Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Right now I feel as if I could watch Nardole wander around the TARDIS and do his thing on the fringes of stories for years, even if he just replaces the Sonic Screwdriver and Sentient TARDIS plot-solving maguffins.

Yeah. It's really nice to have two companions again.

docbeard posted:

(I'm also secretly glad we got a Power of Love ending, because those make a certain sort of nerd EXTREMELY ANGRY).

I like those once in awhile in my Doctor Who, and I think it sort of worked here. Getting past history-erasing propaganda by thinking of the people who are no longer with us and are therefore a part of that history, instead of the more abstract flashbulb history moments. My guess is that the Whitehouse script got some editing to cobble things together into the three-parter. The more that I think about it, the more it would have been a decent episode without the 15 minute fakeout at the beginning we all knew was going to go the way that it did in the end, and the tacked-on RTD-like "People will manage to forget anything alien!" (this time with more intentional mind-erasure) ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I like those once in awhile in my Doctor Who, and I think it sort of worked here. Getting past history-erasing propaganda by thinking of the people who are no longer with us and are therefore a part of that history, instead of the more abstract flashbulb history moments. My guess is that the Whitehouse script got some editing to cobble things together into the three-parter. The more that I think about it, the more it would have been a decent episode without the 15 minute fakeout at the beginning we all knew was going to go the way that it did in the end, and the tacked-on RTD-like "People will manage to forget anything alien!" (this time with more intentional mind-erasure) ending.

Yeah, I think you're right. Cutting (or at least shortening) the fakeout also would give the episode a bit more room to breathe and would make it feel less like we were rushing through the whole rest of the thing checking boxes as we went.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Someone mentioned it earlier but it seems a decent amount of people died during the occupation, and a good deal of them definitely woke from the dream in dissidents prison. Lot to just forget, even putting aside the ruined statues everywhere. But again, the bigger the consequences. the harder and dumber the reset.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X19LnmVoWyE

In which the Doctor confronts an Ice Warrior and Bill meets a mysterious figure in a suit

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The regeneration energy thing; Was the room Bill shot The Doctor in the same room he was broadcasting propaganda from? Because if so then all they needed for it to make sense was for one of the soldiers to say "And the feed is cut" immediately after he starts to "regenerate" before he reveals it was a fakeout for it to make some kind of sense. The room is wired for picture and sound, the doctor spewing regeneration energy would sell "the doctor was killed" to the monks if they were monitoring the room. Of course, if they know about regeneration then they'd also know that the doctor wasnt actually dead (even if Bill had actually shot him), but it makes a little more sense to me that way. Of course, he didnt then use the fact that the monks might think he was dead (or at least had a different face) in his plan at all, but I wonder if in an earlier draft it was a plot point that got cut or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X19LnmVoWyE

In which the Doctor confronts an Ice Warrior and Bill meets a mysterious figure in a suit

Gotta love that Ice Warrior helmet jiggling up and down inside its suit neck.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hopefully the next few times we see London the area flattened to rubble by the pyramid is still there and we get to see people walking past it and just shrugging.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There's so much construction work going on in that bit of London, they really didn't think anyone would notice.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SiKboy posted:

The regeneration energy thing; Was the room Bill shot The Doctor in the same room he was broadcasting propaganda from? Because if so then all they needed for it to make sense was for one of the soldiers to say "And the feed is cut" immediately after he starts to "regenerate" before he reveals it was a fakeout for it to make some kind of sense. The room is wired for picture and sound, the doctor spewing regeneration energy would sell "the doctor was killed" to the monks if they were monitoring the room. Of course, if they know about regeneration then they'd also know that the doctor wasnt actually dead (even if Bill had actually shot him), but it makes a little more sense to me that way. Of course, he didnt then use the fact that the monks might think he was dead (or at least had a different face) in his plan at all, but I wonder if in an earlier draft it was a plot point that got cut or something.

At the end of the day, the regeneration fake out was entirely for the audience. Not much more to it than that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Astroman posted:

At the end of the day, the regeneration fake out was entirely for the audience. Not much more to it than that.

The CGI guys probably needed to test if the regen button still works, for when Capaldi leaves.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yknow up until the three parter, I felt the series had a strong leftist bent, and it wasn't just me, but the three parter doesn't fit that at all. They mention fake news and the Doctor makes fun of religion but still.

And again, the Doctor himself was part of that fake news and spread propaganda, which I felt like the Doctor should not have done but apparently he can be responsible for death and misery if it results in a REALLY CLEVER TWIST SCENE. And it was his fault, remember: If you don't do what the doctor says, you're farm animal stupid! And he told you to turn your friends and family in!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'll say my wife doesn't follow news about the show at all, and she thought he was going to regenerate, so it worked on someone at least.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

If you don't do what the doctor says, you're farm animal stupid! And he told you to turn your friends and family in!

:lol:

The whole thing was really just a gotcha that didn't make any sense and had no point. It almost would have been better if Bill had said "Why the hell did you do that?" and the Doctor answered "Well, let's just say that the monks needed to boost their ratings. Something for the previews. ;)"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm choosing to believe that the Doctor had already deprogrammed everyone working at those internment camps and that their real purpose was to keep everyone who knew the truth safe from the people who didn't.

It's no more ludicrous than anything else in the episode.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I must have missed it but I assume there was some sort of technobabble as to why they couldn't just shoot the guy operating as a broadcaster like they did all the other monks they ran into?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless the labor camps were fake, I don't see how you could undo the monks and then leave them wondering why they were in a labor camp for no reason.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Unless the labor camps were fake, I don't see how you could undo the monks and then leave them wondering why they were in a labor camp for no reason.

Even if they were, people were literally murdered.

Executions happened.

Those people are dead and no one gives a poo poo. This is the worst reset button

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
this episode is cool because it isn't very good to begin with and thinking about it even for a second makes it seem much worse

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's one of many reasons the prison camps thing was too over the top. Just have everything be a more subtle form of control that doesn't involve jack-booted, uniformed soldiers. Then there aren't hordes of vans or uniforms or dead people, just a bunch of eerie statues and posters. It's still a stupid reset button, but it isn't quite as infuriating.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

How many of those who withstood the monks reprogramming that survived are now traumatised for life? Since they didn't get their memories controlled the first time it's likely that they also didn't when the monks left so are now stuck babbling about the time aliens took over for six months while everyone thinks they are crazy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yes, but the important thing is that Bill didn't die. Happy ending!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

How many of those who withstood the monks reprogramming that survived are now traumatised for life? Since they didn't get their memories controlled the first time it's likely that they also didn't when the monks left so are now stuck babbling about the time aliens took over for six months while everyone thinks they are crazy.

That's depressing.

Welp, onto the next adventure in space and time!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Thousands of people world wide had good-paying positions with the Memory Police and thought they had job security for life.

Then it was gone in an instant.

MY COLUMN

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's funny, because Moffat spent an entire season, a really good season even, creating a big giant reset button that erased all the consequences faced by Earth during the RTD years, and now, when we get big dumb RTD style Earth stories, he just makes sure to reset the consequences right away. No fuss, no great explanation, just, eh, nobody remembers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

remusclaw posted:

It's funny, because Moffat spent an entire season, a really good season even, creating a big giant reset button that erased all the consequences faced by Earth during the RTD years, and now, when we get big dumb RTD style Earth stories, he just makes sure to reset the consequences right away. No fuss, no great explanation, just, eh, nobody remembers.

Yeah no one remembers why dad is dead or what happened to Jimmy down the street.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On the plus side, it did make me think about what would happen if the Monks pulled that consent from love stuff on the Daleks.

Daleks send a squad of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them.
Monks: Consent
Daleks send a larger squad of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them.
Daleks send a battalion of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them with some serious damage done.
Daleks send a fleet of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them barely.
Daleks blow up the whole loving planet
Sole Surviving Dalek: THE DALEKS ARE VICTORIOUS! THE DALEKS ARE THE TRUE SUPERIOR BEINGS!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

On the plus side, it did make me think about what would happen if the Monks pulled that consent from love stuff on the Daleks.

Daleks send a squad of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them.
Daleks send a larger squad of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them.
Daleks send a battalion of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them with some serious damage done.
Daleks send a fleet of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them barely.
Daleks blow up the whole loving planet
Sole Surviving Dalek: THE DALEKS ARE VICTORIOUS! THE DALEKS ARE THE TRUE SUPERIOR BEINGS!

This must be one of the challenges of writing major destructive/conquering villains for the series - how do they measure against Dalek perfection? If they're more dangerous than the Daleks, why haven't they been a major threat until now? If they're less dangerous, then how can they challenge The Doctor?

And speaking of which, how can these time-manipulating monks measure against the Time Lords? Do they only exist now because the Time Lords have been mostly erased? Because if there had been Time Lords around, these guys would have been smashed so fast...

And anther thing that this makes me wonder - are there any stories in which the Daleks start fighting the Sontarans?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
The Monks aren't capable of time travel on any level. They're just good at making it look like they are.

Remember: the Monks aren't good at anything but lying and predicting. They just happen to be VERY good at lying and predicting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

The Monks aren't capable of time travel on any level. They're just good at making it look like they are.

Remember: the Monks aren't good at anything but lying and predicting. They just happen to be VERY good at lying and predicting.

Lying, predicting, and remote eye surgery.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

And another thing that this makes me wonder - are there any stories in which the Daleks start fighting the Sontarans?

Nothing televised I can recall, there was a recent War Doctor audio from Big Finish which covers the Sontarans trying to force their way into the Time War while the Time Lords and Daleks try to ignore them. On TV in the first revival appearance of the Sontarans they do complain about being left out of the Time War.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

SiKboy posted:

I don't think we can be sure that episode even had more than one draft

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Nothing televised I can recall, there was a recent War Doctor audio from Big Finish which covers the Sontarans trying to force their way into the Time War while the Time Lords and Daleks try to ignore them. On TV in the first revival appearance of the Sontarans they do complain about being left out of the Time War.

There's Daleks and Sontarans in Dark Eyes 4 as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Belated Lie of the Land gifs - click to view

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I finally listened to Zagreus over the last couple of days and while it was kind of a bloated mess with some interesting underlying ideas my main take away has been my brain filling out quieter moments of the day making up dumb new verses to the rhyme like

Zagreus at the restaurant
Zagreus knows not what he'd want
Zagreus hems and haws a lot
And never ends up eating

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well that was a waste of an episode. And in no way needed two episodes of setup just to get to a starting point that would've been infinitely better if we had no foreknowledge as to what's going on. Instead we already know why history's suddenly altered and why The Doctor's in the Monk's care putting out propaganda.

Anyone know what happened to the nice family down the street? Why do I have a rifle and a uniform that says "Memory Police" on the arm patch? :confused:

Seriously, how more unsubtle can you get about history potentially being altered than an entire organization specifically dedicated to "The True History"? :cripes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I suddenly had the wish earlier that the War Doctor had been played by Don Warrington.

Of course that would have been a bit problematic as 'the regeneration I'd rather forget'.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I suddenly had the wish earlier that the War Doctor had been played by Don Warrington.

Of course that would have been a bit problematic as 'the regeneration I'd rather forget'.

"I have waded through the Rising Damp of the Time War..."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Happy birthday to Colin Baker!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

Happy birthday to Colin Baker!

And we all know what that means! Even more of him! Big Finish has a today-only sale on; focused pretty heavily on his non-6th Doctor roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Box of Bunnies posted:

I finally listened to Zagreus over the last couple of days and while it was kind of a bloated mess with some interesting underlying ideas my main take away has been my brain filling out quieter moments of the day making up dumb new verses to the rhyme like

Zagreus at the restaurant
Zagreus knows not what he'd want
Zagreus hems and haws a lot
And never ends up eating

Nice to hear someone's as lame as me

Forktoss posted:

Steven Moffat writes a script
Steven Moffat sits tight-lipped
If Moffat hears your tongue has slipped
He eats you when you're sleeping

- "Spoilers Leak No More", an inscription on the walls of the Doctor Who production offices

• Locked thread