Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

Hendrix didn't even know about Dumbles

dr d probably wouldn't have even sold him one

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I don't know what to say GreatGreen. Hendrix albums sound insanely good. I guess if you want a Bonamassa album or a Periphery album carefully crafted and flawlessly edited in the studio then it won't be for you but yeah. Are You Experienced? sounds incredible even with all it's odd quirks and chaotic recording history.

that's the funny thing, half the stuff on his albums was the result of dicking around with every possible thing in the studio and jimi was anal as gently caress about recording

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snowy posted:

I like this post.

Also this was one of the funnier music things I've seen recently.

Oh god Wu Tang what the hell happened you were so great, RZA how could you let this happen holy fuckin haaaaaaahaahahaaa
:laffo:

Oh RZA, why would you play with loving Machine Gun Kelly :barf:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I'm not a Joe Bonamassa fan and I'm also not big on Periphery. I don't listen to Katy Perry just to hear studio musicians and expensive production. And believe it or not I'm actually lucky enough to have played a Dumble uninterrupted for like half an hour and hated it, lol.

I'm not saying I require ultimate studio fidelity to enjoy music or anything, and some of the best music I've ever heard honestly has fairly lackluster production. Great recording quality and great music are often far apart from each other. I'm just saying that to me, Jimi Hendrix records are particularly bad sounding. I'm sorry if you find that offensive enough that you feel like you need to insult me personally because of it, especially because my original point wasn't to rip on Jimi, but to say that his music was so great that its full greatness couldn't even be fully captured by the limited recording techniques of the time.

I'd also like to point out that vehemently defending the sanctity of a musician by insulting anyone who doesn't worship 100% of everything that musician has ever touched is definitely Stupid Music poo poo.

vvv edit: I got called a Joe Bonamassa and Periphery fan. I'd say that's insulting considering the context. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 8, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Good thing no one did that in this noble thread.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm not a Joe Bonamassa fan and I'm also not big on Periphery. I don't listen to Katy Perry just to hear studio musicians and expensive production. And believe it or not I'm actually lucky enough to have played a Dumble uninterrupted for like half an hour and hated it, lol.

I'm not saying I require ultimate studio fidelity to enjoy music or anything, and some of the best music I've ever heard honestly has fairly lackluster production. Great recording quality and great music are often far apart from each other. I'm just saying that to me, Jimi Hendrix records are particularly bad sounding. I'm sorry if you find that offensive enough that you feel like you need to insult me personally because of it, especially because my original point wasn't to rip on Jimi, but to say that his music was so great that its full greatness couldn't even be fully captured by the limited recording techniques of the time.

I'd also like to point out that vehemently defending the sanctity of a musician by insulting anyone who doesn't worship 100% of everything that musician has ever touched is definitely Stupid Music poo poo.

vvv edit: I got called a Joe Bonamassa and Periphery fan. I'd say that's insulting considering the context. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I knew what you meant, and I'd chime in to agree but it's not a great thing for me to come to anybody's defense, especially in this thread. :)

I will say that at one point all I had heard of Jimi was when that little 4 CD Ultimate Collection (or whatever it was called) came out in the 90's. It had his sanctioned USA record contract albums and I think that's all. I got it because I was working at a CD store at the time. I thought the production was just mediocre, even if the material itself was legit legendary.

Years later I heard a CD of some bluesy stuff he did and I was stunned. It was the ultimate, "So THAT'S why SRV plays so much Hendrix stuff!" moment.
I mean, the tones on that blues CD were bright(-ish) and loud and clear and I almost lost a little respect for my hero Stevie Ray (that's right, I picked up guitar because I wanted to be SRV, not Vai) because it seemed like, just maybe, SRV had ripped his whole thing off of Jimi's blues stuff. But of course SRV's history is much more amazing and awesome than that. I read his biography and SRV was a legit child prodigy.

That's my Stupid Music poo poo for tonight, God Bless.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Funny story on that note. I didn't pay any attention to SRV until my girlfriend found out a while back and made me watch some live videos. The rest is history. The energy that guy played with, god drat. It's infectious.

GreatGreen posted:

While I don't regret giving you poo poo, I do apologize if that came across as overly dickish. I'm not trying to call you out or anything. This thread doesn't need that and I don't want to be a part of it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Snowy posted:

Oh god Wu Tang what the hell happened you were so great, RZA how could you let this happen holy fuckin haaaaaaahaahahaaa

Someone's gotta pay rent on the 36 chambers, dude.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Antivehicular posted:

Someone's gotta pay rent on the 36 chambers, dude.

Lol

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The film of Hendrix at Monterey is still one of the most amazing guitar performances I've ever seen. Nothing else I've seen from him tops it.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You have to remember, when Hendrix died multitrack recording had been common for just about a decade and stereo vinyls for less than that. Effects that you could find at a yard sale now were being hand-designed and built for him.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
seems kinda silly to point to his albums and say the production sucks considering what everything else sounded like back then

CheesyDog posted:

You have to remember, when Hendrix died multitrack recording had been common for just about a decade and stereo vinyls for less than that. Effects that you could find at a yard sale now were being hand-designed and built for him.

again another funny thing because right before he croaked he built one of the few studios famous enough that even non-musicians recognize the name

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 8, 2017

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Hendrix ruled. But back on topic here's a piece of stupid music poo poo (the endearing kind of stupid you could never stay mad at). This was my first non-bass guitar.

The Epiphone Demon FX, only 200 were made apparently. Want to say I got it in 2001 for less than $200. It had onboard overdrive with a gain knob and onboard chorus that just turned on and off, not adjustable in any way. It was a perfect dumb guitar for a dumb kid wanting to play dumb early-2000s drop-whatever nu metal poo poo.

A couple years later I moved on to dumb garage revival poo poo and lucked into the nicest guitar I will ever own, an American Series Fat Strat Texas Special. A veritable bluesdad masterpiece in the hands of a suburban snot who just used it to play like Stooges and White Stripes stuff through a huge Crate amp. Then I moved into the dorms for college and about 90 seconds later my mom gave it all to goodwill or something without giving me a chance to retrieve it. Alas.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cis autodrag posted:

there's nothing so special about a dick that it needs to be immortalized no matter who you are.

I've been told otherwise. :smuggo:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Funny story on that note. I didn't pay any attention to SRV until my girlfriend found out a while back and made me watch some live videos. The rest is history. The energy that guy played with, god drat. It's infectious.

SRV was another level, there's not too many people I regret never catching live because they died or the band broke up but never have had the option to see SRV perform breaks my god drat heart.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

cis autodrag posted:

i do not understand the male brain at all apparently. there's nothing so special about a dick that it needs to be immortalized no matter who you are.

why did you feel the need to post this you seem angry about penises

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Embrace the penis

Love the penis

Become the penis

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

megalodong posted:

He'd be in an mtv icon show where brokencyde and creed cover all along the watchtower. It would still be better regarded than the metallica one.

similarly to the Jimi chat, I always wondered where Metallica would be if Cliff hadn't died. I like to think he wouldn't have stood for any of the Some-Kind-of-Monster, up their own arses bullshit.
So, would he have left and become a stoner rock superstar, or stayed and help steer the band towards a slightly-less-lovely musical path.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hard to say, he seemed like he was very down-to-earth, but with a really broad musical taste. I think he would've pushed for a more technical, layered sound instead of stripping poo poo down for Load / Reload. Who knows, really? Maybe he would've pursued classical or blues influence even more?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't think Cliff would have settled for the bullshit that Metallica became, I think he would have pushed Metallica into a more technical side but that would require them to fire Lars which I don't see happening under any circumstance.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I think I remember hearing about this. The actual thing that was going to happen is that Cliff and Kirk wanted to do more complicated and more musical stuff, they were trying to get James on board because he's an amazing rhythm guitarist, and Lars would be cut for sure. Hetfield wasn't sure because he didn't want to leave Ulrich in the water. So Kirk and Cliff were contemplating breaking away on their own if James couldn't get convinced to join them. Then the accident happened.

I think Cliff would push for more prog-metal stuff, anyway. Think Orion type stuff. It's really a shame Cliff died so young; someone said that he was a true musician who just happened to play metal and I think that's spot on. That combined with the talent between James and Kirk they had potential to become even greater.

Also yeah, while Hendrix's production seems dated by current standards, you gotta remember he set most of those standards in motion. His records sound amazing for the time when Dylan 'going electric' was a huge controversy.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 8, 2017

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

dex_sda posted:

His records sound amazing for the time when Dylan 'going electric' was a huge controversy.

I thought that was mostly controversial because playing an electric guitar with a full band was the sound of mainstream pop music at the time. It wasn't that Dylan was doing stuff that was too crazy and experimental with an electric, it was that he was selling out/betraying the movement by adopting a more commercial sound. If Nirvana had walked onstage at Reading Festival in 1992, plugged in some keyboards, and started performing songs in a style that incorporated elements of new jack swing, I'm sure some young people in that audience would have felt personally betrayed.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Embrace the penis

Love the penis

Become the penis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc&t=22s

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think Cliff would have settled for the bullshit that Metallica became, I think he would have pushed Metallica into a more technical side but that would require them to fire Lars which I don't see happening under any circumstance.

they talked about firing him back in 85 or so

Thermos H Christ posted:

If Nirvana had walked onstage at Reading Festival in 1992, plugged in some keyboards, and started performing songs in a style that incorporated elements of new jack swing, I'm sure some young people in that audience would have felt personally betrayed.

that would've made me a nirvana fan for life

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 8, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

The energy that guy played with, god drat. It's infectious.

It's called "cocaine."

And a lot of chops, but definitely cocaine.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that would've made me a nirvana fan for life

Well no poo poo, do you think Bob Dylan would have a Nobel Prize if he had just done what his audience expected of him?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Skipped all that Jimi chat to post this, listen to this album and shut the gently caress up. He woulda made insane music and once computers hit he woulda been blowing your minds every year, check out BB King for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJw_XqvsSIs

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

I thought that was mostly controversial because playing an electric guitar with a full band was the sound of mainstream pop music at the time. It wasn't that Dylan was doing stuff that was too crazy and experimental with an electric, it was that he was selling out/betraying the movement by adopting a more commercial sound. If Nirvana had walked onstage at Reading Festival in 1992, plugged in some keyboards, and started performing songs in a style that incorporated elements of new jack swing, I'm sure some young people in that audience would have felt personally betrayed.

No it was exactly like when Nirvana did the unplugged show, amazing. Band purists are always the ones saying "Oh yeah the new album sucks but that one before was great" after every single album the band releases.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thermos H Christ posted:

And way out in Seattle, young Kurt Cobain
Snuck out to the keyboard, started work on a refrain
Snakes in the grass below our feet, birds taking to the wing
Some moments last forever, and some flare out with new jack swing

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

People threw fits when Eddie started working synth parts into VH songs too.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

People threw fits when Eddie started working synth parts into VH songs too.
My favorite thing about that is how it must have driven other keyboard players nuts when (hopefully someone with stronger Google-fu can find it) a major Keyboard magazine (Probably, uh, "Keyboard Magazine." I didn't really follow it, I just saw this once and tripped out a little) put out their "Keyboardist of the Year" issue. The keyboardist of the year was guitar super-hero Eddie Van Halen. I loved most of his keyboard tunes, but I thought people who did much more than left-hand octave bass 8th notes with simple right-hand triads definitely existed and were probably super pissed off by that.

I wrote off Van Halen, personally, after F.U.C.K. came out. It was just getting too stupid. That last album with DLR is actually pretty amazing, though. Needs more Michael Anthony, but it's definitely got the right attitude. I read that the material was mostly old unreleased song ideas, and it certainly sounds that way to me.

I'm rambling. Sucks to be a badass virtuoso keyboard player the year EVH was named "Keyboardist Of The Year" anyway.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I wrote off Van Halen, personally, after F.U.C.K. came out. It was just getting too stupid. That last album with DLR is actually pretty amazing, though. Needs more Michael Anthony, but it's definitely got the right attitude. I read that the material was mostly old unreleased song ideas, and it certainly sounds that way to me.

yeah something like half the songs were on the gene simmons demo from 76 or whenever

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pokey Araya posted:

Skipped all that Jimi chat to post this, listen to this album and shut the gently caress up. He woulda made insane music and once computers hit he woulda been blowing your minds every year, check out BB King for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJw_XqvsSIs

lol

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

the numa numa song posted:

This guy just put a few videos on Youtube and is starting to blow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJhykU8sJYM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL1V8BoDBFc

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hendrix actually performed with SGs and Flying Vs at times, including one with a unique paint job that would be perfect for a signature model.

It was and they sell for like $15,000 nowadays.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Wow a face to Hot Dad. Now I know who to punch.

e: since this will make no sense to anyone else, Hot Dad treated an artist friend of mine disrespectfully and I'm still pretty mad about it.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 13, 2017

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Could it be that the guys complaining about the sound quality of Hendrix haven't listened to the remastered records that were released around year 2000? The records released on CD prior to that sounded like rear end.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

yea but also who gives a poo poo it's jimi hendrix lol if you listen to that on the reg.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

yea but also who gives a poo poo it's jimi hendrix lol if you listen to that on the reg.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dr. Faustus posted:

I knew what you meant, and I'd chime in to agree but it's not a great thing for me to come to anybody's defense, especially in this thread. :)

I will say that at one point all I had heard of Jimi was when that little 4 CD Ultimate Collection (or whatever it was called) came out in the 90's. It had his sanctioned USA record contract albums and I think that's all. I got it because I was working at a CD store at the time. I thought the production was just mediocre, even if the material itself was legit legendary.

Years later I heard a CD of some bluesy stuff he did and I was stunned. It was the ultimate, "So THAT'S why SRV plays so much Hendrix stuff!" moment.
I mean, the tones on that blues CD were bright(-ish) and loud and clear and I almost lost a little respect for my hero Stevie Ray (that's right, I picked up guitar because I wanted to be SRV, not Vai) because it seemed like, just maybe, SRV had ripped his whole thing off of Jimi's blues stuff. But of course SRV's history is much more amazing and awesome than that. I read his biography and SRV was a legit child prodigy.

That's my Stupid Music poo poo for tonight, God Bless.

SRV was a cool dudeo and I like that biography also. It was in that that I learned that once he sobered up he hated Live Alive because he was out of his mind on cocaine dissolved in crown royal and the entire thing was overdubbed in studio bit by bit (that still has my favorite version of Voodoo Chile tho)

It was also in that that I learned he drank cocaine dissolved into crown royal

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

idgi

edit: jimi and stevie are fine and deserve their status but there are actual interesting things going on in music so wtf lol.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 15, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Controversial opinion: Jimi owns. SRV sucks.

Edit: Both are worshiped by Bluesdads so actually they are both terrible I guess. Just Jimi less so.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

idgi

edit: jimi and stevie are fine and deserve their status but there are actual interesting things going on in music so wtf lol.

Of course yeah but what's the fun in only listening to music released in 2017. I still find new things in old records every time I play them regardless of how familiar I am with the content. Hearing the roots of the music I make today is always going to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they talked about firing him back in 85 or so

And they didn't, so my point still stands sadly enough.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

idgi

Jesus.

• Locked thread