. It keeps throwing things at you, and the more you learn about the ersatz intricacy of its “universe,” the less compelling it becomes.

Kurtzman!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Maxwell Lord posted:

:ohdear: I'm watching that one this weekend...because Tom Cruise. Hoping it's at least entertaining? A little bit? A tiny bit? please

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Kuuuurtzmaaaaaaaaan :argh:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/07/the-mummy-review-tom-cruise

quote:

the lantern-jawed and rather forgotten Brendan Fraser

quote:

In one scene [The Cruisemeister] is nude so we can see what undeniably great shape he’s in. The flabby, shapeless film itself doesn’t have his muscle-tone

quote:

Russell Crowe lumbers on at one stage, amply filling a three-piece suit

Only "The Cruisemeister" is safe from being put on blast.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Is it weird that I don't think of Banderas as an action movie guy?

Once you watch his movies with Almodovar that'll definitely override everything else.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The studio is basically saying that they expect the foreign market to carry this movie, since Cruise sells well overseas. They keep downgrading the expected domestic first week totals so they really need the international estimates to be on point.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

Is it weird that I don't think of Banderas as an action movie guy? I know he has a bunch of action movies under his belt, heck as a kid I thought Desperado was the raddest poo poo. But in my mind his action movie roles are far outweighed either by thrillers or comedies where he's taking the piss out of his action hero status.

He's not an action movie guy. He is Spanish. Get it right.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

quote:

Be afraid, for here it is … again … emerging waxily from the darkness. This disturbing figure must surely be thousands of years old by now, a princeling worshipped as a god but entombed in his own riches and status; remarkably well preserved. It is Tom Cruise

You sure?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ALFbrot posted:

He's not an action movie guy. He is Spanish. Get it right.

Holy poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That guardian review is trying a bit to hard with the ice burns.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So many mummy puns on the Rotten Tomatoes page.

Hey guys..... wraps.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Once you watch his movies with Almodovar that'll definitely override everything else.

The Skin I Live In came out more than 15 years ago. :sigh:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

The Skin I Live In came out more than 15 years ago. :sigh:

in 2011?

granted it was their first movie together in 20 years at that point

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

in 2011?

granted it was their first movie together in 20 years at that point

Gah, really? It seems so much longer.

But yeah, they need to do more movies together. And I still need to see Julieta.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CharlestheHammer posted:

That guardian review is trying a bit to hard with the ice burns.

Glad I'm not the only one that was left a bit cold by it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Gah, really? It seems so much longer.

But yeah, they need to do more movies together. And I still need to see Julieta.

Yeah I have it at home right now but still haven't watched it. I only just saw Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown & Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! pretty recently, The Skin I Live In was actually my first Almodovar.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

:ohdear: I'm watching that one this weekend...because Tom Cruise. Hoping it's at least entertaining? A little bit? A tiny bit? please
I will see it no matter how badly it's reviewed.

Sure is nice to talk about something that isn't who is or is not Mexican.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Casimir Radon posted:

I will see it no matter how badly it's reviewed.

Sure is nice to talk about something that isn't who is or is not Mexican.

Talking about how much Cruise runs and screams would be 10 times better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Grendels Dad posted:

Ecks vs. Sever

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's not indicative of anything, but The Mummy is doing very well in Korea at least: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-mummy-box-office-korea-1202455838/

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Desperado Bones posted:

Its Tom Cruise in a sci-fi (ish) movie. So far he's been 2 for 2 of those so im willing to give him a earnest shot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BexGu posted:

Its Tom Cruise in a sci-fi (ish) movie. So far he's been 2 for 2 of those so im willing to give him a earnest shot.

What does 2 for 2 in sci-fi mean for Tom Cruise?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

It means he's short.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sir Kodiak posted:

Live.Die.Repeat and Oblivion in the past 5 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BexGu posted:

Tom Cruise was in War of the Worlds and Minority Report, so shouldn't he be 4 for 4?

Unless you're just sneak dissing on Spielberg.

• Locked thread