Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure, but you don't need to search for it explicitly. That's not how google works or ever worked.

Google also returns results on everything. Like Gloria's name when he searched it without quotations.

Movies and TV never get search results right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure, but you don't need to search for it explicitly. That's not how google works or ever worked.

He first did a search for "Eden Valley Police Department" on its own and got nothing (because they don't have a web presence). Doing a more specific search after getting nothing the first time shows he understands what he's doing.

If he were your average grandparent he'd be on the 12th page of ask jeeves and end up installing Bonzai Buddy. This is a weird thing to be pedantic about.

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 6, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But if he got nothing for "Eden Valley police department" he wouldn't get anything for "Eden Valley police department webpage" either, you add additional terms if you get too many results and want to narrow it down

I'm starting to think this really is just the show being dodgy with showing internet stuff and not subtle characterization :(

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Welp my first google search gave me no results, guess I should just retire from my criminal empire

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

Krispy Kareem posted:

Varga can't even keep his teeth half presentable. All we've ever seen him do in his rolling data center is sleep on the floor.

When he first presented himself, I could have sworn he spoke as if he represented other people (maybe Ray Wise). I think we're going to find he's just a middleman.

I believe he's just a middleman for Goldfarb. The whole thing is for Stussi to sell his parking lot empire cheap to her. In both dinners scene we've seen her, she doesnt seem bothered by the fact Sy and Emmit acts like buffoons and in fact seems amused. That's because she's in on it. Her timing in being interested in buying Stussi's is also too convenient.

Thejaff fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 6, 2017

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i simply cannot take this show seriously because they took some creative liberties with how google works. what garbage

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I agree with everyone that the grimy-mouthed British guy and doofus-y Russian guy's long esoteric monologues are not really threatening or cool but just super lame

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

lifts cats over head posted:

New theory: Vargas has a twin

Sure he has a twin, he's named Varga. Varga is just the one we've been seeing all this time on the show and Vargas is away on business :v:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

Sure he has a twin, he's named Varga. Varga is just the one we've been seeing all this time on the show and Vargas is away on business :v:

They're both named Varga.

When they're together they're Vargas.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 7, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
As it happens, IMDb lists David Thewlis playing both Vargas and Varga. http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000667/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
poo poo, they could do that and mirror the Ray and Emmit thing, but I doubt it. I also think there is no way the widow Goldfarb is involved with Vargas, her wanting the properties for her business is more than enough motivation for her to ignore their stupidity pinheadery. Also, she wants to gently caress Emmit.

I have mixed feelings about this season like most everyone, but I like Varga quite a bit thematically. He is Greed, he is the wolf, and like Duran Duran said, motherfucker is hungry. He's less bulemic, than he is a Roman at a Vomitorium, upchucking just to fill his belly again (I guess those were fables, but Vargas is a fan of those). Vargas is all the sins of capitalism; he's the middleman, the ultimate rent-seeker, the looter, he extracts all value, and provides nothing. He eschews all trappings of wealth and comfort, because even that would provide some value, and his only pleasure is to consume. No one is behind his reach, because no one is beyond capitalism's reach.

This seems preeeetty relevant to today, so I am hoping this season sticks the landing, despite some flaws.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
They finally did a good smart inversion of the absurd anecdotes every other character spouts in Kirsten dunsts last scene in the car and they've totally gone back on that

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

poo poo, they could do that and mirror the Ray and Emmit thing, but I doubt it. I also think there is no way the widow Goldfarb is involved with Vargas, her wanting the properties for her business is more than enough motivation for her to ignore their stupidity pinheadery. Also, she wants to gently caress Emmit.

I have mixed feelings about this season like most everyone, but I like Varga quite a bit thematically. He is Greed, he is the wolf, and like Duran Duran said, motherfucker is hungry. He's less bulemic, than he is a Roman at a Vomitorium, upchucking just to fill his belly again (I guess those were fables, but Vargas is a fan of those). Vargas is all the sins of capitalism; he's the middleman, the ultimate rent-seeker, the looter, he extracts all value, and provides nothing. He eschews all trappings of wealth and comfort, because even that would provide some value, and his only pleasure is to consume. No one is behind his reach, because no one is beyond capitalism's reach.

This seems preeeetty relevant to today, so I am hoping this season sticks the landing, despite some flaws.

I really like this reading, and the more I think about it, the more the season grows on me.

It's cool that Fargo is so popular, despite unrepentantly showing the demons that make American what it is.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Tonight we get confirmation about the alien infiltrators.

Stay alert!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Ray Wise is awesome

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I love this so much :3

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

This is an incredible episode.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My cat got out of her bed when she heard Ray :3:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this episode rules

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I got caught up in basketball and missed the first half. :smith:

The story about the Japanese soldier who manned his post for ~30 years after the war ended is true, in case you wondered, and is mind-blowing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
meemo is the best

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

CBJSprague24 posted:

I got caught up in basketball and missed the first half. :smith:

The story about the Japanese soldier who manned his post for ~30 years after the war ended is true, in case you wondered, and is mind-blowing.

They had to find his commanding officer to give him the orders to stand down, he wouldn't believe anyone else telling him the war was over.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Gotta commend the music supervisor for all the Rebirth. I'm surprised they don't show up more often in soundtracks.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Somebody smart explain the scene at the bowling alley to me.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
clearly that old man is God or something

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Still watching... woah.

Bowling alley is a reference to big lebowski and The Stranger(Sam Elliott's omniscient character in it, not the Camus book) with some A Serious Man thrown in.

Huh DJ Qualls was closed captioned as "The Golem" (which is a creature from Jewish folklore)

Slowpoke Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 8, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
time to post a bad theory because tviv is a bad forum and im trash:

the story begins as a case of mistaken identity

the story is about peter and the wolf

ray is the cat, not the duck

"If you listen very carefully, you'll hear the duck quacking inside the wolf's belly, because the wolf in his hurry had swallowed her alive."

the real wolf is emmit?? maybe??

idk nevermind this theory is dumb

anime was right fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 8, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ehud posted:

Divine intervention by a literal Jewish Wizard.

Loved it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

So, in a season of Fargo that isn't beautiful anymore they make this episode making it the best again

How do they do that

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Ehud posted:

I'm pretty sure God sent Nikki and Wrench back to earth to be spoooky ghost criminals so they can haunt Varga.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yeah, this episode was proper awesome

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Ray needs to hit up a spa. I used to think of spas as 'girls day out' fare but having been to one? My god. If you don't like spas, you don't like relaxing.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

anime was right posted:

time to post a bad theory because tviv is a bad forum and im trash:

You okay?

Well, I have some more thoughts after finishing. They are a little out there. There was a lot of Judaism in this episode, and the title very easily misreads as "The Land of Daniel," and I hate to use an anagram like this, but I'm pretty sure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Daniel is relevant. At the very least, the Dodge Ram Varga's goons drove, and the goat mask one wore are probably referencing it; Daniel has an apocalyptic vision of a ram and a goat. I have a feeling there may be something that relates to the guy at the bowling alley, I'll reread it later.

I might be in epileptic tree territory here, but I got feeling. Also, this episode does nothing especially to contradict or support my Vargas as capitalism theory.

Slowpoke Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 8, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Ray needs to hit up a spa. I used to think of spas as 'girls day out' fare but having been to one? My god. If you don't like spas, you don't like relaxing.

The kitten Ray?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Er, Emmit.

Although, if Ray had learned to properly relax then he might not have had prideful grudges enough to've gotten to conspiring.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Could that Bowling Alley be the Fargo universe version of the Black/White Lodge?
Ray Wise revealing to Yuri that he is going to pay the debt for the Pogroms his ancestors took part in was both chilling and satisfying.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

clearly that old man is God or something

something like a Jewish Saint Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.

IMDB lists his character name as Paul Marrane, and Marrane is the French version of Marrano- the Sephardi Jews who stayed in Iberia during the Spanish Inquisition, and continued to practice Judaism in secret.

Also, interestingly enough St Jude's name is actually Judas, but he is referred to as Jude or Judas Thaddaeus because he would often get confused with that other Judas.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's the Wandering Jew, it's about as explicit as it gets. Paul Marrane is one of the names given for the Wandering Jew in Letters Writ by a Turkish Spy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh thank God Nikki didn't die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh thank God Nikki didn't die

...or did she :iiam: