Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hixson posted:

What if I want primaris marines, but bigger?

Primaris terminators are almost certainly coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Hixson posted:

What if I want primaris marines, but bigger?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deathwatch-...s8AAOSwX61ZEMsI

Or green stuff, lots of green stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Sister of Battle Barbie's friend Brother Ken - now with MK XI Space Marine power armor!

As a fun bonus, there is nothing between his legs - just like a real Space Marine!

Don't forget to buy Sister Barbie's Glam Repressor or her Malibu Dream Convent!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

bonds0097 posted:

As has been stated, yes. However, note that the Captain's special rule is `grants all nearby friendly <CHAPTER> units the ability to re-roll a result of 1 to hit` which means that your Leman Russ and IG Squad wouldn't benefit, just the Marines (assuming you picked the same chapter for all of them).

Ah yeah, figured as much for the special abilities - there had to be some kind of a downside to taking a mixed detachment. This is really cool though and will lead to some interesting Imperial armies.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Looking at a couple lists right now:

++ Battalion Detachment (Necrons) ++

+ HQ [12 PL, 208pts] +

Cryptek [6 PL, 104pts]: Staff of Light [18pts]

Cryptek [6 PL, 104pts]: Staff of Light [18pts]

+ Troops [40 PL, 602pts] +

Immortals [8 PL, 170pts]
10x Immortal (Gauss Blaster) [170pts]: 10x Gauss Blaster [90pts]

Necron Warriors [16 PL, 216pts]: 18x Necron Warrior [216pts]

Necron Warriors [16 PL, 216pts]: 18x Necron Warrior [216pts]

+ Elites [10 PL, 200pts] +

Deathmarks [10 PL, 200pts]: 10x Deathmark [200pts]

+ Heavy Support [29 PL, 584pts] +

Doomsday Ark [10 PL, 203pts]

Monolith [19 PL, 381pts]

+ Flyer [16 PL, 348pts] +

Night Scythe [8 PL, 174pts]

and then either:

+ Fast Attack [9 PL, 224pts] +

Canoptek Scarabs [4 PL, 65pts]: 5x Canoptek Scarab Swarm [65pts]

Tomb Blades [5 PL, 159pts]
Tomb Blade [53pts]: Shadowloom [5pts], Shieldvanes [6pts]
Two Guass Blasters [18pts]: 2x Gauss Blaster [18pts]

OR

+ Fast Attack [4 PL, 52pts] +

Canoptek Scarabs [4 PL, 52pts]: 4x Canoptek Scarab Swarm [52pts]

+ Flyer [8 PL, 174pts] +

Night Scythe [8 PL, 174pts]

Thoughts?

Other things I have if you think they are better than these options: 6 wraiths, a spyder, plenty of scarabs, 2 overlords, a command barge, zandrekh, oberyn, orikan, 10x lychguard w/ shields.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
After watching battle reports and playing some other small games, I feel like vanilla marines need allies. Be it guard or grey knights or inquisitors or whatever.

Marines are incredibly flexible, but they are really points inefficient. They have a hard time competing with specialized armies, because they just aren't going to be able to counter those armies for the same cost. Space marine lists should have a core of flexible marines, and lean on other imperium forces who can fill more specialized roles more efficiently, like guard heavy weapon squads and tanks as an example.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

He got an 11 on his smite and then rolled a 6 on damage twice in that game. :negative:

Yeah the variance is pretty insane, and it's one of the things that isn't really captured well by looking at the average damage done by a weapon. I'm probably going to get bored and play around with probability curves at some point.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

++ Battalion Detachment (Necrons) ++

Did Battlescribe update already?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

After watching battle reports and playing some other small games, I feel like vanilla marines need allies. Be it guard or grey knights or inquisitors or whatever.

Marines are incredibly flexible, but they are really points inefficient. They have a hard time competing with specialized armies, because they just aren't going to be able to counter those armies for the same cost. Space marine lists should have a core of flexible marines, and lean on other imperium forces who can fill more specialized roles more efficiently, like guard heavy weapon squads and tanks as an example.

Just take a cupola predator squadrons.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TKIY posted:

Did Battlescribe update already?

If you are Good with the Computers you can go download the beta files for 8th from the wk40k repo and load them in. Some stuff is probably messed up but Necrons looked right to me based on the numbers I had on my papers in front of me. Necrons are a pretty simple army, very little wargear and options.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Sometimes I'm curious about what forums user TKIY is saying and click on his post to reveal it, and I'm never not glad that I have him on my ignore list when I do.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My first thought is that "Vanilla Marines" is no longer a thing. The detachment rules make it so that you can have any force you want so long as they all have "Imperium" as a keyword. That said it seems like we're already seeing some pretty major considerations from the battle reports and rules:

Yeah this is what I've been thinking. I make a list, then it feels unbalanced, then I realise I can sub one mediocre thing out and bring in a Guard unit which will do the job better for half the price, at the cost of being a total fire-and-forget suicide unit.

I should probably stop trying to fit Pedro in too. I love his model but he always seems more expensive than his mixed bag of abilities justifies.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Sometimes I'm curious about what forums user TKIY is saying and click on his post to reveal it, and I'm never not glad that I have him on my ignore list when I do.

Lol, can't take the heat, stay out of the cupola.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

If you are Good with the Computers you can go download the beta files for 8th from the wk40k repo and load them in. Some stuff is probably messed up but Necrons looked right to me based on the numbers I had on my papers in front of me. Necrons are a pretty simple army, very little wargear and options.

Yeah you can find them but they weren't in general release. I guess I assumed that most people wouldn't go find them :)

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TKIY posted:

Yeah you can find them but they weren't in general release. I guess I assumed that most people wouldn't go find them :)

I convince computers to do my bidding for a living. After building a single list on paper, I checked the 40k repo every day to see if necrons were updated yet before trying to make another list. It's extremely painful to do it by hand with the layout they have in the indexes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

I convince computers to do my bidding for a living. After building a single list on paper, I checked the 40k repo every day to see if necrons were updated yet before trying to make another list. It's extremely painful to do it by hand with the layout they have in the indexes.

Same here. I've been following along on their Gitter and while I understand their approach, I think a temporary 8th repo would make sense alongside their 'hard switch date'.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Yeah this is what I've been thinking. I make a list, then it feels unbalanced, then I realise I can sub one mediocre thing out and bring in a Guard unit which will do the job better for half the price, at the cost of being a total fire-and-forget suicide unit.

I should probably stop trying to fit Pedro in too. I love his model but he always seems more expensive than his mixed bag of abilities justifies.

I wonder if this is an intended effect, or if we'll see tournament organizers ban the practice of having units from multiple armies (or maybe require detachments to have two keywords alike). It provides a significant benefit to Imperium armies while really screwing over xenos like Orks and Necrons. As it stands right now Imperium players don't really have army lists; they have two army books that they can mix-and-match from. This makes it easier to do things like fill out detachments (20 conscripts for 60 points), bolster weaknesses in an army, or do silly things like have Saint Celestine lead Marines Malevolent.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think it was intended. The triumverates that came out in Q1 were pushing the "you can include these in ANY imperium army" thing (Aeldari for gathering storm II) and I think this is the natural extension of that mentality to break down all these disparate factions.
It definitely improves the lot of smaller factions that existed to supplement others, like sisters of silence or harlequins.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soggy Chips posted:

As someone getting into 40K at 8th edition, does FW rules mean they will be 8th compliant?

Forge World is a weird thing that's always existed with 40k. Its a sub-set of Games Workshop / Citadel, so its still first-party official products. Its just a separate label for smaller run more specialty models. They receive rules and are generally always considered legal with the current edition of Warhammer 40k.

Forge World also runs their own game setting independent of 40k known as The Horus Heresy or 30k for short.

Note that some players don't know about Forge World or don't like people using Forge World models since they aren't as familiar with the rules, and the models are more expensive which can make it hard for some players to obtain them. So to be extra safe, ask ahead, but most people assume FW models are legal.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if this is an intended effect, or if we'll see tournament organizers ban the practice of having units from multiple armies (or maybe require detachments to have two keywords alike). It provides a significant benefit to Imperium armies while really screwing over xenos like Orks and Necrons. As it stands right now Imperium players don't really have army lists; they have two army books that they can mix-and-match from. This makes it easier to do things like fill out detachments (20 conscripts for 60 points), bolster weaknesses in an army, or do silly things like have Saint Celestine lead Marines Malevolent.

Once we get actual Codices we'll have real faction bonuses that will require an entire detachment or maybe entire army to have the proper keyword to use those special rules.

IE you can have a mixed Space Marine and IG Army but you can't use Chapter Tactics or Orders. It's how AoS rolls and while some units are strong enough to make a competitive Grand Alliance army, mosey strong lists after the smaller factions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The same was pretty heavily true of 7th too though. Its just a consequence of the fluff, Imperium gets infinite allies where Chaos and Eldar get a couple and everybody else is on their loving own.

Typical GW loves sehss mahreens so they get the best rules.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Another post shows the full conversation about Blood Ravens and FW. It was only regarding Gabe :smith:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Soggy Chips posted:

Another post shows the full conversation about Blood Ravens and FW. It was only regarding Gabe :smith:

:sigh: drat it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It would be silly for them to do this and zero other support.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Why would the Blood Ravens need rules? It's 8th ed so all Chapters are now the same.

With the exception of the Emperor's Special Snowflakes of course.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

It would be silly for them to do this and zero other support.

GW's been real dumb about supporting those kinds of things though. Like REAL dumb.

They could have made Total Warhammer tie in with Age of Sigmar but instead they were like "nah you guys use old warhammer instead"

GW's marketing department is really stubborn and small minded. On the bright side, I'm kinda glad there's no loving sigmarines in Total Warhammer :)

If they were smart they'd have Blood Ravens rules right in the Marines codex, but they're not smart.
For the record I hate the Blood Ravens, but even I'd give them rules for people who like them. Dawn of War is one of the biggest entry points to warhammer 40k by FAR and GW really undervalues that.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Played a test game of 8th today - just the fact that there seems to be streamlining and something resembling basic unit synergy(wtf is going on) in the army books was enough to make me and my buddy immediately play a second larger game directly afterwards:

Psychic powers and Imperial Guard orders... worthwhile?
Tyranid units such as Hormagaunts, Carnifexes and Warriors.... decent???
Rough Riders and Bullgryns... not poo poo?!????

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

JBP posted:

I've always wanted guard. What would you suggest as a starting point? I never roll heavy with armour (I play a 30k EC airborne alpha strike army and 40k Space Wolves footslogger army mainly) and I'd like to get some vanquishers and poo poo rolling out because Leman Russ tanks are baller.

I wouldn't suggest a vanquisher as a starting point because it really isn't worth taking on anyone but a tank commander and you won't want to take a tank commander without at least one other LR. I'd start with just a vanilla Russ with a battle cannon

LRs are waaaaay better in this edition in my opinion. Not only are they cheaper, but being able to split fire weapons is a huge bonus and the battle cannon is way better at shooting low model units now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

Having read most of the Dark Imperium book, where call is saying he's created Primaris geneseed for all 20 original legions and wants to use it because it wasn't the marines who betrayed Humanity, but the weakness of the Primarchs, and Robot tells him to absolutely not do it as it would totally be a bad idea.

So I'm thinking of either Bigly Iron Warriors or Dusk Raiders. My Carcharadons are a grey colour scheme, so I'm not as keen on that. Is there a less Hazard Stripey scheme for Iron Warriors (or 'Warriors of Iron') around?

I'll do a set of starter biglys in that scheme.

Can you post a screenshot of that part? Half of 30k slack doesn't believe it and the other half wants to drink their salty tears

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BULBASAUR posted:

Can you post a screenshot of that part? Half of 30k slack doesn't believe it and the other half wants to drink their salty tears

Can confirm. We are ready for the salt to flow.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Anus awaiting impact.

Also, we are not exclusively 30k chat due to 8th edition making 40k great again.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 8, 2017

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Soggy Chips posted:

This is true, but I can always hope for some chapter tactics to pop up. Once the inevitable marine codex drops there will probably be some incentive to run purely marines, and with the blood ravens having "unknown progenitors" you can totally use whatever tactics you want.

That being said, I would hope they get some way to have a weirdly absurd number of artifacts reflected on the tabletop.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's the chat channel link?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

BULBASAUR posted:

So I'm thinking of doing Warriors of Iron or maybe Children of the Emperor?

Also for lols.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thundercloud posted:

So I'm thinking of doing Warriors of Iron or maybe Children of the Emperor?

Going to make a bigmarine army of beautiful purple boys :sparkles:

e: can't resist letting everyone know they will be :perfect:

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 8, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm definitely doing loyalist thousand sons. Let's me mix models from the FW range in.

Does that last part mean they're going to keep dating things M41.999999 ?

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 8, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's the chat channel link?

We invited you previously and you rejected us

Now you must beg for the slack gods' forgiveness

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
This strikes me as a good scheme for the Warriors of Iron.

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 8, 2017

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
When the new edition drops, are we getting a new thread? This one is great, but unclean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Soulfucker posted:

Played a test game of 8th today - just the fact that there seems to be streamlining and something resembling basic unit synergy(wtf is going on) in the army books was enough to make me and my buddy immediately play a second larger game directly afterwards:

Psychic powers and Imperial Guard orders... worthwhile?
Tyranid units such as Hormagaunts, Carnifexes and Warriors.... decent???
Rough Riders and Bullgryns... not poo poo?!????

How did you find the army setup? Imperial Guard infantry seem very flexible now; they got even cheaper while the more elite stuff, across the armies, seems to have gone up in price.

I am having real issues trying to write a list for my Eldar, which I haven't tried out yet. My cheapest model is 17 pts (Dire avengers, which sucks colossally) and none of my 1000pt lists even have 30 models (I own a lot of jetbikes and fast stuff) - if I take 2 characters, that's about 300 straight off.

• Locked thread