Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I don't want people to die. I do want them to poo poo their pants a little.

Maybe we will get the best of both worlds and they will drown in their own poo poo due to severe making GBS threads Disease, the treatments for which won't be covered under AHCA.

Edit: phone postin, here is an album
https://m.imgur.com/r/pics/5bo6z

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
yeah, I can't subscribe to "they voted for this so they deserve to die." Trump supporters believed him when he said (lied) that he'd get everyone in the USA coverage.

At this point, it's about protecting people from themselves and the lovely decision they made at the polls.

Even if they're still die-hard Trump supporters, think about their families and poo poo.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Aves Maria! posted:

and they'd still lose with anyone who wasn't a broke-brained boomer. they'd be dead electorally with two successive generations

Young Republicans are just as crazy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Willo567 posted:

Was this to be expected?

Probably, yeah. They're all in damage control mode and they're angling that there's just enough they can damage control on in this statement to let them get away a little longer.

No idea what they'll try to do about Mueller's findings.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

waaayyyy more than i ever expected from this situation. dude's still a piece of poo poo and should disappear forever, tho

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/872627741828534272

notwithstanding what anyone said, like what my campaign said, at my direction, knowing it was a lie...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pepito sanchez posted:

yeah, I can't subscribe to "they voted for this so they deserve to die." Trump supporters believed him when he said (lied) that he'd get everyone in the USA coverage.

At this point, it's about protecting people from themselves and the lovely decision they made at the polls.

Even if they're still die-hard Trump supporters, think about their families and poo poo.

How many deaths will it take till they know

That too many people have died?

Like, serious question, how many people are going to have to die before we get true universal healthcare

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

BarbarianElephant posted:

And demographically outnumbered to a significant extent.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

that's cool, but the current 20-35 age group isn't voting for the GOP and if they passed the ahca, it's likely the next generation that's coming of age wouldn't vote for them in the future, either. which would mean the gop gets hosed for a couple decades, at least.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

pepito sanchez posted:

Now they know the Republican party's true intentions... they are still voting for them. I feel bad for them, but how can you help people so intent on suicide? If you try to save a drowning man who is intent on killing himself and struggles so hard he is pulling you under the water too, how can you help without dying too?

There should be psychological studies on what makes people vote for their own deaths.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Like, serious question, how many people are going to have to die before we get true universal healthcare

Realistically 20 years until enough of them have died off they don't have a meaningful voting presence and we can start doing the poo poo we should have done 20 years before *now*.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

notwithstanding what anyone said, like what my campaign said, at my direction, knowing it was a lie...

ya. twitterheads can't fawn over the 'unprecedented and sincere apology from a politician' fast enough

super gross

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Aves Maria! posted:

that's cool, but the current 20-35 age group isn't voting for the GOP and if they passed the ahca, it's likely the next generation that's coming of age wouldn't vote for them in the future, either. which would mean the gop gets hosed for a couple decades, at least.

I hope you are right. Me, I think people get more right wing as they get older.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

300 million, give or take.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's not actually true, the Boomers just lied about being hippies and poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

skylined! posted:

waaayyyy more than i ever expected from this situation. dude's still a piece of poo poo and should disappear forever, tho

if he really wanted to apologize he'd answer the question

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it is my sincere hope that this gift of $50k will do good things, like keep me out of jail where i belong...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember that the culmination of the healthcare crisis helped lead to the 2008 Dem blowout. That and the recession of course.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
To the "nothing matter" crew. No one thing is going to result in the GOP suddenly deciding to impeach and remove Trump.

The thing to remember though is that the only person who can not be indicted is Trump. Republicans in his administration are not immune to legal consequences. Congress people and Senators are not protected. Republican political operatives are vulnerable to charges as are business people.

The longer this thing goes on and the deeper the investigation goes the more people are going to get roped into it.

My personal belief is that it will eventually come out that that a substantial part if not the majority of the elected Republicans and all of these PACs are going to have Russian funding.

One of two things will come from this, either the Republicans currently in office will turn on him just to make it go away before they are implicated or once they are implicated they will be replaced by someone else who is more enthusiastic about getting to the truth.

So yes this poo poo matters. It's just going to take time for it to add up to the point where it overcomes the current political inertia.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
the truth is that ardent trump supporters fall into a few categories at this point : the terminally un-/under-informed, the delusional, or the proactively evil

that's a belief but there's not really any evidence for it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Aves Maria! posted:

the truth is that ardent trump supporters fall into a few categories at this point : the terminally un-/under-informed, the delusional, or the proactively evil

that's a belief but there's not really any evidence for it.

Though if that group is 'just' the 34% the Q poll suggested, we can overcome it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

pepito sanchez posted:

Some of them may be gullible victims who got conned, sure. Like, if they are looking at the current state of affairs and repenting by publicly accepting responsibility for being idiots, fine. They don't deserve to die.

But a significant portion of Trump's base consists of vindictive, evil assholes who will genuinely take pleasure from seeing poors suffer. They themselves will be okay with suffering, as long as those others suffer more than them. People like that absolutely deserve to die as a result of losing their healthcare.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Willo567 posted:

What if someone who voted for Trump did regret their decision, to the point where they switched to the democratic party? I know they understood who they were voting for, but it's something that I've thought about since the election ended

I have no problem with people like this, because they don't want to die and take everyone with them

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Quickly, every one commit suicide now before you get whatever magical age marks you as old and you make bad voting decisions. If anyone needs help, I'll be happy to assist.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

I see it taking a unified political shift from both sides to finally get there. It's a tragic trade-off when it's either a.) let it pass so people learn the hard way or b.) fight it and let a system that's steadily becoming more broken continue so people don't die.

I'm on the side that people shouldn't die. Does Obamacare need a lot of fixing and tweaking, though? Sure, big time. But Trump playing checkers with healthcare; the GOP having no actual, real, better plan after eight years of fist-shaking, waiting and thinking doesn't help their case at all, so, hopefully, it'll eventually happen.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Night10194 posted:

Though if that group is 'just' the 34% the Q poll suggested, we can overcome it.

I'm guessing the number of true "unreachables" is probably something closer to 25%, so I think we're fine come 2018 and 2020

Star Man posted:

Quickly, every one commit suicide now before you get whatever magical age marks you as old and you make bad voting decisions. If anyone needs help, I'll be happy to assist.

every year my hand subconsciously moves further and further toward the "GOP" checkbox

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Night10194 posted:

34% would still represent a majority of the Republican electorate. The overwhelming majority of GOP reps/senators fear being primaried by an ultra-right nut far more than losing to a democratic challenger in a general election.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/872633826803167233

the timing of when the united states will run out of money is inconvenient to me

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"My fellow americans are morons, so they deserve to die"

jesus christ

They voted to take their own healthcare away. They absolutely deserve everything they get. Ignorance is not an excuse on this. They are not a bunch of barely literate two year olds. They are adults, and this is literally a matter of life and death. Do your homework.

As for those who didn't vote Republican who will be affected (myself included) - we are just living in the wrong place at the wrong time.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"My fellow americans are morons, so they deserve to die"

jesus christ

Yep

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

times were different back then but warren harding's sex letters to his mistress will never not be hilarious

*"Jerry" is the pet nickname Warring Harding, 29th POTUS, gave to his penis
** dream as used here is a euphemism for jerkin' it

More like Warring Hard On, am I right?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

So $50K's the going rate for being able to chokeslam a guy and get away with it? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

maybe people get more right wing the more property they have. old people who grew up with post WWII prosperity will be more likely to have accrued some property that they want to shelter from taxation.

maybe it's the particular media environment for each generation

there are plenty of other factors that go alongside age

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I am pretty old and I've swung more left as I've gotten older, plz don't kill me #notallolds

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Reminder that obamacare is actually extremely bad garbage and the US has the worst health care of any first world country on the entire earth and it was just better than not having it instead of being good and people don't deserve to die for wishing it was something better even if their idea of what would help is factually incorrect.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Flesh Forge posted:

I am pretty old and I've swung more left as I've gotten older, plz don't kill me #notallolds

i actually started out as a right-wing shitheel in my teens and eventually landed on "pinko commie" in my mid-20s and I've been there since. this whole "getting older means you're becoming more conservative" doesn't really shake out when put to the test

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Reminder that obamacare is actually extremely bad garbage and the US has the worst health care of any first world country on the entire earth and it was just better than not having it instead of being good and people don't deserve to die for wishing it was something better even if their idea of what would help is factually incorrect.

They've realized what the facts are and still believe that it is fine.

A capital gains tax cut for working-class Americans and a redirection of tax dollars away from private insurance companies and unproductive areas of the US like Kentucky and West Virginia will be the silver-lining. It is just a shame that the fruits of these gains will be fertilized with some people that don't deserve it.

Just don't make any long-term capital gains until you can be sure that the bar will be cleared and you can safely collect the paper gains from dividends or holdings.+

If you have significant realized gains and want to maintain them, just move it to a money market fund and don't make a brokerage withdrawal until you are 100% sure that it applies to the 2017 tax year.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Obamacare is garbage but it's also literally the only reason my hands aren't in crippling pain right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Night10194 posted:

Obamacare is garbage but it's also literally the only reason my hands aren't in crippling pain right now.

It will probably even out and you can just use the new income you have from the capital gains cut to fund the prescription out of pocket. You can write it off on your taxes too.

Just shift part of your portfolio to a monthly dividend fund and use those earnings to buy the prescription.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They've realized what the facts are and still believe that it is fine.

A capital gains tax cut for working-class Americans and a redirection of tax dollars away from private insurance companies and unproductive areas of the US like Kentucky and West Virginia will be the silver-lining. It is just a shame that the fruits of these gains will be fertilized with some people that don't deserve it.

Just don't make any long-term capital gains until you can be sure that the bar will be cleared and you can safely collect the paper gains from dividends or holdings.+

If you have significant realized gains and want to maintain them, just move it to a money market fund and don't make a brokerage withdrawal until you are 100% sure that it applies to the 2017 tax year.

Sure sure... all those working class people that have capital gains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It will probably even out and you can just use the new income you have from the capital gains cut to fund the prescription out of pocket. You can write it off on your taxes too.

Just shift part of your portfolio to a monthly dividend fund and use those earnings to buy the prescription.

are you doing a bit

• Locked thread